DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Supergirl (S2E07) -- "The Darkest Place" -- 11/21/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/638184-supergirl-s2e07-darkest-place-11-21-16-a.html)

DJariya 11-21-16 06:00 PM

Supergirl (S2E07) -- "The Darkest Place" -- 11/21/16

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpre...trip=all&w=614

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21

SUPERGIRL

"The Darkest Place" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

IT'S SUPERGIRL VS. CYBORG SUPERMAN - While Guardian (Mehcad Brooks) tries to clear his name after being accused of a murder committed by another vigilante, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) heads out on a solo mission to rescue Mon-El (Chris Wood) who has been captured by CADMUS. While fighting to free Mon-El, Supergirl comes face to face with Cyborg Superman. Glen Winter directed the episode written by Robert Rovner & Paula Yoo (#207). Original airdate 11/21/2016.

Episode 7 of 22

Next week is the 4-part, 4 night crossover event.

OldBoy 11-21-16 07:50 PM

Re: Supergirl (S2E07) -- "The Darkest Place" -- 11/21/16

This Guardian thing is torturous.

OldBoy 11-21-16 09:12 PM

And I don't mind Alex and detective scenes because let's face it...they are both cute as hell.

Eric F 11-21-16 11:08 PM

1. Batman reference?
2. Thanagar exists. More Hawkpeople?

I don't care about the Guardian sub-plot at all. I wish they would have made Jimmy Turtle-Man, Elastic-Boy or some other fun thing for 1 episode. Guardian? No.

I also don't care if the sister is gay or not. Why should it matter?

whotony 11-21-16 11:27 PM

I didnt see a Batman ref.

Jimmy Olson is cringe worthy.

When Supergirl was removed from her cell why didn't she use her powers to
save herself and Mon-el?

I'm about done with the show.
I want to like it but it gets dumber every week.

Oh and Hank Henshaw calling himself Cyborg Superman. over the top.

why did her dad need to stay and slow them down?
He could have just left with her.

White Martian saved Jonn's life but he needs to kill her because

Koby 11-21-16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 12952915)

It was mentioned Superman worked with a tech gadget based vigilante previously.
This is the Batman reference.

Eric F 11-21-16 11:43 PM

When Supergirl was removed from her cell why didn't she use her powers to
save herself and Mon-el?

Supergirl didn't save herself and Mon-El because she couldn't get him out of the Nth Metal cell.

Hank couldn't call himself Cyborg, could he?:lol:

DJariya 11-22-16 12:03 AM

Damn, whotony was pretty hard on this episode. :lol:

I thought it was an entertaining episode. Yeah maybe the James' Guardian antics feel out of place.

I did hear the Batman reference as well.

Regarding J'onn, he is simply blinded by rage against the entire White Martian race for exterminating his race. That's why he decided to attack M'Gann and then later imprisoned her even though she saved him.

As far as Jeremiah goes, there are a number of reasons why he chose to stay to behind. He's been with Cadmus for 15+ years, so maybe he chose to stay behind a little longer to help gather more evidence and build a stronger case to help bring down the organization from within. We simply don't know yet.

And now we know Lillian is Lex and Lena's Mom and we see she's also blinded by rage against Superman for sending her son to jail and is now taking it out on Supergirl. I think this storyline with Lillian could lead to Tyler Hoechlin coming back for the 2nd half of the season to help pay it off.

whotony 11-22-16 12:07 AM

:lol:

Yeah.

I still think SG could have used her power/superspeed to take out the entire group there and then
open the cage by turning off the locking mechanism.

Good point on Dean Cain.

The Valeyard 11-22-16 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 12952906)
I don't care about the Guardian sub-plot at all. I wish they would have made Jimmy Turtle-Man, Elastic-Boy or some other fun thing for 1 episode. Guardian? No.

They could have had fun with it by having Winn create various "identities" for Jimmy to try out each week before settling on Guardian. "Look out! Here comes Mr. Action!"

I wish one of the shows would bring in Dial "H" For Hero. I prefer the Vicki and Chris version from the 80s but Robby Reed would be okay.

