Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

Donna was right, Cameron was acting like a petulant child. Cameron thought she could force everybody's hand and got burned.
Old 09-28-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Mutiny rising on Aug 23, 2016!

Bosworth and Gordon are the glue on this show and probably my favorite characters - they really add quality to pretty much every scene they are in. I was a bit indifferent on Gordon's character in the past but this season has really turned that character around for me.

The scene between Joe and Gordon in Joe's apartment was fantastic, the sarcasm, him finally being a step ahead of Joe and the engineer in him quickly piecing the network stuff together.

The one thing that kind of bothered me was Gordon partnering with him after all they have been through. He probably sees Joe's value pushing things beyond the idea stage and selling it, but given all the baggage and him being toxic in the tech world now, that outcome seemed a bit off. Also the release of the software came across as gimmicky from a plot perspective, and seems like mainly just a way to keep Joe's character involved in the show (hard to have much of a character arc as a silent partner)
Old 09-28-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wirefan
The one thing that kind of bothered me was Gordon partnering with him after all they have been through. He probably sees Joe's value pushing things beyond the idea stage and selling it, but given all the baggage and him being toxic in the tech world now, that outcome seemed a bit off.
I'm more surprised by how much Gordon gave Joe. Gordon negotiates hard with the McMillan people and then gives away 49% to Joe? I think Joe would have taken a lot less than that without complaint.
Old 09-28-16, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Definitely the best episode of the series so far. While I sided with Donna, the director did a great job of showing the betrayal Cameron felt as she left.

Another underrated show that nobody is watching in today's competitive TV landscape.
Old 09-28-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Im watching, one of the best eps of the season.
Old 09-29-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Donna was right, Cameron was acting like a petulant child. Cameron thought she could force everybody's hand and got burned.
Yea, I'm getting really tired of Cameron's over-protection of her "baby".
For the longest time she didn't want to adapt to new technologies, even though she's supposed to be a techie-nerd. And now she wants to keep her grips on this company even though it will wither and die if it doesn't grow. The idea to wait to IPO only after the upgrades feels like a way to buy time. It's gotten to the point where if they don't improve her character, I'd like to see her gone from the show. I can't stand the constant whining.

Originally Posted by randian
I'm more surprised by how much Gordon gave Joe. Gordon negotiates hard with the McMillan people and then gives away 49% to Joe? I think Joe would have taken a lot less than that without complaint.
I thought that was a huge stretch. Partnering up again with Joe again seemed a little hard to swallow... but then giving him 49% when Joe has absolutely no leverage and would easily accept a MUCH smaller amount (he pretty much stated that earlier) really makes no sense.
Old 09-29-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
It's gotten to the point where if they don't improve her character, I'd like to see her gone from the show. I can't stand the constant whining.
In fairness to the creators, they are making her character this way to keep conflict in the show or it will get boring. I understand her character comes off as unlikeable alot of times, but every good show needs opposing views on things. Donna vs Cameron has given us some of the best scenes of the season.

I will defend Cameron on one respect that the reason she acted out like that because Donna lied to her first time so she already lost trust in her. Then Gordon tells her that Donna is going to do an end around and get everyone to overrule her, so you can understand her being defensive.

Just think of yourself in a room like that and feeling strongly towards something, and have everyone go against you. Again, I am not saying I 100% agree with Cam, but I do understand.
Old 09-29-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Easily the best episode we've gotten since season one. A lot of very believable drama and that ending with Joe turning his back on Ryan was brutal.

Ryan is going to get shut out of Joe's new company, leading to its eventual downfall.
Old 09-29-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Ryan is going to get shut out of Joe's new company, leading to its eventual downfall.
Probably, but I don't see how Joe could have kept him on after that stupid stunt.
Old 09-30-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The Cameron vs Donna thing was really contrived, otherwise, good episode.
Old 10-05-16, 11:57 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more ep, 2 hr season finale. Hopefully it isn't the last we've seen of Mutiny, this show and Flash have Tuesday night locked up for me.
Old 10-05-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was another dark turn for the series. Everything unfolded much differently than I expected. While I like everything that has happened this season, Joe does seem like a different character.
Old 10-05-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Was that reflection TV shit thst Gordon has popular at all? And how expensive was it? Because it seems like it really distorts the hell out of the image, despite offering a larger (for the time) screen.
Old 10-06-16, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Was that reflection TV shit thst Gordon has popular at all? And how expensive was it? Because it seems like it really distorts the hell out of the image, despite offering a larger (for the time) screen.

But it's curved, so it's cool!

What was the significance of the beehive? I'm not sure I caught that. I was thinking maybe it was giving Cameron an idea for something like Napster or torrents? Seems too early for that though.
Old 10-06-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I wouldn't say they were popular, more niche for people with the extra bucks. Don't remember what the price was though.

The curve wasn't what bothered me the most about them, it was the forward-slant of the screen. The optimal viewing position for these TVs was very limited. Basically the person who's sitting low enough and directly in front of it got the best picture - it was degraded for everyone else.

Some people have tested them out recently and put up clips on youtube.
Old 10-06-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my uncles had that type of display back in the 80s. It was giant in size compared to other TVs back then. I remember the image being softer than regular cathode TVs.
Old 10-06-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
One of my uncles had that type of display back in the 80s. It was giant in size compared to other TVs back then. I remember the image being softer than regular cathode TVs.
My Aunty who was a Tupperware dealer won one as a prize. Once when I visited their house in Ca on my way to Indiana for Army training. I saw this thing & it looked like crap. As someone said you had to be the person sitting right in front who had the best view.
Old 10-07-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, a rich friend of my Dad's had one of those TVs, and they were kinda cool because of their size, but the room had to be dark to see it properly, and the edges of the image were always washed out.
Old 10-10-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Renewed for fourth and final season. Sounds good to me!

http://deadline.com/2016/10/halt-cat...mc-1201834492/
Old 10-10-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's good to see the show get one more season. I don't think the ratings were ever that great, AMC must really like the show.
Old 10-11-16, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by windom

Wow amazing we got 4 years from this solid little show.

Folks are gonna enjoy this on netflix years from now when they stumble on it...
Old 10-11-16, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom

I'm happy yet surpised they even renewed this after the first season. I guess there is hope that these networks will stick with great shows like this with smaller cult fanbases.
Old 10-12-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh. I wonder if the final season will take them up to present times.
Old 10-12-16, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Interesting, I hadn't heard it was renewed until I came into the thread to post about the finale.

I really hate time jumps in the middle of a season, but I'm wondering if there is another version of this finale on a hard drive somewhere that wraps things up cleaner in case they were canceled? These two episodes were very good, but I feel like we got gypped out of the end of season 3 to flash forward to season 4 just to get closer to the end of the full story.

The jump was jarring, and usually something reserved for season openers or series finales. Still love the shit out of this show, and I'm going to miss these characters when it's done.
Old 10-12-16, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Somehow I keep forgetting to watch it on Tuesday, so it's always a cool surprise each week to have a new episode without expecting it . Glad this show gets to keep going and get a final season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.