Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Vampire Diaries (The CW) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 10/21/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The Vampire Diaries (The CW) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 10/21/16

So I guess Nina will be doing double duty in the series finale playing Katherine and Elena.

Can't believe it's only 2 more weeks and it's over for good. I'm ready for it to be finally over. I dedicated 8 years of my life to this series and hopefully it has a satisfying end.
Old 02-27-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: The Vampire Diaries (The CW) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 10/21/16

I'm ready for it to end. They pushed these characters far past their limits to keep up the rollercoaster ride that is Vampire Diaries. I'm still surprised Nina Dobrev left when she did.
Old 02-27-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm still surprised Nina Dobrev left when she did.
I'm sure some agents dazzled her with "more money, less work, movie star!". Not much traction on that front so far. I expect her movie star path will bear similarities to that of David Caruso.
Old 02-27-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by randian
I'm sure some agents dazzled her with "more money, less work, movie star!". Not much traction on that front so far. I expect her movie star path will bear similarities to that of David Caruso.
She has 3 upcoming movies, including the Flatliners update.

I don't think she's in any hurry to do another TV series.

I think she will do an occasional Indie movie, some rom coms and have a few supporting roles in bigger movies for her future movie career.
Old 02-27-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
She has 3 upcoming movies, including the Flatliners update.
I'm sure she's getting work, I just don't think she'll end up as a leading lady like Jennifer Aniston did after Friends.
Old 02-27-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Nina's post-VD career will look similar to Sarah Michelle Gellar's Hollywood career. Which is steady work but won't set the world on fire as a huge star. VD gave her a fanbase but she's hitting the age when actresses have to get out of genre films. She's likely too old to make the transition to regular dramatic work at this point as a star.
Old 03-10-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

It's already aired in the East coast, but tonight is the series finale.

1 hour retrospective on the series at 8pm. Finale at 9pm
Old 03-10-17, 09:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I never saw series, but caught last 30 or so seconds. Know idea what it meant, but seemed so happy and cookie cutter. I thought this was a dark, campy show?
Old 03-10-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I never saw series, but caught last 30 or so seconds. Know idea what it meant, but seemed so happy and cookie cutter. I thought this was a dark, campy show?
Watching 30 seconds of the final episode of a show that's been on 8 years will not give you any sort of context of what it's a about.

But yes for the most part it was a dark show.
Old 03-11-17, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Nina Dobrev looked bad, her face looked like crap and at her wigs. She looked a bit better at the end with her short natural hair.

anyway I was crying like a bitch
Old 03-11-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
They went super-happy and warm for the final ten minutes of the series. The whole segment was in soft, romantic lighting like you used to see back in the 1940s.

Well, Vampire Diaries is over. I was somewhat disappointed they brought Nina back, only to have Elena show up with about 10 minutes left in the series. Elena is the primary reason why the series ran eight years, and you barely give her any dialogue in the show's final episode. The twist with Stefan and Damon barely made a lick of sense.

They seemed more concerned making sure every single former character got an appearance, even if it was only a non-speaking single shot. That felt kind of dopey for a show that never pulled its punches and had already said goodbye multiple times this season to most of them.

VD was one of the best shows on television its first couple of seasons, before the formula got out of hand. I did find it funny they got to squeeze in one more false gas leak cover story for the finale. The sheriffs in Mystic Falls must have used that excuse dozens of times over the eight seasons.
Old 03-11-17, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk God

For the most part it was a decent series ender. But, I think cramming in all those cameos from actors who have been part of the series past in the final 10 minutes felt very forced & a little corny.

They really wanted to go for the super happy ending with everyone now dead and reuniting in the after life. That did feel kind of dopey & Lost-like. They could have easily ended it with Damon and Elena walking off together at the cemetery.

Yeah Nina looked odd. The bad wig and makeup stood out. I agree she did look a little better when they jumped forward to her being a med student.

