TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E17) -- "Distant Sun" -- 3/27/17

Old 03-27-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Supergirl (S2E17) -- "Distant Sun" -- 3/27/17

MONDAY, MARCH 27

SUPERGIRL

"Distant Sun" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

LYNDA CARTER RETURNS AS PRESIDENT MARSDIN; KEVIN SMITH DIRECTS - A large bounty is put out on Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and aliens from far and near attack National City intent on taking out the woman of steel. Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (Floriana Lima) run into Maggie's ex-girlfriend, Emily (guest star Hayley Sales), who is in town for a week. Hank (David Harewood) gets an interesting order from President Marsdin (guest star Lynda Carter). Kevin Smith directed the episode written by Gabriel Llanas & Anna Musky-Goldwyn (#217). Original airdate 3/27/2017.

Episode 17 of 22

Just reading that description, I'm fully expecting a Robin2099 paragraph hate rant after this episode.
Old 03-27-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E17) -- "Distant Sun" -- 3/27/17

So who will Harley-Quinn Smith play in this episode?
Old 03-28-17, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

That was a good episode. Lots of action and a good evil turn with Hatcher.
Old 03-28-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This was a mixed bag. On the one hand, it had good action and a chance to see J'onn show his bad assed side. I also liked the stuff with Mon'El's parents. Honestly I think they were the best additions this whole season. On the other hand, the episode was the same old Supergirl crap.

Mon El is seriously the most wasted character on this show. He has so much potential to be better but he's only defined by one thing on this show. Wanting Kara. That's it. Everything on this show is about him wanting Kara and he has no more dimensions than that. Remember how Winn was supposed to be making him a suit? Yeah lets forget that so we can keep Mon El following Kara like a puppy.

Alex and Maggie's relationship still is incredibly pointless and continues the trend of Alex being a total and complete moron this season. Seriously, who books reservations at a fancy restaurant for the person your dating and the ex who you just happen to randomly run into? At least Winn's totally pointless relationship had somewhat of a payoff. This looks to have none other than giving us some of the worst written scenes and storytelling in any show this season and making Alex a lesbian. Liked the studio being named Yoga Hosers though.

The biggest problem is that we are four episodes from the finale and what the hell is the end game for this show. On The Flash we know it's stopping Savitar and saving Iris. On Arrow it's going to be stopping Prometheus. On Legends it's getting the Spear of Destiny back from the Legion of Doom and fixing everything. On Supergirl who knows what it is. Is it Teri Hatcher seeking revenge? Is it Cadmus continuing to try and kill aliens? Is it the president since she is an alien? Is it something with Jeremiah? Is it trying to do something else with Lena Luthor since they were setting her up as possibly evil this season? Who the hell knows.

Anyway I'm done with this series. I'll still read the board to see what people say and if the finale is good I'll watch the last four on Netflix but I'm giving up for the time being. Congratulations Supergirl. You currently have the title of worst DC TV series season taking the crown from Legends season 1. Let's see if you can redeem yourself.
Old 03-28-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not one of Kevin Smiths better efforts but he probably has zero control over content. It would have been a surprise who placed the hit if Mon El didn't pay a quick visit first. The big fight was horribly staged at the finale and too much chit chat between his parents in the last scene. Just do it. Hercules was the only who didn't see it coming. She should have stabbed him first and then said her rant as he slowly dies.
Old 03-28-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

Just reading that description, I'm fully expecting a Robin2099 paragraph hate rant after this episode.
Success! With bonus I quit!
Old 03-28-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you tease us with the option that Supergirl has bounty hunters after her but you don't follow through with the ripe potential that Lobo could have been used?

FOR SHAME, CW! FOR....SHAME!
Old 03-28-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So you tease us with the option that Supergirl has bounty hunters after her but you don't follow through with the ripe potential that Lobo could have been used?
That's something else I forgot to mention that annoyed me. I get that he might have been too expensive to do, but it still seems like a waste.

Just reading that description, I'm fully expecting a Robin2099 paragraph hate rant after this episode
Success! With bonus I quit!
Here's the thing. I want to like this show. I enjoyed season 1 and I thought that Melissa could be to Kara what Christopher Reeve was to Superman. But this season has just been god awful. Everything the writers could have done to make it awful they did. That's what is so frustrating.
Old 03-28-17, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Awww... I wanted to see Supergirl accidentally kill a dolphin and piss The Man off.
Old 03-28-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lobo could still show up if they wanted next season. Maybe he didnt get cancellation order, or just wants the thrill anyway.
Old 03-28-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I was unaware that Kevin Smith directed this episode. It had a few more wrinkles than most Supergirl plots, which should have clued me in. I think he might have forced in that line about Supergirl being the last daughter of Krypton. It doesn't sound like something Supergirl's normal writers would even know.

