Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Marvel & Fox X-Men Live Action shows - "Hellfire" & "Legion"

Originally Posted by Deftones
Aubrey Plaza.
As a likeable optimist though?
Old 05-31-16, 05:08 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Days after X-Men: Apocalypse bowed in theaters, FX is bringing its own take on the franchise to the small screen.

The cabler has picked up Noah Hawley's X-Men take Legion to series with an eight-episode order, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The drama will debut in early 2017.

Legion introduces the story of David Haller (Downton Abbey's Dan Stevens), a man who may be more than human and who has struggled with mental illness since his teenage years. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he is confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real. In the comics, David is the son of X-Men founder Charles Xavier (aka Professor X) and Israeli Holocaust survivor Gabrielle Haller. The character first appeared in New Mutants No. 25 in March 1985.

Parks and Recreation's Aubrey Plaza will play Lenny, David's friend; Fargo grads Jean Smart and Rachel Keller will take on Melanie, a therapist, and a character rumored to be a mix of Rogue and Spyke, respectively.

“We’ve come to expect excellence from Noah Hawley and with Legion he has delivered another major creative achievement,” said FX original programming president Nick Grad. “Just as he did in reimagining Fargo, he is bringing an entirely new aesthetic and sensibility to the enormously popular and richly represented X-Men world. The pilot episode is stunning, driven by incredible performances from Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, Jean Smart, Rachel Keller and the rest of the cast. We join our producing partners at Marvel in congratulating the creative team for what they’ve accomplished and are as excited as the fans for the premiere of Legion’s first season.”

Legion hails from FX Productions and Marvel Television, with FXP overseeing production. Hawley, who has an overall deal with FXP, penned the pilot and executive produces alongside Lauren Shuler Donner (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Wolverine), Bryan Singer (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Superman Returns), Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Martian) and Marvel Television topper Jeph Loeb (Agents of SHIELD, Daredevil) and Jim Chory (Daredevil). John Cameron also is on board as an exec producer, via his overall deal with FXP, marking his and Hawley's latest collaboration after Golden Globe-winning anthology Fargo.

The news comes some seven months after FX ordered Legion to pilot and after X-Men: Apocalypse had a disappointing bow over the weekend at the box office (a soft $80 million).

Legion extends Marvel's small-screen empire. The comic book powerhouse also has ABC's Agents of SHIELD and multiple series at Netflix, including Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders and the Punisher spinoff. While ABC passed on a third season of Agent Carter and SHIELD spinoff Marvel's Most Wanted, Fox is still readying Hellfire.

FX becomes the latest network to turn to comics. AMC hit ratings gold with The Walking Dead, and The CW has found success with its DC Comics slate that now includes Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow. Fox, for its part, also has Batman prequel Gotham, and NBC has DC Comics' first comedy entry, Powerless, due midseason.

For Hawley, Legion joins FX's critical darling Fargo on its schedule and a drama lineup that also features American Horror Story, American Crime Story, The Americans, The Strain, Tyrant and the upcoming Ryan Murphy anthology Feud. On the pilot side, FX's lone drama awaiting word is John Singleton's redeveloped Snowfall.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...r_breakingnews
Old 07-23-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

1st trailer for Legion. X-Men show from the Producer and Creator of Fargo Noah Hawley. Co-Production with Marvel TV.

Premieres on FX in early 2017.
Old 07-23-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

1st trailer for Legion. X-Men show from the Producer and Creator of Fargo Noah Hawley. Co-Production with Marvel TV.

Premieres on FX in early 2017.
That looks pretty terrific.
Old 07-23-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks a lot better then I thought.
Old 08-25-16, 01:45 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Singer discussed Legion, which he is executive producing for FX, saying it is designed to be a series that is "part of the X-Men universe, but when you watched it, you wouldn't have to label it, it could exist completely on its own." He said it and another planned X-Men series "will relate to future X-Men movies." And he added it would feature a “really ambitious and fun and very unique storyline.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter
Old 08-25-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Legion is currently listed as a TV Movie on imdb for some reason. Weird.