I did also watch the 1 hour clip show/retrospective beforehand. It was alright. Felt like something you would see on the DVD. Very self congratulatory EPK.
Old 03-11-17, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2017/03/the-vamp...on-1202040971/

I know most here, including myself, don't watch The Originals. But, Julie Plec says in this interview that Matt Davis (Alaric) will appear in a couple of episodes this season. He will supposedly mention the Salvatore school that Klaus sent the donation for.
Old 03-11-17, 10:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

^ wow. You know nothing about DJ and your self righteous snarky comment is beyond dickish. Aren't you the guy obsessing about collecting thousands of Vudu movies? we all have our vices and outlets.
Old 03-11-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Not going to lie, I got a little blurry eyed during the last 10 ministers.

I think the biggest plot hole was Bonnie takes blood from Elena and she's fine. Stephan gives his blood to Damon and is all of a sudden on a fast track to aged death? Makes no sense. Besides, why not just push Katherine into the fire?!

As good as it was to have Elena back for the finale, and to bring closure with her family, it was awesome to have Katherine back one last time. As Damon pointed out, she helped kick off this wild and crazy ride from the start.

It was nice to have a Stephan and Elena scene right where it all started. I still don't understand why they split or why she went for Damon, but I suppose that's water under Wikery Bridge. At least we got to see Lexi again. So crazy her original fate was met back in season 1.

Even though I didn't like her for much of the series, I'm glad Bonnie got to travel and free herself from all the burdens. Likewise, seems like Matt got to live out a normal life.

Unfortunately Caroline got the biggest shaft from all of this. I did think she wouldn't make it out during her speech to Rick. Good thing they were both there for the girls in the end. Pretty cool how Rick ended up being a teacher again since that's how we first met him.

In the end I think it was fitting Stephan and Damon ended up together. It was their story long before Elena and Katherine ever entered the picture. I will miss them both and their relationship, but especially Damon. His snyde snarky self and delivery, along with his refusal to give up and always find a loophole.

I think there's probably something poetic yet bittersweet that TVD ended twenty years to the day that Buffy premiered. I know it had its ups and downs, and crazy nonsensical plot points (right up until the end), but I'm going to miss this show And the characters it brought us.
Old 03-11-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know most here, including myself, don't watch The Originals. But, Julie Plec says in this interview that Matt Davis (Alaric) will appear in a couple of episodes this season. He will supposedly mention the Salvatore school that Klaus sent the donation for.
If you've seen any of the special features or a Julie Plec interview over the years, one gets the impression she has a huge crush on Matt Davis. It's why Alaric kept surviving on VD when younger, better characters kept getting killed off.
Old 03-11-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

It should be CAROLINE, damn-it!.
Old 03-12-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is talk of a possible VD spin-off centered around the school run by Caroline. Ratings did hit a season-high for the finale.

While I liked Caroline as a character, I don't have much interest in seeing any form of a spin-off. VD itself burned through so much plot development over the years that I don't think this fictional universe has much left to give fans. I watched most of the last season more out of obligation than actual enjoyment.
Old 03-12-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

There is talk of a possible VD spin-off centered around the school run by Caroline. Ratings did hit a season-high for the finale.

While I liked Caroline as a character, I don't have much interest in seeing any form of a spin-off. VD itself burned through so much plot development over the years that I don't think this fictional universe has much left to give fans. I watched most of the last season more out of obligation than actual enjoyment.
Ehh, I'm sure they'd come up with something. They'd probably have a student base mixture of vampires, witches, werewolves, with additional things showing up. No doubt they'd have guest stars from some of the remaining cast members. They'd probably do a half season of Originals followed by this. However, if you're Candice Acola do you really want to pour the next X years of your career into the same character? I guess it's a steady pay check and would allow other work with a short season (or family time).
Old 03-13-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Caroline would be running some sort of academy for "special" students with powers from what I've read.
Old 03-13-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Caroline would be running some sort of academy for "special" students with powers from what I've read.
So she would become Professer X(or Emma Frost or Jean Grey in the more recent history).
Old 03-13-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

There are currently no plans for a Vampire Diaries spinoff. The only way the universe would continue is if The Originals gets renewed, which is slim.

If I were Candice King, I would sit out a year, raise her baby, and then maybe make herself available for next Pilot season. She would have a much better chance of getting a lead role next season. Pilots are being filmed right now. However, there is always a chance of a recast and she could get a job next season.