Reload this Page >

Direct TV during a rain storm?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-14-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I just had a Direct TV repairman come out too the house on an unrelated matter and he was mentioning that during a rain storm go into the settings and change all the HD channels over to SD channels and you should not lose the picture during a storm.

I never heard of that. Has anyone ever tried this and did it work ok?

One reason my dad never switched to Direct TV was because of the signal loss during storms.
Old 09-14-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Direct TV during a rain storm?

Sounds plausible. When I had DTV I had all my channels set to HD only when there's a choice. I didn't really watch any SD channels so I can't say I noticed.

I stayed away from dish-based service for a while because of concerns over losing signal but for some reason when it did happen (which wasn't often), it didn't bother me too much. Considering how bad video service was on my landbased cable, I was happy to get higher quality video at the expense of having occasional signal loss.
Old 09-14-16, 04:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Yes, that is correct. Had directv awhile back and when hd goes out, sd seems to remain good...
Old 09-14-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Don't the HD signals come from a different satellite?

Although I don't see why that would mean you'd get reception from one, but not the other. Unless the SD satellite has a higher output power?

Or maybe, the HD satellite is lower in the sky, meaning you have more atmosphere/rain to go through.
Old 09-14-16, 05:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yes, this is true.
Old 09-14-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

They are in different positions, although fairly close together

https://forums.att.com/t5/DVR-Receiv...e/td-p/4681417
The only "required" satellite is 101ºW. All of the major SD channels are beamed from that satellite, and it's required for all channel packages. If you also have HD equipment, you'll need to receive 99ºW and 103ºW, which are very close in the sky to 101ºW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecTV_satellite_fleet
Old 09-14-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I switched too an HD dish back in November 2014 and before that I had an SD dish and it would go out all the time during a storm. Maybe the technology has improved since that time period.
Old 09-14-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I often wondered why the Weather Channel was in SD so I guess the reason behind that is more people can receive it during threatening weather conditions and if it were in HD a lot of people would be screwed about receiving updated weather info(even though you still have weather radio and internet).
Old 09-14-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I just had a Direct TV repairman come out too the house on an unrelated matter and he was mentioning that during a rain storm go into the settings and change all the HD channels over to SD channels and you should not lose the picture during a storm.

I never heard of that. Has anyone ever tried this and did it work ok?
It depends on how strong the storm is.

On my DirecTV system the HD will go out before the SD, but if it's a hard rain, they'll both go out. The SD signals seem to be a bit more robust.

A while back I lost power during a storm for a couple of seconds and when I rebooted I lost all HD channels. Appears that the HD feeds were out when it reloaded the satellite data, so only the SD channels reloaded. I reset the re eiver after the storm and they all came back.
Old 09-14-16, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Part of it depends on how well your dish is aligned. If you get in the mid to upper 90s in signal strength on all satellites, you shouldn't lose HD picture in anything but the very worst storms.
Old 09-14-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Although I don't see why that would mean you'd get reception from one, but not the other. Unless the SD satellite has a higher output power?
SD uses less bandwidth than HD, so it is easier to get full frames of video.

Also, for the main satellite, your dish only needs the right direction and angle. For the second and third satellites, the tilt has to be right also. If the tilt is off a bit, you won't get as strong of a signal from the other two satellites.
Old 09-14-16, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Part of it depends on how well your dish is aligned. If you get in the mid to upper 90s in signal strength on all satellites, you shouldn't lose HD picture in anything but the very worst storms.
That's how it was for me - clear view to the southwest with no trees or buildings in the way.
Old 09-14-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

I lose signal for a couple minutes during heavy storms but not enough to go over to the sd feed.
Old 09-15-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Rain fade was the reason I ultimately left DirecTV. Loved the service other than that problem.