Reload this Page >

Dice (Showtime) -- S: Andrew "Dice" Clay -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-10-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

In this scripted, semi-autobiographical half-hour comedy created by Scot Armstrong (Old School, The Hangover Part II), DICE chronicles life in the Vegas suburbs, as Andrew Dice Clay tries to live his life while trapped in the skin of "The Diceman." Whether he's attempting to pay back his gambling debts, managing his sons' heavy metal band or fending off pumped up fans, this series shines a light on the sides of Dice we've never seen before. Yet all the while, he dons his trademark black leather jacket and fingerless gloves, ready for a comeback. DICE also stars Kevin Corrigan with guest stars Natasha Leggero, Lorraine Bracco, Adrien Brody, Michael Rapaport, Wayne Newton, Criss Angel and Rita Rudner. The series executive producers are Armstrong, Sean Furst, Bryan Furst, Andrew Dice Clay, Bruce Rubenstein, Brian Gatewood and Alessandro Tanaka. DICE is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios. For more information about DICE, visit SHO.com, follow on Twitter and Facebook, and join the conversation using #SHODice.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Andrew "Dice" Clay
Kevin Corrigan

CREW INFORMATION:
Alessandro Tanaka as EP
Andrew "Dice" Clay as EP
Brian Gatewood as EP
Bruce Rubenstein as EP
Bryan Furst as EP
Scot Armstrong as CRTR/EP
Sean Furst as EP

GENRE(S):
comedy (all)
comedy (single-camera)

STUDIO INFORMATION:
Fox 21

6 episode season. This is a scripted series.

Old 04-10-16, 01:41 PM

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
re: Dice (Showtime) -- S: Andrew "Dice" Clay -- Series Thread

Looks like all 6 episodes are up On Demand.
Old 04-10-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Cool, thanks. Now I can fly through these and cancel Showtime tomorrow.
Old 04-10-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is short since Portlandia is gone and Girls will be in 2 weeks and need a comedy series to replace them.

He did standup on Fallon last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVs6DzQ-SYg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zVs6DzQ-SYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-10-16, 07:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
That is short since Portlandia is gone and Girls will be in 2 weeks and need a comedy series to replace them.

He did standup on Fallon last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVs6DzQ-SYg

<iframe-disabled width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zVs6DzQ-SYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled>
thought he Fallon stint was dreadful. hope this isn't as i like him as an actor...
Old 04-10-16, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait for the show. He can't do standup without cussing, shouldn't have bothered trying on Fallon.
Old 04-10-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great first episode. Wasn't too over the top. Just an older Dice getting himself into shit like Curb your enthusiasm.
Old 04-11-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Great first episode. Wasn't too over the top. Just an older Dice getting himself into shit like Curb your enthusiasm.
Agreed. It was a good balance of Dice and not-so-Dice. Liked it more than I expected to.
Old 04-11-16, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed it as well. I still wish they would have kept him on the show Vinyl for quite a while. He was very good on that in a limited role.
Old 04-11-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
When I go to the Showtime On Demand on my DirecTV it only has the 1st episode.

Are you talking about some Showtime app that has all of them on demand?
Old 04-11-16, 08:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i saw the first 2 eps. they were ok. i was expecting more subtle Dice, instead this is in your face Dice. it wasn't been, but not revelatory...
Old 04-12-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first episode was OK, but with me trying to reduce the number of shows I watch, I'm not sure I'll add a series pass to my DVR.
Old 04-12-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figured I'd be in for the whole season since it's only 6 episodes, but after watching the pilot I'll pass. Dice is no Larry David.
Old 04-12-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always liked Kevin Corrigan and he is an underrated actor.

The episode next week with Adrian Brody should have been the premiere.
Old 04-12-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, Adrien Brody acting as Dice was so fucking funny. Such an odd choice, but he's such a good actor he easily pulled it off.
Old 04-13-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never been a fan of Dice. I watched his recent appearance on Fallon and it was cringe worthy. I know he is one of those comedians that always says that its a "character" and thats its not the real him, but in this case there is no character. Its all him. Regardless of whether he is racist, sexist or whatever he just always came across as brash and obnoxious. He truly believes his own hype. I heard him a lot on the Stern show and he would always claim to be making millions from small venue shows. And any failure was always due to the other guy and never himself. His jokes are awful and whilst i can appreciate the shock value some jokes have, his just come from the gutter and stay there. Someone recently posted a thread here about whether a good comedian needs to be intelligent. Well i think they do, and if they don't have intelligence then they should have a good amount of common sense and a barometer for the current field of what works in comedy. This guy is stuck with the same shtick from 30 years ago....and it was unfunny then. Hickory Dickory Dock.....no one fucking cares Dice.

