DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635029-game-thrones-s6e10-winds-winter-6-26-16-a.html)

spainlinx0 06-27-16 12:22 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

I feel like people are way too into what Tywin said to Tyrion. He's just mad that his wife died during childbirth, and on top of that, she birthed a dwarf.

I don't think he ever seriously questioned that his wife slept with someone else. Not everything characters say have hidden meanings.

fumanstan 06-27-16 12:39 PM

A few variations of this out there, but neat for anyone that is familiar with the game Overwatch.

fujishig 06-27-16 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 12836547)
Robert Baratheon was able to legitimately take the throne because he had an ancestor (one of his grandmothers) who was Targaryen. And Robert's presumed children with Cersei also have this same Targaryen link (officially Robert is considered their father despite the fact that Jaime is, which is dismissed as just ugly rumours).

But Cersei has no Targaryen ancestors (as far as I know), so her assuming the Iron Throne now is the first official break from the Targaryen line of succession.

I don't think they ever explained the Targaryen connection to Robert in the show, just in the books, right?

But might makes right. The Targaryens took over because, well, dragons, until they didn't have them anymore. The rebellion basically slaughtered most of the rightful heirs, and nobody was clamoring to give the throne back to the two kids smuggled across the sea. When Ned brings proof that Robert's kids are not his own, he basically gets ignored and killed. In the Iron Islands, you can basically kill your brother and his heirs as long as you have enough justification.

So I'm not sure who cares that much about succession. Surely Dany isn't still naive enough to think the people will welcome her with open arms, but she has dragons and a force now. The only people who care about these things seem to be people like the Starks and the Tullys who were getting screwed left and right.

I guess it's good for saving face though. "Hey we lost this war but I was giving it some thought and this guy has a legitimate claim to the throne because he's second cousins. That's why we're supporting him now."

Decker 06-27-16 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12836597)
A few variations of this out there, but neat for anyone that is familiar with the game Overwatch.

:lol:

I haven't watched the final After The Thrones of the season, but I'm pretty sure I know "Who Won The Week".

bluetoast 06-27-16 01:05 PM

Jon Snow "won the week" on After the Thrones.

jfoobar 06-27-16 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12836580)
I feel like people are way too into what Tywin said to Tyrion. He's just mad that his wife died during childbirth, and on top of that, she birthed a dwarf.

I don't think he ever seriously questioned that his wife slept with someone else. Not everything characters say have hidden meanings.

Allow me to retort with this exact quote from Tywin:

Originally Posted by Tywin "I Died On the Shitter" Lannister
You are an ill-made, spiteful little creature, full of envy, lust and low cunning. Men's laws give you the right to bear my name and display my colors, since I cannot prove that you are not mine.

That's a very strong statement to make and basically is admitting that there is a possibility that his wife cuckolding him. I cannot imagine someone like Tywin making that sort of admission simply in jest. You also seem to be ignoring how many times already on the show that a single line of dialogue has proven to be deliberately placed foreshadowing. There is substantial precedent here. It would also explain the degree of animosity that Tywin showed his son, which does seem quite excessive even considering his dwarfiness and the fact that his wife died during delivery.

I'd say that the odds of Tyrion's actual provenance not being what was originally advertised as being quite high, perhaps even nearly certain.

windom 06-27-16 01:21 PM

How would it be possible for Rhaegar and Lyanna to have been married (as I've seen theorized here)? Rhaegar was already married.

dhmac 06-27-16 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12836601)
I don't think they ever explained the Targaryen connection to Robert in the show, just in the books, right?

Yeah, I don't think it was ever mentioned on the show, but it is mentioned in the bonus features in at least one of the DVD and Blu-ray boxed set in the "History and Lore" animated videos (as I recall, one narrated by Robert Baratheon mentions that this ancestral Targaryen connection legitimized his claim to the throne).

For example, this one mentions it:

spainlinx0 06-27-16 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12836629)
Allow me to retort with this exact quote from Tywin:

That's a very strong statement to make and basically is admitting that there is a possibility that his wife cuckolding him. I cannot imagine someone like Tywin making that sort of admission simply in jest. You also seem to be ignoring how many times already on the show that a single line of dialogue has proven to be deliberately placed foreshadowing. There is substantial precedent here. It would also explain the degree of animosity that Tywin showed his son, which does seem quite excessive even considering his dwarfiness and the fact that his wife died during delivery.

I'd say that the odds of Tyrion's actual provenance not being what was originally advertised as being quite high, perhaps even nearly certain.

I guess I just disagree. I don't think the words are that out of order when describing a child that he has resented since birth due to the delivery and disability.

If he really thought he wasn't his, I wouldn't put it past him to kill him at birth. I also don't think he could have brought himself to make Tyrion hand of the king in his absence.

