Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel & Fox X-Men Live Action shows - "Hellfire" & "Legion"

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Marvel & Fox - "Hellfire" & "Legion"

I suppose a "Teenage Blob struggling with an eating disorder befriends a school outcast nicknamed Toad" was right there at the end and didn't make the cut.
Old 10-14-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Why can't they do a New Mutants/X-Force show?
Old 10-14-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Aren't they prepping an X-Force movie?
Old 10-14-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Great, now we won't get a DC Legion series...
Old 10-14-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I thought it was only a Deadpool movie coming up?
Old 10-14-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think there have been rumors of a potential X-Force film in the future but nothing written in stone like the upcoming Deadpool film.
Old 10-14-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Cool. I can get attached and then have Fox bail after a season 1 cliffhanger. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 10-14-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also don't get the obsession with period pieces. Is it still all because of Mad Men?
Old 10-14-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I also don't get the obsession with period pieces. Is it still all because of Mad Men?
Because the Hellfire Club kinda started with Sebastian Shaw during the First Class era?
Old 10-14-15, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why they haven't pushed for Cable in the X-men films or even his own X-force franchise is beyond my understanding.
Old 10-14-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Because the Hellfire Club kinda started with Sebastian Shaw during the First Class era?
But is this tied into the movie somehow?
Old 10-14-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Curious as to what Marvel's getting out of this deal, because supposedly they have the TV rights to all their characters.
Old 10-14-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Both concepts don't sound very appealing to me at all either.
Old 10-15-15, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
The entire X universe and they pull out two concepts I couldn't car less about.
I didn't want to say it but those were my thoughts. I think Fox picked out the two "safest" properties they could think of that wouldn't call for familiar X-Men characters to appear.

The Hellfire Club has always been boring without Jean Grey or Emma Frost around. As for Legion, we'll get some token Professor X appearances.
Old 10-15-15, 09:03 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Curious as to what Marvel's getting out of this deal, because supposedly they have the TV rights to all their characters.
Apparently the rights back to Fantastic Four: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fant...anned-for-2020
Old 10-15-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I thought it was only a Deadpool movie coming up?
Deadpool is in the can, and X-Force has frequently been mentioned, though it seems to be in development hell.

Gambit seems to be hovering in some kind of pre-production, but feels like it could cancelled at any second.
Old 10-15-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Apparently the rights back to Fantastic Four: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fant...anned-for-2020
If true (and I speculated back in January that this is the sort of deal that Marvel might make in exchange for the X-Men TV rights), hopefully this will include all the other characters that were tied up with the FF rights at FOX, beyond Doom, Galactus and the Surfer. Most immediately, I'm thinking of Kang, who is more naturally paired as a villain with the Avengers.

Update: Multiple sites are now reporting the rumor is false.

Last edited by Super X; 10-15-15 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-15-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Marvel & Fox X-Men Live Action shows - "Hellfire" & "Legion"

The rumor doesn't make business sense. Movie rights are far more valuable than TV rights. The only reason Sony handed Spider-Man back was because the company is in a financial mess without corporate direction. This was above the movie studio level. Fox is not in the same position as Sony by a long shot.
Old 10-15-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The rumor doesn't make business sense. Movie rights are far more valuable than TV rights. The only reason Sony handed Spider-Man back was because the company is in a financial mess without corporate direction. This was above the movie studio level. Fox is not in the same position as Sony by a long shot.
Fantastic Four was possibly the least profitable movie since John Carter, and they had to make another movie within however many years or risk losing the rights, and that movie would be sure to tank particularly among this onslaught of super hero movies the next 5 years. I've seen every superhero movie I can think of except Superman IV, Elektra, and the recent Fantastic Four and if I'm watching one of those it'll be Superman IV because the box set was $14 from Amazon UK. If you could get points on the movie like Sony got versus 100% of nothing I see the logic.

edit: I guess I believe what I want to believe

Last edited by cleaver; 10-15-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Fox learned their lesson and will listen to their fans. No more dark & gritty Fantastic Four movie at all. Next, they'll have Adam Sandler star as with Rebel Wilson as Sue, Taylor Kitsch as Johnny, John Goodman as the voice of The Thing, and Kevin James as Doom.

Just what the people want! They'll make millions...
Old 10-15-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Fox learned their lesson and will listen to their fans. No more dark & gritty Fantastic Four movie at all. Next, they'll have Adam Sandler star as with Rebel Wilson as Sue, Taylor Kitsch as Johnny, John Goodman as the voice of The Thing, and Kevin James as Doom.

They're not just going to gender-reverse all the roles?

As much as they've driven the FF franchise into the ground, I'd hope they could get more out of it than a couple of fringe mutant tv properties.
Old 10-15-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I know this was a joke, but John Goodman would be a pretty great voice for The Thing.
Old 01-16-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Latest update on this project. Sounds like it's not happening anytime soon. Evan Katz and Manny Coto, who developed it left the project to work on the new 24 pilot.

