Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Roseanne (ABC) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 3/27/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Roseanne (ABC) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 3/27/18

I wasn't too sure about this at the start. It just felt too broad, but then I started to fall more into the rhythms of out. By the second half and with the end of the political feud, I was really enjoying it. It was refreshing to see an old fashioned sitcom done well again.

I can see some people's gripes about the performances, but they felt pretty in line with what those actors had done previously with these roles. I just hope they end up giving Metcalf more to do.
Old 03-28-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
Huge overnight ratings! The overall hour had 18.16 million viewers and a 5.1 in the 18-49 demo (8-8:30 was a 4.9, 8:30-9 was a 5.3).
Roseanne has been smart in promoting this as she hasn't really taken a shot at Trump as she is trying to get the other half of the country to watch too (who are turned off by Liberal Late Night Shows, etc.) If they can play it straight with both sides then I think she can hold a big audience each week if it stays good.

Last edited by mcnabb; 03-28-18 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
Huge overnight ratings! The overall hour had 18.16 million viewers and a 5.1 in the 18-49 demo (8-8:30 was a 4.9, 8:30-9 was a 5.3).
Those are monster numbers in today's network climate. If they keep even half of those numbers, it's getting a full season next year.
Old 03-28-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It was pretty good, I had some laughs, I'll tune in, but if it gets more than 13 eps next season, I don't think I'd keep up.
Old 03-28-18, 01:01 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Those are monster numbers in today's network climate. If they keep even half of those numbers, it's getting a full season next year.
Maybe 13 episodes, but it’s highly unlikely it will get 22.
Old 03-28-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

LOL at the placenta joke!
Old 03-28-18, 02:36 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

I watched it, and I enjoyed it for the most part. There were some things that bugged me though:

• For a show that is so good about easter egg details (Godzilla, the Chicken Shirt, the original fridge in the garage)... there were other details that I missed from the original series. Most notably, the exterior shots were so quick, where as the old show usually had a montage of a few different shots to set up the scene. It's super minor... but it stood out to me like a sore

• I love John Goodman, but he definitely felt "off" in this. Especially in the first episode, he felt very "old man" with a lot of his delivery. Half the time, he would just stare off into space waiting for it to be his turn to read say his line. It didn't feel natural at all.

• They need to give Lecy better material to work with... she was easily the weakest link on the show.

• I hated when they turned Jackie into WACKIE JACKIE in Season 7 through 9, and was hoping we wouldn't get that here. While she doesn't seem as crazy, she still seems to be a caricature of herself.

Those things aside, I am glad it's back as this used to be one of my favorite shows back in the day, and I've probably rewatched the series at least three times all the way through. Would love to see this go for a few seasons!
Old 03-28-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matto1020
I watched it, and I enjoyed it for the most part. There were some things that bugged me though:

• I love John Goodman, but he definitely felt "off" in this. Especially in the first episode, he felt very "old man" with a lot of his delivery. Half the time, he would just stare off into space waiting for it to be his turn to read say his line. It didn't feel natural at all.

• They need to give Lecy better material to work with... she was easily the weakest link on the show.
Agree about Goodman, but I think they need to give DJ and Jerry better (or more) material to work with. The Conner boys definitely got short changed in these 2 episodes.
Old 03-28-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

If it comes back for another limited season run, I hope it happens in the fall so they could do another Roseanne Halloween show. Those where my favorite memories watching Roseanne.
Old 03-28-18, 04:48 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

In the wake of the Roseanne revival premiere’s blockbuster ratings performance, it’s “a foregone conclusion” that ABC will renew the series for an additional season, a source close to the show tells TVLine. In fact, TVLine has learned that preliminary conversations about a second revival season (aka Season 11) were already underway long before Tuesday’s ratings came in. (TVLine has reached out to ABC for a comment, but we have yet to hear back.)

Earlier this week, co-showrunner Whitney Cummings expressed confidence about the show’s renewal prospects, telling me on The TVLine Podcast that it’s just a matter of getting everyone’s “schedules to align.” Co-star (and recent Oscar nominee) Laurie Metcalf could prove the most challenging to pin down. “Laurie can’t stop getting nominated for awards,” Cummings noted with a laugh. “[Hopefully] we can find a way to get her for a couple months straight. From what I gather, everyone is ready to do it again. Everybody wants to do it again.”

