Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Constantine (CW Seed) -- animated series

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 01:28 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Constantine (CW Seed) -- animated series

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l44e3Vd13o4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New York Comic Con fanboys and fangirls got a first look at DC Comics’ favorite demon hunter in the first footage of CW Seed’s Constantine. The titular character of the all-new animated digital series from Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Bros. Television Group’s Blue Ribbon Content is voiced Matt Ryan, who played the same character in NBC’s live-action series of the same name.

John Constantine is a master of the occult who is armed with an arcane knowledge of the dark arts and a wicked wit. With his soul already damned to hell, he’ll do whatever it takes to protect the innocent. With the balance of good and evil on the line‎, Constantine uses his skills to face the supernatural terrors that threaten our world and send them back where they belong. The first-look clip doesn’t hold back when it comes to the demonic violence and blood or the foul language. That said, it isn’t exactly for a young audience.

The series is executive produced by CW comic series Godfather Greg Berlanti, David S. Goyer, (The Dark Knight trilogy, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, the upcoming Krypton as well as the original Constantine live-action series, ), and Sarah Schechter (Blindspot, Riverdale, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow). Butch Lukic (Justice League Action, Batman Unlimited) will produce the series written by J.M. DeMatteis (Justice League Dark, Batman vs. Robin) and directed by Doug Murphy (Justice League Action, Young Justice).

Before getting the animated treatment Constantine had a one-season run on NBC and was adapted for the big screen in 2005 with Keanu Reeves starring in the title role. The new animated series is set to debut on CW Seed in early 2018.
Old 10-13-17, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Constantine (CW Seed) -- animated series

While I''m sort of interested in this, with all the appearances Constantine is making in the Arrowverse, I don't understand why they just don't bring back the show?
Old 10-13-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
While I''m sort of interested in this, with all the appearances Constantine is making in the Arrowverse, I don't understand why they just don't bring back the show?
I think Matt Ryan's schedule might be the problem or he simply doesn't want to live in Vancouver 10 months a year. I'm fairly sure that Black Lightning is taking up the slot that could have been filled by Constantine. So you have to root for one of the current DC shows on the CW to fail if you want Constantine in the next year or two.
Old 10-14-17, 08:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Matt Ryan's schedule might be the problem or he simply doesn't want to live in Vancouver 10 months a year. I'm fairly sure that Black Lightning is taking up the slot that could have been filled by Constantine. So you have to root for one of the current DC shows on the CW to fail if you want Constantine in the next year or two.
The DC shows have taken a drop in ratings and CW has like 6 of them. Do you think they want a 7th?
Old 10-14-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I really enjoyed the live action show. Kind of a sore spot that it got cancelled. Good example of a show I kind of wish I never watched - because I enjoyed it and it was abruptly cancelled. Firefly was the same way.
Old 10-15-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo
The DC shows have taken a drop in ratings and CW has like 6 of them. Do you think they want a 7th?
Everything on the CW has taken a drop in the ratings. Its younger core millennial audience has abandoned live television for streaming.
Old 10-15-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I really enjoyed the live action show. Kind of a sore spot that it got cancelled. Good example of a show I kind of wish I never watched - because I enjoyed it and it was abruptly cancelled. Firefly was the same way.
I have to watch more of the live action series, but I was thinking, here was magic in the Arrowverse done right. And can't imagine why it was only given 1 season.
Old 10-15-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingo
And can't imagine why it was only given 1 season.
That's Fox's doing. They have a sink or swim attitude. They do not prop up shows if the ratings aren't working for them. Prime examples are Futurama, Family Guy, and Firefly. All shows that had a rabid fanbase. But Fox just dumps them and moves on.

On the other hand, NBC chose to prop up shows like 30 Rock and Hannibal. And it was totally worth it for us people who are genuine fans ... even when they can't get the mainstream to watch. Almost like they pick a few shows at a time to support just for the love of arts and entertainment. Or it could have something to do with how the productions are financed ... maybe they had more diversified risk.
Old 10-15-17, 08:24 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

That's Fox's doing. They have a sink or swim attitude. They do not prop up shows if the ratings aren't working for them. Prime examples are Futurama, Family Guy, and Firefly. All shows that had a rabid fanbase. But Fox just dumps them and moves on.

