Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mr. Robot (USA) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/11/17

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-17, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Re: Mr. Robot (USA) -- Season 3 Discussion Thread -- premieres 10/11/17

Really liked this fifth episode. I'm not totally sure but I think it was done as a kinda-one-take style, like Birdman. Pretty cool to watch.
Old 11-12-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Really liked this fifth episode. I'm not totally sure but I think it was done as a kinda-one-take style, like Birdman. Pretty cool to watch.
I streamed it, but wasn't it broadcast commercial free? I totally missed that it might have been one take (or at least simulated). Now I need to know if it was. Thinking back on it, I can't recall any obvious scene cuts. They moved from Elliot's to Angela's view in the middle of the protest (pre-riot) with the CNN reporterette in-between.
Old 11-12-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I streamed it, but wasn't it broadcast commercial free? I totally missed that it might have been one take (or at least simulated). Now I need to know if it was. Thinking back on it, I can't recall any obvious scene cuts. They moved from Elliot's to Angela's view in the middle of the protest (pre-riot) with the CNN reporterette in-between.
Turns out it was.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/mr-robot...terview-recap/
Old 11-12-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Esmail during the beginning of the after show, it was to look like one take, but actually was not. Just one of the many things that are far easier to pull off these days than back when they really did those in one camera take.
Old 11-12-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far this season has been better than S2. S2 wasn't that bad, but being a rehash of S1 and with that "twist" that everyone could see from miles... yeah.

This season seems to not have a major "twist", but I expect a few surprises as usual.
Old 11-17-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No one watching?

Last episode was really good. Surprise at the end, expected if you were paying attention.
Old 11-17-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this season. The last two episodes have been great.

That said, I think in general we as the audience want Angela to be much smarter than she is (hoping that when she was caught last season it was a feint, hoping that she had an ulterior motive for working with Tyrell and the Dark Army, etc.). If her goal really is just simple revenge, or bringing their parents back to life or whatever, then she is hopelessly naïve and not that much fun to root for.

When she installed the malware at AllSafe in season one, she left a wide path of destruction behind her because of her desire to protect herself from identity theft and, incidentally, revenge against her ex-boyfriend. This latest thing, however, resulted in the deaths of thousands. She must have known it would be an attack on 71 facilities (since she knew there was no way to move everything back to central building in time). And she betrayed Elliott. For what? Vague promises made by Whiterose? Threats on her life? The Dark Army had full access to the Evil Corp building and a key to enter the server room. Why did they even need her? Just a convenient patsy?

Also, Esmail keeps dropping time travel and parallel world hints this season, but I just can't believe he'll go down such a non-sequitur road.
Old 11-17-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, and Email continued with his "great" camera angles...
Old 11-23-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new episode of Breaking Bad was so good.

Spoiler:
Really fucking depressing, but good.
Old 11-23-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm honestly loving this season. Yea I thought of BB too while watching this latest episode, it had that kind of feel.
Old 11-26-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess I'm one of the minority (in this thread) that is really loving this season.

Plot question:
What is the timeframe between the 5/9 attack and the
Spoiler:
the destruction of the e-corp buildings?
Old 11-27-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far so good. The last episodes have been good.
Old 11-29-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm enjoying this season so far. exciting episodes.

I'm guessing its only been a few months since 5/9 but i havent been paying attention to things like the weather or mentions of dates/time
Old 11-30-17, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The most recent episode took place on October 21, 2015, so it's been over five months.

Loved this episode's soundtrack.
Old 11-30-17, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, I thought the "You've had the keys the whole time?" was clever foreshadowing to Trenton's email.
Old 11-30-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
By the way, I thought the "You've had the keys the whole time?" was clever foreshadowing to Trenton's email.
Indeed.

This ep really was surprisingly moving in a lot of very well done ways. Loved it.

That kid who played Trenton's brother was terrific.
Old 11-30-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Had to look up who Trenton was. I didn't care for this one much, at least not like the past few. It was a necessary step to set up the last part of the season I suppose. At least I'm still watching, unlike last season.

