Reload this Page >

Preacher (S1E07) -- "He Gone" -- 7/10/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-10-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

An all new episode of AMC's "Preacher" airs Sunday, July 10th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the seventh episode, "He Gone" - written by Mary Laws and directed by Michael Morris - Jesse's actions alienate and endanger those closest to him, as we glimpse into his past and finally learn the root of all of his guilt. Critics continue to rave about the series, including Terry Terrones of Colorado Springs Gazette, who said, "A hodgepodge of different genres, this series is flat-out fun."

Episode 7 of 10
Old 07-11-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Preacher (S1E07) -- "He Gone" -- 7/10/16

I'm still amazed that they flipped the level of asshole-ness of all the characters compared to their comic book counter parts for reasons that are beyond my understanding.
Old 07-11-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. Jesse is a great character in the comics and you really root for the guy. In the TV show he comes off as quite the jerk most of the time. Tulip....well my venom for Negga in the role never abates, and its nothing like the comic character at all in any way except the name.
Old 07-11-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B-b-b-but, she said "until the end of the world," That's gotta count for something, right?

Yeah, not a fan of this episode.
Old 07-11-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree. There was maybe 15 interesting minutes, the rest felt like filler. I couldn't care less about the Tulip origin story. Or present day story. Somehow I think the show wouldn't suffer without her exaggerated mugging for the camera.
Old 07-11-16, 12:07 PM

I'm still enjoying Preacher, but hopefully they can have the story come together by the end of this season or at least find their footing by the 2nd season. Out of the new God/Supernatural shows, I'm liking Outcast more at this point, which I didn't think would happen.
Old 07-11-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
I'm still amazed that they flipped the level of asshole-ness of all the characters compared to their comic book counter parts for reasons that are beyond my understanding.
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I agree. Jesse is a great character in the comics and you really root for the guy. In the TV show he comes off as quite the jerk most of the time. Tulip....well my venom for Negga in the role never abates, and its nothing like the comic character at all in any way except the name.

Absolutely.

I wonder if people watching this are under the impression that Jesse is the villain of this thing? I'm watching it and think he's going to go all Darth Vader at any minute and go full on dark side.

They've even made Arseface completely unsympathetic, with him shooting Tracy in the head. In the comics he was introduced as a literal butt of jokes, but then we got his backstory, and what a shitty life he had growing up with a father who was a redneck asshole sheriff, but now we've seen him and, unless there's more to what happened with Tracy, he's just an asshole.

And speaking of the tv series making all of the characters into assholes, Sheriff Hugo Root is actually a pretty good guy here. In the comics he was the Drill Instructor from Full Metal Jacket's even meaner father.

Also looks we got our first look at Jody last night...
Old 07-11-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty much agree with most of what is said. For me, the biggest issue I had with this episode was with Jesse. The writers are certainly doing their best to make him an irredeemable asshole. I feel like he should have at least shown some glimmer of remorse for sending Arseface to Hell.

As for Arseface, I still find him more sympathetic than Jesse despite learning he killed a girl. The way the incident was described made Arseface seem more troubled than bad or evil.

My Sunday night TV buddies still say they like the show and that it's growing on them, but I'm the one who's still not sure what I think. I feel like I should be liking this far more than I do.
Old 07-11-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
They've even made Arseface completely unsympathetic, with him shooting Tracy in the head. In the comics he was introduced as a literal butt of jokes, but then we got his backstory, and what a shitty life he had growing up with a father who was a redneck asshole sheriff, but now we've seen him and, unless there's more to what happened with Tracy, he's just an asshole.
I think he was a sympathetic character until they revealed his backstory. Also, why isn't he in jail for attempted murder?
Old 07-12-16, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
I think he was a sympathetic character until they revealed his backstory. Also, why isn't he in jail for attempted murder?
Yeah, he was sympathetic until that revelation. Now, knowing that he tried to murder a girl for rejecting him and left her in a vegetative state, it's difficult to feel sorry for him.

Though I wouldn't aurprised to learn that there might be more to what happened, like Tracy tried to stop Eugene from killing himself and the gun went off wounding her, or something else along that line.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 07-12-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last couple of episodes had improved, but this once again takes it back down. Jesse seemed to have almost no problem with Arseface being sent to Hell and that felt way, way off for the character. Although, as has been said the TV version of the character is quite the douche, so maybe it does go in character. I don't get why Quincannon doesn't seem to be affected by the Word....or at least it only works temporarily. In the comic it is apparent why some characters are not affected by it, and the introduction to some of them has already begun, but for this one it is not clear.

And once again Negga does nothing but irritate. Some people say she is beautiful....but i seriously don't get that. Ugly, horrible actress and bringing this show down. It still makes me laugh thinking of Harry Knowles comment that by episode 4 everyone would be in love with the character.

