Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

L.A.'s Finest -- Bad Boys TV spinoff starring Gabrielle Union, Jessica Alba

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: L.A.'s Finest -- Bad Boys TV spinoff starring Gabrielle Union, Jessica Alba

Charter really need is a big hit show to get peoples attention. Do you think Charter will have any success with their original programming strategy? It's an expensive strategy to try and retain subscribers and for a cable business to be going into when there are so many drama series on lots of different platforms. They couldn't really have started ato such a wrong time. I suppose they do have 14 million cable subscribers so there is a good base there already. I suppose when you look at it it's not much different than Sky's original shows on Sky 1/Sky Atlantic in the UK which has 12 million subscribers.
Old 07-21-18, 02:20 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
re: L.A.'s Finest -- Bad Boys TV spinoff starring Gabrielle Union, Jessica Alba

Do you work for Charter?
Old 02-07-19, 11:27 AM

Re: L.A.'s Finest -- Bad Boys TV spinoff starring Gabrielle Union, Jessica Alba

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EM-IjF99iTA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="605" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tdnrdefGscM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-07-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by zeebre12
Charter really need is a big hit show to get peoples attention. Do you think Charter will have any success with their original programming strategy? It's an expensive strategy to try and retain subscribers and for a cable business to be going into when there are so many drama series on lots of different platforms. They couldn't really have started ato such a wrong time. I suppose they do have 14 million cable subscribers so there is a good base there already. I suppose when you look at it it's not much different than Sky's original shows on Sky 1/Sky Atlantic in the UK which has 12 million subscribers.
It's kind of a weird thing for a cable company to get into. I mean, this show is not going to convince anyone to drop DirecTV or to uncut the cord if they've already done it, I doubt the majority of people who don't have Charter will even know it exists.
Old 02-07-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That trailer does look fun, but I have DirecTV, so I guess I'm out. I do have Spectrum for Internet, but that won't get me access to their video content.

Yeah this is a show that pretty much most aren't going to know about or watch like how DirecTV has original shows on their Audience Network.
Old 02-07-19, 12:46 PM

I guess we'll have to wait until they eventually sell the streaming rights.
Old 02-07-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I have Spectrum for internet and they keep calling me offering me a free trial for their streaming service. No thanks!
Old 02-08-19, 01:03 PM

Syd was introduced in Bad Boys II as the sister of Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence), who became a love interest to Mike Lowrey (Will Smith). She’s the star of the show, having moved from Miami to Los Angeles. Executive producer Brandon Margolis revealed that Fletcher, the hacker who helps Mike and Marcus in both films, would also appear in the show.

“When we were doing the pilot, we asked can we get John Salley?” Margolis said. “To our surprise, [Jerry Bruckheimer Television] were like absolutely. Suddenly Fletcher, the character from the films, lived in L.A. and he was with our characters. That was such a fanboy moment for me because I’ve loved the movies growing up and Fletcher was one of my favorite parts that now we get to work with Fletcher and it was so much fun.”
https://www.slashfilm.com/las-finest...rWo1B5AxVXID40
Old 02-22-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Freak set accident. The showrunners of this series were both hurt when a stunt car hit them during the filming of a scene. That sucks. Hope they're okay.

EXCLUSIVE: Deadline has confirmed with sources that LA’s Finest executive producers/co-showrunners Brandon Margolis and Brandon Sonnier were the two people injured yesterday on the set of the Spectrum/Sony Pictures TV series when a stunt car crashed into the video village where they were watching the scene on monitors.

“Our hearts go out to our SPT family members who were injured and we pray for a full recovery,” SPT President Jeff Frost and co-Presidents Chris Parnell and Jason Clodfelter said in a statement.

Both Margolis and Sonnier were transported to local hospitals — San Pedro Peninsula and Harbor UCLA — with serious but non-life threatening injuries. One has since been released. Sonnier has been transferred to another facility.

“We had two injuries, one being worse than the other,” Lt. Philip Heem, of the Los Angeles Port Police, told Deadline Thursday night. He declined, however, to identify the injured.

As Deadline first reported, LA’s Finest was in the last couple of days of shooting its first season, slated to premiere on Spectrum May 13, when the incident happened at 1:35 PM Thursday near Warehouse One at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. In the wake of the crash, filming was halted, with the set staying dark today. There is no decision yet when production will resume.

Margolis and Sonnier are key creative auspices on the Bad Boys offshoot series starring Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba. The two wrote and executive produced the pilot in addition to serving as co-showrunners on the series alongside Pam Veasey.

