Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Long running TV shows you Regret watching ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Long running TV shows you Regret watching ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Long running TV shows you Regret watching ?

Californication fits the bill for me. First 2-3 seasons were great. 4 was okay. 5-7 were an exercise in patience. Fuck that show.
Old 12-14-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Seems like it's a lot of Showtime shows that outstay their welcome and turn to crap after their first few decent seasons; Dexter, Weeds, Californication, Homeland, etc.
Old 12-14-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Seems like it's a lot of Showtime shows that outstay their welcome and turn to crap after their first few decent seasons; Dexter, Weeds, Californication, Homeland, etc.
Yeah it is weird but a lot of their shows do seem to trend that way. More so than just about any other network in my opinion.
Old 12-14-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yep, Showtime hasn't met a show that it hasn't run into the ground.
Old 12-14-15, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Yep, Showtime hasn't met a show that it hasn't run into the ground.
I never watched the movie, which was apparently terrible, but I thought Dead Like Me held up throughout it's admittedly short (2 seasons) run, despite some casting changes between seasons 1 and 2.
Old 12-14-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Hell's Kitchen. What a waste of time, even though I always fast-forwarded through much of it.
Old 12-14-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Mad Men

But seriously...

Falling Skies. Just Ugh.

True Blood, yes and no. I guess I don't regret it, I loved the first season. The mood really changed from that point. At some points, the opening title sequence was better than the episode.
Old 12-14-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I never watched the movie, which was apparently terrible, but I thought Dead Like Me held up throughout it's admittedly short (2 seasons) run, despite some casting changes between seasons 1 and 2.
I was speaking more in terms of Showtime's more recent output. Really was anyone still watching Nurse Jackie.

Dead Like Me is an interesting case. Certainly one wonders what the show might have been if they hadn't parted ways with Bryan Fuller after the first five episodes. History and his television programs since would indicate that at least creatively that was a fairly large blunder.
Old 12-14-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Mad Men

But seriously...

Falling Skies. Just Ugh.

True Blood, yes and no. I guess I don't regret it, I loved the first season. The mood really changed from that point. At some points, the opening title sequence was better than the episode.
You nailed it with Falling Skies. That may be the worst sci-fi show ever to get five seasons. While I didn't really hang around for the final season except the finale, it was never a good show and had laughable writing at times.
Old 12-14-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yeah I can't believe I wasted 5 summers on Falling Skies. The ending for that series was just terrible. It started out decently, but seasons 4 and 5 were just the worst. It really proves that David Eick, who took over as showrunner those last 2 seasons, is overrated as a science fiction writer/producer. He got too much credit for his involvement with Battlestar Galactica, when that was really Ronald D. Moore's baby.
Old 12-14-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I gave up on Falling Skies sometime during the second season.

Back when it first started in 2011, I was looking for a replacement after Stargate Universe ended. Falling Skies just happened to fit the bill at the time.

Other than catching some random episodes from subsequent seasons, it seemed like a boring show with annoying kids.
Old 12-14-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I skipped out on maybe three seasons of HIMYM but tuned in for the last season. Even though I thought there were some funny bits, whoever thought it was a brilliant idea to focus an entire season on a few days passing, building up sympathy that maybe these two people should really be together, only to throw that out the window in the span of a final episode while also completely invalidating the whole point of the entire series should never make a show again. I never watched the "corrected" version on the DVD set, but yeah I think I would have been happier never watching that last episode.

Otherwise, I kinda get bored and stop watching or fall way behind on the hour long shows, and stop when everyone else rails on them. I think I only watched a few episodes of the last seasons of Lost, Alias, and Heroes (pre-Reborn) before just giving up on them.
Old 12-14-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "The X-Files". Much of its run was pretty terrific, but once Duchovny (and then Anderson) left, the show went downhill quick. That being said, -and getting back to the original point of the thread, -I don't regret watching those seasons before it went off the rails.
I do regret sticking with it for that long. Looking back, I could have bailed after the fifth season and been fine with it.

I did bail on Star Trek: Voyager halfway through the third season, and regret sticking with it for even that long. I recently started DS9, and it's taking its time finding its footing. I watched most of the first season during its initial run, and don't remember it being this painful.
Old 12-14-15, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dexter makes me madder than any other show committed 8 years only to have it be one of the worst endings in TV history
Old 12-14-15, 04:08 PM

Lost of course.

Weeds just went so far off base.

Californication. Yes, I'll be good, yes I fucked up, yes I'll be good, yes I fucked up... I didn't bother with the last season.

Falling Skies got bad quickly, but I didn't mind having something to watch while doing my ironing.
Old 12-14-15, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Californication. Yes, I'll be good, yes I fucked up, yes I'll be good, yes I fucked up... I didn't bother with the last season.
Don't, it's not even the same show.
Old 12-14-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I was speaking more in terms of Showtime's more recent output. Really was anyone still watching Nurse Jackie.

Dead Like Me is an interesting case. Certainly one wonders what the show might have been if they hadn't parted ways with Bryan Fuller after the first five episodes. History and his television programs since would indicate that at least creatively that was a fairly large blunder.
I didn't watch the last two seasons of Nurse Jackie. I liked the supporting characters/actors more than Edie Falco. Even back on The Sopranos, I thought Falco was a bit overrated as an actress. I think the nods and awards Falco got for The Sopranos set her up for undeserved nominations later on with Nurse Jackie. With the last Emmy nomination announcements, people were trashing Falco on twitter. I didn't blame them because there were better actresses.