Hopefully the mix of Singer (He was the EP of House) and Hawley will make for some solid TV.
Old 08-26-16, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

It's because Legion was originally ordered to pilot, and wasn't a for sure series yet, and IMDB always lists a pilot only as a TV movie, so I guess it just hasn't been updated since the series order. That always bugs me, a pilot that wasn't ordered to series isn't a TV movie, it's a TV series with just one episode.
Old 08-26-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: X-Men - live action TV series

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I'm a bit worried about superhero TV overload

as much as i personally love them all, i don't want to see a public backlash and them all vanishing from sight

I'd prefer to see fewer quality superhero tv shows
This trend will eventually just die out. Enjoy it while it's here. Last time this happened was 50 years ago. The height of the sixties sci-fi/action adventure was probably the 1966-67 season. That year alone

BATMAN
GREEN HORNET
STAR TREK
LOST IN SPACE
TIME TUNNEL
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
THE INVADERS
MAN FROM UNCLE
GIRL FROM UNCLE
WILD WILD WEST
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
THE AVENGERS
TARZAN
I SPY

And that was across just three networks, not the number we have now.
Old 08-26-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

These two series just seem like random stories being told from the universes created.... I personally don't really care to watch some show about some random people without powers in the world of X-MEN. Did we really run out of stories to be told about super heroes from Marvel that they felt they needed to introduce something like this? Why not do an actual X-MEN tv show? Doesn't even have to be about the main X-MEN, but at least a mutant we've heard of before, lol.
Old 12-05-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

New trailer for Legion. Premieres Wednesday February 8th:

Old 12-05-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
These two series just seem like random stories being told from the universes created.... I personally don't really care to watch some show about some random people without powers in the world of X-MEN. Did we really run out of stories to be told about super heroes from Marvel that they felt they needed to introduce something like this? Why not do an actual X-MEN tv show? Doesn't even have to be about the main X-MEN, but at least a mutant we've heard of before, lol.
I'm guessing it's to keep the budget reasonable. Most VFX, even with the money, requires a lot of preparation time and planning you don't really get with network television.
Old 12-05-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Is this officially tied to the Fox X-Men movies? Like Agents of Shield?
Old 12-06-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Is this officially tied to the Fox X-Men movies? Like Agents of Shield?
Yes, the main character played by Dan Stevens is the son of Charles Xavier.

It's mentioned in Post #77 that tells the premise of the show.
Old 12-07-16, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its actually sort of funny how little this ties into the X-Men, and, worst of all, FX's initial promotional angle.

I'm still a fairly decent X-comics fan, but the Legion saga/Age of Apocalypse was literally, precisely my entire introduction into comics period. It was the first stuff I really read and enjoyed, literally that September of 1994 month when Legion just so happened to be the big deal to end all big deals. Hell, one of the DC areas since out of business local comic franchises, Another Universe, even held a "funeral for Charles Xavier" event heralding the AoA one Saturday morning that had Fabien Nicieza and Scott Lobdell doling out signatures that I went to at age 9.

But, long story short, the first month of promos on TV I saw for this, I had zero realization this was X-related. The initial TV spots seemed to be focusing on the idea that this guy switched bodies with a woman or something like that... obviously, nothing at all related to/involving Legion/X-Men.

I didn't pay much heed to them at the time, because I didn't realize the relationship, but, likewise, don't believe I paid so little attention as to have been mistakenly so confused/incorrect. I dunno why their initial campaign seemed to revolve more around a gender bender switcharoo, rather than the Schizoid infinite personalities of one David Haller.

All the same, *as* a huge X-Fan, this is not possible as an anything short of being barely recognizable as X-anything. Even the comics have never been able to know what to do with David Haller: They backed themselves into a massively tight corner from the very beginning, with a difficult to write for character (who is literally entirely different every single second, having hundreds to thousands of different personalities, each one with a different set of mutant powers), but, even more importantly still, is so crazily overpowered that the comics had to write/kill him off quite quickly.

The dude, in the comics, owing to being Professor Xavier's kid, has such a level of powers that it almost makes the word God-like seem a massive underestimation. He can basically do anything and everything, up to and including rewriting reality at a whim/time travel. Franklin Richards x 1,000, and if Franklin Richards were totally off his rocker.

So, it's like the only way they can make this work is in name only - hey, everybody, it's the X-Men's beloved and incredibly well known favorite, Legion, now starring in his/her/their very own television series... because so very many of you demanded it so very much!

Much as others have commented already, this is absurd to produce as one of the very first live action X-Men televised productions ever. You've got a franchise with decades of history, hundreds of characters, thousands of stories, and you go with... David freaking Haller's Legion?!?

