TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Comedy Central) -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Comedy Central) -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by TheBang
That's not true, actually. During Jon Stewart's halcyon years, the show was regularly bringing in 1.5-1.6 million viewers. After an initial dip when Trevor Noah took over, he was still able to achieve numbers in the 1.5 million range early in the Trump years, and was still pulling 1.2 million viewers in 2019. But since Trump left office, ratings have declined precipitously. I'm not sure if it was COVID, or the extended summer break he took in 2021, or being the last show to bring back a live studio audience, but he started 2021 still pulling in about 500-600K viewers, and now it's down to about 300-400K viewers: https://twitter.com/search?q=late%20...d_query&f=live

And yes, the cable landscape is much different than it was 7 years ago, but it's not just the total numbers, it's also in relation to the other shows. This year, he was near the bottom of the late night list, only regularly outperforming the recently-cancelled Full Frontal.

I think it's no coincidence that his contract is up at the end of this year. Given the ratings slide over the last couple years, I bet Comedy Central probably encouraged him to "pursue his other interests" rather than renew his contract.
Were those new shows or repeats? Honestly, I haven't watched the Daily Show as much as I used to in recent years but it has more to do with being fatigued about politics and not finding funny what Trump and his goons have done to this country. What I mean by this is that I feel that what's going on in this country went from somewhat funny to completely serious and scary in real life.

Also, how in the hell is Gutfeld first in ratings? There's nothing funny on that show and this isn't because they lean to hard right wing comedy. It's because the guy and his panel are funny at all.
The following users liked this post:
rduncan (10-16-22)
Old 09-30-22, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Because there are like 5-6 Late Night Shows that are just doing Spoonfed "Jokes" for Lib Boomers/Gen X'ers and Gutfeld has the entire lane for himself to Pander to Older Conservatives. Also shocked to see Trevor Noah quit,late night money is pretty good and easy,it's a once in a lifetime bag .
Old 09-30-22, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Were those new shows or repeats?
Those are new shows. The guy making those charts on Twitter doesn't rank anything that is showing repeats.

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Also shocked to see Trevor Noah quit,late night money is pretty good and easy,it's a once in a lifetime bag .
The more I think about it, given the timing of the end of his contract and the big drop in ratings, the more I think CC didn't renew his contract, but is allowing Trevor to present it as "his choice" to leave.

These articles confirm the same ratings numbers I determined up above:
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/09/3...-noah-as-host/
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...-show-90797554

This one talks about the bad ratings, but also discusses it in the larger context of late night shows' viewership declines in the streaming age:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisad...h=3626723f6c15

Last edited by TheBang; 09-30-22 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-30-22, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

CC has next to nothing original left. South Park airs 8 episodes a year but tons of movies on Paramount+. They sold off the other shows to HBO. They cancelled Tosh after renewing it for 4 more seasons.

is Aquafina the only original show they have left?

This might be the end of TDS.
Old 10-01-22, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Now they will find a new host and make it a Paramount + exclusive and make you pay extra to watch it
Old 10-03-22, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Back when The Daily Show was at its peak, it was one few comedy/politics show on TV. Now every late night host attempts it and Last Week Tonight seems closer in spirit to old TDS.
Old 10-03-22, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We never got attached to Trevor like we did Jon. We started coming around in the last year, just in time for him to leave.

But we like John Oliver, he's got the sass and the intelligence (and writers) to clarify issues pretty well.
Old 10-03-22, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
We never got attached to Trevor like we did Jon. We started coming around in the last year, just in time for him to leave.

But we like John Oliver, he's got the sass and the intelligence (and writers) to clarify issues pretty well.
I don’t think Oliver would work nearly as well without being able to have an R-rated show like he does at HBO.
Deadman31 (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

He's now tapping Duo Lipa. My hero!
Old 10-03-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I don’t think Oliver would work nearly as well without being able to have an R-rated show like he does at HBO.
Oliver did alright in his short guest host stint on The Daily Show when Jon Stewart took off to shoot his movie Rosewater. I think Oliver is definitely happier where he is right now, but he probably would've been fine.
Old 10-03-22, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
CC has next to nothing original left. South Park airs 8 episodes a year but tons of movies on Paramount+. They sold off the other shows to HBO. They cancelled Tosh after renewing it for 4 more seasons.

is Aquafina the only original show they have left?

This might be the end of TDS.
When Tosh.0 got unexpectedly cancelled, the reasoning behind it was that CC was going to change their programing to more of a cartoon comedy channel, with South Park being the anchor and other shows being developed. Then the pandemic happened and CC acquired the rights to Seinfeld reruns and their plans went to shit. CC is now all reruns, nothing original with the exception of South Park, TDS and some random shows here and there. They don't seem to even do comedy specials anymore. Its like CC just became another MTV, MTV2,VH1, just showing reruns almost 24/7
Old 10-03-22, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He's now tapping Duo Lipa. My hero!

Tough life for him

I would stay with Minka Kelly
Old 10-03-22, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
When Tosh.0 got unexpectedly cancelled, the reasoning behind it was that CC was going to change their programing to more of a cartoon comedy channel, with South Park being the anchor and other shows being developed. Then the pandemic happened and CC acquired the rights to Seinfeld reruns and their plans went to shit. CC is now all reruns, nothing original with the exception of South Park, TDS and some random shows here and there. They don't seem to even do comedy specials anymore. Its like CC just became another MTV, MTV2,VH1, just showing reruns almost 24/7
South Park is like 8 episodes a season now while Paramount+ gets a few movies...

