TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S2E06) -- "Changing" -- 11/14/16

Old 11-14-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 356 Likes on 267 Posts
Supergirl (S2E06) -- "Changing" -- 11/14/16

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 14

SUPERGIRL

"Changing" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

THE GUARDIAN DEBUTS IN NATIONAL CITY - The Guardian debuts to lend a hand after a parasite alien drains Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) of her power. Mon-El (Chris Wood) considers a less than desirable new career which then leads him to contemplate his motives. Alex (Chyler Leigh) struggles with a new reality. Andrew Kreisberg and Caitlin Parris wrote the script based on the story by Greg Beranti. The episode was directed by Larry Teng (#206). Original Airdate 11/14/2016.

Episode 6 of 22
Old 11-14-16, 06:41 PM

Received 341 Likes on 240 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E06) -- "Changing" -- 11/14/16

Anyone in the NY/NJ area... the Giants game will be on instead. The CW will air this episode on Saturday at 8pm. Or you can watch On Demand or the CW app after it airs.
Old 11-14-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Guardian looks good. Nice touch with the shield.

Climate change and lesbianism in the same episode? The new FCC heads will pull Supergirl off the air. (I was going to put a laughing face, but it hits too close to the truth).

Last edited by Eric F; 11-14-16 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You fight an alien who can steal your powers and knock you out by touching you, so what's your fight strategy? Hand to hand combat, naturally, rather than use your heat vision at a distance.

The climate change stuff was tedious and preachy. I don't watch superhero shows to be lectured to.
Old 11-15-16, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post

Climate change and lesbianism in the same episode? The new FCC heads will pull Supergirl off the air. (I was going to put a laughing face, but it hits too close to the truth).
They have pretty much wrote off 49% of the country (Trump voters).
Old 11-15-16, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by randian View Post
The climate change stuff was tedious and preachy. I don't watch superhero shows to be lectured to.
Berlanti's shows love their "teachable moments".
Old 11-15-16, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
They have pretty much wrote off 49% of the country (Trump voters).
All these episodes were shot when it looked like Hillary was going to win. They were shooting Kevin Smith's episode (the first one that airs in January) when the election took place...you've got to figure they have three or four scripts ready after that one as well.

I actually liked the fact that Maggie isn't into Alex...hopefully it stays that way. Most shows would just have the two gay characters hook up.
Old 11-15-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tonight on a very special episode of "Supergirl"....

The Guardian's costume was pretty underwhelming. I don't know why it took so long for it to be ready unless the extra time was spent preparing his truck. Why is this character necessary when this town already has Supergirl, the DEO, cops and occasionally Superman to protect it? Not to mention the National Guard, Mon-El (if he chooses to go that route) and the occasional appearance of superheroes from other CW shows.
Old 11-15-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought the Alex plot was handled very well and very mature. I actually felt bad for her when she got rejected by Maggie.

I didn't realize that Winn had access to that kind of tech to be able to create that kind of costume for James. It looked decent for what it was.

I loved the fight scene with the Purple monster....

Winn: Yeah take that Grimace!!
Old 11-15-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That episode was just brutal to watch. Every element was handled so poorly. This has become one of the most uneven shows we watch.

The cross-over can't happen soon enough. Like Arrow on Flash before it, Supergirl comes off far better when she isn't on her own show.
Old 11-15-16, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't watch superhero shows to be lectured to.
Interesting. I quit college because there wasn't enough fighting in the classes.
Old 11-15-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this show... this fucking show.

I don't mind such topics, but the way it goes about in talking about them just feels so fucking off.
Old 11-15-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

For the record, Berlanti wrote the episode and he's openly gay.
Old 11-15-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
For the record, Berlanti wrote the episode and he's openly gay.
So that's why there was all the global warming crap
Old 11-15-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

This is one of the first episodes that felt like an afterschool special. Not good.
Old 11-15-16, 12:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Anyone in the NY/NJ area... the Giants game will be on instead. The CW will air this episode on Saturday at 8pm. Or you can watch On Demand or the CW app after it airs.
yeah that sucks. i guess i could get it on demand today though...
Old 11-15-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't worry, soon the Arrowverse members will have their chance to fight aliens illegally on the planet.
Old 11-15-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 89 Posts

I enjoyed the episode due to the Parasite, one of my favorite Superman villains. That fight was epic for television, wish we had gotten more of him.

