Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: A new Star Trek TV series??

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
To me ST has been about looking toward the future. So talking about another show in the TNG era after 3 of them seems silly to me. While a Riker led Titan show sounds cool, I think they would need to go past that era. The Next Next Generation if you will. Plus you can dodge all the EU media they've been pumping out for a while now.
Eh I dunno. With a series based on Titan it would be a bit more in the future and not exactly in TNG times. I can see your point but I think that Titan would be a good starting point for the next version of Trek. I could be wrong though and maybe going further to the future much like TNG did when it started after coming off of TOS and the films could work too. I just think it would need a really strong cast to pull that off. I think with Titan it would be a bit on the safer side because it would be starting something new while keeping elements of familiarity around.
Old 10-12-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
No, I dislike AbramsTrek because of Kurtzman and Orci. This announcement makes me squirm.

Also, unless I'm not understanding this correctly, CBS would have to strike a licensing deal with Paramount to set a Trek series in the reboot universe. Since space shows are expensive enough already, I can't see CBS wanting to financially handicap the series that way.
CBS would have to technically strike a deal, but as they're both Sumner Redstone controlled companies they do a lot of this business (I think). Still, the idea of this on CBS is bad, bad news for any plans to make this a shorter season series.
Old 10-12-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow love all the discussion and passion. I like the suggestion of after DS9. Also like the AHS style storylines. Don't want the series following riker, but am okay with riker dropping in.
Old 10-12-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Part of me would love to see a 13 episode serialized more adult version of ST, but there is also part of me that would like to see ST:The Third Generation set 75 years or so after ST:NG with new technologies and storylines
Old 10-12-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Part of me would love to see a 13 episode serialized more adult version of ST, but there is also part of me that would like to see ST:The Third Generation set 75 years or so after ST:NG with new technologies and storylines
The tricorders would look just like iPhones!
Old 10-15-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Given that season long anthology is hot now, I'd really like to see them farm this out to a cable net and make a 10 to 13 episode long self contained season about pretty much anything they like. The star here is the universe, and this would give them a chance to tell us a large number of stories.
Pretty good idea. I do want it in the original universe and set right after DS9/Voyager in the timeline or a generation after. Don't go back to times we've already seen. I want something NEW where they can take the story where they want and not have to fit into what has already happened.
Old 10-15-13, 06:33 PM

I know the format is near dead now but what does everyone think of first run syndication?

Here's my reasoning:

TOS first run - Cancelled by NBC
TOS repeats - became legendary in syndication
TNG - became legendary in syndication
DS9 - did well in syndication but many say it was hurt by being serialized
Voy - Did poorly on UPN
Enterprise - Cancelled by the CW

History seems to suggest ST does best with one off episodes in syndication to me...anyone see any flaws in my reasoning?
Old 10-15-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
I know the format is near dead now but what does everyone think of first run syndication?

Here's my reasoning:

TOS first run - Cancelled by NBC
TOS repeats - became legendary in syndication
TNG - became legendary in syndication
DS9 - did well in syndication but many say it was hurt by being serialized
Voy - Did poorly on UPN
Enterprise - Cancelled by the CW

History seems to suggest ST does best with one off episodes in syndication to me...anyone see any flaws in my reasoning?
I don't see any flaws in your reasoning but I can picture CBS/Paramount sitting around a table figuring out how to get in on the current landscape of TV. Look at what's popular recently and you'll see a ton of serialized shows.

Perhaps they would be better off following USA's Burn Notice, as the majority of the show had a main serialized story as well as a contained story of the week.
Old 10-15-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
It's CBS, so I expect them to be solving a crime each week where/whenever it takes place.
since they're down to one csi
CSI:Starfleet
Old 10-15-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think first run syndication is dead and has been for about a decade now as a viable place to do this. I think what is emerging to take its place is online. Star Trek would actually be the perfect property to use to launch a new online subscription site, particularly if you could time it with pulling the online rights from Netflix.
Old 10-17-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Then I say screw it and give us a new B5 TV series.
My favorite show!

They had JMS write up a Star Trek reboot supposedly back in '04 but it didn't go anywhere. I'd guess it'd be hard for him to write a show with an optimistic/unrealistic of a future as ST. I always liked that homeless people lived in the station, that drug trafficking was still a problem, etc. ST has a lot of that "we fixed all of today's problems" optimism which I always found a bit unrealistic.

The chances of some sort of TNG spinoff are non-existent IMO. Sure TNG was good, but the movies were mostly terrible, no one really wants Riker as a captain, and the whole cast is too old at this point, really.

Anything they do will surely be set in the reboot universe, for good or ill. Maybe a reboot universe show set between TNG and TOS? Or a reboot universe version of TNG?

They've really got to reign in the B.S. though. Into Darkness had a lot of problems with its magic Khan blood and universe-wide transporters.
Old 10-17-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
ST has a lot of that "we fixed all of today's problems" optimism which I always found a bit unrealistic.
I always thought it was funny seeing the Enterprise crew "move beyond the petty behavior of the past", yet Star Fleet always seems to still be run by single minded politicians.
Old 10-17-13, 10:30 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I'd be in for an evil mirror universe show that's infested with with Borg. We could get evil versions of characters we know fighting an even bigger evil. Put it on FX or AMC and make it super dark and violent.
Old 10-18-13, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
ST has a lot of that "we fixed all of today's problems" optimism which I always found unrealistic
Thats actually part of what I liked best of Roddenberry's vision.

