Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Galavant (ABC) -- Comedy/Musical Event Series -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 1/4/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Galavant (ABC) -- Comedy/Musical Event Series -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 1/4/15

Old 01-04-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

SERIES PREMIERE

HUZZAH!!! THE JANUARY COMEDY EXTRAVAGANZA, "GALAVANT," PREMIERES JANUARY 4 ON ABC WITH BACK-TO-BACK EPISODES

John Stamos Guest Stars as Galavant's Rival, Sir Jean Hamm

Screenwriter/executive producer Dan Fogelman ("Crazy, Stupid, Love," "Tangled," "Cars") unites with Broadway and Hollywood award-winning musical team - composer Alan Menken ("The Little Mermaid," "Aladdin," "Beauty and the Beast") and lyricist Glenn Slater ("The Little Mermaid," "Tangled") for a highly-anticipated comedy extravaganza. Once upon a time, the dashing hero, Galavant (Joshua Sasse), lost the love of his life, Madalena (Mallory Jansen), to the evil King Richard (Timothy Omundson). Now, our fallen hero is ready to take revenge and restore his "happily ever after." But it won't be without a few twists and turns along the way. "Galavant" will premiere on SUNDAY, JANUARY 4 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) with two 30 minute episodes, back-to-back on the ABC Television Network. The eight episode series will run through Sunday nights in January.

"Pilot" (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) - When heroic, charming and handsome Sir Galavant loses his true love, the beautiful Madalena, to evil King Richard's wealth and power, he falls into a deep and drunken despair. Just as our hero hits rock bottom, Princess Isabella shows up with a quest to save her kingdom, defeat the despicable King Richard, and provide an opportunity for Galavant to reclaim Madalena. Galavant is off to become a hero again and strike a blow for true love... but first, Galavant has to fit into his old hero pants.

"Joust Friends" (8:30-9:00 p.m. ET) - Galavant enters a jousting tournament against a boastful rival, Sir Jean Hamm (guest star John Stamos), to test his return to heroic form (and win some much-needed traveling money and a really nice rooster). But it quickly becomes clear that Galavant is a long shot to win. Meanwhile, King Richard asks Gareth to help him become a bit more macho so that Madalena won't despise him quite so much.

"Galavant" stars Joshua Sasse as Galavant, Timothy Omundson as King Richard, Vinnie Jones as Gareth, Mallory Jansen as Madalena, Karen David as Isabella and Luke Youngblood as Sid.

"Pilot" and "Joust Friends" were both written by Dan Fogelman and directed by Chris Koch. "Pilot" guest stars are Ben Presley as Jester, Darren Evans as Chef, Stanley Townsend as King of Valencia and Genevieve Allenbury as Queen of Valencia. "Joust Friends" guest stars are Ben Presley as Jester, Darren Evans as Chef, Stanley Townsend as King of Valencia, Genevieve Allenbury as Queen of Valencia, Michal Jibson as Joustmaster and John Stamos as Sir Jean Hamm.

"Galavant" was written by Dan Fogelman, who also serves as executive producer. Executive producers are Alan Menken, Glenn Slater and Chris Koch. The pilot of "Galavant" was directed by Chris Koch. Abbey C Studios Ltd. produces "Galavant" for ABC Studios.

8 episodes airing over 4 weeks

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hPNVhGbw_Sg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-04-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
Re: Galavant (ABC) -- 4 week comedy/musical event -- Premieres 1/4/15

Been looking forward to this. Can't wait to watch it tomorrow on Hulu.
Old 01-04-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Fun, but will have limited appeal. Good that it's a mini-series.
Old 01-05-15, 12:20 AM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

On the DVR... not sure when I'll get to it.
Old 01-05-15, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

ABC pimped this show to the point of near sickness...during the show! Every promo for every other ABC show was done with the Galavant song. Even KABC had a promo for their weatherman using the music.

The show was pretty damn funny, but jeez, they really shoved it down people's throats.
Old 01-05-15, 10:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved this. I actually thought the second half hour was funnier than the first.
Old 01-05-15, 10:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought it was OK. In some ways reminiscent of Black Adder, especially with the idiot king (idiot queen in Black Adder). But nowhere near as good as Black Adder.
Old 01-05-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I enjoyed it too, but as others pointed out, the commercials were almost going to drive me away! That damn melody for every friggin' abc related commercial was getting so annoying.
Old 01-05-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

I will give ABC credit for trying something different, I'm not sure any other network would have attempted to pull off a comedy musical.