Last August, Margolis and Sonnier signed a two-year overall deal with Sony Pictures TV, the studio behind LAt’s Finest. The duo started off as staff writers on the first season of NBC/Sony’s series The Blacklist and rose through the ranks.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/l-a-s-f...ed-1202562772/
Old 02-27-19, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2019/02/las-fin...es-1202566677/

Wow, one of the showrunners who was hurt had to have his leg partially amputated due to the accident from last week.

That's horrible. What a cursed set. I wonder if his family would sue Sony for this.
Old 02-27-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow... so terrible.
Old 05-13-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Premieres today for those with Spectrum cable

3 episodes will be available

2 episodes per week for the remaining 10 episodes.

I don't have Spectrum cable, so I'm out. I only have Spectrum for internet and it does not give me access to video content. For anyone who does here, I'd love to hear some thoughts. I know this will get virtually no attention here due to it's limited availability.

Old 05-14-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I am watching it now...

The first episode has a lot of references and callbacks to the first two films. One thing I noticed is unlike other TV spinoffs and followups on “alternate” offers, it keeps the tone of the films so no over use of swearing or violence.

Some things don’t make sense when you think about it but this is the Bad Boys universe so don’t overthink the logic.
Old 06-21-19, 05:42 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone watching this ?

I've made my way through it. It's ok. Alba and Union still look good. They made a mistake with it being one storyline, they should have gone weekly procedural or a bit or both

The shaved head stepdaughter storyline was beyond stupid

Needed a bit more action

Tall Skinny tech guy was the highlight
Old 04-21-20, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, for anyone who might be interested: The entire 1st season (13 episodes) is on sale at Vudu for $9.99

I went ahead and got it as that's probably the only way I can legally see it since I don't have Spectrum cable. Not a bad deal for a very limited shown series.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...ason-1/1396416
The following users liked this post:
emachine12 (04-22-20)
Old 04-22-20, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Awesome I can finally finish it. I gave Spectrum a try out when DirecTV was being a rock about credits last year.
Old 04-22-20, 05:34 AM

I saw that sale price a few days ago and was tempted. It is a good deal, but I feel like this won’t be for me, I’ll get bored of it, and don’t really feel the need to own it. Maybe one day in a few years, after it is cancelled, they’ll sell the streaming rights to make back some of the investment.
Old 04-25-20, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

So I've watched the 1st 2 episodes. It's not bad if you like procedurals. There's a couple of underlying stories like Jessica Alba's character McKenna has a dark past she's keeping secret and Union's Syd is recovering from trauma suffered in an undercover assignment when she was still DEA. The man responsible is apparently still at large.

It's very stylized like the Bad Boy movies and yes there are little references here and there. John Salley, who played Fletcher in the 1st 2 movies, is recurring in this. Captain Awesome from Chuck plays Alba's husband.

and then Ernie Hudson plays Syd and Marcus' estranged father.

One cool thing I noticed is that Raphael Saadiq from Tony Toni Tone is the co-composer of the score.

One drawback I noticed is that this show seems structured for network TV. Violence is pretty on par for what you see on network TV. No sex or nudity and no curse words either at least through 2 episodes. Definitely not an FX or AMC edgy show. So they may be a turnoff for some of you as it doesn't have the "edge" factor.
Old 04-30-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, no one here is watching, but here's the season 2 trailer. Premieres June 8th.

and artwork

Old 05-11-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2020/05/fox-fal...xt-1202930903/

Picked up by FOX

Will air this Fall on Monday nights
Old 05-11-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

So they'll air season 1 (mainly because they need to COVID proof the lineup) but it seems like they won't get new seasons until 9 months after Spectrum airs them.
Old 05-11-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Yay on the Fox pick-up so I can finally watch.
Old 05-11-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
So they'll air season 1 (mainly because they need to COVID proof the lineup) but it seems like they won't get new seasons until 9 months after Spectrum airs them.
They don't need season 2 right now. They just needed something scripted to buy them some time because 9-1-1, their hit show, is probably not going to start filming until later because Hollywood is still trying to figure out how to resume production.

This buys them at least 3 more months. And they probably got it for cheap from Sony.
Old 09-21-20, 11:25 AM

The FOX airings start tonight.
Old 09-23-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Doh, I knew this was airing this week but forgot to record it. Fortunately, I can catch up on demand this evening.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.