Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

13 Reasons Why (Netflix) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
re: 13 Reasons Why (Netflix) -- Series Thread

I just finish watching this and being a father of 4... it was really good. I talk to my kids all the time and my 16 year old daughter last year told me she had no friends and no one liked her. She is a talented dancer and kids were probably jealous. She has travel twice to China for dance and this year according to her has been great.

I loved that they didnt sugar coat the suicide and they probably should've shown
Spoiler:
Alex death too
. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Last edited by csant; 05-12-17 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-30-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I know this was based on a book, but this was so reminiscent of Veronica Mars season 1, especially with the piecing everything together via flashback and the general themes. Now I'm afraid, like VM, the first season is well structured but the second season won't be as good. The majority of the book is covered in the first season, right?

I like that even the other characters were frustrated at Clay for taking his time, but I thought the explanation that he was really scared and working through grief worked fine. Plus it allowed them to really flesh out the characters in the present day. It was fairly predictable but they laid the groundwork really well for everything that was going to happen.

My major problem was with Hannah's entire plan... it's even pointed out that it would never make it past a certain point. Tonys realization at the end and pointing out minor inconsistencies where we see that Hannah was a somewhat unreliable narrator help, though.

Spoiler:
My main problem was her selfishly involving Clay at all. She even admits he doesn't belong on the tapes but that they wouldn't be complete without him. Everyone acting like he did some horrible thing just made him even more hesitant, and then he finds out that it was even worse than he though. Of course it somehow helped him to move on anyway, and Tony played a huge part in that.

The tapes deal with bullying. Yet Hannah herself causes a kid to be even more ostracized and bullied, leading to somewhere even darker. It deals with consent. Hannah was furious her poem was published, but she's willing to air other people's dirty laundry. Bryce refuses to take no for an answer. Clay could've would've should've, but the fact is he tried multiple times in that bedroom to reach out to her and she told him to get out, but somehow we're supposed to believe he should have ignored that and declared his love for her when she clearly didn't want to hear it. She has 13 reasons why her life was ruined, and yet she completely ruins at the very least Alex's life with what she does, and his betrayal was perhaps one of the most innocuous ones. I mean she completely sets the counselor up with the tape recorder. He was terrible, sure, but geez.

Maybe this is intentional on the part of the book/series, as I said they pointed out several flaws in Hannah's plan, not the least of which is the devastation her parents felt, and of course someone committing suicide isn't thinking of that. But she took the time to come up with such an elaborate plan, making maps, recalling events, structuring the narrative, that it makes me wonder what she thought would happen to her parents?
Old 06-30-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/0...-suicides.html

This show is being blamed for the suicides of two teen girls in California. It's been all over the news the last couple of days.
Old 06-30-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

It's one thing if they mimicked Hannah's tapes because they thought it was cool. But I just don't see how this show, of all shows, glamorizes suicide. In fact, I have a hard time believing the parents watched this with their kids, because if they did I would think at least some discussion that would be helpful would come out of it.

I mean does anyone watch that last episode and think hey, that's what I want to do? If anything you see how heartbreaking it is because we see a vision of her possible future which was right there for the taking.

You could argue that maybe this show taught them how to commit suicide, but again I don't see how it glamorizes anything. Now if there's a sudden rise in sophomores and juniors getting dozens of tattoos, that I can blame on this show.
Old 07-18-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,018 Likes on 629 Posts

Just finished watching this and thought it was really good. Dark and tragic, for sure, but well done and I don't feel that it glamorizes suicide. Hopefully it may make some people more aware of signs to watch for, and it may make some people stop and think about how they treat others.

There is a 30 minute special (Beyond the Reasons) that came on after the end of the last episode showing some of the cast and also some mental health professionals discussing the issues raised in the show--suicide, rape, bullying, etc.

