Old 10-14-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E01) -- "First Time Again" -- 10/11/15

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Nope. They are casting

Spoiler:
Negan
That was sarcasm. Our top villains all seem to be rehashes of the same characteristics.
Old 10-14-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As already stated several times....dumb ass plan. I can't believe I actually watched another ep. of nothing happening except stupidity. I feel stupid now.....
Old 10-14-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think FTWD really diminished the demand for this show.
FTWD had the highest-rated first season in cable history. I don't think DVD Talk is a realistic barometer for how people actually feel about that show.

I thought it was OK. But I think TWD is just okay too. My wife, however, loves both of them.
Old 10-14-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still confused on why they wasted so much time making a single file car area when they could have just started fortifying the area around Alexandria with those cars making it virtually impossible for walkers to get even close to the walls.
Old 10-14-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm still confused on why they wasted so much time making a single file car area when they could have just started fortifying the area around Alexandria with those cars making it virtually impossible for walkers to get even close to the walls.
I think the idea is to not have a huge buildup of walkers around the town in general.
Old 10-14-15, 03:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't one dude run away when Rick said they were starting? I ask because the plan was started early because that truck fell. Whoever blew the horn must have known they had moved up the schedule without warning. Either him or someone (Wolves) was watching them the whole time. I don't think anyone that stayed in Alexandria knew they were doing it then.
Old 10-14-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Rick has brought death and destruction to almost every location he has visited.
He is truly brings the wrath wherever he goes. I think the only location that him visiting didn't get destroyed was the old folk's home and the Hispanic survivors.
1). RV Camp
2). Herschel's farm
3). Prison
4). Woodbury
5). Terminus
6). Alexandria?

I don't think he is that great of a leader. A triumvirate consisting of Daryl, Carol and Michonne would be 1000x better.
Truth
Old 10-14-15, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

There have been several suggestions of burning the pit of zombies. I don't think that would work because:

It was a huge pit with a lot of zombies, you would need a crazy amount of fuel to burn that many.

And gasoline evaporates very quickly.
Old 10-15-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That... is a good point.
Old 10-15-15, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
There have been several suggestions of burning the pit of zombies. I don't think that would work because:

It was a huge pit with a lot of zombies, you would need a crazy amount of fuel to burn that many.

And gasoline evaporates very quickly.

A couple of Molotov cocktails would have spread that fire pretty easy since they were so close together. Burning zombie keeps walking and burns the guy next to them. Toss a lot more bottles into the mix and you have yourself one smelly ass giant burning pit.

Guess the only downside is that it probably would light up the trucks a bit. But that's not going to melt the entirely of what's holding them back and piles or burned corpse would quickly....

you know, I've already put too much thought into this stupid shit.

They probably should have just fortified that pit or blocked the roads out and kept letting them fall in.
Old 10-15-15, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

They need to get in out for supply runs.
They plan to live there the rest of their lives, eventually there would 100 times the number of zombies around the town.
Old 10-15-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

A couple of Molotov cocktails would have spread that fire pretty easy since they were so close together. Burning zombie keeps walking and burns the guy next to them. Toss a lot more bottles into the mix and you have yourself one smelly ass giant burning pit.
Plus they could also toss in other items before the Molotov cocktails that will catch fire and will help the flames to stick around longer... ie. wood/furniture, clothing, etc. The pit will become one massive bonfire.
Old 10-15-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

I think a sensible plan would be to systematically kill the walkers in the pit, gradually and safely over time. Fortify the bottlenecks that the big trailers were making so that you can let just a few through at a time, or poke 'em in the head with pikes from on top of the trailers or something like that. Work in shifts, be slow and careful, and eventually you'll have a pit full of dead walkers. Much better than letting a few thousand walkers loose into the countryside all at once.
Old 10-15-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Plus they could also toss in other items before the Molotov cocktails that will catch fire and will help the flames to stick around longer... ie. wood/furniture, clothing, etc. The pit will become one massive bonfire.
Yeah, just catapult some furniture into the herd. Pottery Barn stuff launches especially well.
Old 10-15-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I always wondered why the zombie universe never simply goes zombie-hunting. I'd be out clearing lands 12 hours a day. Maybe they'll address that at some point.
Old 10-15-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seemed like they used to go on hunts before. Typically Michone and Daryl using weapons that didn't require once and done ammo.
Old 10-15-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rw2516
They need to get in out for supply runs.
They plan to live there the rest of their lives, eventually there would 100 times the number of zombies around the town.