It's been fun seeing Mon-El's personality. Not everyone with powers would automatically think of becoming a superhero first. Please don't trap him in the Phantom Zone anytime soon.
Old 11-15-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a shit about the sisters sexual orientation. This show started out so well this year... unfortunately, it has quickly turned into a soap opera.

Last edited by Easy; 11-15-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-15-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

It's been fun seeing Mon-El's personality. Not everyone with powers would automatically think of becoming a superhero first. Please don't trap him in the Phantom Zone anytime soon.
It is kinda contradictory that with Alex's sexual orientation they are determined to send the message that she has to be the person she is, and that she should live her life as freely as she chooses, but Mon-El is not free to live his life as he chooses. I understand that Kara does not want Mon-El engaging in illegal activities, but just because he has powers does not mean he has to dedicate his life to law enforcement.
Old 11-15-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
It is kinda contradictory that with Alex's sexual orientation they are determined to send the message that she has to be the person she is, and that she should live her life as freely as she chooses, but Mon-El is not free to live his life as he chooses. I understand that Kara does not want Mon-El engaging in illegal activities, but just because he has powers does not mean he has to dedicate his life to law enforcement.
Apparently lots of aliens on Earth have special abilities. What makes Mon-El so much more special than all the rest of them?
Old 11-15-16, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 89 Posts

Comic book version of the Parasite.

Old 11-15-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This show is really, really rapidly losing me. Thank god the crossover is coming up soon because if it wasn't happening I would honestly probably be dropping it. Man, it's amazing how great the season started out and how much it's crashed and burned.

-I couldn't handle the Alex storyline anymore so I ended up fast forwarding through all of her scenes. It's just so heavy handed and really takes away from the show. It also almost feels like there trying their hardest to make a LGBTQ soap opera/after school special and it's dragging the show down. Even worse, that means we'll probably be stuck with an entire season of will they hook up and waiting for Alex and Maggie to hook up. Yay.

-Guardian was kind of cool, but of all people why on earth did they make him Jimmy Olsen? I also thought the scene of him yelling at Winn over having the suit ready was stupid. What sense does it make to yell at the guy making your super suit? And you can really tell that the writers had nothing else to do with him this season.

-I've always loved Parasite and why I enjoyed this version, I could have done without his origin story which felt like a rip off of The Thing. I also don't get why he looked like Pumpkinhead.

-I'm really enjoying Mon El and Kara's interaction. It shows how important Kara and Clark's upbringing with the Kent's and the Danver's were and how important it was for their decision to help people. I still enjoy his storyline and his interactions with Kara. Not sure though why there neutering his powers however. Also Melissa was adorable being drunk.

-Am I the only one who almost just wishes we had a Superman series instead?

I'm trying to hold out hope things get better but right now this season is looking like it will be up their with Legends season 1 and Arrow season 3 as worst Berlantiverse seasons.
Old 11-15-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
This show is really, really rapidly losing me. Thank god the crossover is coming up soon because if it wasn't happening I would honestly probably be dropping it. Man, it's amazing how great the season started out and how much it's crashed and burned.

-I couldn't handle the Alex storyline anymore so I ended up fast forwarding through all of her scenes. It's just so heavy handed and really takes away from the show. It also almost feels like there trying their hardest to make a LGBTQ soap opera/after school special and it's dragging the show down. Even worse, that means we'll probably be stuck with an entire season of will they hook up and waiting for Alex and Maggie to hook up. Yay.

I disagree. I think the Alex storyline is adding depth and vulnerability to her character. I realize that some of you guys don't enjoy or don't feel comfortable having that kind of drama portrayed/acted on TV. But I think it's adding another dimension to a character that we really know little about. I also think Chyler Leigh did a tremendous job with those scenes. Some of them were awkward, which is to be expected and even heartbreaking (final scene with Maggie and Kara). And IMO she has the acting pedigree to pull off that kind of drama.

Yeah it's a super hero/comic adapted show, but I see nothing wrong with adding a real human moment.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/after-d...hearted-245907

I agree with this review from AV Club. They gave the episode a B+

You're entitled to feel the way you do, but I don't think this type of drama is too heavy handed and only belongs in soap operas.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-15-16 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Meh. this show is getting dopey.

Jimmy olson has been wrong from the start and now his Guardian nonsense is over the top.

Guardian shouldn't be fighting the Parasite he should be stopping crime like muggers and street level criminals.

Oh and supergirl's sister has some brutal looking teeth

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.