The show has been very cagey about revealing Mon-El's powers. He showed superspeed saving Kara from his mother. They really don't want Daxamites to have the same power levels as Kryptonians.

What ended up being hammy was that final scene with Mon-El's mother turning on her husband and killing him.
Old 03-28-17, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I was unaware that Kevin Smith directed this episode. It had a few more wrinkles than most Supergirl plots, which should have clued me in. I think he might have forced in that line about Supergirl being the last daughter of Krypton. It doesn't sound like something Supergirl's normal writers would even know.

The show has been very cagey about revealing Mon-El's powers. He showed superspeed saving Kara from his mother. They really don't want Daxamites to have the same power levels as Kryptonians.

What ended up being hammy was that final scene with Mon-El's mother turning on her husband and killing him.
Didn't Kara or someone make a comment in the first episode about Superman calling J'onn the most powerful being on the planet?

Nobody even mentioned POTUS being a White Martian (at least that's what I thought she was).
Old 03-28-17, 07:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Teri Hatcher didn't look too bad. it was an ok ep. i guess. it's fun and i don't have to think too much. this and Flash i watch for fun, but it doesn't really affect me in anyway...
Old 03-29-17, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I enjoyed this episode. That was a pretty dark turn for Mon-El's mother. Teri Hatcher was pretty good playing evil.

I'm curious if Lynda Carter's POTUS has always been an alien or if this White Martian was masquerading as her after something happened to her.
Old 03-29-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mon El not using his powers on regular basis has reached the beyond ridiculousness level. But hey, t least they made reference to him having a suit back at the base, so maybe that will change soon. But since this is Supergirl, we'll may get that during the middle of next season.

The whole thing with Maggie's ex was pretty typical for any show that focuses on relationships. We supposedly now know why Maggie was so reluctant to start another relationship with Alex.

Overall the episode could only be so good given Hatcher is on board, but her overacting. But the good news is no more Sorbo! And at least they went further with the POTUS is an alien stuff rather than just hinting at it like the last episode closer.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-29-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 08:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Didn't Kara or someone make a comment in the first episode about Superman calling J'onn the most powerful being on the planet?

Nobody even mentioned POTUS being a White Martian (at least that's what I thought she was).
She's a Durlan according to Lynda Carter's twitter.
Old 03-29-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was also a Durlan reference in the episode.
Old 03-30-17, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Mon-El team mate in the LSH is Durlan, CHAMELEON BOY.

Maybe Carter's character is distant relative of Reep Daggle.
Old 03-30-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I know one thing...I could reeeeeaaally feel the heartache from both Kara and Mon-El.
Old 03-30-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Rough episode. Did enjoy the heel turn from Hatcher tho. Wonder how they're going to resolve all the meandering story plots before the end of the year?
Old 03-30-17, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There was also a Durlan reference in the episode.
So Legion appearance incoming? I thought when Kara met Mon-El's mom in the Fortress they did a quick pan over a Legion flight ring...
Old 03-30-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
So Legion appearance incoming? I thought when Kara met Mon-El's mom in the Fortress they did a quick pan over a Legion flight ring...
I know a lot of people have been speculating the Legion might show up in season three.

I think all of the Arrowverse would be wise putting a temporary moratorium on all romantic relationships. Let Flash get married and that's it. I guess that won't happen being on the CW.
Old 03-30-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Did enjoy the heel turn from Hatcher tho.
She was always a heel. If anything, Sorbo made a face turn this episode and Hatcher acted accordingly.
Old 04-03-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Alex and Maggie's relationship still is incredibly pointless and continues the trend of Alex being a total and complete moron this season.
This Alex/Maggie stuff is excruciatingly awful. Even for a CW show, this is really terrible. The show just grinds to a halt a few times each episode so we can watch the most boring relationship ever. I used to like Alex as a character, but now when she and Maggie show up I know I'm in for a pointless scene. It's a good time to go take a leak. The only somewhat worthwhile payoff I can see from all the time they've spent on this is if Maggie ends up getting killed by the end of the season. That would create the opportunity for the writers to take Alex down some different paths. Please, please kill Maggie.
Old 04-03-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
She was always a heel. If anything, Sorbo made a face turn this episode and Hatcher acted accordingly.
Alright. Then the full heel turn.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.