DWilson 11-22-16 06:42 AM

It sounds a little clunky coming out of someone's mouth, but that's directly from the comics. Hank Henshaw was an astronaut, though, but he did become "Cyborg Superman".

Joe Schmoe 11-22-16 07:20 AM

I'm about done with the show.
I want to like it but it gets dumber every week.

This.

Flatlander 11-22-16 11:10 AM

But wasn't there an episode in season one where SG used that power that she was weak for a few days where we watched her try and recover? That is how I took her not being able to help with the escape.

SmithsGuy 11-22-16 12:06 PM

Perhaps he left the "a" out? "I am a cyborg Super man!" :)

So we assume Nth metal bars stop her eye-beams-of-death?

Liked Dean Cain's return. Could have left out the Guardian subplot ...

randian 11-22-16 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy (Post 12953223)

That probably conflicts with her code against killing. That said, she doe criminally underutilize them in tactical situations, probably due to SFX budget, but it makes her look stupid.

Michael Corvin 11-22-16 12:52 PM

I didn't have an issue with any of it. As Flatlander said, Supergirl was drained. They've shown us as much before.

I like the Guardian. Although the suit is a tad generic and too Arrow-ish.

The thing I'm not enjoying is the lesbian subplot and not because it's that. I think it's great, it just drags the show to a screeching halt for those scenes. The Hallmark moments seem a little contrived in 2016. So you're gay... :shrug: No one cares...unless your name is Pence.

Also, is it just me or is the alien bar a bit too lax for the number of civilians they just let hang out? Is there some kind of "I'm an alien in a human form" ID card they have to flash at the door?

hdnmickey 11-22-16 01:16 PM

This series seems to be missing on pretty much everything so far this season. To think I was excited that it was joining the other DC shows on the CW because that could only make it better. :(

Jackskeleton 11-22-16 02:05 PM

For me the Guardian stuff is unneeded bullshit. Is it a mandate that they have a pizza party even though shit isn't resolved so they could all come together in an apartment at the end? Shit is ridiculous.

I see where they are trying to go with things but man, it just feels like they are indeed missing every swing at pulling it off well.

Eric F 11-22-16 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy (Post 12953223)

She could have melted the gun (or even the bullet in mid-air) without hurting the holder.

It seems like the Guardian sub-plot is going nowhere. They should just have Diggle guest and beat the shit out of Jimmy.:lol:

SmithsGuy 11-22-16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 12953499)
She could have melted the gun (or even the bullet in mid-air) without hurting the holder.

It seems like the Guardian sub-plot is going nowhere. They should just have Diggle guest and beat the shit out of Jimmy.:lol:

Diggle ftw. :)

(And used the beams as soon as she woke up after trying the bars - assuming floor and ceiling also Nth metal - which apparently is not too heavy to clean out of the warehouse at a moment's notice.)

PhantomStranger 11-23-16 01:46 AM

Lots of testy fans in this thread. The show has been good this season. The episodes fly by and they've introduced loads of references from the comics. Has every story arc been working great? Not really, but the characters' interactions have been more credible and entertaining this season.

Hokeyboy 11-23-16 04:52 AM

I agree. I think the quality has been mostly pretty impressive this season.

I also agree the Guardian subplot is unnecessary and pulls us away from more interesting subplots. I guess it's there to give James something to do, but... ehh.

And no, Supergirl couldn't have done anything while she was out of the cage. THe heat vision helmet thingy drained her of her powers/energy. This was well established.

I missed the "Batman" reference but loved the Thanagar shout-out. Yee!

Eric F 11-23-16 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12953902)
And no, Supergirl couldn't have done anything while she was out of the cage. THe heat vision helmet thingy drained her of her powers/energy. This was well established.

She was out of the cage before she put the helmet on.:lol:

Hokeyboy 11-23-16 10:12 AM

^^Was she? I'll have to rewatch. I was convinced they gave it to her through the slit.

randian 11-23-16 10:15 AM

I assume Cadmus had guns trained on Mon-El. That's why Supergirl didn't attack them as soon as she was out of the cage.