Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Splitting Up Together (ABC) -- S: Jenna Fischer, Oliver Hudson -- premieres 3/27/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Splitting Up Together (ABC) -- S: Jenna Fischer, Oliver Hudson -- premieres 3/27/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 05:36 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BY5GTen28jw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SERIES PREMIERE

WITH THE ROMANCE GONE FROM THEIR MARRIAGE, LENA AND MARTIN DIVORCE BUT DECIDE TO STAY TOGETHER IN SEPARATE AREAS OF THEIR HOME IN ORDER TO BE THERE FOR THEIR KIDS, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF ABC'S NEW COMEDY, 'SPLITTING UP TOGETHER'

From executive producers Ellen DeGeneres, Emily Kapnek ("Suburgatory"), Jeff Kleeman ("Little Big Shots") and Dean Holland ("Parks and Recreation") comes "Splitting Up Together," the story of Lena (Jenna Fischer, "The Office,") and Martin (Oliver Hudson, "Scream Queens"), whose marriage is reignited by their divorce. The series premieres on TUESDAY, MARCH 27 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

Lena and Martin were once madly in love. But, like many marriages, time and circumstance eventually took their toll and the romance disappeared. Lena, the perfectionist, fell into the role of caretaker for everyone, including Martin. Martin felt he could never do anything right and gave up making the effort. Finding themselves in a platonic marriage and acting more like a pair of camp counselors wrangling their kids than a couple hopelessly in love, they decide that everyone's lives would be better served if they got a divorce. Still wanting the best for their three kids and facing a daunting real estate market, the couple decides to "Bird Nest" instead. One parent will live in the house as the "on-duty" parent taking care of the kids, while the "off-duty" parent will live in the detached garage, doing whatever he or she pleases while switching off every other week. Could being apart ultimately lead to them getting back together?

In the premiere episode, "Pilot," after breaking the news to their friends and family about their divorce, Lena has to deal with her son Mason's growing pains. Meanwhile, Martin, still feeling guilty about refusing to dance with Lena at their wedding, secretly tries to atone for his oversight and surprise his ex-wife with new moves.

"Splitting Up Together" stars Jenna Fischer as Lena, Oliver Hudson as Martin, Bobby Lee as Arthur, Lindsay Price as Camille, Olivia Keville as Mae, Van Crosby as Mason and Sander Thomas as Milo.

Guest starring are Geoff Pierson as Henry, Kelsey Asbille as Charlotte and Lucas Near-Verbrugghe as Dr. Kasper.

"Pilot" was written by Emily Kapnek, based on the Danish format by Mette Heeno and directed by Dean Holland.

"Splitting Up Together" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format with a 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-PG, DL parental guideline.
Old 03-27-18, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Splitting Up Together (ABC) -- S: Jenna Fischer, Oliver Hudson -- premieres 3/27/

I wonder what it was like when this show was pitched:

"It's about a divorced couple but they live... together!"

*slow clap*

"Genius!" "Bravo"

I like both the leads but this just doesn't look good at all.
Old 03-27-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Splitting Up Together (ABC) -- S: Jenna Fischer, Oliver Hudson -- premieres 3/27/

Kids look annoying just from the promo shot. I'll give it a record for Fischer but I have no hopes for it.
Old 03-27-18, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks just awful.

I don't expect this to make a second season and hope Pam goes back to the eventual The Office reboot.
Old 03-27-18, 10:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

Anyone see this? Thoughts?
Old 03-28-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Completely DOA. Not funny at all.
Old 03-28-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks like this should have been a 100 minutes rom/com feature film instead of a series.
Old 03-28-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Completely DOA. Not funny at all.
The biggest hurdle to overcome is that there is pretty much 0% chemistry between Oliver Hudson and Jenna Fischer. Two actors that I like but any interaction between the two on the show were just flatter than the wheat fields in Kansas. I also recognized and have enjoyed the performances of a bunch of the supporting cast on other shows but they were a non-factor in whether or not I enjoyed the show.

Again...I really like the cast on this show but I suspect my knee-jerk reaction that this is a swing and a miss will not change with time.

This may seem like an odd thing to add to my comment, but I have been thinking about the instant chemistry that Swoosie Kurtz's guest starring character had with Clayne Crawford's character on Fox's Lethal Weapon reboot. They just instantly clicked and it was a treat to see them riff off of each other anytime they shared the screen. I think a little chemistry between Jenna and Oliver's characters would go a long way.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 03-28-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Its funny that they have no chemistry. I was flipping the dial last week and saw Fisher/Martin on some random talk show and stopped to watch for a minute or two. They were both claiming how much the other one was exactly like their spouse in real life and how easy it was to connect on screen because of it.

Don't think this show sounds too good so I wont likely tune in to watch especially with the feedback above.
Old 03-29-18, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Its funny that they have no chemistry. I was flipping the dial last week and saw Fisher/Martin on some random talk show and stopped to watch for a minute or two. They were both claiming how much the other one was exactly like their spouse in real life and how easy it was to connect on screen because of it.

Don't think this show sounds too good so I wont likely tune in to watch especially with the feedback above.
There was a blind item that they are apparently cheating on their spouses with each other. Who knows.
Old 03-29-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
There was a blind item that they are apparently cheating on their spouses with each other. Who knows.
Fun fact: Jenna Fischer used to be married to Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, but divorced him before he got that gig. She has to be kicking herself for missing out on that Marvel money. Timing is everything.
Old 03-29-18, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Fun fact: Jenna Fischer used to be married to Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn, but divorced him before he got that gig. She has to be kicking herself for missing out on that Marvel money. Timing is everything.
I'm sure her Office residuals keep her sitting pretty.

