Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

We don't need spoiler tags for episodes that are available on CBS All Access, right?
Old 09-24-17, 09:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I thought it was good. I’d be willing to see where they go with this if it were going to continue to air on CBS. I won’t pirate it, I guess I just won’t watch. There’s plenty of good tv out there on the services I already pay for.
Except for not seeing it yet, exactly this.
Old 09-24-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I just finished both episodes tonight.

2nd episode was even better than the 1st. Full fledged space dog fight between the Federation ships and the Klingons. It was pretty awesome with incredible production value. They really used their $8M well. Both episodes looked feature film quality. Second episode especially felt like a 1 hour Star Trek movie.

Sonequa Martin-Green was really good as the lead.

The destruction of the USS Europa by the Klingon ship was an Oh shit moment.

And regarding Captain Georgiou's status:

Spoiler:
Yup, she's dead

That was another Oh shit moment, but since she was:

Spoiler:
Credited as a Special Guest Star, it already kind of signified that she was in limited episodes. I wonder if she will appear again in flashbacks.

The scenes from the future episodes look awesome. Looks like Jason Isaacs is the new Captain/Lead since the USS Discovery is now the focal point.

Only thing that I thought was kind of weird was the new Klingon design. Very odd looking compared to how they look in TOS feature films.

BTW, On CBS All-Access, there is a After Trek Live discussion show. Sonequa Martin-Green is the guest along with Michelle Yeoh.

Looks like the cast and crew are still in Toronto filming the show. Sonequa, Yeoh and the rest were coming live via satellite on the After Trek show as they mentioned they resume filming tomorrow.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-24-17 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

CBS All Access isn't even surround sound is it? People in other countries with Netflix get surround sound and decent PQ and we get compressed 2.0?
Old 09-24-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
CBS All Access isn't even surround sound is it? People in other countries with Netflix get surround sound and decent PQ and we get compressed 2.0?
Hopefully it will come out on blu-ray or 4K UHD in the near future.
Old 09-24-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Sounds like CBS had record signups for All Access. We were one of them.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. The preview for what’s to come looks cool too. I’ll cancel the second the show is over but for now I’m okay with it. I spend about as much for a random lunch in our cafeteria as I do for this so I can’t complain too much.
Old 09-24-17, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Meh, wasn't real impressed by the season opener. Didn't like the new Klingon look, actress playing Number One was pretty bad at acting. Michelle Yeoh was okay. I watch the second episode hopefully it get better but I'm not counting on it.
Old 09-24-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven
Sounds like CBS had record signups for All Access. We were one of them.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. The preview for what’s to come looks cool too. I’ll cancel the second the show is over but for now I’m okay with it. I spend about as much for a random lunch in our cafeteria as I do for this so I can’t complain too much.
A full combo medium lunch at Carl's or Hardees can cost about $10. Skip 4 of those in 1 month and you magically have 4 months of payments for this. That's an entire season of this show right there.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-24-17 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-24-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll wait till it comes out on DVD or Blu Ray. Makes me want to start Star Trek from the beginning anyways, going through the series and movies in order.
Old 09-24-17, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk God

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY” BEAMS “CBS ALL ACCESS” TO ITS HIGHEST SIGN-UP DAY EVER

The Launch of CBS All Access’ Latest Original Series Drove Not Only the Largest Subscriber Sign-Up Day But Also Largest Week and Month Ever for the Service

NEW YORK – Sept. 24, 2017 – Tonight’s premiere of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY on CBS All Access, the CBS Television Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service, broke a new record for subscriber sign-ups in a single day, eclipsing the previous record held by the 2017 GRAMMY Awards®.
Episodes one and two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY are currently available to stream on CBS All Access. All new episodes will be available on demand weekly after 8:30 PM, ET on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S.
In addition to its single day subscriber sign-up record, CBS All Access experienced its best week and month ever for sign-ups due to the launch of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, the fall kick-off of the NFL ON CBS on the service’s live local feeds and the season finale of BIG BROTHER and the BIG BROTHER LIVE FEEDS.
CBS All Access will continue to engage “Star Trek” fans tonight with the inaugural episode of AFTER TREK, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY’s live companion after-show hosted by Matt Mira airing at 11:00 PM, ET/8:00 PM, PT. All subsequent AFTER TREK episodes will be available to stream live at 9:30 PM, ET following new episodes of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY and be available to watch on demand.
Old 09-24-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Watched both episodes. I thought it was pretty good. It's kind of like watching one of the new movies with all the special effects and whatnot.

Don't care for the new Klingons but I'm old school and a 2nd change is just annoying.

It's got potential.. I'll keep watching. But I'm not on pins and needles for the next episode.
Old 09-24-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Meh, wasn't real impressed by the season opener. Didn't like the new Klingon look, actress playing Number One was pretty bad at acting. Michelle Yeoh was okay. I watch the second episode hopefully it get better but I'm not counting on it.
Yeh SMG is terrible. Everything she says comes out like she’s just reading.
Oddly overly enunciating everything. Robotic.
I don’t see why some of you folks think she’s good.

Don’t like Yeoh’s use of Number 1.

Anyhow doubtful I’ll be paying for this.

No hurry to watch so I can wait for a free trial.
Old 09-25-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

What's stopping someone from just waiting till the season finishes and just binge on a free Trial?
Old 09-25-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Well, I watched the episode on CBS, and was.... underwhelmed.

It was really kind of stiff, generic, and boring. It didn't look like Trek, it didn't feel like Trek, but had all the Trek concepts.