CC is wrapping things up. It'll dafe away like the TBT/TNT/USA which is mostly syndicated stuff.
Old 10-05-22, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Are there any other daily shows in the vein of TDS (comedic news), whether on TV or streaming somewhere? I rely too much on TDS for news, so if they go away I really should find another source. I do watch Oliver, and did watch Bee, but they were both weekly.
I guess I could start watching the monologue on Colbert on Seth Myers. I just can't watch full episodes of the network late night shows.
Old 10-05-22, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
John Oliver was great as substitute, while Jon Stewart was directing his first movie. That's probably the reason why HBO snatched him up, after Stewart's return. I'm pretty sure, Oliver would have taken over, if Stewart had decided to leave then and there. I always watched Stewart and Colbert, but I stopped when Noah took over. I tried to get into Larry Wilmore's short lived show, but that wasn't any good.
Old 10-08-22, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hasan Minaj if he was interested would be a great choice as the new host.
Bronkster (10-10-22)
Old 10-09-22, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Hasan Minaj if he was interested would be a great choice as the new host.
I miss his Patriot Act show. His new Netflix special The King's Jester is pretty good.
Old 10-09-22, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish it was still on or he could get a new show
Old 10-09-22, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It’s more about the reporting on unique subjects. Their delivery is fine. But yes John Oliver and Hasan both have good material.

Vice does some similar reporting on otherwise unreported stories.

The news we get on cable is acceptable for what it is. It is important to have reporters holding politicians accountable and having White House access. But for example we have little idea what life in Ukraine is like right now. There’s tens of thousands of untold stories that nobody is paying to have told. Small time YouTubers actually fill a pretty good void.
Old 10-10-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trevor answers audience questions about his decision to leave:

Old 10-15-22, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Are there any other daily shows in the vein of TDS (comedic news), whether on TV or streaming somewhere? I rely too much on TDS for news, so if they go away I really should find another source. I do watch Oliver, and did watch Bee, but they were both weekly.
I guess I could start watching the monologue on Colbert on Seth Myers. I just can't watch full episodes of the network late night shows.
I never miss Seth Meyers' "A Closer Look." He completely turned his show around when he stopped doing a stand-up monologue and sat at his desk like Weekend Update. I actually find Seth to be my favorite of the talk shows now after a not so great start. He's really found his voice.
The following 3 users liked this post by JTH182:
Jay G. (10-16-22), joltman (10-16-22), story (10-15-22)
Old 10-16-22, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182
I never miss Seth Meyers' "A Closer Look." He completely turned his show around when he stopped doing a stand-up monologue and sat at his desk like Weekend Update. I actually find Seth to be my favorite of the talk shows now after a not so great start. He's really found his voice.
Yeah, I watch Seth Meyers's monologue and A Closer Look on Youtube. A Closer Look is only 3 times a week though, and the monologue is more joke delivery than getting into detail on the day's news. I mostly watch the monologues so I'm not lost when watching Corrections.

To add to the weekly show offerings though, The Amber Ruffin Show. starring a writer for Seth Meyers as well as staffing many of his writers, is good, especially the "How did we get here" segments, which are like a lighter John Oliver deep drive.

Also, on Youtube, I like Some More News, which does really deep dives, but also the subjects of those deep drives tend to be more topical than John Oliver's, covering something related to what was in the news the past few weeks. Their shows tend to run long, often near an hour, although they're shorter if you skip through the paid promotions segments (you can distinguish them in the thumbnail previews while FF due to the border around them). Here's a recent, rather shorter show:

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
joltman (10-16-22), majorjoe23 (11-27-22)
Old 11-25-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trevor's last day at the Daily Show is Dec. 8. The Hollywood Reporter has an interesting, in-depth feature on his decision to leave the Daily Show:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ow-1235265367/

He was not kicked out due to ratings (as I had speculated). In fact, he had just signed a new 2-year contract with Comedy Central in June. The feature talks about his decision to leave from his point of view, from the network's, and from the staff too.
Old 11-27-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Yeah, I watch Seth Meyers's monologue and A Closer Look on Youtube. A Closer Look is only 3 times a week though, and the monologue is more joke delivery than getting into detail on the day's news. I mostly watch the monologues so I'm not lost when watching Corrections.

To add to the weekly show offerings though, The Amber Ruffin Show. starring a writer for Seth Meyers as well as staffing many of his writers, is good, especially the "How did we get here" segments, which are like a lighter John Oliver deep drive.

Also, on Youtube, I like Some More News, which does really deep dives, but also the subjects of those deep drives tend to be more topical than John Oliver's, covering something related to what was in the news the past few weeks. Their shows tend to run long, often near an hour, although they're shorter if you skip through the paid promotions segments (you can distinguish them in the thumbnail previews while FF due to the border around them). Here's a recent, rather shorter show:

Yeah, I like "Some more News." I haven't watched Amber Ruffin, even though I like her on Seth Meyers, because I usually forget Peacock is a thing lol.
Old 11-28-22, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182
Yeah, I like "Some more News." I haven't watched Amber Ruffin, even though I like her on Seth Meyers, because I usually forget Peacock is a thing lol.
The bulk of her show is released on Youtube the next day as a series of clips:
https://www.youtube.com/@TheAmberRuffinShow

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.