Which they still could, if they set it up properly. I'm not saying to lock themselves completely in, But you can easily make it so that you fortify your walls and still have access to get in and out.
Old 10-15-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm with King Smoth. The plan was the best they could do.

Fortify the walls more? Yes, they need it, but if a horde that size got loose they would eventually level everything in their path. As was also pointed out, the Alexandrians need to be able to get out safely. Leaving a threat of that size in the area would be silly.

Killing them one by one? I like the idea of throttling a choke point, but that was too big of a group to even kid yourself into thinking you could shut down the flow control in that "tight" environment.

Burning them? I'm not convinced that would work unless you had air support to drop napalm. (Or nuke them from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.) I think you guys are seriously underestimating the size of that rock quarry. Sure, you could start lobbing fire in there and hope it works in a month or two. I think it has been shown that fire is not a quick kill. Actually, has it been shown to be a kill at all? Besides, the smoke would be a draw to any "enemy" factions in the area.

To me, the quarry was the answer. Blow the sides of the quarry and cave it in. Or at least the entrances. (Yes, major sound and noise though.)

I think they should have found a giant wheel of cheese and rolled it down into the quarry.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 10-15-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was tired (and possibly drunk) while watching this...did they ever say where they were planning on leading the herd?
Old 10-15-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
I was tired (and possibly drunk) while watching this...did they ever say where they were planning on leading the herd?
I just assumed Oz.

As for fire working, apparently some of you don't have a lot of experience with fire (or at least burning down a whole field while trying to light firecrackers as a kid). Those zombies are close to each other. As someone else stated, a few well-placed Malakov Cocktails would take out that whole area with little fuel usage (we can even sacrifice lighter fluid instead of gasoline).

It's valid to point out the huge fire would have had some adverse results, but I'd still have done it and took my chance with THOSE things rather than of a horde of freed zombies.

Just to recap the image...
Spoiler:

Jackskeleton: But that's not going to melt the entirely of what's holding them back and piles or burned corpse would quickly....

you know, I've already put too much thought into this stupid shit.
Winnah.
Old 10-16-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'm with King Smoth. The plan was the best they could do.
I don't agree. Your idea was better...

To me, the quarry was the answer. Blow the sides of the quarry and cave it in. Or at least the entrances. (Yes, major sound and noise though.)
Blast the entrances so that it is literally a pit. Drop a loudspeaker in the pit to draw any stragglers in the area into the pit. Occasionally launch a few sticks of dynamite to blast some of the herd.
Old 10-16-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Which they still could, if they set it up properly. I'm not saying to lock themselves completely in, But you can easily make it so that you fortify your walls and still have access to get in and out.
They've clearly shown they don't know how to do this...
Old 10-16-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
I don't agree. Your idea was better...

Blast the entrances so that it is literally a pit. Drop a loudspeaker in the pit to draw any stragglers in the area into the pit. Occasionally launch a few sticks of dynamite to blast some of the herd.
Well thank you! (I was hoping you meant the wheel of cheese, but I'll take it.) I get sracer on my team when the zombie apocalypse happens.

Mikah, I've seen fields burn but we're not talking about dead and dried up corn stalks. I'm trying to think back to Terminus; that is the only time I remember seeing flaming zombies. Did fire kill any of them? If you could get the flames hot enough, it would eventually incinerate the body, but it would not be quick (or easy to stoke a fire of that intensity on that grand of a scale). They may seem dried up, but there is still plenty of fluid left in there.

I guess it is a difference of opinion, but I think posting the image shows just why burning them would not work. It boils down to whether or not the zombie's bodies are a viable fuel source for the flames. I don't think they are. A quick Google search on cremation indicates it takes between 1 to 4 hours of constant, intense flames (1400 to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit) to cremate a body.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 10-16-15 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-16-15, 12:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Loudspeaker? There's no electricity.
Old 10-16-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I don't think they are. A quick Google search on cremation indicates it takes between 1 to 4 hours of constant, intense flames (1400 to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit) to cremate a body.
You wouldn't need to cremate the walkers - they don't need to be turned into ash... just need to burn up their skin and organs so all that's left is their skeleton. And like I said earlier, to help the fire last longer - throw anything that can burn for a while into the pit (ie. wood - they're surrounded by trees after all) and then light up the Molotov cocktails. Monster bonfire.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.