Not sure what to think about a season 2. The school shooter is the obvious setup, but that character is going to be a lot harder to sympathize with than Hannah, so I don't see them using him as a central, lead character. Will they drop the narrative structure from season 1 and just portray everything in the present? There are loose ends to tie up regarding the lawsuit and the consequences for characters like Bryce and the counselor.
Old 04-30-18, 06:08 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="635" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O92pekaban8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 2 - May 18th, 2018
Old 05-08-18, 09:11 AM

Re: 13 Reasons Why (Netflix) -- Series Thread

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0XuOkYlUWIs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-18-18, 05:26 AM

Season 2 is up on Netflix.
Old 05-18-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watching this, this weekend.
Old 05-19-18, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched the entire thing. All I can say is I hated the fucking ending.
Old 05-21-18, 08:55 AM

Overall, I think Season 2 was still pretty strong, especially without the novelty of the tapes. It is still VERY dark.

The final episode was pretty heavy-handed though. Adding in the #metoo stuff, and even having Anthony Rapp playing a priest.

The ending of last scene did kind of suck. The scene overall was OK, but the way the season ends is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by dex14; 05-22-18 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Halfway through S2 and I’m enjoying it. I don’t understand all the reviewers who hated it, but maybe they are not the demographic.
Old 05-22-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I watched the entire thing. All I can say is I hated the fucking ending.
What a major let down... its like they cop out and gave in to the bull crap.

Im super pissed at that ending.
Old 05-22-18, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Overall, I think Season 2 was still pretty strong, especially without the novelty of the tapes. It is still VERY dark.

The final episode was pretty heavy-handed though. Adding in the #metoo stuff, and even having Anthony Rapp playing a priest.

The ending of last scene did kind of suck. The scene overall was OK, but the way the season ends is pretty ridiculous.
The general consensus is the last episode sucked.
I enjoyed the season overall.
Old 05-22-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll expand my thoughts a bit. I liked how the season gave us a deeper look into everyone's lives. The court setting was a great way to give us more information that we didn't see last season. Overall the show was just as compelling as it was last year. And now, the finale...
Spoiler:
The funeral and the dance were mostly great and what could've been a coda for the show. The Tyler stuff here was sickening. After all the abuse we've already seen him take on this show they go and have him beaten and raped at school? This was so wrong and seemingly manipulative of the writers to have us feel sorry for a guy that's about to shoot up a school. I also, thought it was pretty terrible that when they find out what Tyler's about to do they go and do the exact opposite of what they should've done. They go and talk to and armed gunman and help him escape.
I'm not saying I won't watch the next season but if I don't it's because of the finale.
Old 05-22-18, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I'll expand my thoughts a bit. I liked how the season gave us a deeper look into everyone's lives. The court setting was a great way to give us more information that we didn't see last season. Overall the show was just as compelling as it was last year. And now, the finale...
Spoiler:
The funeral and the dance were mostly great and what could've been a coda for the show. The Tyler stuff here was sickening. After all the abuse we've already seen him take on this show they go and have him beaten and raped at school? This was so wrong and seemingly manipulative of the writers to have us feel sorry for a guy that's about to shoot up a school. I also, thought it was pretty terrible that when they find out what Tyler's about to do they go and do the exact opposite of what they should've done. They go and talk to and armed gunman and help him escape.
I'm not saying I won't watch the next season but if I don't it's because of the finale.
Here is some insight from the showrunner on some of those things:

13 Reasons Why showrunner on season 2's assault and school shooting story lines
http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/22/13-reaso..._medium=social
Old 05-22-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished Season 2 last night. Hoo boy this show is heavy. Once again we get a bunch of angsty teens whose problems could be resolved a lot faster if they simply talked to their parents or other authority figures, but I guess we wouldn't have a show if that happened. I thought the resolution to the Hannah storyline was well done.