No bloody wonder the first promos I saw made me wonder why this series had the same name as the X-Men's Legion whilst being about two people who switch bodies. Fox/FX has to be just about as utterly daft as Legion themselves to have thought this made sense/green lit it for production. I'll tune in, but of course, but this'll either suck hard or else bear so little recognition to the comics & the X-Men as to truly be related "in name only."

God, all the options Fox had to choose from to finally get some live action, modern X-Men entertainment, and they chose Legion... wow.

And how the f***ing Hell do you have Charles Xavier's son without Charles Xavier? Or is Professor X going to be a regular (obviously, not going to happen.) Then... in the comics, it ain't that big of a deal as she's really always been a bit player, but thanks to the films, for the live action X-Universe Moira MacTaggert is one of the franchise's biggest stars, albeit still not as a mutant; but in the comics, Moira might as well be David's own mother in every way other than by blood... having raised/cared for/monitored David whilst he was catatonic at Muir Island for many, many years.

So, in other words, you simply cannot have the X-Comics David Haller/Legion done in contemporary live action without totally rewriting every aspect of the character's everything: No focus on Charles Xavier as the father. No revolving around Moira and Muir Island, where he was cared for while catatonic and studied both scientifically and medically. Essentially, every critical/defining aspect of the character's backstory and existence cannot take place in the current live action X-Franchise, what with Moira and Charles having such distinctive and dramatic roles to play in Legion's life+existence. And yet, without those, Legion might as well not exist in the comics: barely being a blip on the radar if not involving Xavier+Moira; genuinely as much a case of "in name only" as I could ever even dare to imagine.

This particular character is just particularly a massive set of landmines that make zero sense for having a television series revolving around. The word "Crazy", truly, should be this series tagline as the fictionalized embodiment of the word.

Last edited by Coladar1; 12-07-16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Its actually sort of funny how little this ties into the X-Men, and, worst of all, FX's initial promotional angle....
tl;dr version: A comic book fan is upset a live action adaptation isn't going to follow the comics.

For me, as someone who hasn't read X-Men, but only seen the movies, the name "Noah Hawley" is what's interested me most about this show. His work on the TV Fargo has been amazing, managing to both pay homage to the Coen Bros works while carving its own distinct path.

I also found the initial promos intriguing, although I knew based on the X-Men connection he likely wasn't just crazy. So I'm interested to see where this show goes and am cautiously optimistic.
Old 02-05-17, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I am a bit surprised that they don't play up the X Men connection in the commercials, or even have a Marvel teaser before it to link them.
Old 02-06-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

AV Club did a review of the first 3 episodes, gave it an A.

http://www.avclub.com/review/legion-...-superp-249662
Old 02-06-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Can we get this thread re-titled to be only about Legion?

It looks like Hellfire was cancelled:
http://io9.gizmodo.com/fox-cancels-h...sho-1783544738
http://screencrush.com/x-men-hellfir...x-explanation/
Old 02-06-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm also a comic fan, not as much any longer, but was around when Legion made his first appearance. I didn't think much of the character, other than what a nut job! I didn't read any of the more recent appearances, and I'm fine with that. I'm really interested in seeing this. I don't mind at all if the comic book history is not followed as I think the character might be more interesting if done right. And like Jay G. said, someone from Fargo is associated with this series, and that is very exciting! And I like Daniel Stevens though I still hold some anger towards him for his Downton Abbey choice!
Old 02-06-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The Legion character is a really minor character in the X-Men pantheon.

He's only had, from what I recall, a handful of appearances in the comics, though I think he's been used more recently. I only remember his arc from New Mutants in the mid-80s and a later appearance in X-Men in 1990 or so when Forge and Banshee put together that temporary X-Men team.

I would guess he's sort of a problematic character with a creepy past (Professor X having an affair with one of patients, a Holocaust survivor, and producing a bastard son), and nobody really knowing what to do with him.
Old 02-06-17, 09:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

I had no idea this was in X-Men universe. It just looked ok to me, but will check it out.
Old 02-06-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

100% Fresh after 22 reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/legion/s01/
Old 02-06-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Marvel & Fox - "Hellfire" & "Legion"

Old 02-07-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It sounds like Noah Hawley brought over everything that made Fargo S1/S2 work (quirky characters, not too serious tone, fluid storytelling) and applied it to X-men.