Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Grease: Live! (FOX) -- 1/31/16

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-31-16, 03:47 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

FOX enrolls at Rydell High with GREASE: LIVE, a LIVE one-night musical production of the massively popular crossover musical “Grease.”

GREASE: LIVE stars Julianne Hough (“Safe Haven,” “Rock of Ages”) as the angelic “Sandy” – Rydell High’s most talked-about newcomer – and Aaron Tveit (“Graceland,” “Les Miserables”) as bad boy “Danny Zuko,” Also tapped to star are Vanessa Hudgens (Broadway’s “Gigi,” “Spring Breakers”) as iconic bad girl “Rizzo,” Keke Palmer (SCREAM QUEENS, “Masters of Sex”) as the sassy Pink Lady “Marty Maraschino” and Carlos PenaVega (“Big Time Rush”) as “Kenickie,” Danny’s tough-guy sidekick.

Featuring a young ensemble cast, GREASE: LIVE will reintroduce and reimagine some of the show’s most memorable moments, great music and timeless love story to an entirely new generation. In this live television adaptation of the musical classic, the beginning of senior year means the end of Danny and Sandy's summer romance – until Sandy unexpectedly transfers to Danny’s high school. Can Danny maintain his bad-boy image as the coolest member of the T-Birds, once he and Sandy start going together, and can Sandy remain a good girl after she joins the Pink Ladies? With their friends Rizzo and Kenickie pulling them in different directions, it’s up to Danny and Sandy to stay hopelessly devoted as they make their way from Rydell High to a new frontier.

GREASE: LIVE is based on the original 1971 musical “Grease,” by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey; and Paramount Pictures’ 1978 feature adaptation. The film, starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, grossed nearly $400 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing movie musical ever. GREASE: LIVE will be a Paramount Television production.
GREASE: LIVE is produced by Paramount Television. Acclaimed film, television and theater producer Marc Platt (“Wicked,” “Into the Woods”) will executive-produce, Tony Award-nominated director Thomas Kail (“Hamilton,” “In the Heights”) is the director overseeing the stage direction and Alex Rudzinski (“Dancing with the Stars”) will serve as the live television director. Broadway writers Robert Cary (“Anything but Love,” “Ira & Abby”) and Jonathan Tolins (“Buyer & Cellar,” “The Last Sunday in June”) will write the LIVE television adaptation.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
Aaron Tveit as Danny Zuko
Ana Gasteyer as Principal McGee
Carlos PenaVega as Kenickie
Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchy
David Del Rio as Putzie
Elle McLemore as Patty Simcox
Eve Plumb as Mrs. Murdock
Julianne Hough as Sandy
Keke Palmer as Marty Maraschino
Kether Donohue as Jan
Mario Lopez as Vince Fontaine
Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo
Wendell Pierce as Coach Calhoun

CREW INFORMATION:
Alex Rudzinski as DIR
Jonathan Tolins as WRTR
Marc Platt as EP
Robert Cary as WRTR
Thomas Kail as DIR
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QdS_yNe02vg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6utokZTAwxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-31-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Grease: Live! (FOX) -- 1/31/16

This'll probably be pretty good, but I sure don't get the craze behind live musicals on TV. The "live" part is just a gimmick and really not necessary, but oh well.
Old 01-31-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
This'll probably be pretty good, but I sure don't get the craze behind live musicals on TV. The "live" part is just a gimmick and really not necessary, but oh well.
and , of course, Fox is pitching the fact that they have indoor and outdoor sets and it'll be a go "rain or shine". I agree, it's just hype. I know there's one coming up that will be pre-recorded, I'm just not sure which. I haven't watched the others (but for a scene or two) but this one I'm looking forward to.

I'll be curious as to how they'll handle some of the language. Years ago my sister was bragging that her 6-7 grandson could sing the song "Greased Lightnin'" and do the dance. I asked if her if she'd actually paid attention to the lyrics, and she got huffy with me. I explained (and she didn't realize) that the song (at least the version in the film) uses the terms "Getting lots of tit", "chicks'll cream" and "a real pussy wagon". The original musical was a bit rougher than the film.
Old 01-31-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Vanessa Hudgens dad passed away last night. She will still do the show and will dedicate her performance to him
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/31...ctions-support
Old 01-31-16, 06:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

sad.
Old 01-31-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, the guy playing Danny really sucks.
Old 01-31-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Can't watch this live, thanks to the Uverse/FOX dispute. Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-16, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird to see Jan Brady again.
Old 01-31-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I'll be curious as to how they'll handle some of the language. Years ago my sister was bragging that her 6-7 grandson could sing the song "Greased Lightnin'" and do the dance. I asked if her if she'd actually paid attention to the lyrics, and she got huffy with me. I explained (and she didn't realize) that the song (at least the version in the film) uses the terms "Getting lots of tit", "chicks'll cream" and "a real pussy wagon". The original musical was a bit rougher than the film.
"Have you ever seen a dragon?"
Old 01-31-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tuned in late, but this looked awful. Well, except for Julianne in those black pants
Old 01-31-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quite a diverse student body for the time period.

