The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 9 Thread - Premieres 9/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 9 Thread - Premieres 9/21/15

Originally Posted by stopgap
Le sigh
Le sigh that people are still talking about this. This episode takes place one day after the final episode of the last season. Sorry her hair didn't grow out quicker.
Old 09-22-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
All of a sudden Stuart is a PUA, Sheldon is an MRA, and the show has turned into a soap opera. It's weird.
What the fug does that all mean?
Old 09-22-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,103 Likes on 799 Posts

PUA is pick up artist

MRA is men's rights activist?
Old 09-22-15, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 333 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Le sigh that people are still talking about this. This episode takes place one day after the final episode of the last season. Sorry her hair didn't grow out quicker.
Kaley was on Fallon the other night and yes, she's growing out her hair. Millions rejoice!

Old 09-22-15, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Yeah, could have been me. And I still totally disagree. But since the Penny/Sheldon dynamic also works on a platonic friend level it's likely they just keep that going.
Probably, I don't recall anyone else agreeing with you. I think its been completely clear that Penny and Sheldon is nothing more then platonic. Hell, Leonard/Amy rarely do much together at all let alone make allude to a better connection between them.
Old 09-22-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Kaley was on Fallon the other night and yes, she's growing out her hair. Millions rejoice!

YouTube Link
She's the cover girl of some fashion or fitness magazine where I work, and she has the short hair there. She's also showing some skin, so hopefully some soccer mom won't complain about it...
Old 09-23-15, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She's the cover girl of some fashion or fitness magazine
big pic
Spoiler:
Old 09-23-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's the one.
Old 09-23-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts

She's the cover girl of some fashion or fitness magazine where I work, and she has the short hair there.
I think you're forgetting how much shorter it was a year ago. See here. I'd say the magazine shows a medium length for her.
Old 09-25-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,283 Likes on 733 Posts

Kaley is back on the market.
Old 09-25-15, 11:26 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Kaley is back on the market.
Reported by highly respected and well regarded news source: the CNN!!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/25/entert...rss_topstories

Can't say I'm surprised. She seems to have a very strong attitude problem. It surfaces time and time again on the show.
Old 09-26-15, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 951 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Can't say I'm surprised. She seems to have a very strong attitude problem. It surfaces time and time again on the show.
I don't follow celebrity gossip, but just based on some of the details of their relationship, he seemed very insecure and controlling. Again, I'm highly inferring things, I could be totally wrong. I'm talking about the whirlwind nature of their dating (married 3 months after meeting), her changing her name (very few actresses change their last name to their spouse's after their "brand" has already been established), and the horrible haircut. I don't know if any or all of those things were suggested or influenced by the husband, it's 100% speculation on my part. But if they were, they're all ways that a man says "mine" when he marries someone.
Old 09-26-15, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
I don't follow celebrity gossip, but just based on some of the details of their relationship, he seemed very insecure and controlling. Again, I'm highly inferring things, I could be totally wrong. I'm talking about the whirlwind nature of their dating (married 3 months after meeting), her changing her name (very few actresses change their last name to their spouse's after their "brand" has already been established), and the horrible haircut. I don't know if any or all of those things were suggested or influenced by the husband, it's 100% speculation on my part. But if they were, they're all ways that a man says "mine" when he marries someone.
Courteney Cox added Arquette to her name before Friends sixth season.

Couco had been on TV for over 10 years with long hair. She decided to cut it. Do any of the guys who cry about this know any women IRL?
Old 09-26-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Probably, I don't recall anyone else agreeing with you. I think its been completely clear that Penny and Sheldon is nothing more then platonic. Hell, Leonard/Amy rarely do much together at all let alone make allude to a better connection between them.
Eh I've always felt like there's more chemistry between Sheldon and Penny than there is with Leonard and Penny. Some of it feels like more brother sister stuff because of the way it's written but a lot of times I feel like the writers should have went with them as a couple from the beginning. To me Leonard and Penny a lot of times feels more forced on like that was the plan all along and they aren't dropping it.
Old 09-26-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Couco had been on TV for over 10 years with long hair. She decided to cut it. Do any of the guys who cry about this know any women IRL?
Her character was at a turning point in her life. She got a grown-up job, put away her acting dreams, and was moving on. A change in hairstyle is hardly unexpected.
Old 09-26-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Eh I've always felt like there's more chemistry between Sheldon and Penny than there is with Leonard and Penny. Some of it feels like more brother sister stuff because of the way it's written but a lot of times I feel like the writers should have went with them as a couple from the beginning. To me Leonard and Penny a lot of times feels more forced on like that was the plan all along and they aren't dropping it.
Amy even commented on the Sheldon/Penny relationship in one episode. Maybe Amy's rejection of Sheldon and Penny's realization that her marriage to Leonard was just what they thought should happen by shouldn't have will bring them together.
Old 09-26-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 951 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Courteney Cox added Arquette to her name before Friends sixth season.

