Originally Posted by tanman
YouTube has got you covered.
awesome, thanks!

I also agree that a Happy Meal episode would be interesting to see
Old 11-18-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: The Toys That Made Us -- Netflix docuseries -- 12/22/17

I like the topics, but I find the editing a little annoying. The quick cuts back to a person saying the same thing over and over is just irritating. I want information, not dumb editing gimmicks.
Old 11-18-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
The Wrestling episode is interesting for anyone who is a big fan as it delves into the rise of the business in the 1980’s with Hogan to the WCW vs WWF Monday Night Wars of the 90’s.
I was vaguely aware of the different wrestling organizations but it was a nice breakdown of what transpired.

I had a feeling My Little Pony's episode would touch upon Bronies.
Old 11-19-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I don't understand why they glossed over stuff with Legos and now with TMNT. There's more stuff out there about these 2 topics and they didn't cover them properly. The TMNT one basically skipped the stuff from the late 90's and glossed over the stuff from 2000 and on. It's also weird to see them talk very positively about the latest reboot when in fact it has been really panned by fans and critics alike. It's apparently so bad, that Nickelodeon is already going back to the drawing board to make another reboot.

Still, there was something very interesting in the doc that I don't believe it has been discussed anywhere else. Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird had kept very privately the dissolution of their business and friendship. I had the privilege to have had dinner with both of them (separately) and talked to them about Turtles and other stuff but out of respect, never brought up their situation in any of my conversations. Today, while watching this episode, I found out that:

1- Peter Laird had sole control of the Turtles since the late nineties and was the sole owner when he sold the property to Nickelodeon. Until today, I thought Kevin Eastman was part of the sale and half of the money from it.
2- It was Kevin who basically ruined their relationship and became estranged from Peter for years. Everyone knew there was a fallout but no one knew why.

Both of them are really great guys and I hope they can really make amends and work together in the future.

I was a little disappointed that the wrestling episode basically focused on WWF/E and WCW with a little sprinkle of ECW. They basically dismissed the REMCO wrestling figures which have become as popular in the collector's market as the old WWF ones. REMCO had an amazing lineup of figures that includes a who's who of AWA, NWA and other territories. I remember getting the Ric Flair, Larry Zbysko double pack as a kid as well as the Road Warriors. I also have the hard to find Carlos Colon vs Abdullah the Butcher double pack too. REMCO was also the first one to release Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Janetty) action figures. They also didn't talk about how much money the WWF wrestlers made out of those LJN toys. The royalties from these figures was so great that it became a recruiting point for Vince to entice wrestlers from other territories to come work for him.

As for future episodes, they can tackle Marvel and DC toys separately. DC has tons of stuff going back to the late 30's. Marvel has stuff going back to the mid 60's. They can also do an episode about happy meal toys.
I've always gotten the impression this show is made for very casual mainstream audiences - they rarely delve into the real issues that dominate the collector's market for a specific toy line. Like many superficial documentaries, they are more interested in shaping a particular narrative than exhaustively covering what experts would like.

Once I made peace with that, it was easier watching them.
Old 12-28-19, 03:09 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Another great series though i glossed over the My Little Pony one. The bronies thing (and worse) has scarred me for life (not my personal involvement, lol just the concept that there are grown men who do sexual acts with My little ponies)

Power Rangers and Wrestling were my favourites but Ninja Turtles was interesting too. So many companies involved in wrestling over the years.Figures made for some very obscure wrestlers

For all of these toys, it's scary how much there is to collect.
Old 02-26-20, 08:52 AM

https://www.inverse.com/article/6109...etflix-renewal“Season 4 has not been greenlit,” he makes clear. “We need everyone to watch and watch again. That’s what Netflix cares about, as many eyes as possible. To get Season 4, we need everybody to watch all 12 episodes at least once.”

Should that happen, “Season 4 would include Matchbox, Cabbage Patch Kids, Smurfs, NERF. I’d love to do a Dungeons & Dragons episode. I’d love to do fast food toys. But you gotta watch us to get more.”
The following users liked this post:
story (02-27-20)
Old 02-26-20, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

How much Smurf merch was there? I had some small vinyl figures and stuffed animals and still drink out of the drinking glass from McDs (or BK, can't recall). I watched the show every Saturday morning but I just don't recall a ton of toys or playsets.
Old 02-26-20, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How much Smurf merch was there? I had some small vinyl figures and stuffed animals and still drink out of the drinking glass from McDs (or BK, can't recall). I watched the show every Saturday morning but I just don't recall a ton of toys or playsets.
Yes, but there were about 5.1 billion variations of the small figures anyway.
Old 02-27-20, 06:08 AM

Matchbox and NERF would be good

story (02-27-20)
Old 02-27-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering how many times Ive watched each episode, I don't know how much more I can do.
Old 02-27-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Considering how many times Ive watched each episode, I don't know how much more I can do.
According to Netflix, you can watch it 100 times on the same account, but they only it count it once.
Old 02-27-20, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Yes, but there were about 5.1 billion variations of the small figures anyway.
Yeah, the small figures were prolific and included entire villages, etc. Having said that I'd be way more interested in other topics, though.

