TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S1E20) -- Season Finale -- "Better Angels" -- 4/18/16

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S1E20) -- Season Finale -- "Better Angels" -- 4/18/16

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Flockhart's reduced schedule is official. Damn. Too bad. That relationship was the element of the show working the best by the end of the year.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/01/calista...ing-cat-grant/
Could be a good thing. Kara and Kat had some good interactions over the year, but sometimes they were relegated to bitchy office demands. If Calista can swing 4-8 appearances a year I think it will be good. Think daddy Allen from Flash.
Old 08-02-16, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

If they can get Calista to play Cat for say 10 of the 22 episodes, then I think that should be fine. Cat also works as a recurring character.

Shooting around 10 episodes over 8-9 months isn't an outrageous request. It's not like Calista has to fly to London or Bangkok. Vancouver is about a 2 hr, 45 minute flight from LA.

The rest of the core cast like Melissa has to move there for the 8-9 months of filming.
Old 08-08-16, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Nice. I'm intrigued.
Old 08-08-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Reminder for those of us who missed S1...CW starts airing S1 in 2 back to back eps starting tonight and then every Monday til the new season starts. 8.8.16
Old 08-08-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Reminder for those of us who missed S1...CW starts airing S1 in 2 back to back eps starting tonight and then every Monday til the new season starts. 8.8.16
New season starts October 10th. They started the re-airs last week actually.
Old 08-08-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'd like to just state how excited I am for a TV show to go "fuck it" and show Superman. Though it wasn't a problem on Lois and Clark, Smallville set this ridiculous idea that you can't actually show Superman on the small screen. And Supergirl took that idea and ran with it - like he's some kind of sacred image that only belongs at a movie theater.

I realize that makes things a tiny bit more complicated from a writing standpoint (because Superman could always swoop in and save everyone) but the comics manage to have superheroes who have their own battles with him around so the show should be able to do it too.
Old 08-08-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
I'd like to just state how excited I am for a TV show to go "fuck it" and show Superman. Though it wasn't a problem on Lois and Clark, Smallville set this ridiculous idea that you can't actually show Superman on the small screen. And Supergirl took that idea and ran with it - like he's some kind of sacred image that only belongs at a movie theater.

I realize that makes things a tiny bit more complicated from a writing standpoint (because Superman could always swoop in and save everyone) but the comics manage to have superheroes who have their own battles with him around so the show should be able to do it too.

...so can Supergirl
Old 08-08-16, 01:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

That new picture of Superman isn't half bad and much better than the first incarnation...
Old 08-08-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
New season starts October 10th. They started the re-airs last week actually.
Shit. God dammit. I've been checking their app on xbox and I guess it's not airing on there? Fuck...sigh... Thanks.
Old 08-08-16, 01:05 PM
Banned

...so can Supergirl
Main difference between Superman and Supergirl is experience. I'm sure Superman will just play a mentor role here and not do a lot of hands on (unless something big comes up). Be interesting to see a J'onn/Supergirl/Superman teamup tho.

Also, does this mean that Superman (and MM) is officially part of the CW/Arrowverse? What will happen during the eventual crossover?
Old 08-08-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Shit. God dammit. I've been checking their app on xbox and I guess it's not airing on there? Fuck...sigh... Thanks.
The pilot and episode 2 are both on the CW app. Just checked just now.
Old 08-08-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Main difference between Superman and Supergirl is experience. I'm sure Superman will just play a mentor role here and not do a lot of hands on (unless something big comes up). Be interesting to see a J'onn/Supergirl/Superman teamup tho.
This is wrong analysis from a historical standpoint. For decades, Superman has been treated in DC Comics as special even by Kryptonian standards. He's the Michael Jordan of Krypton, a specimen blessed with preternatural athletic ability beyond mere mortals.

Not all Kryptonians are created equal under a yellow sun, which is how they usually explain why Superman has defeated entire teams of other Kryptonians. It will take a serious revisionist interpretation to make Supergirl as powerful as her cousin.
Old 08-08-16, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is wrong analysis from a historical standpoint. For decades, Superman has been treated in DC Comics as special even by Kryptonian standards. He's the Michael Jordan of Krypton, a specimen blessed with preternatural athletic ability beyond mere mortals.