Spoiler:
It's sadly realistic too, as someone like Bryce with all that wealth and privilege would get off with a slap on the wrist (see Brock Turner). As for Tyler, I'm still wrapping my head around that one. They teased a school shooting with him as the culprit since Season 1 and had loads of hints this season before finally dealing with it in the last 15-20 minutes or so in the finale. I don't know what or how a potential Season 3 will address what happened. Several characters probably won't come back as they either graduated or left town and I don't see any reason for "Hannah" to continue. Without the gimmick of tapes, a trial or Polaroids, does the show just become a super-serious Degrassi then? On top of the Tyler situation, you've got Justin's continued drug addiction and the Jessica/Alex/Justin love triangle. Plus will the jock bullies finally get what's coming to them?
Old 05-22-18, 04:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

S1 was compelling enough to stick with it... 25 minutes into S2E1 my wife and I looked at each other and agreed we just didn't care about any of these mopey shits and gave up on the show.
Old 05-30-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
S1 was compelling enough to stick with it... 25 minutes into S2E1 my wife and I looked at each other and agreed we just didn't care about any of these mopey shits and gave up on the show.
Well that's really too bad and also a little sad. To oversimplify the complicated characters (who are rather accurate depictions of real high school teens) as "mopey shits" speaks volumes about the issues teens face in life every day. If it's not for you, it's unfortunate. However, you missed out on a compelling story full of heartbreak, anguish, emotion, friendship, love and togetherness. Yes... kids go through all of these things and their emotions can turn on a dime. That's puberty and growing up.

That said, I really enjoyed S2 up until the last episode when things took a hard left turn. While there were so many good things about it (the call back to Hannah and Clay dancing at the Spring Fling to "The Night We Met" was particularly touching, well as Clay's eulogy, and the "reasons why not"), the Trevor story line was shocking and upsetting. If you haven't watched BEYOND THE REASONS for S2, you really should give it a watch. The writers share some very shocking statistics about several topics they covered (including what happen to Trevor!). It actually helped me see the finale in a little different light.
Old 05-30-18, 12:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Please don't lecture me on the complexities of being a teenager and then somehow equating my distaste for a generally panned second season of a show which exists primarily only as a cash grab to some pretentious and inaccurate commentary on my supposed lack of empathy for an entire generation of kids.
Old 05-30-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well that's really too bad and also a little sad. To oversimplify the complicated characters (who are rather accurate depictions of real high school teens) as "mopey shits" speaks volumes about the issues teens face in life every day. If it's not for you, it's unfortunate. However, you missed out on a compelling story full of heartbreak, anguish, emotion, friendship, love and togetherness. Yes... kids go through all of these things and their emotions can turn on a dime. That's puberty and growing up.
It's not like all of us haven't been teens or had our share of these experiences. Now if we're supposed to feel sorry for them having social media or similar "adversities" to deal with, I won't... because it's a choice.
Old 05-30-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
because it's a choice.
Not really. Kids can decide to not join social media but that doesn't stop others from posting pictures/insults/jokes...etc. Not being on could make it even worse since the child wouldn't know why people are laughing at them.
Old 05-30-18, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will agree that kids now a days have it 100% tougher. But, half the shit people go through can be avoided. Does life suck, fuck yeah it does. But at the end of day really only give a shit about the things you can control and not the ones you can't. Just live ur life.... =)
Old 05-30-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
I will agree that kids now a days have it 100% tougher. But, half the shit people go through can be avoided. Does life suck, fuck yeah it does. But at the end of day really only give a shit about the things you can control and not the ones you can't. Just live ur life.... =)
Most adults haven't realized this yet; big ask expecting children to figure it out. lol
Old 05-30-18, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I enjoyed S1 even with the issues it had, but S2 was horrible.

This season is the pure definition of a continuation of a show that shouldn't have, but did simply for the cash-grab.

We get backstory of a bunch of stuff that we had no clue happened, yet we probably should've known.
The kids do things that make no sense - even for typical kids. And then they often did nothing at all and just accepted their situation helplessly when some of them at least would've done something.

The courtroom scene really didn't make much sense.

In the flashback scenes with Hannah, Clay didn't seem to be THAT much in love with her. Hell, he spent an entire summer with his grandparents and never reached out to Hannah even once. But after she dies, Clay suddenly (and shown more this season) has this undying love for her. It really felt like the writers decided to adjust his relationship with Hannah and made it more intense.

The ending was simply ridiculous.

I assumed there wouldn't be a S3, but that ending tells me otherwise.
The Hannah storyline should basically be over, so I'm out as I'm not interested anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.