TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Quantico (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Priyanka Chopra

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
re: Quantico (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Priyanka Chopra

Sneezy or sleazy?!

I felt like this went downhill as the hour went on. It didn't start off well at all by starting in the middle of the story. Would have played better if it opened cold with her running.

They absolutely must have pitched this as Grey's Anatomy meets spy world. Not only did the young group of trainees comes through the ranks mirror the beginning of Grey's, but the instructor speech was a weak facsimile of the opening speech the chief gives in the Grey's pilot.

I didn't catch the line from the twins about working for the boss. I did pick up they were twins a good 15 minutes before the reveal. My uses is either on the blonde orphan, or the guy who is a kid of two agents. They'll both blame the US or the agency for having crappy childhoods and losing their parents; in turn sympathizing for a terrorist group.

I also agree the episode felt very rushed and chopped up. It literally felt like portions were left on the cutting room floor that would have at least given a glimpse into the background on more of the trainees. Also convenient that the class is 50, and the focus is on a handful.

We'll record a few episodes and either wait for a fall lull, or to hear about word of mouth but this currently won't be on our regular rotation.

Last edited by Superman07; 09-28-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 05:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the Grey's Anatomy comparison is valid and laughable at times.

I watched the 1st two seasons of Grey's with my wife, then stopped because I remembered I had a penis, but that scene with them all sitting next to the pool reminiscing and being all emo bitches was nearly identical to a scene in Grey's first season in a hospital hallway.
Old 09-29-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't care for this, I felt like I was looking at an ll bean catalog, everyone is so damn good looking...

Gonna stick with blind spot and limitless as my two new procedurals for now...
Old 09-29-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I don't know if this show will be very good but if you like girls, do an image search for Priyanka Chopra. (Holy Crap is she beautiful!!!)

Yes! I caught her in something called Teri Meri Kahaani. Was flipping by and she immediately caught my attention.

I wasn't planning on watching this as it seems absurd to have Quantico filled with beautiful people, but (hypocritically) may give it a trial viewing knowing she's in it.
Old 09-29-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I think he's not actually gay.
Thread over, you've just blown the mid-season plot twist.

I was liking this pilot a great deal until the flurry of reveals in the last five or ten minutes. Those revelations should have been saved for a later episode. I'll keep watching since I think the cast has room to grow. I do worry about the needlessly complex storytelling going forward.
Old 09-29-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I think he's not actually gay.
It would explain why he doesn't seem to put out.
Old 09-29-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

DJariya,

How do you decide which shows get season threads (like Quantico , Muppets) and which get episode threads (like Minority Report, Blindspot)?

Just wondering. It seems like series threads are more efficient.
Old 09-29-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
DJariya,

How do you decide which shows get season threads (like Quantico , Muppets) and which get episode threads (like Minority Report, Blindspot)?

Just wondering. It seems like series threads are more efficient.
It's basically a combination of time, the amount of content on air each night, the type of content the show is and realistically the amount of attention the show may get/will get here. Comedies just don't have weekly discussion value anymore IMO.

There's a lot of content that airs every night, especially on Sunday. Myself and dex14, the moderator, realized that there is simply no way that most shows will get talked about, let alone watched every night. So, that's why you're seeing some new shows as season threads, especially comedies.

Specifically with Quantico, it seems like a pretty heavily serialized show that will/may have good discussion on the show and theories. However, knowing the type of audience in this forum and their regular viewing habits, I'm not sure it will get watched right away every Sunday, let alone talked about. Hell, the most popular show on cable, The Walking Dead, premieres on Sunday in 2 weeks and that alone will eat up most of the discussion. There's no rhyme or reason for some of these shows. I used to do more episode specific threads in the past and many would get ignored, especially after the audience in this forum started declining. So, I need to make changes so that I'm not wasting my time. But as you can probably tell, the geeky stuff tends to get more discussion as opposed to others.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-29-15 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That, and the fact he keeps announcing "I'm gay" especially to hot women. I have never heard actual gay guys say that.
Old 09-30-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I have mixed feelings about the pilot.

I like to story so far. However, I didn't like the split timelines. Some of the music and style of the the scenes made the show seem less serious than it should be.