I thought the first hour was cute, I think this will find an audience if it gets enough exposure. I am not the biggest fan of musicals, so I am not sure if I will stick around.
Old 01-05-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this just a ripoff of "A Knight's Tale"? Although I have to say that the joust scene had me in stitches.
Old 01-05-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
Isn't this just a ripoff of "A Knight's Tale"? Although I have to say that the joust scene had me in stitches.
It's a spoof on this kind of genre. The second episode clearly riffed on A Knight's Tale by using the rock music during the jousting scene.

But you can also see some Black Adder as mentioned above, some Mel Brooks/Men In Tights type of comedy there.
Old 01-05-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm getting a "Glee" vibe. Starts out fun with good music, then just becomes meh down the line....
Old 01-05-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

The 2nd episode was funnier than the 1st.

at the Joust scene.

This kind of reminded me of a live action Disney cartoon musical. I liked Omundson as the "Evil/Stupid" King. He and Vinnie Jones had some funny scenes, especially when he got emotional at the end. I liked most of the songs. They were catchy and didn't feel forced into the scenes.

Comedy-Musicals aren't exactly a draw in this forum, but if you want to see something light with some music, then it's worth checking out.
Old 01-06-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We DVR'd it per my wife's request but we started it last night and she turned it off after 15 minutes. Not her type of humor.
Old 01-16-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

4 episodes in and this show is awesome. Great songs and a great sense of humor.
Old 01-17-15, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Questyen
4 episodes in and this show is awesome. Great songs and a great sense of humor.
This is the first show I've really looked forward to every week since Breaking Bad. Absolutely awesome. The 2nd ep. of the 2nd night that had the pirates in it was the hardest I've laughed at a movie or TV show in years. Reminiscent of classic Monty Python. I've actually watched each of the eps. twice already -- something I never do.
Old 01-20-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Caught the first 2 eps last night, absolutely delightful. It's hard to do a barf scene that will make my jaded self laugh, but by golly they pulled it off.
Old 01-20-15, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I love it... everything about it. Awesome songs, wonderfully cast... can't give it enough praise. They don't neglect the secondary players, either... Galavant's squire, the cook, the chambermaid, Kingsley's guardsman all had hilarious scenes. Timothy Omundson is a perfect King Richard.

Hope they do another "mini-season" next year.
Old 01-24-15, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just starting watching this show today, and it is drop-down hilarious! The song in the second show about you're other half not being totally awful had me in stitches. I actually had to watch it again as I miss a lot of the lyrics because I was laughing so hard. The guy playing King Richard is super funny, but really...the whole cast is great. Thanks ABC for bringing something uniquely special to TV.
Old 01-25-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoyed this, except for the ending. That was incredibly unsatisfying.
Old 01-26-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the ending
Spoiler:
answered my question as to whether or not ABC plans a second season. Now they better deliver! It would be beyond annoying if this show doesn't have a resolution.
Old 01-26-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

damn G, that shit better be getting a second season or I'll poison the whole god damn ABC company.

okay, maybe not poison because I'm such a nice guy and can't kill them. But oh man, they better not be allergic to things.
Old 01-26-15, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

The ending really pissed me off. How are the ratings for this? Because I doubt they are strong enough to warrant a second season.

I just hope they shot an extra episode that has a proper ending to series, in case a second season doesn't happen. That way at least the BD release wont be incomplete.
Old 01-26-15, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wished I hadn't invested time into this show. There isn't going to be second season and that huge cliffhanger of a ending rubbed me the wrong way. They made it seem that this was going to be a mini series or at least a self contain season.
Old 01-27-15, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

1.1 in the ratings this week. It was ABC's highest rated show of the night but tied Brooklyn 99 for last place. Soooo yeah. Optimistic in the writing there.

Shamelessly lifted from another forum;

They won't get a season 2

We all know that's the truth

That's just the way that shows like this end

But you know it was a fun

Two-and-a-half hour run

An experience I'd readily defend

Yes! The songs were fun and never grating

Timothy Ormundson was damn amazing

So!

Into obscurity we go!

Like Cop Rock and Eli Stone!

'Cause that's the end of

GAL

A

VANT!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.