Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I believe Fuller confirmed that the design was indeed taken from McQuarrie. I think we'll all get used to the look of the ship. Let's face it, you won't hear many admit it today, but the design of the 1701-D for TNG was pretty negative when it was first revealed.
It still is. From some angles, the Galaxy-class looks nice but it generally looks top-heavy.
Old 07-24-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Galaxy Class is by far my favorite Trek ship design. Just has a really nice and slick look to it. Just a good design that still holds up today in my opinion.
Old 07-24-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Really underwhelmed by that trailer. I thought the first one did better at stirring up excitement.
Old 07-24-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyway, there's definitely a Klingon connection with that vessel (the music implies that as well). I wonder if we'll have our first Klingon captain or a primarily Klingon crew?
Even the new logo and title font have a Klingon thing going on.
Old 07-24-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Anyone seen this theory floating around? I kinda like it...
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75805
Old 07-24-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Let's face it, you won't hear many admit it today, but the design of the 1701-D for TNG was pretty negative when it was first revealed.
I'm the opposite.

When TNG was on the air I liked the 1701-D/Galaxy Class design, but it hasn't aged well for me.

My girlfriend got me an Art Asylum TOS Enterprise a while back, and I was going to buy an Art Asylum 1701-D as a companion, but the more I looked at the ship, the uglier it got. Too many curves, too many windows, poorly balanced. I passed and I'll wait until they make a D7.
Old 07-24-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Even the new logo and title font have a Klingon thing going on.
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Anyone seen this theory floating around? I kinda like it...
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75805
Speaking of conspiracy theories, I read one yesterday that this series might involve some kind of pre-TOS conflict with the Klingons, which is why they put the kibosh on Axanar -- because its storyline is too close the one they're doing in Discovery.
Old 07-25-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

I hope the CGI in that teaser isn't reflective of what we're getting in the new series. ENTERPRISE had better CGI than that.
Yeah, that is some real fanfilm level CGI right there. It had me wishing for a model instead.
Old 07-25-16, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I hope the CGI in that teaser isn't reflective of what we're getting in the new series. ENTERPRISE had better CGI than that.
It's test footage that was created quickly for Comic Con.
http://www.fuse.tv/2016/07/star-trek...ht-cbs-tv-show
Additionally, Comic Con attendees were shown footage of a test flight of the newest spacecraft for the series, called the U.S.S. Discovery, although the design isn't final; the clip was created in a rush for Comic Con.
Old 07-26-16, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm definitely seeing a Klingon bit of design on the Discovery. Klingon/Starfleet hybrid.

Let's see how this plays out. Of course, I may not get to watch the show until it hits Blu Ray...
Old 07-26-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Why do I get the feeling (and it's a feeling only) that this new Star Trek series is going to be space battles and little else *but* space battles (and mining nostalgia). I have a hunch that stories in the vein of TNG's "The Measure of a Man" and "The Inner Light" are not going to be there.
Old 07-26-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Why do I get the feeling (and it's a feeling only) that this new Star Trek series is going to be space battles and little else *but* space battles (and mining nostalgia).
Maybe because you're not familiar with Executive Producer's prior work, nor that of a lot of the writers and crew. These are people that love Trek and known for doing solid writing work.

Also, TV budgets typically don't allow for a lot of space battles. DS9's space battle scenes pushed the budget for that show, to the point where they ended up recycling shots:
http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/the-r...-sucked.34143/
Old 07-26-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
Why do I get the feeling (and it's a feeling only) that this new Star Trek series is going to be space battles and little else *but* space battles (and mining nostalgia). I have a hunch that stories in the vein of TNG's "The Measure of a Man" and "The Inner Light" are not going to be there.
Um, no.
Old 07-26-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Fuller has already been promising a more progressive Trek. We're sure to see LGBT representation and it's likely that will also get story time too.
Old 07-27-16, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Um, no.
"Um, no." You agree with my conjecture or disagree? I hope I'm wrong, I want this series to succeed. As far as it being more progressive that's fine by me, but I hope it's not just "Well, we got LGBTQ characters, and now here are non-stop space battles and fist-fights!" Trek used to have variety in its story-telling. But, time will tell.
Old 07-27-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