On a side note, the last wife of Dice Clays was smoking hot. Not sure what she saw in a fat, balding has been with no money. Guess thats why she split from him.
Old 04-13-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I have never been a fan of Dice. I watched his recent appearance on Fallon and it was cringe worthy. I know he is one of those comedians that always says that its a "character" and thats its not the real him, but in this case there is no character. Its all him. Regardless of whether he is racist, sexist or whatever he just always came across as brash and obnoxious. He truly believes his own hype. I heard him a lot on the Stern show and he would always claim to be making millions from small venue shows. And any failure was always due to the other guy and never himself. His jokes are awful and whilst i can appreciate the shock value some jokes have, his just come from the gutter and stay there. Someone recently posted a thread here about whether a good comedian needs to be intelligent. Well i think they do, and if they don't have intelligence then they should have a good amount of common sense and a barometer for the current field of what works in comedy. This guy is stuck with the same shtick from 30 years ago....and it was unfunny then. Hickory Dickory Dock.....no one fucking cares Dice.

On a side note, the last wife of Dice Clays was smoking hot. Not sure what she saw in a fat, balding has been with no money. Guess thats why she split from him.
So did you watch the episode?
Old 04-13-16, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
i figured i'd be in for the whole season since it's only 6 episodes, but after watching the pilot i'll pass. Dice is no larry david.
+1
Old 04-13-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post

I don't think he does those type of jokes anymore and he did do jokes on Batman vs Superman which is something current in pop culture.

I agree he is not Louis CK or Larry David where he continues to adapt and modify his material or if he had the chops write scripts or jokes for other comedians.

If he was he probably would not have had a slump or saw his career go down into the toilet.
Old 04-14-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That set on Fallon though was soooooooooooooo bad. I am positive they added a laugh track for a lot of it as it sounded fake. Just not funny at all. Sure the whole Batman Superman thing is current, but it was just not funny. And amazing that he still thinks that thing with lighting the cigarette is cool and hilarious.

This guy was lucky to have a career to begin with. He's like that guy Orny Adams who was in the Seinfeld Comedian Documentary. The ego is huge and they believe their own hype.
Old 04-14-16, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As much as I loved Dice in the late 80's (I was in high school at the time so I was his main demographic), he has always been an overrated one note comic. Putting the cigarette in his mouth and then saying, "Hickory, Dickory, Dock....." I'm still suprised HOW big he became around 1989-90, but alot of dumb High School kids like me enjoyed anything that was edgy and vulgar.

I tried to watch the first episode but couldn't get through it as maybe its purposely supposed to be bad? I still haven't looked at him the same since he burst out crying on Arsenio (I watched it live that night) and pretty much ruined his career.
Old 04-14-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I tried to watch the first episode but couldn't get through it as maybe its purposely supposed to be bad? I still haven't looked at him the same since he burst out crying on Arsenio (I watched it live that night) and pretty much ruined his career.
Never saw that, but found it on the tube. I get where he is coming from. When he blew up, it was quick. And he got so much shit for his material. A sign of the times really. I assume the movie he is talking about if Ford Fairlane.

Old 04-15-16, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Never saw that, but found it on the tube. I get where he is coming from. When he blew up, it was quick. And he got so much shit for his material. A sign of the times really. I assume the movie he is talking about if Ford Fairlane.
I do remember at the time the critics had their knives ready to take down Dice, and that Arsenio Hall appearance along with the reviews for Ford Fairlane pretty much ruined his career.

I actually thought the reviews were a bit harsh on Ford Fairlane as it wasn't that bad of a movie. They were reviewing it like it was supposed to be The Godfather or something, when it was meant to be a dumb guilty pleasure movie.

Dice went on Stern the year after his Arsenio Hall appearance and pretty much said that Arsenio set him up and used him for that appearance. He would call him, "Ass-Kissio Hall."
Old 05-02-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shit, this show is really good. Enjoyed every episode so far.
Old 05-03-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Shit, this show is really good. Enjoyed every episode so far.
I have enjoyed it, but I'm biased because I've been a fan of Dice since the late 1980s.

I'm not sure it's getting ratings, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.