I can see its trying to plant seeds in the show for future seasons, but the problem is it all feels very small in comparison to the comic and where that was a slow build to a world wide story with huge spectacle at times i get the feeling this show will always feel small. No armies, no nukes, certainly little in the way of showing Heaven or Hell.
Old 07-12-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't get why Quincannon doesn't seem to be affected by the Word....or at least it only works temporarily. In the comic it is apparent why some characters are not affected by it, and the introduction to some of them has already begun, but for this one it is not clear.
Quincannon could be Satanic or part of a cult and have a different definition of Lord. He was telling Jessie's dad to Renounce him in a flashback.
Old 07-12-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm guessing that Josh is right, that Tracy tries to wrestle the gun out of Arse's hands and ends up shot. I'm also guessing that they're setting up Jesse for a redemption arc, where he begs God for guidance and get's a big fat nothing. Leading him to take God to task for not guiding us.

This show seems like it's taking the least fun possible path getting there though.

Put me down as someone who actually likes Nega, but think that she is miscast for this role. A True Romance Patricia Arquette would have been perfect.
Old 07-12-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This episode was it for me. For all the reasons people have mentioned above (save for Tulip, I don't think she's any worse then the rest of the off-model characters) this show just doesn't seem to be working. I have no idea where Preacher is supposed to be headed, and not in a good it's-keeping-me-guessing kind of way.

As a big fan of the comic back in the day, I attributed my lacklustre response to earlier episodes as me needing time to adjust to the TV differences, but now I feel like Preacher is just a crappy show, regardless of its source.
Old 07-13-16, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cassidy and the Church Mom character are working. Tulip is just kind of there at this point. While I don't think she's hurting the show anymore, it's not the character I expected.
Old 07-13-16, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The last couple of episodes had improved, but this once again takes it back down. Jesse seemed to have almost no problem with Arseface being sent to Hell and that felt way, way off for the character. Although, as has been said the TV version of the character is quite the douche, so maybe it does go in character. I don't get why Quincannon doesn't seem to be affected by the Word....or at least it only works temporarily. In the comic it is apparent why some characters are not affected by it, and the introduction to some of them has already begun, but for this one it is not clear.

And once again Negga does nothing but irritate. Some people say she is beautiful....but i seriously don't get that. Ugly, horrible actress and bringing this show down. It still makes me laugh thinking of Harry Knowles comment that by episode 4 everyone would be in love with the character.

I can see its trying to plant seeds in the show for future seasons, but the problem is it all feels very small in comparison to the comic and where that was a slow build to a world wide story with huge spectacle at times i get the feeling this show will always feel small. No armies, no nukes, certainly little in the way of showing Heaven or Hell.

I'd still bang her. She's cute as hell. Did you see her running - she's got no fat whatsoever - she's fit. She also looks totally different and sounds different in Warcraft.
Old 07-13-16, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having never read the comics, I'm a fan of the show.

Tulip's okay. She's a bit of a one-note character at this point but she's starting show some growth.

Emily's good and Lucy Griffiths plays a convincing church mom in love with the preacher.

I never thought Jessie was the villain of the piece though he can be a bit of a jerk. He's a preacher's son who, when confronted with an unbelievable power, concludes that it must all be part of God's plan. Regardless of what anyone else has told him. So now he's figuring out how to deal with it. Though he's not dealing with it well. At least follow up on the folks you've used the power on to see how things worked out, guy.

My favorite though is Cassidy. What a great character and Joseph Gilgun pulls off the role so well.

The last episode with the angels fight was great and was the point when I bought into the series. It was up in the air for a while and I was staying on for Cassidy and to find out more about the cowboy in the flashbacks but the hilarity with the angels sealed the deal. I'll watch this then I'll read the comic.
Old 07-13-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'd still bang her. She's cute as hell. Did you see her running - she's got no fat whatsoever - she's fit. She also looks totally different and sounds different in Warcraft.
Yeah i saw her running (a chick with some great tatas could have really made that scene better....but Negga has peanut tits). Maybe no fat, but even women with some extra lbs can be sexy as hell. Her face is just so weird and annoying. Some people just have a face that you want to punch immediately upon seeing them. She is in this bunch. I am checking out Warcraft later today, so will see how she is in that.
Old 07-13-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
To me thats not really a plus when it comes tho how attractive a woman is.
Old 07-13-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

forget good writing and acting. How big are dem titties is what I look for when I watch television.
Old 07-13-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-13-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I had to guess, I'd say that the "power" inside him, acting as both good and evil since it was the product of good and evil literally fucking, and is what's pulling him into these darker outbursts, and then sudden swings back into the other direction. All of the characters going "He's not acting like himself" constantly is pretty much hammering that home. And that is what leads to him trying to "give it back" to the two Angels.

I look forward to seeing what Quincannon's definition of "the Lord" is because I wanna see his holy temple & shrine made of hundreds of dead cow parts.
Old 07-13-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
To me thats not really a plus when it comes tho how attractive a woman is.

I do like fit broads, so it doesn't bother me. It would have been less believable having some big breasted chick running and having her tits hit her face every time she ran forward.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 07-13-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lol. Yeah, but with a face like that I would have preferred something else to look at during that scene. I checked out Warcraft and thankfully Negga is hardly in it. She looks the same, except in royal clothing and with her natural accent. Acting still felt wooden and flat what little she was in.
Old 07-14-16, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Never read the comics, but I felt the show finally picked up some steam this episode. The ending made me excited for the next week.