I disagree with your conjecture. I have a lot of faith in Bryan Fuller. His showrunning track record is quite impressive, showing a strong ability to create unique premises and push the envelope. Plus he is a hardcore Trek fan; DS9 is his favourite of the spinoffs, which speaks volumes about the direction he will take Trek to. It was by far the most complicated and morally gray of any Trek show but at times was still hemmed in by 90s sensibilities. I hope and believe that Fuller will take that and show us a new Trek befitting the Golden Age of TV that we are currently in.

As this won't be on a network, I wonder how far the violence/sex/swearing will go? I'm going to guess somewhere in the PG-13 range, similar to the recent movies?
Old 08-10-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-tre...a-female-lead/

Producer Bryan Fuller has announced that his upcoming CBS All Access series “Star Trek: Discovery” is set to have a female lead, a role that he adds could potentially go to a woman of color as reportedly all women seen for the role so far have been either African American or Hispanic.

CBS Television Studios is in the process of casting the role so sadly there was no announcement of who will be involved in the show at today’s CBS presentation during the Television Critics Association summer press tour. Fuller did confirm that the series will be about an event in Trek history that has been talked about but never fully explored, and that the new series is set “a decade before Kirk, and will bridge the gap between Enterprise and the original series… we’re most closer to Kirk’s mission and get to play with that iconography.”

He confirmed the more serialised nature of the show saying that “we’re telling a Star Trek novel over 13 episodes,” and that there will be an openly gay character.

So far the various Trek series have had numerous female starship captains in guest star or recurring roles, while Kate Mulgrew’s Captain Kathryn Janeway “Star Trek: Voyager” became the franchise’s first female lead. Avery Brooks’ Captain Benjamin Sisko on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” was the first African American to lead a “Star Trek” series. A non-white female lead however has not been done on Trek before and it has been confirmed the lead role in ‘Discovery’ is human, but not a captain.

Shooting on the series is set to begin in two months under the helm of David Semel, with make-up tests currently underway – check out one that Fuller tweeted about this week. The first episode is slated to premiere in January.
Old 08-11-16, 05:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

oh please be Leslie Jones.... please be Leslie Jones... please be Leslie Jones...
Old 08-11-16, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are Trekkies prone to falling into fits of racism and misogyny like GBFans?
Old 08-11-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

The other info is that the lead is not going to be the captain but will be a female Lt Cmdr.

I've thought for years that Trek should do something like this - start with the lead being a mid-grade officer so we can see them grown and learn, and not have the captain and first officer locked in place for years. This allows us to see the character advance in rank and change positions.
Old 08-11-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

No problem with a female lead who isn't captain but it does feel like they should rename this Star Trek: Bandwagon.

As far as having an openly gay character, I don't understand how this fits in to the story they want to tell. It seems like any onscreen dialogue or action to illustrate someone is gay will seem painfully deliberate. Will the character be caught in a compromising position with a same sex crew member? Seen checking out the ass of a same sex crew member? Hell even just showing a "family" picture with a same sex couple seems a little heavy handed. Maybe they'll find a tasteful way to do it that makes sense within the story.
Old 08-11-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have a problem with Star Trek introducing a gay character, but I find the costume they gave him to be sort of offensive:

Spoiler:

Old 08-11-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Will be interesting to see what (offscreen) event referenced in TOS they use.
Old 08-11-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Are Trekkies prone to falling into fits of racism and misogyny like GBFans?
No, I think they're more concerned about the minutia of made-up technology.
Old 08-11-16, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

New captain and Janeway will get merged in a transporter accident...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.