It's kind of crazy that Netflix's expectation is for people to watch all the episodes. This is the very definition of the kind of show where people will pick and choose the topics they're interested in.
Old 02-27-20, 03:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Unless there’s something I don’t know, none of those four subjects really have anything interesting about them.
Old 02-27-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I can't believe I haven't watched this series.
I remember my cousin having those small Smurf PVC figures. I didn't know they were this big toy line. I though they were from a Happy Meal or some plastic nick nacks they picked up at an office store.
Cabbage Patch Kids were huge and again, I remember my cousins getting in on the craze. I always thought they were ugly. But I guess the appeal was the different versions and the birth certificates.

I guess the reason I haven't watched this show is because I've looked up all this stuff years ago on the internet and already know the gist of this stuff. Not to mention Toyfare magazine would do specials on various old school toy lines as well.
Musclemen? Actually it was M.U.S.C.L.E.
And Transformers...there's too many books, YouTube videos, and websites that give you all the info.
But getting interviews with the makers is a big plus. I want to check out the story on Galoob's Star Trek The Next Generation toy line. As a kid I always thought it looked better than the later Playmates one, since Playmates gave them somewhat He-Man like torsos and poses. Galoob's looked more realistic and natural. It's a shame the line didn't do well. Maybe it was partly because the show was still too new.
Old 02-28-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I've watched every episode of this series, even when the toy being discussed doesn't interest me, and I still enjoyed every episode. I hope they get greenlit for another season.

I get the disinterest in a possible Smurfs episode, but even if you weren't a fan of them as a kid, the story behind their creation is interesting. And that's the main thing the producers of this show are interested in -- popular toys with interesting stories. They've said there are successful toy lines they probably won't cover because there's not an interesting story behind them, which would make a boring episode.
Old 02-28-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cabbage Patch Kids was peak toy mania. I remember that Christmas well - parents were paying double and triple retail for one because they were hard to get unless you knew someone on the "inside." Still have no idea why they got so popular that one year.
Old 02-29-20, 12:19 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

My mom made us Cabbage Patch Kids. You could buy the plastic heads with yarn hair as well as patterns to sew the bodies and clothes. We got them for Christmas and I immediately named mine Han because of course.
Old 02-29-20, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Cabbage Patch Kids was peak toy mania. I remember that Christmas well - parents were paying double and triple retail for one because they were hard to get unless you knew someone on the "inside." Still have no idea why they got so popular that one year.
I won a Cabbage Patch Koosa dog as a prize from a youth bowling league. A little girl approached me asking if I wanted to trade prizes. I felt bad telling her no thank you since I was giving it to my sister.
Old 06-19-20, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Has anyone else started watching "A Toy Store Near You"? There's two episodes so far on Amazon Prime and Youtube. Not the exact same kind of content as TTTMU...the episodes so far deal with how the toy stores are affected by the pandemic. They do show some toys and give some background info on them though.
tanman (06-23-20)
Old 06-19-20, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I didn't know it was out, nice to know it's free on YouTube. Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-23-20, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

I got the impression from recently watching the entire series that it's an extremely low-budget series. Netflix isn't breaking the bank producing it. It also appears the series creator takes on many hats making each episode. I don't think a huge team is producing the series.
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
https://www.inverse.com/article/6109...etflix-renewal“Season 4 has not been greenlit,” he makes clear. “We need everyone to watch and watch again. That’s what Netflix cares about, as many eyes as possible. To get Season 4, we need everybody to watch all 12 episodes at least once.”

Should that happen, “Season 4 would include Matchbox, Cabbage Patch Kids, Smurfs, NERF. I’d love to do a Dungeons & Dragons episode. I’d love to do fast food toys. But you gotta watch us to get more.”
This has got to be a big bang for your buck kind of show. I mean how expensive can it be to produce?
Old 06-23-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the costs would involve flying a film crew out to each interviewee and paying for those expenses. It's obliquely referenced when viewing the special features.
Old 06-23-20, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Most of the costs would involve flying a film crew out to each interviewee and paying for those expenses. It's obliquely referenced when viewing the special features.
Oh wow I didn't know there were special features. I'll have to check those out.