Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

L.A.'s Finest -- Bad Boys TV spinoff starring Gabrielle Union, Jessica Alba

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-27-17, 07:29 AM

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,987 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: The Bad Boys hit movie franchise is getting a spinoff TV series centered on the character played in the second film by Gabrielle Union.

No one would comment but I hear the untitled project, which is currently being pitched to TV networks, already has garnered strong interest from multiple places and is expected to land a major commitment. It hails from the Bad Boys movies’ producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Doug Belgrad via his 2.0 Entertainment and Primary Wave Entertainment. Sony Pictures TV Studios, whose movie sibling is behind the feature franchise, is the studio.

The untitled Bad Boys spinoff is being written by The Blacklist writers-producers Brandon Margolis and Brandon Sonnier. Union’s Special Agent Sydney “Syd” Burnett, introduced in the sequel Bad Boys II, is the sister of Detective Lieutenant Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence) who was romantically involved with Marcus’ partner, Detective Lieutenant Mike Lowrey (Will Smith). She is an undercover operative with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). You can watch a trailer for Bad Boys II below.

Union just became available as BET announced that her popular series Being Mary Jane will end with next year a two-hour series finale movie.

I hear the idea for a Bad Boys offshoot centered around Union’s character came from Primary Wave Entertainment, which manages the actress, in the company’s first broadcast development season since it brought in former NBC Universal TV Entertainment chairman Jeff Gaspin as President. He executive produces the project alongside Union’s manager Jeff Morrone.

Also executive producing the potential series are Belgrad and Jerry Bruckheimer TV’s Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman and KristieAnne Reed.

Belgrad worked on Bad Boys during his 25-year career as a Sony movie executive. He was the creative executive on the first movie, which established Lawrence and Smith as feature stars. As he segued into producing with the launch of 2.0 Entertainment last fall, one of the Sony features he set out to co-finance was the long-gestating Bad Boys 3. His film slate also includes Sony’s upcoming Peter Rabbit and the Elizabeth Banks-directed Charlie’s Angels reboot.

Because it is based on existing Bruckheimer IP, the project does not fall under Jerry Bruckheimer TV’s overall deal at CBS TV Studios. Via that pact, Bruckheimer TV has set up three drama projects at CBS: Main Justice, a legal drama inspired by former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder; Unthinkable, an FBI crime drama penned by MacGyver executive producer David Slack; and Whistleblower from NCIS: New Orleans executive producer/co-showrunner Chris Silber.
http://deadline.com/2017/10/bad-boys...er-1202194320/
Old 10-27-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 647 Likes on 454 Posts
re: L.A.'s Finest -- Bad Boys TV spinoff starring Gabrielle Union, Jessica Alba

Timely.
Old 10-27-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

A Bad Boys TV series spin-off focusing on Marcus' sister.... eh idk about this. What I enjoyed most about the films was the Lawrence-Smith duo. Are they gonna call it Bad Girl?

Last edited by Koby; 10-27-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-27-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel like they missed the boat by about 14/15 years on this.
Old 10-27-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 165 Likes on 142 Posts

Missed the boat or not, I love Gabrielle Union (even though I never got into Being Mary Jane)...I really enjoyed her on Life quite a few years back (a show that was ahead of its time).
Old 10-27-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Bad Boys II was 15 years ago. Does anyone even remember her character even though she was DEA?

If this gets made and picked up, they have to market this independently from the movies. No one is going to remember, Oh that's Marcus Burnett's little sister from Bad Boys II!!

If a major network like CBS or NBC picks this up, I pretty much guarantee it's DOA like Training Day. It will only stand a fighting chance if a streaming platform or cable network picks it up.
Old 10-27-17, 01:31 PM

You know Martin is going to be all over this trying to get a payday to cameo.
Old 10-31-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

NBC has picked up the Pilot.

Not really surprising considering some of the creative team behind this work on The Blacklist.

‘Bad Boys’ TV Spinoff Starring Gabrielle Union Lands At NBC With Big Commitment

http://deadline.com/2017/10/bad-boys...on-1202198571/
Old 10-31-17, 02:27 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Who on earth was clamoring for this?
Old 10-31-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Union's management company was the one who pitched the idea.
Old 10-31-17, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Martin Lawrence is hoping he gets a call.

Old 10-31-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 165 Likes on 142 Posts

As I noted on Deadline, this needs to stay set in FL, with Lethal Weapon in L.A. you do not need another buddy cop series set in L.A.. However, I am down for a Fox / NBC Lethal Weapon / Bad Boys cross over event assuming that Bad Boys makes it past the pilot stage.
Old 01-18-18, 11:25 AM

NBC’s TV series version of the Bad Boys film franchise — but with female leads — is moving forward with a pilot order.

The untitled project from producer Jerry Bruckheimer stars Gabrielle Union who plays “free-spirited former DEA agent Syd Burnett [who] has a fresh start in her new job as an LAPD detective. She’s partnered with Nancy McKenna [not yet cast], a working mom who can’t help but look at Syd’s freedom with some grass-is-greener envy. These two have totally different lifestyles and approaches, but they both are at the top of their fields in this action-packed, character-driven procedural.”

The Blacklist veterans Brandon Sonnier and Brandon Margolis are showrunners on the project.

