DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635029-game-thrones-s6e10-winds-winter-6-26-16-a.html)

Decker 06-27-16 10:11 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836450)
Howland Reed probably knows, Ned's closest friend who was at the Tower of Joy and stabbed Ser Arthur Dayne in the back. He's still alive in the show.

Good point!

I'm confused by why Cersie had Maester Pycell killed. I assume that he could have been an impediment to her Ascension to the throne, but if that's the case, then Cersie would have had to have assumed and hoped that
Tommen would kill himself. That doesn't sound like her. Also, how much candy do you have to give little orphans to get them to stab and old man to death?

Sorraffy 06-27-16 10:14 AM

Green Trial > Red Wedding

*Wonder who Melisandre hooks up with next? Team Targaryen/Lannister/Greyjoy/Tyrell/Dorne maybe?

slop101 06-27-16 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836441)
No "real" incest? Jon and Sansa are 1st cousins. Sounds like incest to me.

You're obviously not from Alabama.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 10:18 AM

To those wondering about a Margaery plan and what the paper rose meant, I think it was just as simple as a sign to the Queen of Thorns that Margaery was still in her right mind and had a handle on things so she could depart to safety. Margaery's plan was simply an understanding with the High Sparrow that she would play along and be a good queen by providing an heir to Tommen, for which Loras would be free to go. Whether she had a longer game in mind is anyone's guess, but I think that was the gist of it. She was trading her playing nice for her brother's freedom.

spainlinx0 06-27-16 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12836455)
Good point!

I'm confused by why Cersie had Maester Pycell killed. I assume that he could have been an impediment to her Ascension to the throne, but if that's the case, then Cersie would have had to have assumed and hoped that
Tommen would kill himself. That doesn't sound like her. Also, how much candy do you have to give little orphans to get them to stab and old man to death?

He hasn't been as loyal to her as Qyburn. I think she wanted to open up a seat on the council for Qyburn, and this was the cleanest way of doing it.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12836464)
He hasn't been as loyal to her as Qyburn. I think she wanted to open up a seat on the council for Qyburn, and this was the cleanest way of doing it.

Speaking of, the small council has likely not been smaller. Cersei, Qyburn, perhaps Jamie? Who else of significance is still alive in King's Landing? The Mountain? :lol:

dvdjunkie32 06-27-16 10:31 AM

I just realized that this season pretty much completely ignored Jorah Mormont. He had like only one scene early on, and all we know is that he is out there looking for a cure. Kinda surprising since he was featured in the season trailer.

bluetoast 06-27-16 10:33 AM

It was pretty much a given that after he was asked to look for a cure, that we wouldn't see him again for that season.

Decker 06-27-16 10:48 AM

I'm pretty sure Kevan's spot is available now.

Thrush 06-27-16 10:50 AM

I think even more than that she was cleaning house and getting rid of everyone who isnt on her side.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12836471)
Speaking of, the small council has likely not been smaller. Cersei, Qyburn, perhaps Jamie? Who else of significance is still alive in King's Landing? The Mountain? :lol:

Technically the king/queen isnt part of the small council. But I would think Cersei would likely take a more hands on approach. If the small council would even still exist.

majorjoe23 06-27-16 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12836368)
Cersei. I don't Joffrey even knew that his lineage truly was, did he?

You're probably right. I read something this week about Joffrey being the one who gave the order, and was a little surprised and assumed I had remembered wrong.

jfoobar 06-27-16 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12836499)
You're probably right. I read something this week about Joffrey being the one who gave the order, and was a little surprised and assumed I had remembered wrong.

I think you may be confusing things. Joffrey gave the order to have Bran murdered in his bed, which was a bit of a plot twist since I think most readers assumed that either Jaime or Cersei ordered him finished off. AFAIK, Joffrey had nothing to do with having Robert's bastards murdered.

jfoobar 06-27-16 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Neitzl (Post 12836402)
re: the mystery and no throw away lines.

Spoiler:
Remember Tywin telling Tyrion "You are no son of mine". Hmmmmmmm

Also:

Spoiler:
Tywin also said something to the effect of "since I could not prove you were not my son, I took you in and raised you as my own."

mwbmis 06-27-16 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12836507)
I think you may be confusing things. Joffrey gave the order to have Bran murdered in his bed, which was a bit of a plot twist since I think most readers assumed that either Jaime or Cersei ordered him finished off. AFAIK, Joffrey had nothing to do with having Robert's bastards murdered.

