Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fresh off the Boat (ABC) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fresh off the Boat (ABC) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/22/15

It's kind of weird how it seems like the show goes out of its way to make Eddie the least interesting character.

There's probably at lest 10 regular/semi-regular characters better than him
Old 04-04-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

They really shifted away from him when Eddie Huang stopped supporting the show. It seems like Lewis and Jessica are far and away the main focus at this point.
Old 04-04-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 952 Likes on 726 Posts

I saw that coming a year ago
Old 05-12-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

" Puberty hits hard and fast, like a large soda halfway through 'Schindler's List' "
Old 05-17-16, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should have made that the season finale, as it was hilarious. And they're not just relying on Chinese-family-in-America jokes. When they kicked that kid out of elementary school graduation because he got a D on his art project, I nearly pissed myself laughing.
Old 05-18-16, 12:24 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Constance Wu has Jessica nailed. Fcking love her

[jessica deadpanning] "really? Think about how many people I love. Do the math. Have your brothers help you do the math."

The Eddie actor is clearly the weak link. His timing and inflections are terrible, even compared to the two little bros
Old 05-18-16, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It may seem like a minor point, but I thought it was very creative that Allison came up with the idea of sending the Chinese impostor to Eddie's house. In normal sitcom scripts, it would be Eddie's hare-brained scheme, and he'd spend the episode dancing around the lie. Instead, the protagonist (Eddie) is just as unaware as to what's going on as everyone else, and it was a different take on a tired sitcom plot.
Old 05-18-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff;12804742[B
]It may seem like a minor point, but I thought it was very creative that Allison came up with the idea of sending the Chinese impostor to Eddie's house. In normal sitcom scripts, it would be Eddie's hare-brained scheme,[/B] and he'd spend the episode dancing around the lie. Instead, the protagonist (Eddie) is just as unaware as to what's going on as everyone else, and it was a different take on a tired sitcom plot.
I liked that too. Last night's episode was pretty fun and I like the youngest boy's bond with the grandmother which played out well in a previous episode about names.
Old 05-25-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So yeah, I stick to my original thought that last week's episode should have been the season finale. This sudden introduction of Louis' brother, the taking of the mom back to Taiwan, was all a bit contrived (and personally, I thought there should have been a joke where they questioned why the mom gave birth to two Korean boys).

Although I did like Evan's quip about Chris Rock not making an Asian joke, an obvious reference to the Oscars controversy. Kudos to ABC, the network who telecasts the Oscars, to keep that joke in.
Old 05-25-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
It may seem like a minor point, but I thought it was very creative that Allison came up with the idea of sending the Chinese impostor to Eddie's house. In normal sitcom scripts, it would be Eddie's hare-brained scheme, and he'd spend the episode dancing around the lie. Instead, the protagonist (Eddie) is just as unaware as to what's going on as everyone else, and it was a different take on a tired sitcom plot.
Just watched this episode and loved it. The chinese girlfriend thing is something that rings home for me, so I particularly enjoyed it.
Old 07-06-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,646 Posts

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/huangs-world

This is sort of related to Fresh off the Boat.

If you any of you get Viceland, the new channel owned by Vice. There's a weekly 1 hour travel show hosted by the real Eddie Huang.

I checked out 2 episodes on demand (Taiwan and China) and it's pretty good. Eddie is both funny and sarcastic. You also get to meet the real Jessica and Louis Huang. They accompany Eddie in a few episodes.

Here's the trailer for the Taiwan episode.

He's kind of a hipper and snarkier Anthony Bourdain.

If you don't get Vice, there are some episodes on YouTube (not official uploads though)
Old 08-02-16, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,646 Posts

Just finished season 2 off Hulu tonight. I think the show got better and funnier without Eddie Huang's involvement and narration. As mentioned above it seems like Louis and Jessica became more of the leads of show with little Eddie being a supporting character.

Was surprised at the cliffhanger with the family going to Taiwan with Louis chasing his brother.

Also, pleasantly surprised that ABC is actually letting them film the season premiere in Taiwan.

http://tvline.com/2016/07/25/fresh-o...emiere-taiwan/

Apparently it's being filmed this week.
Old 08-07-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I finished watching S2 in a couple of days and I have to admit that the first couple of episodes felt weird without the narration but the season got really strong afterward. The kid playing Eddie is not as strong as the rest of the cast but he doesn't have to be when everyone else is really strong including the kids playing his friends. That redhead friend of Eddie kills me along with Evan. The youngest brother is both cute and creepy at the same time. The lice, Janet Jackson and the PTA episodes were the highlight of the season. The season finale was a letdown especially with Ken Jeong in it.

Looking forward to S3...
Old 08-07-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

BTW, I had to explain the music references that the show uses to my fiancée as she's not familiar with the genre. She did not get the Wu-Tang symbol in Evans room or Eddie ripping off "Dear Mama" off Tupac for example.