Not all Kryptonians are created equal under a yellow sun, which is how they usually explain why Superman has defeated entire teams of other Kryptonians. It will take a serious revisionist interpretation to make Supergirl as powerful as her cousin.
Yes I realize that (I know you know that I'm a long time DC guy) but I'm talking about in relation to the TV show. There seems to be a concerted effort to make Supergirl as powerful as Superman (she is the star of the show after all) with 10yrs of experience being the main difference. "Girl Power" and all that.

Be nice to see other super-powered women show up, especially someone like Power Girl (but she's probably too similar to Kara).
Old 08-08-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
The pilot and episode 2 are both on the CW app. Just checked just now.
Thanks. I'll check it tonight...if they don't ditch them post ep 3 and 4 airing.
Old 08-08-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

...so can Supergirl
I agree - but it's the same issue Marvel deals with when Iron Man is fighting the Mandarin by himself when The Hulk or Thor could just jump in and beat the guy down.
Old 08-08-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

Wasn't part of the problem with Smallville, rights? Superboy vs Superman and different rights holders? Pretty sure that's why its not streaming anywhere currently.
Old 08-08-16, 07:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wasn't part of the problem with Smallville, rights? Superboy vs Superman and different rights holders? Pretty sure that's why its not streaming anywhere currently.
You can buy it on Vudu, I believe. I think I bought the series finale.
Old 08-08-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

You can buy them digitally, I meant as part of a streaming service, i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc.

There were a couple an ongoing lawsuits recently. One was from Millar and Gough about profits and creative "Hollywood accounting." The other was over the rights to Superboy. Apparently both lawsuits were settled in 2013. I'm just curious if one or both were what was holding up the show from appearing on the streaming services.

Although after googling, it looks like Hulu purchased exclusivity with a suite of WB shows to debut later this year.
Old 08-08-16, 10:54 PM
Banned

Ironically in Smallville, Kara had access to her full powers where Clark did not. I never understood the reasoning behind that.

Smallville was on HDNet regularly for a few years. If Hulu picks it up it will be kind of a crappy presentation. One of these years Hulu will go full 1080p/5.1. Most TV shows are full 1080p/5.1 now, the logic behind staying 720p, the logic behind staying 720p/2.0 has long passed, especially since they carry a lot of movies as well.
Old 08-08-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Spoiler? Just in case.

Spoiler:

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s… all of the DC heroes from the CW line-up together.

Sunday, Stephen Amell gave fans a first glimpse of the four-way DC crossover — that’s Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl — coming to the CW later this year. The photo, featuring the boots of DC TV’s heavy-hitters was presumably part of a special photoshoot promoting the series’ fall premieres.

In the behind the scenes pic, Amell’s Green Arrow hangs out on set with Grant Gustin (The Flash), Melissa Benoist (Supergirl), Caity Lotz (White Canary, Legends of Tomorrow), and Brandon Routh, (Atom, Legends of Tomorrow). Amell captioned the photo, below, simply with “Coming soon.”

The crossover event, slated for November, will find all of the CW’s DC heroes joining forces to take down “one unifying threat,” per DC TV mega-producer Greg Berlanti. While these shows are no strangers to crossovers – Arrow and The Flash cross-pollinate often and spent last fall setting up their joint spin-off Legends of Tomorrow – but this is certainly the most ambitious. Last spring, Gustin guest starred on Supergirl, which moved from CBS to the CW to set the stage for this titanic event.

Before teaming up all of the CW’s heroes later in the fall, Amell is confirmed to appear in the first episode of Legends of Tomorrow’s second season. And thanks to Supergirl moving its production to Vancouver, where the CW’s other three superhero shows shoot, Amell bumped into the Man of Steel himself, Tyler Hoechlin, who will guest star as Superman in Supergirl’s sophomore season.

All four shows return to the CW this fall. The Flash premieres Tuesday, Oct. 4; Arrow returns Wednesday, Oct. 5, Supergirl makes its CW debut on Monday, Oct. 10., and Legends of Tomorrow returns Thursday, Oct. 13.

Originally Posted by antspawn
Finally DC woke up and made a Mexican Superman! Kudos!