They utterly screwed up the Klingons. The cast was a generic Gen X type cast with the exception of Michelle Yeoh (who I love). I don't know - It was OK, but just isn't Trek at heart. It's Trek on a surface level, but they're trying to go closer to more recent, non-Trek Sci Fi shows in tone.

And what's with the tech being even more advanced in looks than the Abrams Trek? They've screwed this thing up so bad on a continuity front that it gets really distracting.

I'm not paying for it, so I guess I'll never know how the confrontation turns out. I just don't care enough about the show to continue with it if I have to pay an additional fee to do so. And my wife HATED it, so there really isn't any reason to spend yet more money on TV programming.

Most Trek pilots after TOS were weak, but this one just felt cold. Kind of like they had all the technical talent in the world, but the writing was pedestrian and completely lacking in style, and the direction seemed like it was handled by a technician rather than an artist.

I give it a C-.
Old 09-25-17, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

CBS screwed up.
1. The show is really good, but I didn’t feel like it really took off until the 2nd episode. They really should have put both parts on tv.
2. Football. I have to wonder how many people missed out on the last 15 minutes because they didn’t pad the dvr.
Old 09-25-17, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk God

The After Trek talk show is almost unwatchable. The host is so obnoxious. He makes Chris Hardwick look good. I could only watch about 15 minutes. James Frain and one of the writers/Producers of the show were in studio. The rest of the cast was in Toronto.

They did say they’re filming the season finale (episode 15) tomorrow.
Old 09-25-17, 08:21 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Liked the first episode. I'm not paying for anything else. Hiding this away in a streaming service is a way to try to get Millennials and cord cutters I guess. I'm not buying.
Old 09-25-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
CBS screwed up.
1. The show is really good, but I didn’t feel like it really took off until the 2nd episode. They really should have put both parts on tv.
2. Football. I have to wonder how many people missed out on the last 15 minutes because they didn’t pad the dvr.
Yeah, the 2 episodes were the pilot and both should've been shown on CBS.
Old 09-25-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeh SMG is terrible. Everything she says comes out like she’s just reading.
Oddly overly enunciating everything. Robotic.
I don’t see why some of you folks think she’s good.

Don’t like Yeoh’s use of Number 1.

Anyhow doubtful I’ll be paying for this.

No hurry to watch so I can wait for a free trial.
You think it's because she was raised by a Vulcan?
Old 09-25-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
You think it's because she was raised by a Vulcan?
I thought about that too. Not too bad for the first episode but this going to CBS All Access means I'll either see it on Blu-ray or not at all.
Old 09-25-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a super fan, but a pretty good casual fan who has enjoyed the Star Trek universe for many years. I didn't care for this very much, it just didn't seem to have much heart.

I don't think I will be ponying up for CBS all access for anymore. I will sit back and eventually catch up with it when it becomes available via disc or if it eventually makes its way to other streaming formats I already subscribe to. I already pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, that with my Spotify family account and my regular cable bill, I don't have the disposable cash for another streamer.

I already have trouble keeping up with what's out there on those services

The Orville will have to be my fix for now
Old 09-25-17, 09:14 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I didn't care for this very much, it just didn't seem to have much heart.
No heart. No sense of wonder. Not even humor. The whole episode is about a stand-off in a sector of space.

The Trek Universe has been all over the space-time continuum. They've travelled through time. They've been to parallel universes. They've encountered god-beings who test them on what it means to be human. And let's not forget about all the weird aliens they've encountered that taught us about ourselves.

This whole show looks like it's just going to be about space battles and not much else. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-25-17, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Did the first hour free on regular broadcast CBS. After being in the streaming world for close to 10 years now, watching commercial TV makes me want to light something on fire.

But anyways, the show itself wasn't awful, but wasn't great either. The opening in the desert could have been paced a little better, let the moment breathe a little better.

And I liked the parallel of Michael going out in the thruster suit like Spock did in TMP, that was a nice touch.

But the visual reboot is a major sticking point for me. The visual continuity of this era was established on at least three occasions (with a fourth honorable mention)* and the look we got looks like so many other series.

I'm reserving judgment on the new Klingon look because there is precedent for changing the look of the Klingons but I still want to see TOS era specific Klingons in some capacity to lock that concept down.

And putting this show behind a paywall is disgraceful.

* Relics on TNG, Trials and Tribble-ations on DS9 and In a Mirror, Darkly on ENT with VOY's Flashback showing the TOS movie era.
Old 09-25-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

I liked it. yes, it was different from what we've seen before but it's the first new real Trek in a decade and I want to give it a shot.

I mean, go back and watch "Encounter at Farpoint" again and tell me it's not fucking AWFUL. Hell, TNG and DS9 basically sucked for almost the entire first two seasons with a couple minor exceptions. I'm willing to give it a chance.
Old 09-25-17, 09:43 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss

I mean, go back and watch "Encounter at Farpoint" again and tell me it's not fucking AWFUL.
"Encounter at Farpoint" gets ragged on a lot. It's not the strongest story and there are parts that are over the top, BUT it also had a sense of wonder, and a verve that Star Trek: Discovery can't come close to touching. When we're done with "EaF", we know who each of these characters are. Here, most of the characters aren't that well established and I'm not even sure which ones are going to be regulars and and which aren't. And more than that, in "EaF" the human race faces a potential death sentence from a god-being. I "A Vulcan Hello", it's essentially a skirmish in a sector of space. Star Trek: Discovery needs some imagination: pronto.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.