DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Vampire Diaries (The CW) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 10/21/16

Vampire
upload photo

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21

SEASON PREMIERE

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES

"Hello, Brother" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLSV) (HDTV)

THE BEGINNING OF THE END - Months after Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Enzo (Michael Malarkey) mysteriously vanished from the Armory vault, Stefan (Paul Wesley) tirelessly pushes forward with their search, while Bonnie (Kat Graham) struggles holding onto hope that they will be found. Meanwhile, a dangerous encounter with an unexpected visitor leaves Caroline (Candice King) and Alaric (Matt Davis) fearing that someone - or something - may be targeting their family. Finally, after following some mysterious clues, Stefan realizes that whatever has a hold of his brother may have a more damaging grip over him than he could have ever imagined. Michael Allowitz directed the episode written by Julie Plec & Kevin Williamson (#801). Original airdate 10/21/2016.

16 episode Final season

Yes, it's finally ending for those who stuck with it the last 8 years.

The Producers/Network are reportedly trying to get Nina Dobrev for the series finale, but there has been no update recently.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-21-16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: The Vampire Diaries (The CW) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 10/21/16

They reference Nina Dobrev in the season opener with a flashback. My guess is that she comes back for one or two episodes near the end and they already have this in the bank. This could be the only role that ever makes a mark in her career and genre stars often make big money through their cult followings, years after the show is over. She will show up to appease the hardcore fans one last time.

This opener had a really different tone to it than we've come to expect from Vampire Diaries. It was much darker with Damon having given up any hope, the show's normally sarcastic voice.

They actually built the anticipation up quite well for the creature's reveal, only to

Spoiler:
ruin it by introducing a standard siren from Greek mythology. A big letdown considering they were building this monster up as the ultimate evil. After all the super monsters they've thrown at us over the years, I guess there was nothing left.

Does anyone understand the tangled web of relationships left on this show? The entire Caroline/Alaric relationship seems like a bad dream everyone wants to mothball.
Old 10-22-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Vampire Diaries (The CW) -- The Final Season Thread -- Premieres 10/21/16

Very dark episode overall. The opening sequence with Damon committing cold blood murder with that couple did make me squirm.

Did the show have a time jump I missed? Caroline and Alaric's daughters are already 3 or 4 years old? Caroline just gave birth to them in the middle of last season IIRC. I know last season did jump back or forth between present time and 3 years from now, but I thought we were still in the current timeline.

I am however tired of the turning on and off their humanity thing that's been recurring between the Salvatore brothers. Now we have Damon being a whiny brat and turning off his humanity because Elena is still in limbo and his life isn't where he wanted it to be.
Old 10-22-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Very dark episode overall. The opening sequence with Damon committing cold blood murder with that couple did make me squirm.

Did the show have a time jump I missed? Caroline and Alaric's daughters are already 3 or 4 years old? Caroline just gave birth to them in the middle of last season IIRC. I know last season did jump back or forth between present time and 3 years from now, but I thought we were still in the current timeline.

I am however tired of the turning on and off their humanity thing that's been recurring between the Salvatore brothers. Now we have Damon being a whiny brat and turning off his humanity because Elena is still in limbo and his life isn't where he wanted it to be.
Last season it went full-on the 3 years time skip towards the end of the season just like on The Originals.
Old 10-30-16, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I just watched the premier, but haven't watched episode 2 yet.

I was confused about some piece, but I think that time jump last year stuck. It wasn't a reset back to before their mom broke out.

I'm okay with the siren development. As Alaric said at the end they've been known in some mythologies to be agents of the devil. It was seriously insinuated that they were acting on behalf of the devil. Take Daemon's speech to Stephan. I'm sure they are looking to build up to the devil reveal until episode 9 or so.

Would be nice if Nina came back for more than just the end. Sneak in an episode in the middle where Catherine cakes back. If the devil is loose and he was who whisked her off years ago, then that would be the avenue to have her come back.
Old 10-30-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

The Siren is an interesting nemesis to the group. She seems to be playing on Damon's weakness' right now. I already hate her.

Felt bad for Sarah Salvatore. But, Tristin Mays is now on MacGyver, so this was essentially her wrap up episode. Funny thing is that MacGyver and The Vampire Diaries both shoot in Atlanta, so it was probably easy to get her again.

They've been using footage of Nina Dobrev from the Pilot episode in these last 2 episodes. I assume she's getting paid something for them to use her likeness.

There is still 14 more episodes left. I assume there will be plenty of time to try to get Nina back for at least 1 episode.
Old 10-31-16, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

yeah sucks that Sarah Salvatore died

Alaric needs to get with both, THE NANNY & ASSISTANT asap
Old 11-04-16, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

There is still 14 more episodes left. I assume there will be plenty of time to try to get Nina back for at least 1 episode.
Nina won't be back, Elena doesn't exist anymore! well for Damon.
Old 11-05-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good thing this is the last season, otherwise I'd have probably dropped the show based on what we've had so far this season. Definitely ran out of ideas...
Old 11-05-16, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thirteen episodes to go.