Fox's X-Men drama Hellfire is making a change at the top.

Writers Evan Katz and Manny Coto, who co-created the drama, are exiting, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Also out are Patrick McKay and John D. Payne, who came up the the story for the drama alongside Katz and Coto and were set to pen the script. A search is under way for a new writer.

The changes come as Hellfire is on a slower development track, insiders say. Hellfire, which previously was considered a live-action X-Men, follows a young special agent who learns that a power-hungry woman with extraordinary abilities is working with a clandestine society of millionaires — known as "The Hellfire Club" — to take over the world.

Sources say the X-Men drama is not likely to go to pilot this season as it remains on a slower track. The change comes as Katz and Coto are shifting their focus to Fox's 24: Legacy, which received a formal pilot order Friday during Fox's time in front of the press at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour. The new take on 24 will feature an entirely new cast with a diverse lead as Fox has high hopes to reboot the franchise for a new era.

The change at the top should not worry diehard fans of the X-Men franchise. Sources say Fox remains committed to Hellfire and wants to get it completely right as the X-Men franchise remains a valuable asset for the company. Should Hellfire go to series and the network renew Batman prequel Gotham, the network would have dramas from both comic book powerhouses DC Comics and Marvel — a first for a broadcast network and something insiders would love to see on their schedule.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/legion-s...fx-1201684472/

Legion is close to a series pickup at FX

As X-Men-themed pilot Legion is being cast, FX already is looking ahead to a series pickup. FX Networks CEO John Landgraf Saturday at TCA said that the potential series is penciled in for a potential launch later this year. Sets are being built and a writers room has been assembled, churning out scripts. While Landgraf cautioned that it is theoretically possible that production or other issues could derail a series pickup of the pilot when it’s completed, he stressed FX’s track record of taking the vast majority of its drama pilots to series, and was confident Legion would continue the trend. “I’m pretty optimistic about Legion,” Landgraf said. “The scripts are extraordinary.”

As for the storyline of Legion, from Noah Hawley, it will not follow the continuity of the films. “It takes place in a parallel universe,” Landgraf said. “The US government is in the early days of being aware of mutants, but not the public. I don’t foresee any characters moving back and forth (between the movies and the series).”
Old 02-04-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

FEBRUARY 04, 2016 11:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg
Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, Jean Smart to Star in FX's 'X-Men' Take 'Legion'

The 'Downton Abbey,' 'Parks and Recreation' and 'Fargo' alums join previously cast Rachel Keller (also from 'Fargo') in the Noah Hawley drama pilot.

FX is going big for its X-Men take Legion.

The network has tapped Downton Abbey's Dan Stevens, Parks and Recreation grad Aubrey Plaza and Fargo alum Jean Smart to star in the pilot from Noah Hawley (Fargo), The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The Legion pilot introduces the story of David Haller, a man who may be more than human and who has has struggled with mental illness since his teenage years. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he is confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real. In the comics, David is the son of X-Men founder Charles Xavier (aka Professor X) and Israeli Holocaust survivor Gabrielle Haller. The character first appeared in New Mutants #25 in March 1985.

Stevens will play David. Diagnosed as schizophrenic at a young age, David is a haunted man, trying to find his way back to sanity, but he's getting tired and is about to give up when he meets the girl of his dreams.

Parks breakout Plaza will play Lenny, David's friend, who despite a life of drugs and alcohol abuse, knows that any day now her life is going to turn around — which gives Lenny the likeable energy of the impossible optimist despite her rough demeanor.

Since wrapping NBC's Parks, UCB grad Plaza — who has received multiple offers this pilot season — has focused on film with features Dirty Grandpa, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates and Joshy. She next has Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates. She's repped by CAA, MGMT Entertainment and Schreck Rose.

Smart, who reunites with Hawley after her role in season two of FX's Fargo, is set as Melanie, a nurturing, demanding therapist with a sharp mind and unconventional methods. The actress' role in Fargo earned her a Critics Choice Award for supporting actress in a limited series. The three-time Emmy winner next stars in The Accountant. She's repped by WME and Untitled Entertainment.

Stevens and Plaza join the previously cast Rachel Keller, a Fargo season two breakout who will also reunite with Hawley on Legion. Keller will play the female lead, Syd, a self-sufficient and street smart woman who uses her sharp and prickly demeanor to protect her soft core because even though it makes her a sucker and puts her at risk, she still believes in happily ever after.

Legion hails from FX Productions and Marvel Television, with FXP overseeing production. Hawley, who has an overall with FXP, will write the pilot and serve as an executive producer alongside Lauren Shuler Donner (X-Men: Days of Future Past,Wolverine), Bryan Singer (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Superman Returns), Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Martian) and Marvel Television topper Jeph Loeb (Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil) and Jim Chory (Daredevil). John Cameron is also on board as an exec producer, via his overall deal with FXP, marking his and Hawley's latest collaboration after Golden Globe-winning anthology Fargo. Production on Legion will begin in March.
Old 02-04-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Aubrey Plaza.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.