And that everyone includes titular star Roseanne Barr. “We all want to keep doing it,” she told the New York Times, “so we just hope people like it and they watch it, and it gets renewed, you know, we all want that.”
http://tvline.com/2018/03/28/roseann...1-abc-revival/

They all are set to return for Season 2, which I hear is expected to be 10-13 episodes, up from nine for the first installment.

I hear the Carsey-Werner Television-produced Roseanne has an early-renewal deadline — which is not uncommon for high-profile series — and ABC has until April 15 to pick up a second season.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/roseanne...ut-1202354906/
Old 03-28-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought it was okay. I prefer the kids (Darlene, Becky, etc) when they were young. Darlene was a bit hard to take all grown-up, responsible and a mom now. Didn't care much for the political stuff - could have left that all out. It had its moments. Hope it gets better.
Old 03-28-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Goodman is the only person in the cast who does not need this show for a Hollywood career.
Old 03-28-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Goodman is the only person in the cast who does not need this show for a Hollywood career.
Not that it’s terribly indicative of a Hollywood career. But Laurie Metcalf was just nominated for an Academy Award.
Old 03-28-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I thought this was interesting. The cities with the highest and lowest ratings last night.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...merica-1098125

Roseanne's 10 highest-rated markets
1. Tulsa, Oklahoma
2. Cincinnati, Ohio
3. Kansas City, Missouri
4. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5. Chicago, Illinois
6. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
7. Detroit, Michigan
8. Buffalo, New York
9. St. Louis, Missouri
10. Indianapolis, Indiana

Roseanne's 10 lowest-rated markets
1. Greensboro, North Carolina
2. San Francisco, California
3. Jacksonville, Florida
4. Miami, Florida
5. New Orleans, Louisiana
6. Providence, Rhode Island
7. Salt Lake City, Utah
8. Memphis, Tennessee
9. San Diego, California
10. Baltimore, Maryland
Old 03-28-18, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Final overnight ratings: 18.44 million viewers and a 5.2 in the 18-49 demo.
Old 03-28-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I watched the first two episodes just for shits, giggles and curiosity.
I was never faithful to the original series - watching a few episodes here and there.

This was ok, but I doubt I'll watch any more episodes.

In the second episode with Becky attempting to look younger, she really didn't look much different from when she was last on the show 20 years ago - although her voice has gotten a lot deeper.

One thing I didn't get was that when Becky mentioned she's getting 50k for pushing out a kid, Roseanne said that Dan owes her 200k. Wouldn't that be 150k as she only had 3 kids... or is she counting both Becky's as a joke?

Weird they named Darlene's kid Mark, considering that was Becky's husbands name. Were they doing that to honour the actor who died? If so, wouldn't using his real name be better?

Weird seeing Debs from Shameless as the daughter. I think she's playing younger than the 18 years she really is, but she seems even older because I'm used to her doing adult things on Shameless.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I figured the only main actors that need this gig is the actors that play Becky and DJ. Everyone else seems to be doing well in Hollywood still, except maybe for Roseanne who hasn't done a lot in the last 20 years - but apparently is still worth about 80 mill anyway.
Old 03-28-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

That Becky got a Phat Ass
Old 03-28-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Not that it’s terribly indicative of a Hollywood career. But Laurie Metcalf was just nominated for an Academy Award.
And a few years ago she was Emmy nominated for 3 seperate shows at the same time(Big Bang Theory,Getting On,Horace and Pete) and in 2017 she won a Tony Award.

If she ever decides to read Audio Book's Laurie Metcalf might make a run at an EGOT. She is probably one of the most respected workhorse actors in the planet.
Old 03-28-18, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
One thing I didn't get was that when Becky mentioned she's getting 50k for pushing out a kid, Roseanne said that Dan owes her 200k. Wouldn't that be 150k as she only had 3 kids... or is she counting both Becky's as a joke?
They had a 4th kid, Jerry later in the show. She mentioned him in her prayer in the 1st episode last night (the dude on the boat with no phone).

