TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Castle (ABC) -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Castle (ABC) -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/15

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Yeah, this was definitely more of a filler, and not one to remind people why they should be watching regularly.
This was the kind of episode that could only happen on a show that's been on the air for 8 seasons
Old 02-14-16, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so people are aware, Castle is new tonight and tomorrow night (Sun and Mon).
Old 02-15-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Sunday's episode was pretty good. It was a fun whodunnit mystery.

Liked some of the twists and turns. The little lesbian affair twist was interesting.

However, I wish Rick and Kate would quit this silly charade that they're separated. I'm glad they're back together, but seems silly that they have to pretend, especially in front of close colleagues like Espo and Ryan.
Old 02-16-16, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I simply must not have been paying attention but just who is the public defender supposed to be and why are they watching him?
Old 03-01-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Episode from 2 weeks ago "The Blame Game" was quite good.

It was basically Castle meets Saw II.
Old 03-08-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Monday's (3/7) episode featured another mini-Firefly reunion, with Summer Glau as a rival private investigator competing with Castle to solve a serial killer case in L.A.

I think she's the third Firefly cast member to appear on Castle, after Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin.
Old 03-08-16, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

She still creeps me out. I never understood the fascination with her.
Old 03-09-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I agree.

I'm curious as to her involvement. As soon as I saw her as the cop, I assumed she was the killer. Is there some sort of spin-off happening with her and Raymond Tusk or was she just doing Nathan a favor?
Old 03-09-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I think she's the third Firefly cast member to appear on Castle, after Gina Torres and Adam Baldwin.
Yeah, none of the others from the main cast have appeared. Which sort of surprises me. They've done it often enough so that they seem to want these appearances to happen, but I would have guessed that actors like Ron Glass & Sean Maher would have enough time in their schedules to make an appearance, and I had thought that Alan Tudyk was friends with Fillion. Perhaps they don't want to overdo it and/or those people had schedule conflicts? Baccarin's been busy enough that I can understand her not appearing (Staite too), though it seems a shame, as I think they could have done a great episode around her, maybe back when Castle was single.

Meanwhile, Beckett didn't appear at all, and it struck me as an okay episode. I wondered if they're experimenting in case they need to do next season without her?
Old 03-13-16, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Yeah, none of the others from the main cast have appeared. Which sort of surprises me. They've done it often enough so that they seem to want these appearances to happen, but I would have guessed that actors like Ron Glass & Sean Maher would have enough time in their schedules to make an appearance, and I had thought that Alan Tudyk was friends with Fillion. Perhaps they don't want to overdo it and/or those people had schedule conflicts? Baccarin's been busy enough that I can understand her not appearing (Staite too), though it seems a shame, as I think they could have done a great episode around her, maybe back when Castle was single.

Meanwhile, Beckett didn't appear at all, and it struck me as an okay episode. I wondered if they're experimenting in case they need to do next season without her?
I know it's hack and cheesy but I like it when they do subtle nods to Firefly. remember when Glau was on Chuck? Baldwin had a line "not sure what kind of crew you normally run with.." Baldwin wearing the brown coat in their first episode together? I liked that stuff.

Fillion has such great chemistry with Tudyk they must be able to find something before it goes out.

This already lost most it's charm once they got married so to try again without Beckett at all would really be jumping the shark. I noticed Stana was listed as producer of the episode. When did she get promoted?
Old 03-13-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JimRochester

This already lost most it's charm once they got married so to try again without Beckett at all would really be jumping the shark. I noticed Stana was listed as producer of the episode. When did she get promoted?
When she and Nathan signed on for season 8. Talent usually gets a huge raise and a Producer credit after their initial contract expires. Depends on circumstances though. Some talent already get the credit when they sign on to the show.
Old 03-26-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw Monday's episode last night. After Beckett not being in the last one, this episode was very Beckett centric. I enjoyed it.

Remind me again why they have to pretend they're still apart? It's been so long I forgot.
Old 04-04-16, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In this morning's paper Castle is listed as a bubble show. With most of the charm gone, the lackluster season and sporadic airings, this is one show that should probably just be done. Too bad, I used to love this show
Old 04-04-16, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Yeah...sadly, I think it's time has come. The whole separation of the two of them is just bad. Too bad too...I like what they're doing with Castle as a PI with his daughter.
Old 04-04-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Yeah...sadly, I think it's time has come. The whole separation of the two of them is just bad. Too bad too...I like what they're doing with Castle as a PI with his daughter.
Enjoyable. I like the Hayley character. But it has devolved into "just another procedural"
Old 04-04-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk God

In this morning's paper Castle is listed as a bubble show. With most of the charm gone, the lackluster season and sporadic airings, this is one show that should probably just be done. Too bad, I used to love this show
From early March

http://deadline.com/2016/03/quantico...bc-1201713926/

Not on the list (of renewals) are veteran procedural Castle, whose renewal is contingent on making a new deal with star Nathan Fillion. There had been preliminary conversations, but I hear talks paused when the changeover at the top of ABC happened and are expected to resume with new entertainment president Dungy.

They're currently shooting the season finale (episode 22) Stana just got the script last week.

My guess is they will shoot a close ended episode in case they don't come back like last season.
Old 04-04-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think they would, and I don't think they should pony up a big deal to keep the show going. The only advantage to having one more final season is being able to tie up loose ends such as his father.
Old 04-04-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't think they would, and I don't think they should pony up a big deal to keep the show going. The only advantage to having one more final season is being able to tie up loose ends such as his father.
TNT has the syndication rights to Castle. More episodes made means more money to ABC. That's the advantage.

