TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E07) -- "The Darkest Place" -- 11/21/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E07) -- "The Darkest Place" -- 11/21/16

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^^Was she? I'll have to rewatch. I was convinced they gave it to her through the slit.
Either way she was out of the cage before she started using it. She could have easily just taken the helmet off and disarmed them with super-speed.
Old 11-23-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 820 Likes on 692 Posts

This show conveniently forgets that Supergirl has superspeed most of the time. It's probably the correct approach, or fight scenes would be over in a second with most villains.
Old 11-23-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This show conveniently forgets that Supergirl has superspeed most of the time. It's probably the correct approach, or fight scenes would be over in a second with most villains.
That's crossed my mind more than once while watching. I kinda let it slide though... it'd be too easy to turn her into the Flash whenever necessary.
Old 11-23-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 700 Likes on 431 Posts

Heck, even Flash forgets he has superspeed on occasion.

I suppose you could rationalize it by saying they have Superspeed but not necessarily the ability to process or react at Superspeed while not moving at Superspeed. So maybe someone could whip out a gun and fire but until your brain processes the event to trigger a response, you're still at normal speed.

Or just a way to justify not wrapping everything up instantly every time without suspense.

Chyler Leigh is so hot, it burns me grundies
Old 11-23-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Besides a BATMAN and THANAGAR reference, the villain Jimmy capture is called,
Barrage.
1st appeared in SUPERMAN ANNUAL #2 by Roger Stern and Ron Frenz.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/11/22/s...e-missed-in-/6
Old 11-23-16, 11:48 PM
Banned

Batman references in both Arrow and Supergirl... Interesting...
Old 11-24-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I didn't have an issue with any of it. As Flatlander said, Supergirl was drained. They've shown us as much before.

I like the Guardian. Although the suit is a tad generic and too Arrow-ish.

The thing I'm not enjoying is the lesbian subplot and not because it's that. I think it's great, it just drags the show to a screeching halt for those scenes. The Hallmark moments seem a little contrived in 2016. So you're gay... No one cares...unless your name is Pence.

Also, is it just me or is the alien bar a bit too lax for the number of civilians they just let hang out? Is there some kind of "I'm an alien in a human form" ID card they have to flash at the door?
The recent episodes have been decent but the sub-plots seem to suck. Don't like The Guardian, don't like the lesbian girlfriend. They seem to drag the show instead of adding suspense. At least with the Guardian there was a plot with a bad-guy.
Old 11-24-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought this episode was actually somewhat ok mainly for the scenes in Cadmus and the appearance of Dean Cain as well as J'onn's scenes with M'gann. The Guardian stuff is still pretty bad and seems incredibly pointless and is somewhat laughable. The thing is thought that I think Guardian as a character could work on Supergirl but as a separate character other than Jimmy Olsen.

Lesbian Alex still sucks and completely causes whatever scenes she's in and the episode to come to a screeching halt. There even worse then the Hawks in Legends of Tomorrow in terms of show killing.

On another note am I the only one who doesn't think it makes sense for her to go after Supergirl as opposed to Superman, and would really rather see Lex Luthor instead?
Old 11-24-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Lesbian Alex still sucks and completely causes whatever scenes she's in and the episode to come to a screeching halt. There even worse then the Hawks in Legends of Tomorrow in terms of show killing.
First the interracial attraction between supergirl and james, now a lesbian interaction. They need to throw in a gay liaison for Winn to get the hack hipster trifecta. If any of these relationships transpired organically it would be fine. They just seem to be force fed either out of laziness or lack of ideas and slow the momentum down too much.
Old 11-24-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow... people are having problems with interracial relationships as some kind of "hack hipster" thing? Ahh those halcyon days when people would yell out "race traitor" to my white girlfriend in 1989...
Old 11-24-16, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by robin2099
I thought this episode was actually somewhat ok mainly for the scenes in Cadmus and the appearance of Dean Cain as well as J'onn's scenes with M'gann. The Guardian stuff is still pretty bad and seems incredibly pointless and is somewhat laughable. The thing is thought that I think Guardian as a character could work on Supergirl but as a separate character other than Jimmy Olsen.
I think Guardian would have been better if used more in the comic book sense- as a Cadmus clone used to subvert the "outsider" alien trend of Superheroes. Would have been great if they made Dean Cain's character Dubilex as well.
Old 11-24-16, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Wow... people are having problems with interracial relationships as some kind of "hack hipster" thing?
It is when the actors have no chemistry and the relationship feels forced to the point that it seems like the only reason for them to be together is because it's interracial.
Old 11-24-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by randian
It is when the actors have no chemistry and the relationship feels forced to the point that it seems like the only reason for them to be together is because it's interracial.
Yes, I'm sure that's exactly it, especially when lumped with in with a lesbian subplot and an imagined "gay liaison" for another character.
Old 11-24-16, 09:20 PM
Banned

That's why Barry and Iris's relationship works better. Their backstory is well fleshed out.
Old 11-24-16, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
First the interracial attraction between supergirl and james, now a lesbian interaction. They need to throw in a gay liaison for Winn to get the hack hipster trifecta. If any of these relationships transpired organically it would be fine. They just seem to be force fed either out of laziness or lack of ideas and slow the momentum down too much.
Please re-read the second part of my post. I have no problems with these relationships in life. I do have a problem with how they are written on this show.
Old 12-24-16, 10:51 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So everyone is in pizza party mood when they found out Jeremiah is still alive and they couldn't rescue him ? That would be their obsession, finding him, not laughing and eating pizza