Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fall 2016: 7 New Shows to Watch & 7 New Shows to Skip according to Huffington Post

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fall 2016: 7 New Shows to Watch & 7 New Shows to Skip according to Huffington Post

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...?section=us_tv

SHOWS TO WATCH

“Atlanta”

Donald Glover is the writer/creator/star of FX’s “Atlanta,” a show that follows two cousins as they attempt to make in the music business. Glover stars as Earnest “Earn” Marks, an Ivy-league drop out turned credit card sales man, who convinces his cousin Alfred “Paper Boi” Miles (Brian Tyree Henry) to let him manage his burgeoning rap career. The series premiered on Sept. 6, but the pilot episode is available to watch on YouTube.

“Atlanta” airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. EST on FX.

“Better Things”

Also from FX this season is “Better Things,” starring Pamela Adlon as Sam Fox, a 40-something actress and single mother to three daughters. “Better Things” is the network’s first comedy with a female lead and offers a darkly humorous look at motherhood, aging and Hollywood bullshit. The pilot episode is a bit of a slog to get through, but viewers will be rewarded if they stick with it.

“Better Things” premiered on Sept. 8. You can watch the first episode online and catch the rest Thursdays at 10 p.m. on FX.

“Pitch”

Kylie Bunbury stars as Ginny Baker, a rookie pitcher who becomes the first woman to play in Major League Baseball when she signs with the San Diego Padres. The Fox show, also staring Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Ali Larter, is garnering a lot of buzz among critics and has the potential to be one of the standout shows of the season.

“Pitch” premieres Sept. 22 at 9 p.m. EST on FOX.

“American Housewife”

The ABC sitcom stars Katy Mixon as Katie Otto, a sarcastic mother of three who sticks out among the Stepford-esque mommies in the wealthy town of Westport, Connecticut. The pilot episode sets the tone for the series, humorously dealing with body image and class as viewers join Katie on her quest to make sure that she not become “the second-fattest housewife in Westport” after her neighbor who held the title moves out of town.

“American Housewife” premieres Oct. 11 at 8:30 p.m. EST on ABC.

”This Is Us”

Get ready to cry. NBC’s “This Is Us” comes from writer Dan Fogelman and directors John Requa and Glenn Ficarra, who were behind 2011’s “Crazy, Stupid, Love.” And without giving too much away, by the time you’ve watched the first episode, you’ll understand why it’s important to know that ― or at least why it makes sense.

“This Is Us” follows four people with very different lives who just happen to share a birthday, and so far it’s our guess for the season’s breakout hit. It stars Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia, Sterling K. Brown, Justin Hartley, and Chrissy Metz.

“This Is Us” premieres Sept. 20 at 10 p.m. EST on NBC.

”The Good Place”

Kristen Bell is incredibly charming as Eleanor Shellstrop, an obnoxious and self-centered narcissist, who is hellbent on reforming herself now that she’s dead. When she accidentally ends up in Heaven, aka The Good Place, she must learn to fit in for her sake and everyone else’s. The NBC sitcom also stars Ted Danson and William Jackson Harper.

“The Good Place” premieres Sept. 19 at 10 p.m. EST on NBC.

“Westworld”

HBO is so sure they have a hit on their hands with “Westworld,” they’ve already planned the next five seasons of the western sci-fi series from J.J. Abrams, Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy. Based on the 1973 film by Michael Crichton, the series is about a futuristic theme park where guests can play out their creepy sex fantasies with extremely realistic-looking androids, until they, you know, revolt and start killing everyone.

“Westworld” premieres on Oct. 2 at 9 p.m. EST on HBO.

SHOWS TO SKIP

“Conviction” - Just what TV needs: Another procedural.

“Notorious” - Meh, and still more lawyers.

“Bull” - The title of this show really says it all — and yet even more lawyers.

“Pure Genius” - The medical revolution will be hokey and overly sentimental.

“The Great Indoors” - This show is basically “How to Write the Worst Possible Column About Millennials,” the series ― participation trophy jokes and all.

“Man With a Plan” - Somehow, CBS execs greenlit a show in 2016 where the premise is about a dad realizing that parenting is hard when mom goes back to work.

“Kevin Can Wait” - We’ll wait for something else.