I imagine if this show/plot was in the hands of the "24" team (Cassar, Gordon, Katz, etc), it would be more serious and executed better.

I think the blonde girl is the mole.
Old 09-30-15, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I think this is the mole

Spoiler:
Old 09-30-15, 05:03 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not bad but a bit all over the place, some good characters and actors, some so so
Old 09-30-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

They absolutely must have pitched this as Grey's Anatomy meets spy world. Not only did the young group of trainees comes through the ranks mirror the beginning of Grey's, but the instructor speech was a weak facsimile of the opening speech the chief gives in the Grey's pilot.
Hit the nail on the head here.

I too missed that she knew about the twins. I guess I found it very believable that the FBI would be terrible and background checks and security.
Old 09-30-15, 05:10 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's obvious the arab twins aren't the terrorists, stupid obvious misdirect which is a bit insulting to the viewers
Old 09-30-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
It's obvious the arab twins aren't the terrorists, stupid obvious misdirect which is a bit insulting to the viewers
20-25% of potential US viewers assumed the character was a terrorist as soon as she appeared wearing a hijab
Old 10-01-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

There isn't a soul alive that believes ABC would broadcast a network drama about a terrorist attack on New York City with a Muslim as the perpetrator.
Old 10-02-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I couldn't get past the random sex with a stranger who later turns out to be a colleague. Straight out of Grey's Anatomy episode 1. I'm out.
Old 10-02-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I couldn't get past the random sex with a stranger who later turns out to be a colleague. Straight out of Grey's Anatomy episode 1. I'm out.
It wasn't completely random though, right? He already knew who she was as he was assigned to spy on her.
Old 10-02-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

It wasn't a random encounter. That agent is working undercover and investigating Alex under the order of the Asst. director of Quantico. It was revealed later in the episode, unless you turned it off beforehand.
Old 10-02-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It wasn't a random encounter. That agent is working undercover and investigating Alex under the order of the Asst. director of Quantico. It was revealed later in the episode, unless you turned it off beforehand.
I did.
Old 10-02-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for Pilots you start off with, "That sounds interesting," and go down (or, rarely, up) from there. I didn't know a lot about Quantico, but in tuning in to sample it, it didn't immediately turn me off with the exception of all the jump edits to add a sense of excitement. I find jump edits irritating... like it's targeted to 12 year olds with ADD. I'm in for at least another week.
Old 10-02-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

I did.
See there you go. You made an incomplete assumption without seeing the whole thing through.
Old 10-02-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There isn't a soul alive that believes ABC would broadcast a network drama about a terrorist attack on New York City with a Muslim as the perpetrator.
I was thinking the same thing the minute I saw a feature on the series before a movie recently. However, they will make a Mormon the class nutjob who had an affair with an under-aged girl (did he get her pregnant, too?) while doing his Mission work and then cracks under pressure and shoots someone before committing suicide.
Old 10-03-15, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's his gay twin that he's hiding.

I expected most of the cast to look like CW models...pretty standard these days...so that isn't a deal-breaker just because it's so unrealistic (although, like 007 above, the anonymous sex scene with the guy who ends up being her fellow enrollee was just and soooo formula).

Likewise, the cover-every-base casting (gender/sexual identity/race/religion) is pretty much a required thing for these shows (as with the minority authority figure).

The plot just didn't grab me. Rather than Homeland, I was reminded more of The Blacklist...which, without Spader, would also be kinda meh.

May give it a few more looks, but with Bastard X, Walking Dead, Fargo, Am. Horror, The Knick, and other more plot-driven shows (with more interesting characters) either just beginning or on the horizon, don't know that this one will make the viewing schedule. Hate to say it, but even Blood & Oil (predictable as it is) was a better guilty pleasure for me.

Still, hard to judge from one episode. I thought Minority Report improved in second episode. Still, I don't get the critical buzz for Quantico at this point.
Old 10-03-15, 01:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWilson
I was thinking the same thing the minute I saw a feature on the series before a movie recently. However, they will make a Mormon the class nutjob who had an affair with an under-aged girl (did he get her pregnant, too?) while doing his Mission work and then cracks under pressure and shoots someone before committing suicide.
In fairness, they did leave out the part where he cut off her head with a dull knife.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.