On the other hand, NBC chose to prop up shows like 30 Rock and Hannibal. And it was totally worth it for us people who are genuine fans ... even when they can't get the mainstream to watch. Almost like they pick a few shows at a time to support just for the love of arts and entertainment. Or it could have something to do with how the productions are financed ... maybe they had more diversified risk.

Constantine was on NBC...
Old 10-15-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I missing something here? Constantine was on NBC, not Fox.
Old 10-15-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oops.
Old 10-15-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
It looks like the majority of premieres are down from last year, not just for the CW. Though Supergirl's drop is kind of alarming.
Old 10-16-17, 02:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingo
It looks like the majority of premieres are down from last year, not just for the CW. Though Supergirl's drop is kind of alarming.
Alarming but not totally unexpected with the turn the show took last season.
Old 05-30-18, 10:41 PM
Banned

I just watched the first 5 episode of Constantine: City of Demons and was blown away. This is pretty much straight out of Vertigo/Hellblazer from years back. Yes the animation sucks, but the story was fantastic (and graphically violent).

I won't give it away, but I will say we finally learn a lot of Constantine's back story.

Do yourselves a favor and spend the 20mins or so and watch it.
Old 05-31-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Yeah it was very good. Looking forward to more.
Old 05-31-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched the first 5 episode of Constantine: City of Demons and was blown away. This is pretty much straight out of Vertigo/Hellblazer from years back. Yes the animation sucks, but the story was fantastic (and graphically violent).

I won't give it away, but I will say we finally learn a lot of Constantine's back story.

Do yourselves a favor and spend the 20mins or so and watch it.
It wouldn't surprise me if that cartoon eventually gets out on Blu-ray as a bonus feature.
Old 05-31-18, 02:16 PM
Banned

It wouldn't surprise me if that cartoon eventually gets out on Blu-ray as a bonus feature.
Like Vixen they're going to release it as a standalone movie with 20mins extra footage on Blu-Ray.

It's, really, really good. Constantine lends itself really well to animation because of the nature of the content. I would go as far to say it's better than anything than what was on the NBC series.
Old 05-31-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

CW Seed is doing what I've wanted HBO/Time Warner/DC to do for years. Put on MATURE Animated DC films/Series.
Old 05-31-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah really enjoyed this. More so than even the live-action series.
Old 05-31-18, 07:39 PM
Banned

It really is Constantine: Hellblazer animated. I only wish they invested more into the animation.

There are 8 more parts. I can't wait.
Old 08-04-18, 01:22 PM
Banned

Here comes the UHD and Blu-ray. Good decision. One of their best DTV's by far.

If only the one title that truly deserves to be released on UHD, Batman Ninja got that sort of treatment. Truly their best animated release by far.
Old 08-04-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Batman Ninja is crazy in a good way. But don't go into it expecting a straight-laced superhero adventure. It has wacky everything-but-the-kitchen-sink storytelling you only really get from anime productions. Fan reaction has been wildly polarizing on Batman Ninja.

http://doblu.com/2018/05/10/batman-n...lu-ray-review/
Old 08-04-18, 04:51 PM
Banned

Batman Ninja is crazy in a good way. But don't go into it expecting a straight-laced superhero adventure. It has wacky everything-but-the-kitchen-sink storytelling you only really get from anime productions. Fan reaction has been wildly polarizing on Batman Ninja.

http://doblu.com/2018/05/10/batman-n...lu-ray-review/
I know it's crazy, but it's a lot of fun. When I say it's their best "animated" release I meant specifically the animation. It's getting a 4k digital release but it really deserves the high bitrate/HDR provided with the UHD disc format. Ironic that their best animated release isn't making it to disc format but the shittily (I made up a word) animated Constantine is.
Old 08-04-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know it's crazy, but it's a lot of fun. When I say it's their best "animated" release I meant specifically the animation. It's getting a 4k digital release but it really deserves the high bitrate/HDR provided with the UHD disc format. Ironic that their best animated release isn't making it to disc format but the shittily (I made up a word) animated Constantine is.
I suspect whether one of the animated movies gets a UHD release depends on the whims of Best Buy's corporate buyer.
Old 08-05-18, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Batman Ninja was a Japanese anime studio production though. A bit of a different breed. Kind of like the 4 Marvel Japanese anime series: Iron Man, Blade, X-MEN, and Wolverine several years ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.