The chances of some sort of TNG spinoff are non-existent IMO. Sure TNG was good, but the movies were mostly terrible, no one really wants Riker as a captain, and the whole cast is too old at this point, really.
Ouch! Riker old? Ill admit its been awhile since Ive seen him but I still think he looks younger than Picard was.

Plus there was that ep where Ronny Cox got command of the Enterprise in that 2 pt ep where Picard was being tortured so there's a precident for old captains.

I think first run syndication is dead and has been for about a decade now as a viable place to do this. I think what is emerging to take its place is online. Star Trek would actually be the perfect property to use to launch a new online subscription site, particularly if you could time it with pulling the online rights from Netflix.
Yeah...I guess syndication is dead...but an online subscription site...that'd be really margainizing ST in the other direction. Im not sure the franchise could handle that at this point.

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I'd be in for an evil mirror universe show that's infested with with Borg. We could get evil versions of characters we know fighting an even bigger evil. Put it on FX or AMC and make it super dark and violent.
Oh man. That would be the death of Star Trek for me and IMO would make Gene Roddenberry roll over in his grave.
Old 10-18-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm willing to bet we don't see any movement on a TV series until shortly before or after the next theatrical film comes out (almost certainly in 2016, since that's the 50th anniversary year). My guess is this will be the last theatrical movie for a while, and Paramount/CBS will go back to TV.

I think a 13 to 15 episode "summer series" (like CBS did with Under The Dome) would be a perfect way to re-launch Trek on TV. Maybe serialize it this time around, instead of the (mostly) stand-alone episodes. Finally, I don't think we need a "darker" Trek - not that Trek has ever seriously gone that way, but so much sci-fi these days leans toward "end of the world" scenarios, going in the opposite direction with something hopeful and encouraging seems to be the right direction. That, of course, doesn't mean the show can't take risks (like killing off a cast member) or have conflict between characters (one of the biggest flaws in most of the Trek that's been on TV - primarily because Roddenberry never felt crew members would disagree with each other).
Old 10-18-13, 08:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't know. A lot of screen time in the early TNG seasons was given towards the conflict between Wesley and Picard.
Old 10-18-13, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Screw that. I want Mirror-Trek. A Trek that takes place entirely in the Mirror Universe. They could do some amazing things with this...
Old 10-18-13, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't know. A lot of screen time in the early TNG seasons was given towards the conflict between Wesley and Picard.
True. Even in TOS Bone and Spock butted heads on occasion.

As such I wonder if rhat 'no crew conflicts' statement from Roddenberry may have been misquoted or misunderstood.
Old 10-19-13, 08:57 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Oh man. That would be the death of Star Trek for me and IMO would make Gene Roddenberry roll over in his grave.
Sorry, i should have clarified that that was mostly tongue-in-cheek. But I think it'd make a cool book, some kind of DC Elseworlds-esque story.
Old 10-19-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the idea behind no crew conflicts is that they're supposed to be a family. They can squabble, but everybody has to like each other at the end of the day.
Old 10-19-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I got pretty tired of the mirror DS9 episodes. Too much. I loved the ENT back-to-back ones though.

I think Gene rolled over in his grave over and over at the notion of wealth/latinum in DS9.
Old 10-19-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't latinum in DS9 mostly a function of how there were plenty of non-Federation societies involved in life out there? It would stand to reason that even if the USA got to the point we didn't really need money at least for everyday things when we were dealing with China we'd still need some way of accounting for stuff.
Old 10-19-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Wasn't latinum in DS9 mostly a function of how there were plenty of non-Federation societies involved in life out there? It would stand to reason that even if the USA got to the point we didn't really need money at least for everyday things when we were dealing with China we'd still need some way of accounting for stuff.
Sure, but Gene seemingly ignored that (though there was the vague concept of credits). See: Picard blah blah blahing about the acquisition of wealth in First Contact.

The only episode where Gene really addressed capitalism was Mudd's Women - where Kirk had to barter.
Old 10-19-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I think Gene rolled over in his grave over and over at the notion of wealth/latinum in DS9.
That was mostly from the Ferenghis, wasn't it?

I'm not really sure what kind of intrinsic value "gold-pressed latinum" would have in a society where replication technology is ubiquitous.

Any system of currency exchange would need to be done with some kind of credit system (or even something like bitcoins?) since physical money backed by precious metals would have no intrinsic value.

And even then, you're only going to be paying for services or real estate since anything physical, both durable goods and consumables, could be replicated endlessly.

And I'm also assuming that space-faring worlds also have access to free energy, so that would be a negligible part of their economies.

From what I recall, the closest thing we've seen that points to energy production is the destruction of the Klingon moon Praxis in The Undiscovered Country.
Old 10-19-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Sure, but Gene seemingly ignored that (though there was the vague concept of credits). See: Picard blah blah blahing about the acquisition of wealth in First Contact.

The only episode where Gene really addressed capitalism was Mudd's Women - where Kirk had to barter.
In "Devil in the Dark," there was the mining company that was unknowingly destroying the Horta eggs. Which, like the Klingon moon Praxis, I'm not really sure what they would need to be mining when they seem to have the technology to create whatever they need from either nothing or generic base matter.

Though I would wager that at the time, the writers hadn't fully worked out the implications of the technology they had created.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.