I didn't care for this much (the politics were too much for me), but I didn't care for the original either. Darlene and Dan were the only tolerable characters for me.
Old 03-28-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched the first two episodes just for shits, giggles and curiosity.
I was never faithful to the original series - watching a few episodes here and there.

This was ok, but I doubt I'll watch any more episodes.

In the second episode with Becky attempting to look younger, she really didn't look much different from when she was last on the show 20 years ago - although her voice has gotten a lot deeper.

Weird they named Darlene's kid Mark, considering that was Becky's husbands name. Were they doing that to honour the actor who died? If so, wouldn't using his real name be better?

Weird seeing Debs from Shameless as the daughter. I think she's playing younger than the 18 years she really is, but she seems even older because I'm used to her doing adult things on Shameless.

I figured the only main actors that need this gig is the actors that play Becky and DJ. Everyone else seems to be doing well in Hollywood still, except maybe for Roseanne who hasn't done a lot in the last 20 years - but apparently is still worth about 80 mill anyway.
Darlene and David probably named their son Mark because Mark was David's brother.
Old 03-28-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Seems logical to me and I saw nothign weird about it. Mark died before he could have any kids so Darlene & David's son was given the name in honor of his uncle.
Old 03-28-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
They had a 4th kid, Jerry later in the show. She mentioned him in her prayer in the 1st episode last night (the dude on the boat with no phone).
I thought it was a “two Beckys” joke ... and I was coming to ask who the hell Jerry is. I sure don’t remember another kid.

At first I thought Darlene was terrible, but as the show went on it seemed she was actually reflecting Roaseanne’s intonations and speech patterns.

Becky was OK. I always was more of a Sarah Chalke fan though.

It seems none of them have changed much except DJ — I wouldn’t have known who he was had they not said. Speaking of not saying, who was the little girl? His daughter?

Two things I thought they beat into the ground ... the politics (though I did appreciate the twists) and Mark’s wardrobe. I’m sorry, not even a 9-year old girl would dress that atrociously.

Why the stair lift? And why has Dan not done any home improvement projects?

If I remember, I’m in for the season.
Old 03-28-18, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I thought it was a “two Beckys” joke ... and I was coming to ask who the hell Jerry is. I sure don’t remember another kid.
It seems none of them have changed much except DJ — I wouldn’t have known who he was had they not said. Speaking of not saying, who was the little girl? His daughter?

Two things I thought they beat into the ground ... the politics (though I did appreciate the twists) and Mark’s wardrobe. I’m sorry, not even a 9-year old girl would dress that atrociously.

Why the stair lift? And why has Dan not done any home improvement projects?

If I remember, I’m in for the season.
Apparently, DJ married a black girl he didn't want to kiss in a school play on some episode, and that's their daughter. The chair lift is the focus of the next episode, I believe.
Old 03-29-18, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I enjoyed it as it was actually pretty good. I thought the first segment seemed off as it was almost like an NFL team coming off the bye week as the timing and jokes sort of fell flat. But by the end of the show, it looks like the actors kind of found their groove again. I haven't watch Network TV Sitcoms in about 10 years, is the laugh track always that obvious? It was ruining some of the jokes, because usually an actor waits for the punchline when it's a live audience is done laughing.

As for the ratings, this should be a wakeup call to the TV networks that have alienated 1/2 of the country with a lot of these shows today. Whether it's the Liberal Late Night, or many shows like Will & Grace that are Anti-Trump, they are just throwing away a good chunk of an audience that won't even bother.

People forget that All in the Family wasn't Anti-Nixon, they had to appeal to a mass audience so they gave both sides each week in a satricial way. Archie was the racist/old school Republican (stereotype) and Meathead was the Lazy/Freeloading Liberal (stereotype) and it was hilarious. I laughed when Roseanne was asked about her politics in real life, as that is irrelevant as she is a playing a character. Do they ask Anthony Hopkins if he murdered anyone before playing Hannibal Lector?
Old 03-29-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
She had a fourth kid, named Jerry after the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia. She had the baby in the eighth season Halloween episode. Notable because the character had been pregnant since the first episode of the seventh season, making it a thirteen month pregnancy. Surprised it didn't come up when Andrea came to the house.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.