Minority Report (FOX) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- 9/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: Minority Report (FOX) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- 9/21/15

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I liked it with big reservations.

I love non-apocalyptic future settings but this should be 150 years in the future not 50. The world of 1965 is shockingly similar to the world of 2015 if you think about it, technology has not really advanced that much. The computers they use seem realistic though that was one of the strengths of the movie too. I love the setting and I like the basic concept of what the pre-cogs would do after they were released. But unfortunately shoe horning the story into another police buddy procedural seems really uninspired especially since it feels so much like Sleepy Hollow. The very last scene suggested there may be an arc so maybe it does not do the "prevent the murder of the week" episodes they seemed to be setting up.
That is an interesting point you bring up. Do you think that what they depicted technology wise wouldn't be possible in only 50 years, or that the tech wasn't advanced enough for 50 years in the future or they should have made it further in the future and made the technology more futuristic?

Personally I thought the tech was believable as possible for less than 50 years in the future.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The biggest problem for me with Minority Report were the male leads. I didn't like any of the male stars as charismatic actors that could carry a show. It's not hopeless, I trashed Sleepy Hollow pretty badly during its first few episodes and came to enjoy it during season two. But that always had a supernatural hook that interests me more than some imaginary future.
My complaint as well. Kept gettign a Jesse Eisernberg vibe from Dash, and I can't belive Nick Zano in a serious role, after only seeing him on 2 Broke Girls, Happy Endings and One Big Happy.
Old 09-23-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
That is an interesting point you bring up. Do you think that what they depicted technology wise wouldn't be possible in only 50 years, or that the tech wasn't advanced enough for 50 years in the future or they should have made it further in the future and made the technology more futuristic?

Personally I thought the tech was believable as possible for less than 50 years in the future.

My complaint as well. Kept gettign a Jesse Eisernberg vibe from Dash, and I can't belive Nick Zano in a serious role, after only seeing him on 2 Broke Girls, Happy Endings and One Big Happy.
I think the tech such as the trains and buildings they showed would not be capable in only 50 years time. Really want to see a good futuristic non-apocalyptic show. Not sure this will scratch that itch.
Old 09-23-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The world of 1965 is shockingly similar to the world of 2015 if you think about it, technology has not really advanced that much.
While I agree with your underlying point, I think technology has advanced a LOT from 1965 to 2015. We have cars that can park themselves. Some even try to prevent fender benders on their own. We carry cell phones that not only have more power than the computers that got us to the moon, but that we can talk to, ask for directions, and it'll tell us -- turn by turn. We have television sets at sizes all but hard to imagine in 1965, with resolutions nobody had even thought of yet. We have thermostats we can control from the aforementioned phones while we're out to dinner so we can warm the house up before we get home. We can control the lights while we're away. We can keep an eye on our homes remotely. A neurosurgeon can get a detailed brain scan and share it with another neurosurgeon halfway around the world in seconds. And many more advances.

Sure our lawnmowers and faucets and many other things are not significantly changed from 1965, but let's not lose sight of the ridiculous advancements that HAVE been made in the last 50 years. It's really quite impressive.

When technology advances, there's always a balance between what can be done and what people are willing to pay for. As the technology gets cheaper, more people can justify obtaining it. I usually don't pay too much attention to predictions of what the future will look like because you usually can't predict which pivotal things will end up taking things in a totally different direction (I would say smart phones have literally changed our lives in a significant way for better and worse). Getting future tech right is the least of the problems with this show.