Even though an aging procedural like Castle isn't doing well anymore, it's off network value is still there and since ABC produces the show, they can still make money off it.

I know we live in an age now with so much content on that it's tough & daunting for people to stay dedicated to show running 6, 7, 8, 10 seasons etc.

Hell, I can't believe I've watched all 125+ episodes of Castle since Spring 2009. I bet most here haven't.
Old 04-11-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got caught up with the last 3 episodes. Glad Castle and Beckett's charade outside their house is finally over and now they're working together freely.

Last episode that aired (4/4) was pretty good. Liked that it dealt a little with Espo's past. Nice to see Angelica Celaya from Constantine playing Espo's ex.

at "Linus" being a dick to Castle.

This has been a bizarre season. I don't think the show has suffered with Castle and Beckett being married. I think it suffered when the writers decided to pull them apart because of this charade and Beckett's little crusade.
Old 04-18-16, 12:22 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Caskett no more. I have learned that ABC is planning a ninth season of the venerable crime procedural without one of its two stars, female lead Stana Katic, who plays Detective Kate Beckett to Nathan Fillion’s writer-turned-PI Rick Castle. It is the main part of a major shakeup on the series, which also includes the departure of fellow original cast member Tamala Jones. Fillion has been in negotiations to return to Castle, which I hear is eyeing a shortened, likely 13-episode, ninth season, at a reduced license fee.

I hear the decision for Katic not to return was made by ABC and ABC Studios. Both Fillion and Katic last spring inked one-year contracts, which are up at the end of the current eighth season. While the studio started making overtures to Fillion for a new deal months ago and has been in on- and off- talks with him since the beginning of the year, I hear Katic was never approached to re-up her contract and was not offered an opportunity to continue on the show. Instead, I hear she, as well as Jones, were informed late last week that for budgetary reasons, they won’t be asked to come back for Season 9.

Katic would not comment on the circumstances surrounding her exit. When asked about the departure, she told Deadline, “Rather then distract from what was an amazing experience, I would just like to say that I’m very grateful to ABC for giving me the opportunity to be a part of a much beloved show. Thank you to the fans.”

Since Castle has not been renewed, ABC would not comment on any plans for the length of the potential Season 9 but confirmed to Deadline that Katic and Jones won’t be part of it.

“Kate Beckett has been a beloved character on our hit series Castle for the past 8 years. We are grateful for Stana Katic’s talent and dedication to the series and we hope to continue our relationship,” ABC said in a statement to Deadline. “Tamala Jones has also been an integral part of the series and we are grateful she was a part of Castle.“

Jones played the whip-smart medical examiner Lanie Parish who was Beckett’s close friend and confidante. “I’ve had so much fun playing the wonderful and unfiltered Lanie over the past eight seasons,” Jones said in a statement to Deadline. “I will greatly miss the cast and crew – it’s been a privilege getting to work with this incredibly hard working group of people. Thank you to ABC for this opportunity and to the fans for their unwavering support. It’s been an incredible journey and I can’t wait for what lies ahead!”

While the series is called Castle, Beckett’s character has been as prominent on the show, which evolved into a two-lead Moonlighting-style comedic drama. Castle creator Andrew Marlowe had always called the Castle/Beckett relationship central to the concept of the series.

Marlowe left Castle at the end of last season when Alexi Hawley and Terence Paul Winter were named new showrunners. The two were handed the difficult task of shepherding the eighth season with the future of the series and its stars up in the air. Amid that uncertainty, the show filmed two different endings for the upcoming Season 8 finale, including a cliffhanger one in which I hear both Castle and Beckett’s lives are left hanging in the balance.

“There’s stuff up in the air, so we are trying to leave it in a very dynamic way which leaves open the possibility that maybe the show won’t come back in the same form next season — although, again, we really hope that it does,” Hawley told TVLine over the weekend.’

Long-running series like Castle are expensive, and with ratings inevitably slipping, implementing cost reductions is not uncommon though those rarely affect the stars of a show. While Castle‘s ratings are down vs. last season, the crime series has been a reliable performer, posting a 1.1 adults 18-49 Live+same rating for the last six airings and getting close to tying its season high of 1.2 last Monday with a 1.14 rating. The show’s DVR gains have been solid, with the April 4 episode growing 55% to a 1.7 L+3 demo rating.
http://deadline.com/2016/04/castle-s...ut-1201739022/
Old 04-18-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Yikes!!! That will not sit well with long time Castle fans.

I have no problem with them losing Lanie, but dropping Kate for the final season....oh boy.

How are they going to explain dropping Kate...killed off, transfer, divorce?

Sounds like it's not official yet for a 9th season, I'd rather Fillion realize they are screwing the fans and integrity of the show and move on and let them use the closed ended finale.
Old 04-18-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the show was still as good as it was for the first few Seasons, and ratings were bad, then I'd root for it to continue however it could. But that time has long passed. The new showrunners just don't have a handle on the characters.

Separately, I've heard that Jewel Staite will be appearing in one of the upcoming S8 episodes.
Old 04-18-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Yeah seems sort of dumb for them to work toward them getting together only to end it without her. I would watch a spin-off show with Javier and Ryan, though. Love this guys.
Old 04-18-16, 01:57 PM

I don't see the point in having another season if Beckett won't be there. I guess it depends on how this season ends, but still...
Old 04-18-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by birdseye
I don't see the point in having another season if Beckett won't be there. I guess it depends on how this season ends, but still...
Deadline story says they shot 2 endings. Cliffhanger and closed ended.

I assume if it gets renewed before the finale, they will air the cliffhanger ending.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.