Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shameless (Showtime) -- Season 8 Discussion Thread -- premieres 11/5/17

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Shameless (Showtime) -- Season 8 Discussion Thread -- premieres 11/5/17

The Frank part was fine/funny - I couldn't handle the stuff before that, what made the two kids faint almost made me faint. I've become far more sensitive to gore in my old age. Especially realistic stuff - gore in stuff lke Evil Dead 2 makes me laugh.

And for the record - Fiona could easily call the cops on those squatters, and they have zero shot in court suing her - no lawyer would take that case, regardless of her hiring a contractor with no license.
Old 01-23-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by badlieut
I thought the toe scene was a pretty great Frank moment. Just walks in and takes care of it.
Yeah, it's funny because he didn't know what was going on, just saw Deb unconscious on the table, Liam pased out on the floor, the clippers, and pieced everything together.

And I lol'ed when he dumped them down the garbage disposal.
Old 01-23-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
And for the record - Fiona could easily call the cops on those squatters, and they have zero shot in court suing her - no lawyer would take that case, regardless of her hiring a contractor with no license.
Yeah, winning a case like that against an employer is, contrary to what people believe, a longshot. Chances of getting a mid-seven figure payout in a case like that is about the same as winning the lottery.

The best they could realistically hope for is to find a lawyer that can badger the insurance company into settling for a modest sum of $50,000 to $100,000 just to make the case go away so they don't have to waste money defending it. The lawyer takes his cut of the settlement and that's that.
Old 01-28-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, that was a pretty lackluster season with a lot of pointless loose strings that they had through out the season that led to nowhere.

what a waste.
Old 01-28-18, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
wow, that was a pretty lackluster season with a lot of pointless loose strings that they had through out the season that led to nowhere.
Definitely. Not much was accomplished to move the characters forward this seasons. Just seemed like a bunch of things happened and then they got around it in the final episode and everything is exactly where it was.

Does Lip get paid at that bike shop? He spent most of his time on that bike, and he has the choice to sell it or keep it? Who bought the parts for it? Are they paying him to fix his own bike and buying the parts for him? I'm confused.

Sick of Kevin and V (and Svetlana). Their story lines are a waste of time and art totally separate from the Gallagher family - they rarely intersect with the Gallagher clan. They need to bring in a story line that ties in with the family.
Old 01-29-18, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Sick of Kevin and V (and Svetlana). Their story lines are a waste of time and art totally separate from the Gallagher family - they rarely intersect with the Gallagher clan. They need to bring in a story line that ties in with the family.
I think they are my favorite part of the show. Comic relief to the crazy and depressing shit the Gallagher's go through each season. Kevin cracks me up.
Old 01-29-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Was that the season finale? Lol. Felt like just another episode.
Old 01-29-18, 08:27 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Was that the season finale? Lol. Felt like just another episode.
Yes.
Old 01-30-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I liked this season. It worked and everything was funny. There wasn't a single storyline that really didn't have a solid payoff. That being said the whole thing still felt like a coda to season 7 and it was the weakest season ever IMHO (still leagues better than most tv).

I'll watch until the end and I know it's been renewed for season 9 but man.......its time to be over. Fingers crossed this doesn't get drawn out to a 10th season.
Old 01-30-18, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I liked this season. It worked and everything was funny. There wasn't a single storyline that really didn't have a solid payoff. That being said the whole thing still felt like a coda to season 7 and it was the weakest season ever IMHO (still leagues better than most tv).

I'll watch until the end and I know it's been renewed for season 9 but man.......its time to be over. Fingers crossed this doesn't get drawn out to a 10th season.
I think Season 10 is likely.
Old 01-30-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Showtime certainly likes to drag shows out long past their expiration date.
Old 01-30-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

It clearly was a case that the contract negotiations held up the writers in being able to figure out if they were writing for a season or for the series finale.

What happened to the upscale computer dude who fiona had to upgrade the electrical grid for? completely wrote that plot line out for the lawsuit roofer. And there was nothing in her story of real substance. No point to introduce the lesbian characters or the conflict with the one girlfriend that led to nowhere.

How do you get from Lip not knowing himself and trying to find out that to... adopting the girl? And what happened to the other sponsor he needed. Completely abandon. Liam had a few story lines in that he was never in class due to being the token selling point of diversity and then not the only black kid... those were just left by the waste side for the lame Frank stuff
Old 01-30-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
What happened to the upscale computer dude who fiona had to upgrade the electrical grid for? completely wrote that plot line out for the lawsuit roofer.
Yeah, I was waiting for Fiona to get a huge electric bill and then discover that the guy is running some huge ass data center or bitcoin farm in his apartment. Maybe they'll bring it up next season.

Shouldn't Kevin have let Svetlana know about the prenup before the wedding? Or does he just want to get rid of her still? There's no way that wedding can be legal since I assume that Svetlana's name isn't on the marriage license. Where were the kids when they had a kidnapped woman tied up in their house?
Old 01-30-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Emmy wrote this on her Twitter feed:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-31-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Showtime certainly likes to drag shows out long past their expiration date.
This show is still better than any other Showtime show beyond it's 4th season....
But, yeah, one more season should probably be it.
Old 01-31-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
This show is still better than any other Showtime show beyond it's 4th season....
But, yeah, one more season should probably be it.
It's Showtime's president who is the issue. He doesn't know how to say no to producers or his parent company.

Homeland, Shameless, Weeds, Dexter, Californication, Billions.....pretty much any Showtime property that's solid lives well past its natural narrative conclusion.
Old 01-31-18, 10:13 AM

It's Showtime's president who is the issue. He doesn't know how to say no to producers or his parent company.

Homeland, Shameless, Weeds, Dexter, Californication, Billions.....pretty much any Showtime property that's solid lives well past its natural narrative conclusion.
I wouldn't lump Billions in there yet as it has only been two seasons that have aired, though I don't doubt it will happen. The show has been pretty good. The Affair on the other hand... talking about stretching a concept. Nurse Jackie was another one.

I bailed on Homeland. What a shame.
Old 02-01-18, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Except Episodes- that’s one that ended too soon
Old 06-07-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Season 9 September 9th

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>