That was only in the book. The show never solved that mystery.

jfoobar 06-27-16 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 (Post 12836481)
I just realized that this season pretty much completely ignored Jorah Mormont. He had like only one scene early on, and all we know is that he is out there looking for a cure. Kinda surprising since he was featured in the season trailer.

He had more than that. He and Daario had pretty substantial screen time in episodes 1 and 4 as they were hunting down and ultimately assisting with the "rescue" of Dany from Vaes Dothrak. He had the scene you described in episode 5 and did not appear after that.

jfoobar 06-27-16 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12836511)
That was only in the book. The show never solved that mystery.

Yeah, my recollection also. It is just too easy to get the books and the show confused in my head. Tyrion figures out the mystery...what...right before Joffrey's death?

B.A. 06-27-16 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Neitzl (Post 12836402)
re: the mystery and no throw away lines.

Spoiler:
Remember Tywin telling Tyrion "You are no son of mine". Hmmmmmmm

Exactly.

dhmac 06-27-16 11:09 AM

One thing that I find a major head-scratcher is why didn't Jon ask Melisandre to bring Rickon back to life before sending her off? Rickon's body was just as intact as Jon's was when he was brought back.

Even a scene in which Melisandre tried and failed to bring Rickon back (and then just chalked the failure up to the Lord of Light not needing him for some important role) would've made more sense than the topic not even being broached.

(The same goes for Wun Wun - he's the last of his kind, so why not try to bring him back?)

Timber 06-27-16 11:17 AM

Why does the Targaryen succession order matter at this point? They have no claim on the throne anymore. They were overthrown and if another one takes the throne it will be a new line right?

fujishig 06-27-16 11:17 AM

Aren't the Lannisters (and the crown) out of money? With Tyrell gone doesn't that mean trouble?

Doesn't Tyrion play a game with his girlfriend a few seasons ago where he feels the heat of a candle or something? I have no idea if that's actually in the books though.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 12836529)
Why does the Targaryen succession order matter at this point? They have no claim on the throne anymore. They were overthrown and if another one takes the throne it will be a new line right?

Daenary's entire campaign is a result of her seeing herself as the rightful ruler based on succession. Jon Snow besting her claim by her very own standards would be interesting.

dhmac 06-27-16 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 12836529)

Robert Baratheon was able to legitimately take the throne because he had an ancestor (one of his grandmothers) who was Targaryen. And Robert's presumed children with Cersei also have this same Targaryen link (officially Robert is considered their father despite the fact that Jaime is, which is dismissed as just ugly rumours).

But Cersei has no Targaryen ancestors (as far as I know), so her assuming the Iron Throne now is the first official break from the Targaryen line of succession.

Osiris3657 06-27-16 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 12836519)
One thing that I find a major head-scratcher is why didn't Jon ask Melisandre to bring Rickon back to life before sending her off? Rickon's body was just as intact as Jon's was when he was brought back.

Even a scene in which Melisandre tried and failed to bring Rickon back (and then just chalked the failure up to the Lord of Light not needing him for some important role) would've made more sense than the topic not even being broached.

(The same goes for Wun Wun - he's the last of his kind, so why not try to bring him back?)

Just because Wun Wun was the only giant fighting at Winterfell doesn't mean he's the last giant in the entire world. Never been said that he's the "last of his kind"

Timber 06-27-16 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 12836547)
Robert Baratheon was able to legitimately take the throne because he had an ancestor (one of his grandmothers) who was Targaryen. And Robert's presumed children with Cersei also have this same Targaryen link (officially Robert is considered their father despite the fact that Jaime is, which is dismissed as just ugly rumours).

I did not know that. Thank you, makes more sense now.

Maz Kanata 06-27-16 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12836530)
Aren't the Lannisters (and the crown) out of money? With Tyrell gone doesn't that mean trouble?

King's Landing will starve as well without their food. Basically Cersei is alone and fucked.

Doesn't Tyrion play a game with his girlfriend a few seasons ago where he feels the heat of a candle or something?
Yep, in season 1. Shae withstands the pain ftom the flame far better than Tyrion.