Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever discover a series way into first-run life span?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 12:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

Meaning tv shows that are still on, gave it a whirl after so many years and enjoyed it quite a bit and will stick around for its series run and possible watch the syndication reruns or buy on Blu/DVD...

I just got into Two and a Half Men and really enjoying the hell out of it. Watch all the repeats on all the stations and the first-run. Very fun show and I love how each ep. is titled after a line in that particular show. I love hearing it.

You?
Old 02-19-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Ever discover a series way into first-run life span?

I saw the pilot for Parks and Recreation. I didn't think it was that funny and then saw an episode recently on a plane that was flat out great. Caught up on netflix and now it's one of my favorite shows.
Old 02-19-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I didn't start watching Buffy until right before the 7th season began. I bought the first 3 seasons on DVD and caught S6 episodes right before the season premiere. It was a tad confusing but I finally saw all the episodes.

I didn't start watching Fringe until a couple weeks ago. Watched the first two seasons using VOD right before the new episodes began on Friday nights.
Old 02-19-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dexter. I didn't start watching he first season until just last summer. I was hooked and then plowed through all four seasons during the fall and winter. I'm now waiting for season 5 to come out on DVD.
Old 02-19-11, 01:52 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I was late to the party for both 24 (started with season 6) and Lost (started with season 2).
Old 02-19-11, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found seasons 5 and 6 of Smallville at Goodwill for around $5 a piece. I netflixed the rest of the seasons and got caught up in time for season 8.
Old 02-19-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Super J
I found seasons 5 and 6 of Smallville at Goodwill for around $5 a piece. I netflixed the rest of the seasons and got caught up in time for season 8.
Similar story. Started watching on DVD with season 4, did the same for a few seasons, then watched the last few on broadcast. I should catch up on the early seasons sometime, but I developed a deep dislike for Lana in her last seasons which lessens the appeal.
Old 02-19-11, 02:57 PM

The Sopranos -- I got onboard around 2001 or so.

The Wire -- Unfortunately, didn't start paying attention until the fourth season.
Old 02-19-11, 02:58 PM

Right now I am getting into Doctor Who (and possibly Torchwood). I have also done this with The Wire Alias, and others.
Old 02-19-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched seasons 1 and 2 of The Office before season 3 started. Loved 1 and 2 and then loved 3 and have hated it ever since and have since stopped watching it.

Same exact things with 24. Watched the first 2 seasons before the third season started and loved it right up to the end.

Does it count if I watched the series finale of Lost and then just last night watched part 1 of the pilot episode? Honestly I'd like to go back and watch all the episodes of Lost but am just having a hard time getting the motivation especially since I now know how it all ends.

I actually did the same thing with the Sopranos but watched like the last 4 or 5 episodes of the final season. Again, just lacking the motivation to go back and actually start from the beginning. There are a lot of shows like that for me. I want to start watching Mad Men, Dexter, Oz and The Wire, but I simply can't get motivated to do it.

Actually now that I think about it, very rarely have I started a series from the beginning and watched all the way through. I started watching Seinfeld in like season 3 maybe.
Old 02-19-11, 04:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I started watching Chuck and Dexter in their 2nd season.
The season 3 finale of Supernatural got me hooked.
I started watching How I Met Your Mother this season and have been watching the older episodes in syndication.

I'm generally late to the party on a bunch of shows.
Old 02-19-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Saturday Night Live.
Old 02-19-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up Seasons 1-3 of How I Met Your Mother on DVD and watched them all before Season 4 premiered. Did the same thing with The New Adventures Of Old Christine, watched Seasons 1-2 on DVD and then caught the rest of the series as it aired.

I got Seasons 1-5 of Lost on Blu-ray during an Amazon sale. I watched all 5 Seasons on Blu-ray, then watched Season 6 on Hulu, and then watched the Series Finale live.

South Park and Scrubs were others that I started at some point during their initial runs, but I don't remember exactly when. With Scrubs I know I caught a lot of the episodes in syndication and eventually started watching it live.

I got Seasons 1-2 of The Office on DVD, then watched some of Season 3 online until I caught to first airings, and have been watching it ever since.

---

On the flipside, I have been watching 24 since the first episode premiered all those years ago. In fact, during its entire run, there was only one episode that I didn't watch live (I had an exam that night and had to catch it online the following day).
Old 02-19-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Well, I don't recall ever actually being there for episode one of any show I've liked - ever. I'm not really into TV - like where I can't miss watching something. But I like The Office, 30 Rock, Always Sunny, and a few other shows. I remember loving Home Improvement, but didn't pick up on that till it was a few seasons in.

I'd be curious to know how many people picked up on a show on day one and stayed with it.
Old 02-19-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Well, I don't recall ever actually being there for episode one of any show I've liked - ever. I'm not really into TV - like where I can't miss watching something. But I like The Office, 30 Rock, Always Sunny, and a few other shows. I remember loving Home Improvement, but didn't pick up on that till it was a few seasons in.

I'd be curious to know how many people picked up on a show on day one and stayed with it.
Off the top of my head...24, Prison Break, Arrested Development, Futurama, Parks And Recreation, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The League, Justified, Firefly, Glee, and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I'm sure there's some I'm missing, and that's obviously that's not counting shows I picked up a few episodes in (Community being the most recent example, I started around the third episode, after watching the first two online).

I actually watched Family Guy during its initial run, then watched it when it came back to the air, but stopped watching the episodes live a year or two ago, only to catch them on DVD not too long ago.
Old 02-19-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ER - I had seen maybe 1 or 2 episodes out of 7 seasons. Finally started watching the first runs, and quickly caught up with the older episodes because TNT used to show 2 a day M-F, so I would be able to get through an entire season in less than 3 weeks.
Old 02-19-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Chuck - I started watching the series on DVD while season 3 was midway through.

Breaking Bad - same story, I caught up via DVD and DVR while season 3 was airing.

I've just started watching season 1 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Old 02-19-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Seems I'm that way with most shows. I wait to hear about something being really good, then I catch up via DVD. Off the top of my head (with the help of others in this thread): 24, Lost, The Office, 30 Rock and while not quite the same as these others, I was way late to Survivor before going back and catching up on the seasons that have been released.
Old 02-19-11, 05:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Only show's currently are Mad Men and Breaking Bad (got into both of them during season 2 and caught up on season 1 via DVD). A few past shows as well:

Oz
Alias
Six Feet Under
Old 02-19-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was really, really, really late to NCIS. A marathon of repeats on USA one rainy Saturday got me severely sucked into that show after season six had ended. Needless to say, I had a lot of catching up to do.
Old 02-19-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I got into LOST three months before the debut of Season 5; had to go through four seasons in near record time.
Old 02-19-11, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got into King of Queens and Scrubs when they went into syndication.
Old 02-19-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

The Office - Got into it about 2 years ago, caught up via Netflix, then started watching on TV.

The Wire - Bought/checked out (then bought) up to season 4 over the span of a year, then had to wait a while for Season 5 to start.

The Shield - Rented/Bought (then bought what I rented) the show over the span of a year, later I saw the final two seasons as they aired.

Mad Men - Caught up on Seasons 1 and 2 then saw 3 onwards as it aired. I was asked to see the S2 premiere by my brother and mom (who only really saw that one episode) but left like 15 minutes through, mainly because I didn't want to be in the middle of a series, but also because I was uninterested. How wrong I was!
Old 02-19-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Alias - S3
House - S5
24 - S4
Seinfeld - S8
Frasier - S11
Old 02-19-11, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I saw the last episode of Buffy S7 when it aired and was hooked. Caught up via DVDs soon after.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.