TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E17) -- "Distant Sun" -- 3/27/17

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E17) -- "Distant Sun" -- 3/27/17

Originally Posted by Eric F
So Legion appearance incoming? I thought when Kara met Mon-El's mom in the Fortress they did a quick pan over a Legion flight ring...
You thought correct, as that's exactly what it was. My wife gave me the most reproachful glare as I cheered.
Old 04-03-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So are they going to ever get Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain in the same scene together? Would seem strange to cast her in a show that Cain has a role in and not have some on-screen reunion.
Old 04-03-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
This Alex/Maggie stuff is excruciatingly awful. Even for a CW show, this is really terrible. The show just grinds to a halt a few times each episode so we can watch the most boring relationship ever. I used to like Alex as a character, but now when she and Maggie show up I know I'm in for a pointless scene. It's a good time to go take a leak. The only somewhat worthwhile payoff I can see from all the time they've spent on this is if Maggie ends up getting killed by the end of the season. That would create the opportunity for the writers to take Alex down some different paths. Please, please kill Maggie.
My big complaint as well. They treat the relationships like high school drama. We gave up on Glee because of all the soap opera relationship drama. That was a show about high school so it had to be there. This is a sci-fi about super heroes. They seem more inclined to provide social commentary and high school level crushes than action and intrigue.
Old 04-04-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I think the CBS network executives were keeping a much tighter leash on the showrunner. The move to the CW also cut the budget, which meant substituting expensive action scenes for cheaper relationship drama.
Old 04-04-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But what relationship has been down well on any of these CW DC shows? They all come off like bad HS drama. The only one I can think of is back when they briefly showed Oliver and Sara together. Even the Cisco and Gipsy thing has already been partially ruined by the stupid use of her character.
Old 04-04-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
But what relationship has been down well on any of these CW DC shows? They all come off like bad HS drama. The only one I can think of is back when they briefly showed Oliver and Sara together. Even the Cisco and Gipsy thing has already been partially ruined by the stupid use of her character.
Plenty of them have been done well.

-Barry and Patty

-Barry and Linda

-Ray and Felicity

-Diggle and his wife

-Sara and Snart

-Eddie and Iris

-Oliver and Sara

The difference with all of these, and Alex and Maggie is that these featured actors which had charisma, and their relationship was a part of the episode and not one of the main focal points. They also gave the relationships time to grow and develop. Maggie and Alex have no charisma at all, they act like they are in high school, they act like total morons who have never been in a relationship before(even though its been established Maggie has been in a lot of them) and nothing about them getting together felt organic. Even worse, they stop the show dead in it's tracks so we can get whatever stupid subplot they bring that feels like it should be on Sex and the City or Lipstick Jungle.

Though to be fair, Supergirl hasn't had a single good relationship on this show. James and Kara was boring. Alex and Maggie is awful. Melissa and Cat's son was uneventful. Kara and Mon El could have been good but Mon El has been written like someone who you expect to see banging on Kara's door at 3 A.M drunk because she didn't call him back.

On another note, Chyler Leigh posted on Instagram a loooong post about going to the GLAAD awards with Fiorina About how she was honored to be there, about how proud she is to play a gay woman, and kept going on about the LBTQ community and how she wants them to feel special and loved. Nope no political or social commentary to see here people.
Old 04-04-17, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

-Barry and Patty
Forgot that one. ITA. The rest, meh at best.
Old 04-04-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099

-Barry and Patty

-Barry and Linda

-Ray and Felicity

-Diggle and his wife

-Sara and Snart

-Eddie and Iris

-Oliver and Sara

The difference with all of these, and Alex and Maggie is that these featured actors which had charisma, and their relationship was a part of the episode and not one of the main focal points. They also gave the relationships time to grow and develop. Maggie and Alex have no charisma at all, they act like they are in high school, they act like total morons who have never been in a relationship before(even though its been established Maggie has been in a lot of them) and nothing about them getting together felt organic. Even worse, they stop the show dead in it's tracks so we can get whatever stupid subplot they bring that feels like it should be on Sex and the City or Lipstick Jungle.

Though to be fair, Supergirl hasn't had a single good relationship on this show. James and Kara was boring. Alex and Maggie is awful. Melissa and Cat's son was uneventful. Kara and Mon El could have been good but Mon El has been written like someone who you expect to see banging on Kara's door at 3 A.M drunk because she didn't call him back.

On another note, Chyler Leigh posted on Instagram a loooong post about going to the GLAAD awards with Fiorina About how she was honored to be there, about how proud she is to play a gay woman, and kept going on about the LBTQ community and how she wants them to feel special and loved. Nope no political or social commentary to see here people.
I've said it a dozen times. I have no problem with the lesbian relationship or gay relationships. But you mentioned the word organic. These feel forced, rushed, childish. In my family I have a gay nephew, a gay cousin and a lesbian cousin. At the funeral recently, many current events in the news and on TV came up in conversation and one thing they don't like; if you make TOO big a deal of it, it makes them feel even more marginalized. They should get an adult gay writer as a consultant to keep them from writing it as a "look at us, look what we did for society." When in fact you made them look immature. It should be natural. Don't make them feel like they are in a zoo.
Old 04-11-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Some really great news.

Superman is returning to the show for the finale:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/04/sup...-hoechlin.html

I think robin2099 will have to change his mind now on being out as he proclaimed
Old 04-11-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Was coming here to post that. Very cool.
Old 04-11-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Some really great news.

Superman is returning to the show for the finale:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/04/sup...-hoechlin.html

I think robin2099 will have to change his mind now on being out as he proclaimed
Yeah looks like I'm back in.
Old 04-11-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

Old 04-12-17, 12:19 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Supergirl: Calista Flockhart Returning for Final Episodes of Season 2
http://tvline.com/2017/04/12/supergi...season-finale/
Old 04-12-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

The return of Superman is a bit surprising. I had seen interviews where the producers suggested Superman returning this season after the premiere wasn't in the budget.
Old 04-12-17, 02:11 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The return of Superman is a bit surprising. I had seen interviews where the producers suggested Superman returning this season after the premiere wasn't in the budget.
I'm guessing ratings haven't been stellar so they want to draw people in with a good finale to carryover into season 3.
Old 04-12-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With Flockhart and Superman returning, I would be interested again.
Old 04-12-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm guessing ratings haven't been stellar so they want to draw people in with a good finale to carryover into season 3.
I wouldn't call the ratings disappointing. It's getting really good CW numbers. They obviously couldn't expect it to get the same kind of numbers as CBS. CW just doesn't have the same kind of audience.

I think it's neck to beck with The Flash as the highest rated CW DC series.

Creatively on the other hand, that's another discussion as the Supergirl threads here have shown.