IMO, the lead load is too heavy for Megan Good to carry as an actress. She's attractive, a decent person (she's married to a minister), and decent at her craft, but I think she's miscast here. The role could use someone with a little more gravitas.
Old 09-23-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee, how much tas do you need??
Old 09-23-15, 02:39 PM

The world of 1965 is shockingly similar to the world of 2015 if you think about it, technology has not really advanced that much.
I guess you weren't alive then.
Old 09-23-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Speaking of technology, I couldn't help but laugh when he got on the Washington Metro and it was all fancy with cars interchanging on the fly. They can't run it today without incident and delays. I was expecting him to miss the murder because it broke down.
Old 09-23-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I guess you weren't alive then.
I agree. Technology hasn't really changed that much from 1965. Except the internet. Everything else is just a more current version of the same technology people used then.
There haven't been changes like from the horse to the automobile. More like going from riding bareback to using the saddle.
Old 09-23-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Her wardrobe was the best thing in the entire pilot.
This. So much this.

Folks, we have a new Detective Tits McGee on TV.
Old 09-23-15, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rw2516
I agree. Technology hasn't really changed that much from 1965. Except the internet. Everything else is just a more current version of the same technology people used then.
There haven't been changes like from the horse to the automobile. More like going from riding bareback to using the saddle.
This is a joke right? TV's thin as a book, cellphones, smartphones, video games that are incredibly real, cars that park themselves, digital music, internet radio, INTERNET, terabyte storage devices, remote controls, GPS for the masses, MRI's, WIFI, Kindles, Google, bar scanners, Doppler Radar, etc...etc...etc...

Sorry, I usually don't comment on such things but that was so off the wall wrong...
Old 09-23-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Holydoc
This is a joke right? TV's thin as a book, cellphones, smartphones, video games that are incredibly real, cars that park themselves, digital music, internet radio, INTERNET, terabyte storage devices, remote controls, GPS for the masses, MRI's, WIFI, Kindles, Google, bar scanners, Doppler Radar, etc...etc...etc...

Sorry, I usually don't comment on such things but that was so off the wall wrong...
Here's the thing though. A tv might be as thin as a book, but it's still "just" a tv. You watch content on it. Cellphones? As transformative as it is, it's still a device to communicate. Sure, it may be done with texting, but that's just talking with your fingers. A car that can park itself is still a car that you have to drive.

Don't get me wrong. It all adds up to a wonderful experience insofar as living is concerned, but most of it has been tweaking the fundamental manner in which we live, as opposed to truly transforming it. We're on the cusp, though, of breaking through that barrier and into a radically altered vision of tomorrow. 3D printing. Hyper loops. Self driving cars. AI. Medical cures. It's all ramping up exponentially, but for most of those things to become common enough to just be a "thing" in the future, instead of a "gee whiz" device, well... It might take a little longer than the future they're depicting.

(For me, though, the biggest element of unrealism lies in the infrastructure. Washington D.C. of 2065 LOOKS radically different than the one of 2015. I mean, it took the One World Trade Center over seven years, and $4 billion to happen. One building. We still can't get high speed rails to connect cities, much less starting work on a technology to link trains as depicted in the series. It's just a little too off the mark for me in that regard.)
Old 09-24-15, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The tech stuff doesn't bother me, at least as far as the show goes since it's based off of what the movie had already done.
Old 09-24-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No widespread computer usage in 65.

DNA manipulation seems to be commonplace in this world too.

Washington DC also has a building height restriction so I guess that was rescinded too, or that wasn't downtown we were seeing.
Old 09-24-15, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holydoc

I guess it is in perspective but all of those things are really not that much different than what we had in 1965. Computers are the main difference I think but almost all of the things you mention are just improved versions of core technology that existed back then. Take a person from 1965 and stick him in 2015 and he will adapt very very quickly. TV is not really different, it looks better. You can take your phones with you. Cars are still for the most part cars just with some bells and whistles. Is digital music really that different from playing a record. a Kindle really that different than a book? I do not think so. The baseline technology is largely the same, smaller and better to be sure but not really different.

It is kind of why I like the technology in Minority Report because it is evolutionary not revolutionary though I think even then their tech is still more than 50 years away in advancements.
Old 09-24-15, 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=invisiblegt;12596675depicting.

