Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Blood & Oil (ABC) -- S: Don Johnson -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/27/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Blood & Oil (ABC) -- S: Don Johnson -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/27/15

BILLY AND CODY LEFEVER HOPE TO STRIKE IT RICH BUT ARE PITTED AGAINST A RUTHLESS TYCOON, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "BLOOD & OIL," SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27

Guest starring is Barry Corbin as Clifton Lundegren

"Pilot" - Billy and Cody Lefever are a young, recently married couple with dreams bigger than their working-class upbringing. Following the largest oil discovery in American history, they pack up and move from their small city to the boomtown of Rock Springs, North Dakota, where a millionaire is made every day. Intent on tapping into this explosion of wealth, they set out to start their own business, which they've financed with every penny to their name. After a rough start, Billy becomes increasingly eager to cash in on this modern day gold rush. When he tries his hand in the oil business, he crosses paths with the baron of the Bakken, Hap Briggs and his equally powerful wife, Carla, as they embark on expanding their empire into new territory. But tangling with titans is not for the faint of heart and when Billy bets big, it causes Cody to question his intentions, and ultimately their marriage, on the series premiere of "Blood & Oil," airing SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (9:00-10:01 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

"Blood & Oil" stars Don Johnson as Hap Briggs, Chace Crawford as Billy Lefever, Rebecca Rittenhouse as Cody Lefever, Scott Michael Foster as Wick Briggs, Amber Valletta as Carla Briggs, India De Beaufort as Jules Jackman, Adan Canto as AJ Menendez, Miranda Mayo as Lacey Briggs and Delroy Lindo as Tip Harrison.

"Pilot" was written by Josh Pate and Rodes Fishburne and directed by Jonas Pate.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adan Canto as AJ
· Amber Valletta as Carla
· Chace Crawford as Billy
· Delroy Lindo as Tip
· Don Johnson as Hap
· India de Beaufort as Jules
· Miranda Rae Mayo as Lacey
· Rebecca Rittenhouse as Cody
· Scott Michael Foster as Wick

This is from the Executive Producer/Showrunner of Dallas (new version) and the Executive Producer of Dirty Sexy Money. Johnson is also a credited EP.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2dV3HaglFqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-27-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blood & Oil (ABC) -- S: Don Johnson -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/27/15

I liked it. Very enjoyable - the hour flew by. I wasn't expecting much from this but I am in for the season.
Old 09-28-15, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I like the young couple a great deal as series leads and Don Johnson is always fun on a show. It was a decent pilot that should have been expanded to two hours. They had to make several jumps in the edit to fit the entire story in one hour. They rushed it to set-up that final scene.

Now we know why Leo left Chasing Life...

On a minor side note, this was some of the worst broadcast HD video I've seen from network television in many years. It practically looked SD at times with some sort of defocus filter applied most of the time. Unless they shot this show on a camcorder, they are heavily covering up for Don Johnson and Amber Valletta.
Old 09-28-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
On a minor side note, this was some of the worst broadcast HD video I've seen from network television in many years. It practically looked SD at times with some sort of defocus filter applied most of the time. Unless they shot this show on a camcorder, they are heavily covering up for Don Johnson and Amber Valletta.
NCIS seems to be doing something like this too.
Old 09-30-15, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Just got to this tonight.

I agree with Jadzia. Really surprised how much I enjoyed this. The show kind of reminded me of some 80's nighttime soaps, but more a little more grounded.

Billy and Cody (Crawford and Rittenhouse) are very likable lead characters and I like how Don Johnson is integrated as the patriarch of a Big Oil company. Scott Michael Foster is very believable playing the spoiled rich kid. My only complaints are highlighted by Phantomstranger. They crammed in a lot of plot for 45 minutes and the editing felt off in some scenes. There was some odd jumps in time. And yes, the HD was pretty bad. I was impressed with Billy's gamble to raise the money for that land. That could have easily blown up in his face.

I have a feeling the early cut of the Pilot was much longer and they had to make a lot of edits to make air for ABC. I didn't realize that North Dakota is such a happening place for the Oil industry.

Sundays are an awful night for many network shows because they are competing directly with Sunday Night football. Hopefully this finds an audience. But I think this could be a fun soap opera if it lasts.

BTW, it was nice seeing Barry Corbin again (Whitey from One Tree Hill) Looks like from his IMDB profile he's still getting a lot of work.
Old 09-30-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. I thought the promos for it looked terrible. Definitely made it seem like a Dallas clone. I liked the show. Defintiely agree that they crammed too much into the hour. I'll stick with it for the time being. I can already see Billy becoming the son that Hap wishes Wick was. And Cody is pregnant already. Added drama.
Old 09-30-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Making her pregnant in the pilot was a dramatic overreach. There was no real reason to throw that in on top of everything else going on. I have a feeling the producers plotted out three or four of the first episodes and ABC told them to compress that entire plot into one pilot.
Old 10-21-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from loving the pilot to barely being able to stay awake the last few episodes. I finally just deleted the season pass. Sounds like it's not doing great in the ratings either.
Old 10-21-15, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I went from loving the pilot to barely being able to stay awake the last few episodes. I finally just deleted the season pass. Sounds like it's not doing great in the ratings either.

Haven't watched Sunday's episode yet, but I've kept up with it and have liked it. It's almost like Dallas, but not as over the top.

I know it's not doing that great on Sunday's with all the competition. Hopefully at least the original 13 episodes order airs.
Old 10-21-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've actually enjoyed it more than that Dallas reboot. It's solid soapy fun with a decent cast.