I said "very few". Not "none". It does happen, but very rarely. In addition to Courteney Cox, Candace Cameron became Candace Cameron-Bure, and an even bigger example (heh heh) is Roseanne Barr becoming Roseanne Arnold. But those are exceptions, not the rule. Again, it's pure speculation on my part; only the two of them know why she chose to add her married name to her stage name. I just considered the possibility that it was a sign of insecurity on his part. It could also be insecurity on her part, her way of saying "this isn't a whirlwind romance, we're IN LOVE, and this is how I'll prove it."

And as for knowing women in real life, yeah, I know a bunch. And I always find it amusing when they do cut their hair like that; All the men that know them will say "um.....yeah....it looks, um, good" (obviously lying), whereas all their female friends will say "WOW! That's so cute! I should do something like that myself!!!" Yet oddly, they (the friends) never do. It's like, they know it looks terrible, they know they now look better in comparison. Women are pretty competitive that way. Usually, the short-haired woman will grow it out, and often NEVER go back to the shorter look.
Old 09-26-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Better chemistry, sure. I think all of it has been like a brother/sister relationship, I don't see an ounce of an actual romantic relationship.
Old 09-26-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Better chemistry, sure. I think all of it has been like a brother/sister relationship, I don't see an ounce of an actual romantic relationship.
I dunno I could have seen some stuff between them a few times. Like I say the chemistry between them is there and I feel like anything serious between them has been held back because that wasn't the original plan. There have definitely been some flirtatious moments on both of their parts (Sheldon unintentionally normally but still) and as recently as last season when they did that quiz or whatever where it almost teased that they were a good match.
Old 09-26-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

One moment that stood out to me was the episode when Penny slipped in the shower and Sheldon took her to the hospital. When she was changing he took a"peek"that may have been the moment he started noticing her...
Old 09-26-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
Again, it's pure speculation on my part; only the two of them know why she chose to add her married name to her stage name.

And as for knowing women in real life, yeah, I know a bunch. And I always find it amusing when they do cut their hair like that;
How about this speculation: She got married. She's more old fashioned than most, so she changed her name.
Is her name her brand? Or is her job as the female lead on the most popular sitcom on TV her brand?

So IRL, women just up and decide to make a change by cutting their hair short without an accompanying conspiracy theory.

On the other hand, she has been working as a professional actress her entire adult life, so she probably is mentally unstable.
Old 09-26-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,283 Likes on 733 Posts

The last I saw Kaley in person was about a month ago during filming. She and Johnny came into the audience and talked with us. Naturally on set she's on "best behavior" but she seemed very nice. None of the "full of herself" stuff I've seen from other actors. However who knows what she's like in private.

On the haircut. It coincided with the character's profession change from waitress to successful business woman. It was part of her transformation. However now that that's been played out she could grow it back..

Who knows what will happen this season but I think the marriages are here to stay and the "kiss girl" will likely just be a seasonal arc. They didn't lay enough pipe for it to be more than that IMO.

Just speculation..
Old 09-26-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She's made over $60 million on TBBT so far. I hope she has an iron clad pre-nup!!
Old 09-26-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just think that there isn't any way around Sheldon's total lack of sexual desire, his asshole personality not withstanding. I can't imagine many people who'd put up with that in a relationship, much less being treated the way he treats everybody. But then, it's never made much sense for his libido to be totally non-existent to me.

I'm hoping they won't keep them broken up, but will use this as an opportunity to teach Sheldon that he really does feel empty without her and that she actually added value to his life, and that if he wants to keep that, he needs to start respecting her and actually behaving like a human sometimes. I think he really does care about her, and part of any relationship is learning to compromise and adjust who you are.
Old 09-26-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
One moment that stood out to me was the episode when Penny slipped in the shower and Sheldon took her to the hospital. When she was changing he took a"peek"that may have been the moment he started noticing her...
I didn't get the sense he was peeking on purpose. A heterosexual male who gets a chance to see an attractive naked women rarely just disregards it (I guess ) . I've check out female friends once or twice. I'm not proud of it, but it's biology. I'm only human. He's bound to notice .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.