Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective (S2E04) -- "Down Will Come" -- 7/12/15

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: True Detective (S2E04) -- "Down Will Come" -- 7/12/15

Yeah I haven't seen any complaints about the southern gothic thing. He must be reading those elsewhere.
Old 07-13-15, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that really bothers me this season is Vince Vaughn, I dunno, I think he's horrible. Completely unconvincing.
Old 07-13-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,224 Likes on 941 Posts

I buy VV's angle. He's a former hustler who has dreamed of going "legit" and play with the big boys for many years and now he's been fucked. He plays the role of the wannabe (he is tough, though) tough guy well, IMO. He IS way in over his head at times, so he goes back to getting his hustle on like he did back in the day.
Old 07-13-15, 10:10 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vaughn has been hit or miss for me. I like him, but some of his rambling monologues seem forced.
Old 07-13-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,380 Likes on 941 Posts

i really don't have as many complaints about this. i think the acting by VV and Farrell is above average, Kitsch is good and McAdams seems totally out of place. I do agree the show seems seriously disjointed, though.
Old 07-13-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,715 Posts

I know they went with McAdams because she's a pretty well known movie star. But, she does seem out of her element playing a badass cop with an edge.

I think they should have gone with someone like Dina Meyer.

Super hot, mature, a decent actress and can pull off playing a cop. She played a detective in the Saw movies.
Old 07-13-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 890 Likes on 625 Posts

I'm struggling to keep interest while watching this season. It's just dull.
The shootout woke me up and was fun, but had issues with it of course.

Originally Posted by dex14
I mean really... they couldn't have had ONE other cop survive besides our 3 main characters? And the backup conveniently shows up when the last bad guy is killed.
I was thinking the same thing.
This is the kinda thing you'd see on dumb TV shows or action flicks - the stars are unscathed while everyone else dies. It really hard to take a show seriously when it resorts to these types of antics.

The depressing singer definitely feels like a bad Lynch ripoff, and is really ripe for SNL making fun of. The characters say a line, and then the singer sings, another line and then she sings again - constantly interrupting. It's absurd that they keep going back to it.

This season just isn't working for me.

On the plus side - McAdams looks great in tight jeans.
Old 07-13-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

This thread has more complaints than an entire season of TWD.
Old 07-13-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bluetoast
This thread has more complaints than an entire season of TWD.
I wasn't complaining. But I understand why so many are unhappy. I think prior to this season many viewed True Detective as a prestige show, especially after the first season. I think the story/mystery isn't exciting many. And I think the season is coming across more as a popcorn cop thriller and that's why so many are disappointed.

Nic Pizzalatto had a super tough job following up season 1. He's a novelist and his lack of experience as a TV writer and show runner is probably showing. I'm betting he had a lot of time and help constructing season 1, however season 2 was on more of a pressed schedule to get filmed and on the air.
Old 07-14-15, 12:08 AM

Yeah, it's more of an observation than a complaint from me. I'm going to continue to watch. I am glad there is a season 2 and we'll see how it ends.
Old 07-14-15, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Not at all. It's just weird to me. Must be a millennial thing. Southern Gothic noir doesn't translate to L.A., so I'm floored that people think it sucks. It's fine to think that but it doesn't mean it's true.
What must be a millennial thing? Just seems like if anyone disagrees with your very strange opinions, you just call them a hater.

No one here is looking for Southern Gothic, but this season has been awful and filled with awful dialogue. You honestly think that the city wouldn't come down on a police shooting with ghetto birds the moment, especially in a factory district as portrayed in that shoot out,

And sorry, but Predator 2 took place in what was considered the future city of L.A. in the far ahead time line of 1997.

Any way, I think another issue is that we're not given much reason to give a shit about these folks. In season 1, we were seeing the current-day interviews, but it didn't take anything away from the stuff we were seeing in the past. It only added to it greatly. Hell, for a bit it seemed like they were really leading you to believe Cole is a subject, what that shoot out was that they got so much praise for and such and such.

It actually had a sort of check points along the way to stop along and feel like you are getting from one spot of this story to another to another.

This season just feels so long and drawn out for no reason. It's fucking dull. Not some millennial thing, it's more of a shitty writing thing.
Old 07-14-15, 07:43 AM

I'm actually enjoying the season yet I see so much that bothers me, must be that I like the story so far and Colin Farrell's acting and character because I dislike all other leads it seems.

Kitsch's acting is dreadful. Why did I like him as Tim Riggins? He's so lifeless and bland.
McAdams too, totally unconvincing as a bad ass cop. Seriously, go back to making chick flicks, that's where you belong.
Vaughn I can tolarate. I get his character, and as a viewer I'm on the fence trying to figure out if he'll succeed at re-becoming the dirty bad guy he was or if he just can't do it anymore and will eat the dust soon.
Old 07-14-15, 08:53 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Besides the shootout, I did like Ray and Paul's scene in the car together while stuck in traffic. Was almost as if they were trying to channel the frequent exchanges between Rust and Marty from last season.
Old 07-14-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Not at all. It's just weird to me. Must be a millennial thing. Southern Gothic noir doesn't translate to L.A., so I'm floored that people think it sucks. It's fine to think that but it doesn't mean it's true.
I'd like you to quote one post that says that the flaw of this season is that it's not "Southern Gothic Noir". Seems like an argument that you've made up yourself.