Obviously there are hundreds more, but thought this was an interesting piece.

In the article, I'm most interested in Westworld, The Good Place and Pitch. This is Us has a pretty good cast and creative team behind it.

I've already tried Better Things and will DVR a re-air of the Pilot of Atlanta this week.

Funny that 5 of the 7 new shows to skip air on CBS and 3 of them are comedies.

Trying not to record too many 30 comedies. Because most of them just aren't good.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-16 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Fall 2016: 7 New Shows to Watch & 7 New Shows to Skip according to Huffington Pos

No love for Designated Survivor?

Out of the above I'll check out This is Us and The Good Place. I just set the TiVo for the Atlanta pilot. Looks like episode 2 doesn't have a reair scheduled though.
Old 09-11-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Fall 2016: 7 New Shows to Watch & 7 New Shows to Skip according to Huffington Pos

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No love for Designated Survivor?

Out of the above I'll check out This is Us and The Good Place. I just set the TiVo for the Atlanta pilot. Looks like episode 2 doesn't have a reair scheduled though.
The Pilot for Atlanta was 1 hour (episode 1 and 2)

Episode 3 is back to 30 minutes

You're good.
Old 09-11-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow, I love Kristen Bell but the ads have been awful. Shocked this is something to watch. Kind of interested in Bull.
Old 09-11-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Pilot for Atlanta was 1 hour (episode 1 and 2)

Episode 3 is back to 30 minutes

You're good.
Old 09-11-16, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

The ads for This Is Us leave me wanting to punch my tv screen. I just imagine a bunch of writers sitting in a room patting themselves on the back with all their witty dialogue...that no one in real life would actually say.
Old 09-12-16, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

The Good Place is usually something I would pass on, I'm only giving it a chance because it's from Michael Schur (Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine).
Old 09-12-16, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I figured from watching the promos that "Pitch" would have a terrific, emotional pilot, but frankly, I just don't see where you go with it long-term and hold an audience.

"Westworld" is the only series on the list that I'm actually anticipating.
Old 09-12-16, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I loved King of Queens, but the new Kevin James series promos looked pretty bad. It was King of Queens (Overweight and Funny Kevin James and a Hot Wife with kids this time). I'll give it a shot cause I'm a big fan of his.
Old 09-12-16, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The ads for This Is Us leave me wanting to punch my tv screen. I just imagine a bunch of writers sitting in a room patting themselves on the back with all their witty dialogue...that no one in real life would actually say.
I believe that's called "Kevin Smithing."
Old 09-12-16, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I tried Better Things and I turned it off before it was over. Her fucking kids were just way too annoying.
Old 09-12-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

”This Is Us”

Get ready to cry. NBC’s “This Is Us” comes from writer Dan Fogelman and directors John Requa and Glenn Ficarra, who were behind 2011’s “Crazy, Stupid, Love.” And without giving too much away, by the time you’ve watched the first episode, you’ll understand why it’s important to know that ― or at least why it makes sense.
My prediction for the "This is Us" pilot:
Spoiler:
For the married couple expecting triplets, the mom dies in childbirth, and the dad is left having to raise the kids on his own.
Old 09-12-16, 09:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Am in for Atlanta, Better Things and Westworld. The subject matter of the others isn't drawing me in. American Housewife of course will draw comparisons to ABCs former hit Desperate Housewives. I could find myself tuning if the positive buzz sustains.
Old 09-12-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Am in for Atlanta, Better Things and Westworld. The subject matter of the others isn't drawing me in. American Housewife of course will draw comparisons to ABCs former hit Desperate Housewives. I could find myself tuning if the positive buzz sustains.
All the promos for "American Housewife" (which was originally titled "America's Second Fattest Housewife") pitch the show as a sitcom in the mold of "The Middle" or other ABC sitcoms.

I'm curious if "The Good Place" is strictly going to be a story of Kristen Bell's character in Heaven, which seems like a one-joke premise (she tries to curse but substitute words come out of her mouth, like "fork"). This is what the early promos are pointing to.
Old 09-12-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

My prediction is
American Housewife and Kevin Can Wait will be the only 2 shows on the list to survive cancellation in the first season.

Last edited by Quatermass; 09-12-16 at 02:44 PM. Reason: clarification