TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ronin TV series from the creator of Vikings in development

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Ronin TV series from the creator of Vikings in development

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...source=twitter

Michael Hirst, the BAFTA-nominated showrunner and creator of both Vikings and The Tudors, has launched his own independent production company alongside his longtime producing partners Morgan O'Sullivan and James Flynn.

Green Pavilion Entertainment will develop and produce high-end dramas for international and domestic markets and is set to work with established writers and directors, alongside emerging talent.

In addition to the announcement, made Wednesday, the company revealed that it has struck an exclusive first-look deal with MGM Television. As part of the multiyear deal, Green Pavilion is developing Ronin, a television series inspired by the 1988 spy thriller starring Robert De Niro and Jean Reno. Hirst, O'Sullivan and Flynn previously collaborated with MGM TV on the hit History Channel show Vikings, which was recently renewed for a sixth season.

To bolster Green Pavilion's team, Sharon Remmer has been named creative director. Remmer was previously head of drama in charge of development and production at Frank Spotnitz's Big Light Productions, with her recent credits including The Man in the High Castle and Medici: Masters of Florence.

"Green Pavilion has been a long time in the making," said Hirst. "Everyone involved in this new venture has experience developing and making premium content which appeals to international audiences. Having MGM Television as an ally in this venture will help us to build on our strengths and draw the best writers, directors and creative talent in the industry to our projects."

Added Mark Burnett, MGM’s president, television group and digital, and Steve Stark, MGM’s president, television production and development: "Michael Hirst, Morgan O’Sullivan and James Flynn have brilliantly shepherded Vikings for the past five years and, during that time, we have witnessed first-hand the quality of artists and talent that this team have expertly assembled to produce premium content on a massive scale. We look forward to continue working with their whole team at Green Pavilion."

Not much info about this. I already see a mistake in the story. Ronin came out in 1998, not 88.

I could see a Ronin TV series working for cable or streaming. Get a decent ensemble cast and film it overseas.
Old 12-21-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Ronin TV series from the creator of Vikings in development

Oh, I thought a Ronin TV series would be about samurai, based on the pedigree of Michael Hirst. Too bad, that could have been awesome.
Old 12-21-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This has some serious potential. Just for the love of all that's holy please keep the car chases realistic like the film.
Old 12-21-17, 09:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ever since I first saw the movie, I wanted a sequel or two with Frankenheimer doing them. Alas. Kind of weird seeing this property being developed, but since I love the movie so much and Hirst is involved, I’m fairly optimistic this could be something really good. But damn they have to keep the car chases aplenty and real as hell just like the movie. I’ll keep an eye on this one.
Old 12-21-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Last good De Niro movie.