Either way, the real tone of the first season is only coated with this "southern noir". The real tone is of a dark underground world. In the first season, as they dived deeper into the case the world got darker and darker. That is absolutely a tone that could be done in Los Angeles. If they did a "hollywood underbelly" thing, the tone would have absolutely matched the first season.
Old 07-14-15, 09:36 AM

Received 4,715 Likes on 3,194 Posts

This Is For Everyone Who Is Totally Confused By Season 2 Of “True Detective”: http://www.buzzfeed.com/kirstenking/...pgp#.gkxAxY2Yz
Old 07-14-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If watching in the hopes that Frank's wife either gets naked or gets fed up with his schmuck routine and stabs him in the eye.
Old 07-14-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
What must be a millennial thing? Just seems like if anyone disagrees with your very strange opinions, you just call them a hater.

No one here is looking for Southern Gothic, but this season has been awful and filled with awful dialogue. You honestly think that the city wouldn't come down on a police shooting with ghetto birds the moment, especially in a factory district as portrayed in that shoot out,

And sorry, but Predator 2 took place in what was considered the future city of L.A. in the far ahead time line of 1997.

Any way, I think another issue is that we're not given much reason to give a shit about these folks. In season 1, we were seeing the current-day interviews, but it didn't take anything away from the stuff we were seeing in the past. It only added to it greatly. Hell, for a bit it seemed like they were really leading you to believe Cole is a subject, what that shoot out was that they got so much praise for and such and such.

It actually had a sort of check points along the way to stop along and feel like you are getting from one spot of this story to another to another.

This season just feels so long and drawn out for no reason. It's fucking dull. Not some millennial thing, it's more of a shitty writing thing.

Probably but there would be an average response time assuming the response wasn't being hindered by a corrupt alcoholic mayor.
Old 07-14-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Besides the shootout, I did like Ray and Paul's scene in the car together while stuck in traffic. Was almost as if they were trying to channel the frequent exchanges between Rust and Marty from last season.
That was a cool scene. It reminded me that I need a small bottle of Smirnoff in the glove compartment as well.

#drank
Old 07-14-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I was hoping the singer from the bar would wander by during the shootout and catch one in the head. Can't stand it when she starts warbling.
Old 07-14-15, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Phodg
I was hoping the singer from the bar would wander by during the shootout and catch one in the head. Can't stand it when she starts warbling.
This whole nutty world of S2 probably takes place in the DNA of one of the strands of that singers hair.
Old 07-14-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/tru...ut-1201539788/

The shootout scene took 5 days to film according to Rachel McAdams.
Old 07-14-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/tru...ut-1201539788/

The shootout scene took 5 days to film according to Rachel McAdams.
Did you read the comment posted underneath?

Spoiler:
In the first four episodes of the second season of True Detective, Nic Pizzolatto has offered a number of clues to the identity of who killed Vinci city manager Ben Caspere and subsequently complicated gangster Frank Semyon’s (played by Vince Vaughn) multi-million dollar land deal ahead of a planned a high-speed railway project.

Paul Woodrugh (played by Taylor Kitsch) killed Caspere.

Paul Woodrugh is the Oedipus character, in a fugue state on his motorcycle when he returns to the picnic table where Caspere’s corpse is seated (Season 2, Episode 1); in a fugue state returning to the homosexual military cohort’s residence to spend the night (Season 2, Episode 4). As he attempts to repress what disturbs him most, Woodrugh dissociates at times and is not fully aware of his actions. He commits acts that he would not otherwise commit, and subsequently he does not remember those acts.

Detective Dixon (played by W. Earl Brown) suspected Woodrugh, but now Dixon is dead (Season 2, Episode 4).

In Season 2, Pizzolatto counts on his audience to overlook what is hiding in plain sight, just like Season 1.

And don’t forget, there is a videotape in the second season of True Detective, just as there was in the first season. There is always a videotape – it is an ironic and necessary ingredient in the Pizzolatto literary formula because after all, like Caspere, most people like to watch . . .

I live among you
Well disguised

That's awesome if true. #jawdrop
Old 07-14-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Spoiler:
In the first four episodes of the second season of True Detective, Nic Pizzolatto has offered a number of clues to the identity of who killed Vinci city manager Ben Caspere and subsequently complicated gangster Frank Semyon’s (played by Vince Vaughn) multi-million dollar land deal ahead of a planned a high-speed railway project.

Paul Woodrugh is the Oedipus character, in a fugue state on his motorcycle when he returns to the picnic table where Caspere’s corpse is seated (Season 2, Episode 1); in a fugue state returning to the homosexual military cohort’s residence to spend the night (Season 2, Episode 4). As he attempts to repress what disturbs him most, Woodrugh dissociates at times and is not fully aware of his actions. He commits acts that he would not otherwise commit, and subsequently he does not remember those acts.

Detective Dixon (played by W. Earl Brown) suspected Woodrugh, but now Dixon is dead (Season 2, Episode 4).

In Season 2, Pizzolatto counts on his audience to overlook what is hiding in plain sight, just like Season 1.

And don’t forget, there is a videotape in the second season of True Detective, just as there was in the first season. There is always a videotape – it is an ironic and necessary ingredient in the Pizzolatto literary formula because after all, like Caspere, most people like to watch . . .

I live among you
Well disguised

That idea crossed my mind for a minute but then I'm not sure how Birdman and Semyon's missing money fit into the theory.
Old 07-14-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Spoiler:

I live among you
Well disguised

Spoiler:
so he did bang the actress then after pulling her over? Also, is Caspere his father and does he get molested by his mother?

It kind of would make sense since his motorcycle is not where he remembers parking it. He could have followed Collin Farrell and set fire to their car but escaped on foot and met up with his army buddy later.

Last edited by chowderhead; 07-14-15 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Spoiler:

I live among you
Well disguised

A fugue state? Next thing you know he'll be butt ass naked in the middle of a grocery store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.