Little-known fact: Grease is based on Taft High School in Chicago... just a few blocks away from me.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ase-jim-jacobs

http://www.nwitimes.com/entertainmen...37918bb3d.html
Old 01-31-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This is better than the nbc live shows.

The live audience helps.
Old 01-31-16, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Wow, the guy playing Danny really sucks.
sucked is a strong word, but yeah.. he was pretty much was a disappointment

Julianne Hough though in my opinion was great, as well as Vanessa Hudgens

and yes, the audience aspect helped tremendously, notably at the end.
Old 01-31-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I liked it. I thought it was quite an impressive production. Did anyone lose audio for about 30 seconds during the dance contest scene? I didn't know if it was nationwide or just my fox affiliate which doesn't do a good job with their air control quality. Edited to add. I didn't like the guy who played Danny. Was it just me or did he seem quite older than everyone else?
Old 01-31-16, 09:51 PM

^ yes, the audio did drop out. That's a huge 'live' mistake to have happened.
Old 01-31-16, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also wondered the audio drop was a local thing for me.

I liked this. Julianne Hough was slightly better than in the Sandy role. Keke Palmer surprised me. It was great seeing Ana Gasteyer as the uptight principal and loved Didi Conn as the waitress.
Old 01-31-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Little-known fact: Grease is based on Taft High School in Chicago... just a few blocks away from me.
Yeah, my mom went to Taft but just after the guys who wrote.
Old 01-31-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heard a couple of line flubs. One was during the sleepover, where one of the girls asked where the other girl got the jacket or kimono or whatever it was, and she called her Jan instead of Marty. The other line was toward the end, but I can't recall it now.
Old 01-31-16, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm guessing that Eugene was supposed to actually hit the coach in the face with the pie which would have resulted in a similar line from the Coach as in the movie. Did they have different lines ready depending on where the pie actually landed?

I was disappointed that we didn't get the flying car at the end.
Old 01-31-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I'm guessing that Eugene was supposed to actually hit the coach in the face with the pie which would have resulted in a similar line from the Coach as in the movie. Did they have different lines ready depending on where the pie actually landed?
Old 01-31-16, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by windom View Post

I was disappointed that we didn't get the flying car at the end.
that was the dopiest part of the movie IMO.
Old 01-31-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts

I will watch Kether Donahue in anything and everything she ever does.

And Julliane Hough is insanely hot. And sings well.

Strange that with all the good casting the did, they still ended up with a Danny who was a terrible singer and actor, not even remotely famous and at least 15 years too old for the part.
Old 01-31-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any wardrobe malfunctions or people farting loudly?
Old 01-31-16, 11:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't planning on watching this, but got sucked in... but overall I was impressed by the sheer scope of this. The staging with the live audience was pretty brilliant, and that whole school dance scene had an incredible manic energy. Then the freakin' carnival... awesome.

I agree Danny was the one real 'off' cast member... he came off like an SNL guest host doing a parody of Danny in a Grease sketch.

I noticed they bounced between saying 'National Bandstand' and 'American Bandstand'... I know Mario called it AB and I think someone early on did as well.
Old 01-31-16, 11:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The opening with Jessie J breaking the fourth wall (and showing the scope of the production) was a nice touch and gave the whole thing a fun vibe that continued throughout the evening. I agree that Aaron Tveit didn't quite have the "punch" that Travolta had, though this is one of those roles (like "Maria" in "The Sound of Music") that thousands of actors have played over the years. Julianne Hough was terrific for the most part (I thought she nailed "Hopelessly Devoted To You") , as were most of the cast. I do wish they would have run the names of the cast as they took their bows at the end.
For me, the weakest casting was "Boys2Men" as the "Teen Angel". Its a funny song and in the film Frankie Avalon did a nice job of nailing the lyrical punchlines. They just sang them as if it were just a straight song and it came off flat.
And while the show retained some racy lines, they really neutered the lyrics in "Greased Lightnin'", though that was one of those songs where the production sort of swallowed up the song, and you just had to appreciate it for its spectacle.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-31-16 at 11:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.