Also didn't care for the pass given to the two dead hackers. Sure they didn't blow up the buildings for which they were framed, but they were instrumental in doing trillions of dollars worth of damage to the world's economy and causing massive hardship for millions upon millions of people through their deluded stunt of anarchistic vandalism. These were not good people other than in the most incredibly relativistic terms. That they were victimized by even worse people doesn't make them heroes or even sympathetic. They were nothing more than a drug dealer/pusher being killed off on the whim of the cartel.
Old 11-30-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They were naive at worst. They believed they were liberating the public and dealing a deathblow to a corporation who would, without hesitation, choose a modest profit over human lives. With 70% of credit controlled by E-Corp they believed no one would suffer, since the 0.1% could stand to lose the money. They obviously didn't anticipate that the dollar would implode.
Old 11-30-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
They were naive at worst. They believed they were liberating the public and dealing a deathblow to a corporation who would, without hesitation, choose a modest profit over human lives. With 70% of credit controlled by E-Corp they believed no one would suffer, since the 0.1% could stand to lose the money. They obviously didn't anticipate that the dollar would implode.
Even given the unknown ulterior motives of the Chinese and other nefarious players, useful idiots are still idiots. This was tantamount to burning the world's crops to teach those fat cat farmers a lesson. A moronic plan executed by morons that know computers.
Old 11-30-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
According to Esmail during the beginning of the after show, it was to look like one take, but actually was not. Just one of the many things that are far easier to pull off these days than back when they really did those in one camera take.
What "back when" are you referrring to? Because the first movie shot in an entire single take was Timecode in 2000.

Previously, shooting on film, there were technical limitations to the length of film a camera could handle that limited single shots to a maximum of 11-12 minutes. So early "one shot" films like Rope faked it as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_take
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_shot_(film)
Old 11-30-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

think he probably meant...

Old 12-01-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
think he probably meant [scenes like the opening shot of the movie The Player]
Still, that shot's only 11 minutes. It gets exponentially harder the longer the "shot" is.

According to articles and interviews, the show had several technical limitations that would've made a single long shot impossible, like the fact that they only had one floor of E-corp to shoot on, and had to redress it every time people moved floors:
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/mr-...00-1201895559/
An additional production hurdle Campbell mentioned: “It was just one floor in E Corp. We could only have one floor. So as Elliot and Angela change floors, we had to go in, literally tear down walls, and rebuild the entire office floor for when they come off the elevator.”
There's still some pretty long shots in the episode.
http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/mr-robot...terview-recap/
The longest take was the second scene: Elliot walking from the elevator bank on his floor, sitting down at his desk and then having that conversation with Samar. And that lasted all the way until he first logs in with his computer. And that was the first scene that we shot. I believe our camera operator collapsed at one point, and we had to break for lunch. That got up to 24 or 25 takes. We had not done this before, no one really knew what to expect. We were supposed to shoot that in three hours, and it ended up taking most of the whole day.
Re-watching the episode on USA's site:
http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/vi...ntime-errorr00

I think the shot in question starts at about the "41:07 remaining" point, and Elliot doesn't log into his screen until the "37:27 remaining" point, which would make a 4 minute single take. However, there's a quick whip-pan at around 38:00 remaining, which can disguise a cut, so Esmail may be mistaken about the actual length of the shot. Still, it'd be at least 3 minutes long.
Old 12-01-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
This ep really was surprisingly moving in a lot of very well done ways. Loved it.

That kid who played Trenton's brother was terrific.
ITA. Whole episode was really well done. Really looking forward to the last couple episodes now.
Old 12-05-17, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Terrific return to form for the show in the last few episodes, definitely going places I did not expect it to, and having a bit of a payoff for the second season. s3 is infinitely better but somewhat because of what happened in Season 2.
Old 12-14-17, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Strong end to the season. Irving really had an axe to grind.

Spoiler:
Was really afraid Darlene was going to bite it there at the end. Also, seems like Whiterose really is a true believer after all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.