I could be wrong about this, but I do not think that Tyrion is also a Targaryen.

LurkerDan 06-27-16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12836649)
I guess I just disagree. I don't think the words are that out of order when describing a child that he has resented since birth due to the delivery and disability.

If he really thought he wasn't his, I wouldn't put it past him to kill him at birth. I also don't think he could have brought himself to make Tyrion hand of the king in his absence.

I could be wrong about this, but I do not think that Tyrion is also a Targaryen.

jfoobar's point is well taken, what seem like throwaway lines often later turn out not to be the case. But I tend to agree with spainlinx, I view it as a line intended to be hurtful and not truthful.

But we'll find out!

JasonF 06-27-16 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836367)
Queen of Thorns

This, more or less, is what I expect to happen. I don't think Jon and Dany's forces will ever fight though. She'll threaten to crush them if they don't "bend the knee" and recognize her as ruler of Westeros. Jon is not interested in a fight with her, tells her about the White Walkers and that is who they need to face together.

t's worth noting that when the Targaryens conquered Westeros 300 years before the events of the show, they never conquered the North -- the Starks were the one great House to bend the knee and swear allegiance to them rather than be conquered.

mwbmis 06-27-16 02:39 PM

Depending how things play out next year between Sansa and Jon, I think the relationships that Tyrion developed in earlier seasons with either or both of them will likely assuage any tensions before things get violent.

In the end, Jon and Dany will almost certainly have to work together. They've been the archetype male and female coming into their own lead characters since the first episode.

DaveyJoe 06-27-16 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12836180)
I need to stop reading this thread until the show has aired. This is the second week in a row a DVDTalker has predicted with near-perfect accuracy.

Each year the show is leaked on GoT fan forums. From production leaks, sometimes people manage to watch the entire episode before it airs. I'm not saying that's what happened here... but if you want to be surprised it would be wise o avoid fan discussions until you watch the episode. Everything in that post was leaked not only before this week, but while the season was still shooting.

Decker 06-27-16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12836617)
Jon Snow "won the week" on After the Thrones.

I demand a recount!

slop101 06-27-16 03:04 PM

BTW, before the reveal, I was all "Damn! That meat-pie looks delicious - gotta find a recipe soon."

Then, after he lifts up the crust, I'm like. "eh. maybe not."

Why So Blu? 06-27-16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836441)
No "real" incest? Jon and Sansa are 1st cousins. Sounds like incest to me.

Nothin' says lovin' like marryin' your cousin.

davidh777 06-27-16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12836746)
BTW, before the reveal, I was all "Damn! That meat-pie looks delicious - gotta find a recipe soon."

Then, after he lifts up the crust, I'm like. "eh. maybe not."

:lol:

WCChiCubsFan 06-27-16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12836748)
Nothin' says lovin' like marryin' your cousin.

Damn, now we know where GoT really takes place.

Kentucky

buckeyes8604 06-27-16 03:12 PM

There's a recipe for a GOT style meat pie in this book: https://www.amazon.com/Feast-Ice-Fir.../dp/0345534492

I've made it a couple times and it is excellent.

jfoobar 06-27-16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12836649)
If he really thought he wasn't his, I wouldn't put it past him to kill him at birth.

Which is why he also said:

Originally Posted by Tywin
The day that you were born. I wanted to carry you into the sea and let the waves wash you away.

Again, maybe just being hateful, but probably not.

It is but one possibility. I am, however, pretty certain that either Tyrion or Jaime/Cersei are not Tywin's natural children.

JasonF 06-27-16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12836636)
How would it be possible for Rhaegar and Lyanna to have been married (as I've seen theorized here)? Rhaegar was already married.

The Targaryens weren't big on monogamy, and many of the Targaryen kings had two wives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family...ouse_Targaryen

Bill Needle 06-27-16 03:17 PM

I think there may be a little over-thinking on this. I see it merely as a part of Tywin's massive ego. He simply has a difficult time accepting that something so deformed could have come from his loins and killed his wife on the way out. This is simply his go-to when trying to berate and humiliate Tyrion.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 03:20 PM

Trot out "Finger lickin' good" pun...here.

windom 06-27-16 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12836757)
The Targaryens weren't big on monogamy, and many of the Targaryen kings had two wives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family...ouse_Targaryen

OK, if Rhaegar and Lyanna were "married" while he was still married to someone else, would that make Jon Snow a legitimate heir under the laws of the kingdom? Could he even legally have two wives? I'm having trouble understanding how some people seem to think that Jon Snow could actually be a legitimate heir and next in line for the throne.

GatorDeb 06-27-16 03:26 PM

Why would Robert kill Jon? The child didn't do anything, and Jon's father is dead anyway. Is it so that he (Robert) can be king? He'd kill his dead bethroted's son for the throne?