While the series is inspired by the 1995 hit film (which also had a 2003 sequel), the show won’t carry the Bad Boys title (obviously) and isn’t currently officially related to the film (due to legal reasons still being worked out). So this is the “Untitled Gabrielle Union project” for the time being.

So NBC, whatcha gonna, whatcha gonna do for a title?
http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/18/bad-boys...tainmentweekly
Old 01-29-18, 12:40 PM

Ernie Hudson (Grace & Frankie) has been tapped to co-star opposite Gabrielle Union in NBC’s untitled Bad Boys spinoff drama pilot.

The project, from Bad Boys movies’ producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Doug Belgrad, Primary Wave Entertainment and Sony Pictures TV, centers on the Special Agent Syd Burnett character played by Union in 2003’s Bad Boys II. Last seen in Miami taking down a drug cartel, she is making a cross-country move from Miami to Los Angeles.

In the NBC pilot, written by The Blacklist writers-producers Brandon Margolis and Brandon Sonnier, the free-spirited former DEA agent Burnett has a fresh start in her new job as an LAPD detective. She’s partnered with Nancy McKenna, a working mom who can’t help but look at Syd’s freedom with some grass-is-greener envy. These two have totally different lifestyles and approaches, but they both are at the top of their fields in this action-packed, character-driven procedural.

Hudson will play Joseph Burnett, Union’s father.

Hudson rose to fame as one of the stars of the hit 1984 Sony comedy feature Ghostbusters and also appeared in the 2016 reboot, the last film overseen by Belgrad at Sony Pictures before he segued from his top executive post to producing.

Hudson, who recurs as Frankie’s (Lily Tomlin) love interest on Netflix’s hit comedy series Grace & Frankie, is repped by APA and Zero Gravity Management.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/ernie-hu...ot-1202272919/
Old 01-29-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 328 Posts

Wait, what?
Old 01-29-18, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Wait, what?
Is Sony's film division unaware this is happening?
Old 01-29-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Is Sony's film division unaware this is happening?
We don't get shit until they ask for a cast medical. They don't even give us scripts anymore.
Old 03-02-18, 05:24 PM

Jessica Alba to Star Opposite Gabrielle Union in NBC’s ‘Bad Boys’ Spinoff Pilot
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/jess...ot-1202716152/
Old 03-02-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, she just popped out a kid last month...
Old 03-02-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

Bad Boys is amazing because of that visceral reaction I get while watching it. I don't know if that can be duplicated in a TV show. But I'll give it a try.

You'd think that feeling could be copied. But it's what Michael Bay and his crew know how to do, and not many (any?) have been able to do the same.
Old 03-02-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba. I'm in if it gets picked up. But, it's pretty much guaranteed to be a weekly crime procedural.

Kind of funny how Union actually lives in Miami (her hubby is a member of the Miami Heat) and Bad Boys originated from there, yet this series is taking place in Los Angeles.

So she's going to have to work on location in LA for potentially 6-8 months.

Ah, and I see the story says they're giving Alba an EP credit. That probably enticed it to sign on. More $$$
Old 03-02-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 795 Likes on 561 Posts

Why the fuck does Jessica Alba need to work? Her personal care company is worth like a billion dollars.
Old 03-02-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Why the fuck does Jessica Alba need to work? Her personal care company is worth like a billion dollars.
That's what I was thinking too. I dunno, maybe she's bored of counting her millions and misses acting?
Old 03-02-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
That's what I was thinking too. I dunno, maybe she's bored of counting her millions and misses acting?
and bored of sitting at home taking care of her 3 kids.

Some people just want to get back out there and stay busy.

It's not like she's totally quit acting. She did do The Mechanic 2 a few years ago.
Old 03-26-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MARCH 26, 2018 7:52am PT by Alex Ritman
Zach McGowan Joins NBC's 'Bad Boys' Spinoff (Exclusive)
The '100' and 'Shameless' star will play the main villain opposite Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba in the untitled drama pilot.

Zach McGowan, most recently known for his role as Ice Nation King Roan in CW's post-apocalyptic drama The 100, is set to star opposite Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba in the NBC drama pilot. McGowan, who has starred in shows including Agents of Shield, Black Sails and Shameless, will play a slick-suited hustler who runs a nightclub.

McGowan's character — Ray Sherman — has a violent encounter with Union's LAPD homicide detective Syd Burnett (Union, reprising her role from Bad Boys II), who is looking for a criminal he is apparently in business with.

The project revolves around the free-spirited former DEA agent Syd getting a fresh start in her new job. She is partnered with Nancy McKenna (Alba), a working mom who can't help but look at Syd's freedom with some grass-is-greener envy. Both are at the top of their fields in the action-packed, character-driven procedural.

The untitled drama was written by Brandon Sonnier and Brandon Margolis (The Blacklist). The project hails from Sony Pictures Television, Jerry Bruckheimer Television, Primary Wave and 2.0 Entertainment. (Sony's Columbia produced the original Bad Boys films alongside Bruckheimer.)

Alongside Bad Boys, which is currently shooting, McGowan has recently wrapped period drama Damnation for USA Network (Netflix will stream it internationally). On the feature film side, he has both Death Race: Beyond Anarchy and Universal's Scorpion King: Book of Souls, the latter in which he plays the title role, coming up.

McGowan is represented by ICM Partners and Primary Wave Entertainment.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.