I'm entertained for the most part. Yet some things they do are annoying and can Bonnie get her magic back now!
Old 11-08-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

I've enjoyed the 1st 3 episodes. The Siren/Sybil has been an interesting new foe for the group.

Did Damon really kill Tyler at the end? Wow, the guy has really turned cold blooded. Did they ever really explain why he turned off his humanity and became cold blooded? I've actually kind of enjoyed seeing Damon go back to his early form when he was a killer and not some love struck puppy.
Old 11-08-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm on the opposite fence DJariya. I'm tired of them playing the Damon has no feelings card. If he can't have Elena then screw everything else... or just that he doesn't care about anyone. I mean this same thing has happened multiple times through the series. The series is coming to an end... They should be showing the cast finally 'maturing' out of this kind of stuff rather than seeming like nothing has changed. Damon hasn't learned anything through the series? I get that he's turned his humanity off and his mind is being toyed with.... but I'd have much rather seen someone else in that position. Perhaps Caroline given her track record, so it'd be something fresh for the character rather than just feeling like rehashing the same drama for the same character again.
Old 11-09-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The season has been watchable so far to me. The siren has been a better antagonist than I anticipated, though I wonder how long before we get bored of her act.

It appears the staff is killing off practically every minor character. I wonder if that is to kill the network bringing the show back as a spin-off in the future.
Old 11-15-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, that was an interesting episode on Friday

Tyler's dead and we get the back story of the Siren who turns out to be some kind of cannibal immortal. Plus, Allison Scagliotti's character gets killed off.

Alaric's Nanny being the sister of Sybil was a surprise. Also, I did not realize until this episode that Selene was the same actress who played the cute teacher Katie, who died in Containment last season. Guess she got the job here because of Julie Plec being the showrunner of both series.
Old 11-16-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that episode was a train wreck. I kept thinking back to the episode of Lost in its final weeks revealing the origins of the Island and how most people were incredibly let-down by that backstory. They had to come up with some convoluted backstory for Hell since they didn't want to touch the Christian version at all.

Now that that is out of the way, they can get back to normal monster versus vamps action.
Old 11-19-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Selene kidnapping Alaric and Caroline's kids was interesting way to end things.

Other than that, Damon was being cold and evil another week. Wash and rinse.

After some thinking, the humanity on and off switch is getting quite old. At least Enzo is finally back to normal. Even though I'm not a fan of the character.

I can't wait until Sybil dies. Cannot stand her.

As expected, kind of a crappy end for Tyler. Gets 5 minutes of screen time and then Damon kills him off. For me, Damon at this point is beyond redemption. He murdered one of the group's closest friends in cold blood. Even bringing back Elena for the finale, I think Damon is going to meet a dark fate at the end.
Old 11-20-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if Tyler got paid to briefly play his corpse in the episode? I didn't think much of his return. They might as well have killed him off screen.

From what I've heard, Tyler got written out of the show when he played hardball with his contract.
Old 11-24-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Given the ups and downs of this show over the years I've been pretty pleased with this season. I'd say, so far, the season is in the top 50%. Sadly nothing has ever matched seasons 1 and 2.

I was encouraged by Georgie getting sucked away, because that is exactly what happened the last time we saw Katherine. If anybody could just waltz out of hell it would be her!

I saw a reviewer saying they'd hope to get backstory on Virginia St. John from last season. Looks like that got filled in a bit with the trunk delivery to Matt.

Mysteries have been unraveled, but they need to drop some clues where we are going from here. Are the sisters trying to resurrect the devil/Cade or send all bad souls there enmass?
Old 11-26-16, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not that worried about the end game. I hope they have something planned for a final arc that doesn't involve Cade.
Old 12-04-16, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

at the cliffhanger. Like they expect anyone to believe that Alaric actually killed Damon.

Someone really needs to kill the Sirens, especially Sybil.
Old 12-04-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

at the cliffhanger. Like they expect anyone to believe that Alaric actually killed Damon.

Someone really needs to kill the Sirens, especially Sybil.
Eh, I doubt he did at this point, but being the final season, I doubt they're scared to actually kill off most of the cast, including Damon by the time it ends.
Old 12-05-16, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Rick and Matt don't know that Damon has a deal with the devil. No way he's dead.

None of these people should have a happy ending. All of them have the blood of hundreds of innocents people on there hands. Even Matt and Bonnie are complicit for the actions of there friends.
Old 12-05-16, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Rick and Matt don't know that Damon has a deal with the devil. No way he's dead.

None of these people should have a happy ending. All of them have the blood of hundreds of innocents people on there hands. Even Matt and Bonnie are complicit for the actions of there friends.
Even though I can enjoy watching this and originals it's true that these people for the most part are awful or will be again, have been etc.... It's not even a bad thing if all vampires meet an end or even turned back to human (does not mean they all get off fee)
Old 12-05-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are no good people left on this show. Sane people would have left Mystic Falls years and years ago.
Old 12-05-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There are no good people left on this show. Sane people would have left Mystic Falls years and years ago.
Even though I like magic. When Mystic Falls became a magic free zone that was the best thing to ever happen to that town.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.