Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 9 Thread - Premieres 9/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 9 Thread - Premieres 9/21/15

Its the #1 show (or close). Unless the stars demand some insane amount per episode when they renegotiate, it will go on. It just brings in too much $$ for CBS to just cancel it.
Old 06-01-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't they just renegotiate before this season for $1 million per? How many seasons was that good for?
Old 06-01-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 333 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Didn't they just renegotiate before this season for $1 million per? How many seasons was that good for?
They renegotiated in 2014 for seasons 8, 9, and 10.
By the way, the cast will be on Conan tonight, (6/1). It's a repeat from February. Here are some clips.
http://teamcoco.com/video/the-cast-o...t-know-science
Old 06-01-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
It's gotten too far from it's roots. It's now just "Friends" with a whiteboard in the background. Don't want it to end, but don't want it to devolve even more either.
The content for the main two couples has been solid. It's the garbage that they give Howard/Bernie and Raj that rarely ever works anymore. There are times I even think they could make Howard watchable again if they just wrote off Raj somehow.
Old 06-02-16, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
The content for the main two couples has been solid. It's the garbage that they give Howard/Bernie and Raj that rarely ever works anymore. There are times I even think they could make Howard watchable again if they just wrote off Raj somehow.
I agree. Howard-as-child/annoyance and Raj-on-the-make have grown annoying IMHO.
Old 06-02-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

I'd miss it, but probably only because I'm lacking :30 minute shows to watch.
Old 06-02-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Honestly it's time for it to be done. The show is well past its prime and has been running on fumes for the last couple of seasons.
Old 06-02-16, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone here defend and honestly say, sincerely, that this show was EVER funny? I've seen a dozen or so episodes of this and the writing was never not positively dreadful in the ones I've seen. The laugh track is obviously altered. A lot of shows do that, Google the practice, but this one clearly does it to an almost preposterous degree.
Old 06-02-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
Can anyone here defend and honestly say, sincerely, that this show was EVER funny? I've seen a dozen or so episodes of this and the writing was never not positively dreadful in the ones I've seen. The laugh track is obviously altered. A lot of shows do that, Google the practice, but this one clearly does it to an almost preposterous degree.
Always overdone on the laugh track but certainly the early seasons were very good. Obviously they can't leave things stagnant however once they started to evolve it became "Friends with Sheldon". Once you turn the losers into winners the show loses it's way. Kind of watch it now out of momentum but it seems like it's a couple minutes shorter with more commercials than the other sitcoms we watch.
Old 06-02-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Back when I cherry picked an episode here and there I didn't see the draw either. Then I decided to give it a shot from the very beginning. Now I'm a fan. Like most shows, the early seasons are better with the long slide into mediocrity that is now.
Old 06-02-16, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Back when I cherry picked an episode here and there I didn't see the draw either. Then I decided to give it a shot from the very beginning. Now I'm a fan. Like most shows, the early seasons are better with the long slide into mediocrity that is now.

Tell me one joke, one scene, from this show that honestly, genuinely made you laugh. One.
Old 06-02-16, 08:19 PM

Tell me one joke, one scene, from this show that honestly, genuinely made you laugh. One.
Humour is subjective though isn't it? Just because you don't think it's funny, doesn't mean everyone else reacts the same. Given the ratings plenty of people must've found it funny at some point else they wouldn't be watching.
Old 06-02-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I thought the Star Wars episode had some of the funniest lines:

Leonard: I'm really nervous.
Howard: I know. We've been waiting so long for this.
Raj: We've built it up in our heads so much.
Wil Wheaton: Guys, it's just a movie.
Leonard: That's true.
Howard: He's right.
Raj: It is.
Wil Wheaton: Although, we all remember Jar-Jar.
Raj: Leonard, I'm scared again.
Old 06-02-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was some time ago, but the episode with the Spock figure had me laughing out loud pretty much the whole episode. There have been many other times, including the episodes with Bob Newhart, but that Spock one was a stand out episode.
Old 06-02-16, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 708 Likes on 469 Posts

I thought the time machine episode had some funny moments. (first thing that popped into my head)
Old 06-02-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've laughed at a lot of stuff throughout the show, even these last few weaker seasons have had a few good episodes here and there. Whether it be Wheaton's early appearences, some of the halloween episodes, or perhaps my favorite moment being the Spock DNA napkin.

I still never understood the extreme hate that this show gets from people. Don't like it, don't watch it and move on.
Old 06-02-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I think it was pretty solid the first five seasons or so. It's the last few that it's really gone downhill in my opinion.
Old 06-02-16, 10:44 PM

Thread crap of the day award.
Old 06-02-16, 10:47 PM

Always overdone on the laugh track but certainly the early seasons were very good.
There is no laugh track. Nor sweetenings. They have the king of the warm-up artists, Mark Sweet (4,000+ shows), at work.
Old 06-03-16, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stenix
Humour is subjective though isn't it? Just because you don't think it's funny, doesn't mean everyone else reacts the same. Given the ratings plenty of people must've found it funny at some point else they wouldn't be watching.
Exactly. I am amazed 2 Broke Girls made it through a full season 1. After a couple episodes I was bored to tears. But it obviously has a strong following and many members on this board love it so I know I am in the minority.

Originally Posted by Astrofan
There is no laugh track. Nor sweetenings. They have the king of the warm-up artists, Mark Sweet (4,000+ shows), at work.
They do film before a live studio audience but they absolutely enhance it. It just isn't that funny. If you watch the youtube videos of scenes without a laugh track you'll see what I mean.
Old 06-03-16, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

The episode when Penny slipped in the shower and Sheldon had to drive her to the ER. The guys were out camping to star gaze and ended up getting stoned after eating some brownies made by some school teachers Howard came across for potential sex partners for he and Raj. The entire thirty minute show was non stop laughs.
Old 06-03-16, 08:57 AM

They do film before a live studio audience but they absolutely enhance it. It just isn't that funny. If you watch the youtube videos of scenes without a laugh track you'll see what I mean.
As anyone whose been to a taping could explain to you, the scenes you're referring to are not shot before a live audience. There's only 5 or 6 scenes on the set. The rest are shot at other studio locations and then SHOWN live to the audience of that episode.

Last edited by Astrofan; 06-03-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-22-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Spoilers about the upcoming season.

Spoiler:
The Big Bang Theory Just Cast Penny's Mom and Is Giving Kaley Cuoco an Epic 8 Simple Rules Reunion.

Could this casting get any better?!

It was just announced at The Big Bang Theory's 2016 San Diego Comic-Con panel that Katey Sagal will be playing mother to Kaley Cuoco once again as Penny's mom this fall, according to executive producer Steven Molaro.

Sagal and Cuoco previously played mother and daughter on 8 Simple Rules, which ran from 2002 to 2005 on ABC. She will appear in the first episode of the season, along with Penny's brother, who will be played by Jack McBrayer. He was on hand at the panel to help make the announcement.

While we don't know a whole lot about Penny's backstory, we have met her father, who was played by Keith Carradine in two episodes. Maybe seeing more of her family means we'll finally find out her last name! It's about time that more of Penny's family shows up, since Penny and Leonard did just get married and all, and Sagal and McBrayer are basically the most perfect choices anyone could have made.

http://www.eonline.com/news/781179/t...-rules-reunion