Those two were some of the first "celebrities" I "followed" back in the day on MySpace. They used to write blogs all the time.
Old 03-29-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

Being absolutely serious, I am suspicious of any show with a promo picture this terrible.

Five people in what looks like four different pictures that have been photo-shopped togther. The look on Jenna's face. YUCK all around.
Old 03-29-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
This may seem like an odd thing to add to my comment, but I have been thinking about the instant chemistry that Swoosie Kurtz's guest starring character had with Clayne Crawford's character on Fox's Lethal Weapon reboot. They just instantly clicked and it was a treat to see them riff off of each other anytime they shared the screen. I think a little chemistry between Jenna and Oliver's characters would go a long way.
Interesting that you bring that up as I just binged a couple of episodes of Lethal Weapon recently, and definitely noticed this.

It's disappointing that they don't have any chemistry between each other, as I am a huge fan of Jennas.

One other point, is it just me or does the premise of the show seem like a retread? Divorced couple that lives together. I was thinking about it and the only recent shows that I come up with that may be similar are Marlon and the Real O'Neals. The premise just seems so familiar to me there must be other shows that used it.
Old 03-29-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Also, I know a married couple that tried something like this, both staying in the house for financial reasons even though they were separated and definitely getting divorced. It freaked the kids out.
Old 03-29-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Interesting that you bring that up as I just binged a couple of episodes of Lethal Weapon recently, and definitely noticed this.

It's disappointing that they don't have any chemistry between each other, as I am a huge fan of Jennas.

One other point, is it just me or does the premise of the show seem like a retread? Divorced couple that lives together. I was thinking about it and the only recent shows that I come up with that may be similar are Marlon and the Real O'Neals. The premise just seems so familiar to me there must be other shows that used it.
The divorced staying together thing plus the gay son was the drawing point of the Real O'Neals, so that's where I recognized the premise from even though I couldn't remember the name (so thanks for that).
Old 03-30-18, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a fan of both actors, particularly Hudson (I thought he was brilliant in Rules of Engagement) so I watched. It just didn't do anything for me. ABC has apparently found a template for it's sitcoms it's happy with, and they all just come off as bland to me, regardless of the talent involved.
Old 03-30-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

It seems obvious that the "goal" of the show is for the couple to eventually re-marry. I liked Oliver Hudson on Rules of Engagement, but he's a self-centered douche on this show and Jenna Fischer's character can and should do better. I'm not rooting for them to get back together. Anyone else that either one of them might happen to date is just going to be a device used to bring them closer. I have no interest in going through that tedious process until they eventually realize they were perfect for each other all along and remarry in the series finale. (spoiler alert)
Old 03-30-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I often wondered when this trend would make it to Hollywood. For years I read stories about couples who wanted to divorce but could not afford to do so due to the shitty economy, so they stayed in the same house but led separate lives. Didn't exactly make for comedy, though, because it was a bad situation all around.
Old 04-02-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I liked it.

Hudson seems like he is going to learn from being a terrible spouce and I agree that eventually they get back together again.

I liked the scene with the dance teacher. Went totally opposite of what I expected.

Also this show has been “Developed for American television” so I guess it’s a remake of a foreign show.
Old 04-02-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I often wondered when this trend would make it to Hollywood. For years I read stories about couples who wanted to divorce but could not afford to do so due to the shitty economy, so they stayed in the same house but led separate lives. Didn't exactly make for comedy, though, because it was a bad situation all around.
That story has been around. Years ago my friend and his wife were splitting up. In an effort to force him out of the house, she moved her boyfriend in. He didn't go. In either case I wouldn't want to be around if my ex-wife is banging another dude. And I would find it tough to say, "Hey I need the living room tonight so I can get laid."
Old 10-16-18, 09:50 AM

SEASON PREMIERE

AFTER SLEEPING TOGETHER, LENA AND MARTIN HAVE A SECOND CHANCE AT LOVE, BUT DOUBTS SET IN DURING A ROMANTIC BEACH GETAWAY ON THE SEASON TWO PREMIERE OF ABC'S 'SPLITTING UP TOGETHER,' TUESDAY, OCT. 16

"Sign Language" - The morning after Lena and Martin sleep together, Lena searches for signs that they are or aren't meant to be a couple. Their relationship is put to the test after she organizes a romantic beach getaway and it becomes apparent what's meant to be. Meanwhile, Arthur and Camille trail Lisa Apple, hoping to determine if she is pregnant with Martin's baby. Elsewhere, Maya struggles to decide if she should tell her new boyfriend, Frank, about her pregnancy, on the season premiere of ABC's "Splitting Up Together," TUESDAY, OCT. 16 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

"Splitting Up Together" stars Jenna Fischer as Lena, Oliver Hudson as Martin, Bobby Lee as Arthur, Diane Farr as Maya, Lindsay Price as Camille, Olivia Keville as Mae, Van Crosby as Mason and Sander Thomas as Milo.

Guest starring is Geoff Pierson as Henry, Monica Barbaro as Lisa Apple, Trent Garrett as Wes, Milly Shapiro as Emma Rebecca and Travis Schuldt as Frank.

"Sign Language" was written by Emily Kapnek, based on the Danish format by Mette Heeno and directed by Dean Holland.