(For me, though, the biggest element of unrealism lies in the infrastructure. Washington D.C. of 2065 LOOKS radically different than the one of 2015. I mean, it took the One World Trade Center over seven years, and $4 billion to happen. One building. We still can't get high speed rails to connect cities, much less starting work on a technology to link trains as depicted in the series. It's just a little too off the mark for me in that regard.)[/QUOTE]

Which is why it seems more like 150 years in the future than 50.
Old 09-26-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I stopped this half way and turned it off. The characters were chairiactures, the acting was terrible, and the pacing was just fumbling around all over the place. The main guy was okay, but the police lady was terrible. I'll be surprised if this makes it half a season. I have to imagine a second season of Almost Human would have been better.
Old 09-26-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Got a 1.1 rating. Ouch.
Besides MASH, has there ever been a TV series based on a movie that has experienced long-term success? FNL and Buffy don't count as they are miles apart from their movies. Fargo is too young to count either. Has anything even made it past season 3?
Old 09-26-15, 06:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Besides MASH, has there ever been a TV series based on a movie that has experienced long-term success? FNL and Buffy don't count as they are miles apart from their movies. Fargo is too young to count either. Has anything even made it past season 3?
Friday Night Lights, In the Heat of the Night, Parenthood, Nikita, The Odd Couple (original), Private Benjamin, Teen Wolf...
Old 09-26-15, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fame ran 6 Seasons.
Old 09-26-15, 11:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the film being one of my favorite movies ever, I actually fairly enjoyed the pilot. While not as good as the film, I think it's a decent addition to the story. I guess if I gave the film a 9 I'd give the tv series a 6.5-7.

Actually currently in the middle of watching the film again thanks to the pilot re-sparking my interest haha.
Old 09-26-15, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The tech stuff doesn't bother me, at least as far as the show goes since it's based off of what the movie had already done.
Yup. The advanced technology in the tv series is pretty much the same as the in the movie, which took place 10 year prior.
Old 09-27-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Fame ran 6 Seasons.

I thought it was going to live forever
Old 09-27-15, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea
Old 09-28-15, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Minority Report (S1E02) -- "Mr. Nice Guy" -- 9/28/15

IT'S A MATCH MADE IN... THE FUTURE ON AN ALL-NEW "MINORITY REPORT" MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, ON FOX

Dash and Vega team up again to find a killer who is currently down on love. Meanwhile, Dash continues to reach out to his siblings for help in the all-new "Mr. Nice Guy" episode of MINORITY REPORT airing Monday, Sept. 28 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (REP-102) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Stark Sands as Dash, Meagan Good as Detective Lara Vega, Nick Zano as Arthur, Wilmer Valderrama as Will Blake, Laura Regan as Agatha, Li Jun Li as Akeela, Zhane Hall as Rico.

Guest Cast: Christian Tessier as Marcel, Jennifer Cheon as Andromeda, Bradford Anderson as Harlan, Maureen Sebastian as Blanca, Ron Melendez as Tyson Cole

Minority Report had some growth from Live + 3, streaming & a re-air on Friday, but still well below expectations.

Minority Report also saw a healthy gain in Nielsen's Live +3s, growing +55% to a 1.7 rating in Adults 18-49. With all viewing in the first three days across platforms (incl. encore), the premiere episode of MINORITY REPORT drew a total multiplatform audience of 7.5 million - up +141% from its same-day audience (3.1 mil).
Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...8mWHS2Y5o98.99
Old 09-29-15, 09:40 PM

Re: Minority Report (S1E02) -- "Mr. Nice Guy" -- 9/28/15

Not nearly as good as the movie, but I'll still tune in until it gets too stupid.
Old 09-29-15, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Minority Report (S1E02) -- "Mr. Nice Guy" -- 9/28/15

I don't think I like anyone on this show. The tech is cool though. I think one problem is that I'm currently watching season 2 of Person of Interest and they do this same format minus the future tech way better. I feel like the female lead was chosen mainly for looks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.