TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "American Alien" -- 10/14/18

Old 10-14-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Supergirl (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "American Alien" -- 10/14/18

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14

SEASON PREMIERE

SUPERGIRL

"American Alien" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, V) (HDTV)

HOPE VS. FEAR - Diving back into reporting, Kara (Melissa Benoist) welcomes a new cub reporter to CatCo. Meanwhile, James (Mehcad Brooks) and Lena (Katie McGrath) argue about James' impending indictment for acting as the vigilante Guardian, while Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Brainy (Jesse Rath) struggle to get in sync at the DEO. Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) is called into action when remnants of the anti-alien terrorist organization Cadmus try to assassinate pro-alien leaders, but their endgame turns out to be much more sinister than she expected. J'onn (David Harewood) relishes his peaceful new life, but an outing with an old friend causes him concern. Jesse Warn directed the episode with story by Robert Rovner & Jessica Queller and teleplay by Gabriel Llanas & Aadrita Mukerji (#401). Original airdate 10/14/2018

Yup, now on Sunday nights.

Probably won't get many views tonight from this forum being that it's against football and airing on the same night as the slightly more popular Walking Dead.
Old 10-14-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Supergirl (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "American Alien" -- 10/14/18

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
airing on the same night as the slightly more popular Walking Dead.
Slightly? Supergirl was getting 1.9m last season, while TWD saw it's lowest viewership since s2 and still pulled in 7.8m. I'd think 4x the viewership garners a different word than slightly, haha.

But yeah IDK what they thought about when putting Supergirl up against football, unless they were hoping to catch all the people boycotting the NFL because of that silly stuff with Kaep. But most of the people who take issue with what Kaep did also take issue with the political agendas Supergirl pushes, so that's likely not going to pull in those people.
Old 10-14-18, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Slightly? Supergirl was getting 1.9m last season, while TWD saw it's lowest viewership since s2 and still pulled in 7.8m. I'd think 4x the viewership garners a different word than slightly, haha.

But yeah IDK what they thought about when putting Supergirl up against football, unless they were hoping to catch all the people boycotting the NFL because of that silly stuff with Kaep. But most of the people who take issue with what Kaep did also take issue with the political agendas Supergirl pushes, so that's likely not going to pull in those people.
It's all about the female audience. After all, they paired it with "Charmed".
Old 10-15-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They figure the audience can't get much lower on Supergirl, even on Sunday nights against better competition.

It's been said that because of streaming rights fees and home video sales, the CW superhero shows can be profitably run without any broadcast audience. That is why almost none of the licensed properties are getting canceled on the CW. They make jokes about it on other TV sites.
Old 10-15-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As for last night's episode.

Probably one of the better Supergirl episodes in awhile.

Like seeing Rhona Mitra on this as the new villain.

and it looks like the cat is finally out of the bag with the POTUS being an alien.

Seems like Brainy is basically taking on the exact same role as Wynn.

Nicole Maines (Nia) kind of reminds me of Kara from season 1. We'll see how she fits in.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-15-18 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The whole episode, even MM and SGs little argument, was basically mirroring the current rl political state of how white people would never truly understand where black people are coming from because they've never been in their shoes and lived from their prospective with the racial issues being presented. Just because SG thought she understood, because she was an alien too, she didn't, because she was seeing things from a different prospective without realizing it.
Old 10-15-18, 09:48 PM

Supergirl: Season 4 is currently $3.99 at Amazon. It's obviously a misprice, so grab it quick.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-16-18, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
The whole episode, even MM and SGs little argument, was basically mirroring the current rl political state of how white people would never truly understand where black people are coming from because they've never been in their shoes and lived from their prospective with the racial issues being presented. Just because SG thought she understood, because she was an alien too, she didn't, because she was seeing things from a different prospective without realizing it.
We got it. Everybody got it. This show is so heavyhanded no one could miss the message they're trying to send. They might as well rename the show X-Men and be done with it. Was the Supergirl character/comic ever an allegory for racism? It all seems so misplaced.

The only reason I watch it now is for the crossovers. I don't really enjoy being beaten over the head every time I watch a show.
Old 10-16-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I doubt everybody is getting it. If they don't like having to think about things from the perspective of minorities in this country they are always welcome to drop the show and watch more Fox News.

I thought the premiere was a great return to form. Easy to do given how badly the much of the Reign story line was executed. And I've always been a Rhona Mitra fan. But at the end I was left wondering if we were supposed t recognize the person in the metallic mask.
Old 10-16-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
The only reason I watch it now is for the crossovers.
I stopped watching all the shows, but I do watch the crossover events, which I learn about from these threads.
Old 10-16-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Actually I doubt everybody is getting it. If they don't like having to think about things from the perspective of minorities in this country they are always welcome to drop the show and watch more Fox News.

I thought the premiere was a great return to form. Easy to do given how badly the much of the Reign story line was executed. And I've always been a Rhona Mitra fan. But at the end I was left wondering if we were supposed t recognize the person in the metallic mask.
We're already having this argument and we're only one episode in. I love your first response is if you don't like it don't watch.

Nobody is arguing the show shouldn't be about the issues they're bringing up, just do it better so it doesn't feel like they're beating you over the head with it. Black Lightning is a fine example of a superhero show which is dealing with social justice issues in a fun, creative way.

Poor writing is the issue here, not the topics they're dealing with.
Old 10-16-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We're already having this argument and we're only one episode in.
They key is I suspect we both know it isn't going to change anytime soon given I've been reading these Supergirl threads since S1 and nothing has changed in regards to what the show supposedly does wrong (dare to advocate for minorities and women). So my comment wasn't just about that episode.
Old 10-16-18, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They key is I suspect we both know it isn't going to change anytime soon given I've been reading these Supergirl threads since S1 and nothing has changed in regards to what the show supposedly does wrong (dare to advocate for minorities and women). So my comment wasn't just about that episode.
Your response shows you totally missed the point of my post (or you didn't bother to read past the first sentence).
Old 10-16-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your response shows you totally missed the point of my post (or you didn't bother to read past the first sentence).
I read the whole thing despite the first sentence being all I needed to read. As I posted before, it's been the same since S1 so why do those that don't like the she show's "politics" (not really politics) keep watching?
Old 10-16-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read the whole thing despite the first sentence being all I needed to read. As I posted before, it's been the same since S1 so why do those that don't like the she show's "politics" (not really politics) keep watching?
So you read the whole post, saw that I said that politics wasn't the issue, writing was, yet that's still the issue?