Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Minority Report (FOX) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- 9/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Minority Report (FOX) -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- 9/21/15

Once Valderrama appeared I lost almost all interest. I think the guy stinks.
Old 09-22-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
You have one of those smellovision setups?
Old 09-22-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Got a 1.1 rating. Ouch.
Old 09-22-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Yeah, when I saw his name in the credits, I cringed. Despite my wife not remembering the movie at all, she liked it enough that we'll watch a few more. There is an overarching plot, but it doesn't seem all that compelling just yet. I was thinking they'd save the reveal of the brother until later on in the season so I was surprised he was around before the end of the episode.
Old 09-22-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it affected the ratings, but the pilot did leak long ago. We'll learn more about how many people are interested in week 2. I didn't find it to be any kind of compelling show... just something on TV. It's nowhere near as good as the movie. As for Steven Spielberg's "involvement", I think that definitely needs to be in quotes.
Old 09-22-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I don't know if it affected the ratings, but the pilot did leak long ago. We'll learn more about how many people are interested in week 2. I didn't find it to be any kind of compelling show... just something on TV. It's nowhere near as good as the movie. As for Steven Spielberg's "involvement", I think that definitely needs to be in quotes.
The Pilot that leaked months ago was apparently different from the version that aired last night. I read another board and someone who saw both said some of it was re-shot.
Old 09-22-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too bad about the ratings. I found this hour much more enjoyable and engaging than Blindspot which is getting more buzz. I don't get it.
Old 09-22-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
That's too bad about the ratings. I found this hour much more enjoyable and engaging than Blindspot which is getting more buzz. I don't get it.
Blindspot had a much, much, much stronger lead-in as well.
Old 09-22-15, 01:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I agree with that. Blindspot seems like a very limited premise that will get tiresome pretty quickly. I liked Minority Report better, but it kind of turned into a standard procedural with "gee-whiz" gadgets. Kind of underwhelming. I'll give it another shot though.
Old 09-22-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I am a pre-cognitive as well. I don't foresee anyone watching this show next year.

This was pretty obviously Fox's attempt to cross Almost Human with Sleepy Hollow. What disappointed me was the needless rush to a formulaic procedural scenario within 20 minutes of beginning. They recklessly rushed through the fairly complicated mythology assuming everyone remembers a movie that is now in the dim past.

I really liked Minority Report as a movie, it's one of Cruise's best movies. This cast doesn't do much for me and a lot of the little details written into the scenario's background indicated I probably wouldn't like most of the story arcs going forward. It's an action cop procedural with a few token sci-fi trappings to suck in younger viewers.

I'll give it a few episodes to see if the producers have any creativity. Pilots are often about being generic as possible to ensnare a broader audience.
Old 09-22-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Thinking about this again and the best way I can describe my reaction to it is: I didn't hate it, but it failed to impress me

The antagonist didn't strike fear into me for being in the pilot episode. Didn't make an impact. And of course, he ended being one-and-done.
Old 09-22-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe I missed it (because the show was on in the background and I was doing something else), but I remember the first antagonist saying that they don't know what's coming. Was that just a setup for the second antagonist, or something bigger?
Old 09-22-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Not bad but I had low expectations. Seeing the rating posted above, I guess it has only another week or 2.
Old 09-22-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lead actress is Giantrobo's dream girl.
Old 09-22-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam
The lead actress is Giantrobo's dream girl.
I was a little surprised at how they dressed her in a lot of the scenes.
Old 09-22-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was terrible. The writing felt like it came from that friend who's not funny, but lingers for a second after saying something they think is hilarious, waiting for your reaction. Then when they don't get it, they shrug, and move on to the next one. And boy did they try.

The future felt like some sort of weird super future like you'd see from an early 90s film. Flying cars! Robot chefs! Shiny sunglasses! None of it felt grounded, and, as such, it lost everything that made the film a hit (for me). That world felt like a natural extension of ours. Here, fifty or so years in the future, and they'd made leaps and bounds over where it feels like we'll be. It was just too much, and too "in your face" about it. "You remember when Iggy had that song where she smoked marijuana while driving in an Uber that ran on gasoline? And then drank a Pepsi-Cola, back when it was bad for you? Good thing the sugar interlacer managed to make it a health drink that we can order through cloud drones."

Whomever said this was an attempt to clone the (moderate) success of Sleepy Hollow is spot on. The trouble is that Beharie and Mison sparred immediately, and have an effortless rapport. The two leads here just aren't that comfortable, and, coupled with the weak writing... It just doesn't feel like they'll ever truly mesh.

Another one and done.
Old 09-22-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was a little surprised at how they dressed her in a lot of the scenes.
Her wardrobe was the best thing in the entire pilot. They also had very decent set design for a show set decades in the future.
Old 09-22-15, 09:26 PM

I thought it was ok and I'll watch again next week, but with those ratings it's not going to last. I agree with those that said Almost Human did it better, I liked the tone of that show much more than this.
Old 09-22-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess i'm one of the few that enjoyed it I really like the movie and the way this continued off of it... and just dug the environment and future that they have even if it does seem a lot like Almost Human.
Old 09-23-15, 12:14 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I liked it with big reservations.

I love non-apocalyptic future settings but this should be 150 years in the future not 50. The world of 1965 is shockingly similar to the world of 2015 if you think about it, technology has not really advanced that much. The computers they use seem realistic though that was one of the strengths of the movie too. I love the setting and I like the basic concept of what the pre-cogs would do after they were released. But unfortunately shoe horning the story into another police buddy procedural seems really uninspired especially since it feels so much like Sleepy Hollow. The very last scene suggested there may be an arc so maybe it does not do the "prevent the murder of the week" episodes they seemed to be setting up.
Old 09-23-15, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I guess i'm one of the few that enjoyed it I really like the movie and the way this continued off of it... and just dug the environment and future that they have even if it does seem a lot like Almost Human.
The biggest problem for me with Minority Report were the male leads. I didn't like any of the male stars as charismatic actors that could carry a show. It's not hopeless, I trashed Sleepy Hollow pretty badly during its first few episodes and came to enjoy it during season two. But that always had a supernatural hook that interests me more than some imaginary future.
Old 09-23-15, 06:00 AM
Cool New Member

I'm a massive fan of the film, but the TV show was really disappointing - mostly because of the points everyone in here has already made. Doubt I'll stick with it to be honest.
Old 09-23-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought it was okay. It felt a lot like Sleepy Hollow and I agree that the leads in Almost Human had much better chemistry than the leads in Minority Report. The previews discussed a larger arc for the season so we'll see if FOX lets the show last that long. I hope it sticks around.
Old 09-23-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I am a pre-cognitive as well. I don't foresee anyone watching this show next year.
Well said!!!
Old 09-23-15, 10:28 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
The writing felt like it came from that friend who's not funny, but lingers for a second after saying something they think is hilarious, waiting for your reaction. Then when they don't get it, they shrug, and move on to the next one. And boy did they try.

This is exactly my reaction to Stephen Colbert after seeing him for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.