Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mr. Robot (USA) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/24/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts
Re: Mr. Robot (USA) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/24/15

Well, he does seem unhinged towards everyone but his domineering wife. That could happen...
Old 08-26-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

The finale is NOT airing tonight due to current events:

http://deadline.com/2015/08/virginia...es-1201507290/
Old 08-26-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the fuck.
Old 08-26-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Understandable, but shit, this sucks. I've watched every episode just this week and was really looking forward to tonight.
Old 08-26-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry, a week is apparently an appropriate amount of time before it's acceptable for us to see it.

Pretty sure they are just using what happened as a publicity stunt to get more viewers. Yeah, I'm cynical.
Old 08-26-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Don't worry, a week is apparently an appropriate amount of time before it's acceptable for us to see it.

Pretty sure they are just using what happened as a publicity stunt to get more viewers. Yeah, I'm cynical.
You get more viewers if you do nothing and show it.

Utopia got a mountain of shit for airing Episode 3 in the UK just after Sandy Hook. Different country and everything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/47tFA5t_d_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hell, earlier this year Wild Tales caught shit for being released the same week as the Germanwings incident.

Spoiler:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UEDQKxep1eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 08-27-15 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

I gave up on Hannibal when NBC completely pulled an episode (was it because of Sandy Hook?).

Why should I bother watching it if I can't even count on seeing all the episodes produced? Eventually, I will get around to watching it on Blu-ray.
Old 08-26-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
I gave up on Hannibal when NBC completely pulled an episode (was it because of Sandy Hook?).

Why should I bother watching it if I can't even count on seeing all the episodes produced? Eventually, I will get around to watching it on Blu-ray.
Was the Hannibal episode completely pulled? Or was it delayed a week like this?
Old 08-26-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't watching Hannibal at the time so I'm not sure, but I recently watched the first season on blu-ray and the insert labeled one episode as never before seen on tv.
Old 08-26-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I seem to remember watching it via on demand or even paying to see it via iTunes. I think they just skipped airing it and went on to the next episode. There was a few plot points that carried over so I thought that was a pretty crappy thing to do to the fans. Not everybody has those other viewing options.

I feel the same way about this, although they are saying they will air it. Considering these shows already come with warning about their content, I really think these decisions are pretty meaningless. What's one more week if they really think the subject matter could be offensive? If it hits too close to home, it's probably a sign that it's a good show. Too many series never come close to any form of reality even when they supposedly cover real topics.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-26-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Hannibal - pretty sure they just put it up on the website.
Old 08-26-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now I'm getting Mr Robot spoilers because of this weirdo man
Old 08-26-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by stenix
With Hannibal - pretty sure they just put it up on the website.
No, they put up clips dealing with Hannibal, Will and Abigail so you could choose to see the advance of those stories. None of the main plot of the episode was put on line. The episode as a whole wasn't available until the video release.
Old 08-26-15, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
No, they put up clips dealing with Hannibal, Will and Abigail so you could choose to see the advance of those stories. None of the main plot of the episode was put on line. The episode as a whole wasn't available until the video release.
Ah right. My memory isn't what I thought it was. We got the episode as scheduled here in Austraila, though it aired about a week after the scheduled airing in the US.
Old 08-27-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Piano instrumental of "Where Is My Mind" at the end of episode 9 was a cool little homage to Fight Club (along with a bunch of other stuff...).
Homage to Fight Club?

The whole premise of this show is stolen from Fight Club, and that's why I'm strongly leaning towards dumping the show.

A socially-awkward loner with emotional and mental problems who routinely breaks the fourth wall to communicate internally with the viewer creates a figment of his imagination / split personality (of whom he is initially unaware) who exhibits strengths in every areas he is weak in order to bring together a group of social terrorists with an anti-capitalist agenda to promote anarchy and destroy the corporate overlords under the premise of a new world order. Cue The Pixies.

I mean, WTF, the creator should be sued for blatant IP infringement. This is pathetic. The show is really ruined for me right now.
Old 08-27-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a fine line between Sam Esmail admitting Fight Club was a big inspiration for the show (which he has said, many times) and redoing Fight Club with a tech background.

But I love Fight Club and I'm enjoying the hell out of Mr. Robot, so no complaints from me. I'm curious to see where Season 2 can possibly go.
Old 08-27-15, 09:02 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 938 Likes on 786 Posts

so what episode aired last night? i have 4 previous shows recorded as i haven't had time to enjoy them, but something was on last night that recorded in regular time slot...
Old 08-27-15, 09:03 AM

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah, it was an odd way of handling it. I remember watching the condensed version of the episode online, but don't think I ever watched the full one. I want to say the full episode was available on Amazon streaming shortly thereafter, but I never got around to it.

If/when they air the Mr. Robot finale, hopefully it'll be the full version and not some sanitized one.
Old 08-27-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so what episode aired last night?
Haven't verified, but I believe it was last week's ep (ep09?).
Old 08-27-15, 09:04 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 938 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Haven't verified, but I believe it was last week's ep (ep09?).
thanks.
Old 08-27-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Not quite. It was up on ITunes within a few weeks of when the episode would have aired (if not sooner). I purchased it there, after watching th frustrating shortened version.

Edit: It was up on iTunes and Amazon three days later.
Old 08-27-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Homage to Fight Club?

The whole premise of this show is stolen from Fight Club, and that's why I'm strongly leaning towards dumping the show.

A socially-awkward loner with emotional and mental problems who routinely breaks the fourth wall to communicate internally with the viewer creates a figment of his imagination / split personality (of whom he is initially unaware) who exhibits strengths in every areas he is weak in order to bring together a group of social terrorists with an anti-capitalist agenda to promote anarchy and destroy the corporate overlords under the premise of a new world order. Cue The Pixies.

I mean, WTF, the creator should be sued for blatant IP infringement. This is pathetic. The show is really ruined for me right now.
I just though of something other things:

- both protagonists have a goth-punk drug addicted girlfriend who suffers from being unwittingly involved in their plans.

- both protagonists hate their bumbling near-incompetent bosses who mean well but are generally harmless.

- both protagonists engage in therapy where they are largely faking it in order to attempt to achieve a sense of normalcy (this one is a bit of stretch but I wanted three more).
Old 08-27-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The third is stretching, the second is just an overall cliche where anybody above the main character is a doofus - most every form of story telling uses that one. And your other complaints were pretty well established in the first episode of the show, kind of surprised you stuck on for an additional 8 episodes. This show has been referred to as "Fight Club with hacking" pretty much since it debuted, it's actually why I'm so curious to see what they do with a second season.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-27-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-27-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree about the website, but I seem to remember seeing the full episode before the BD was released. Probably iTunes. But it was long enough ago I don't remember the details. Just that I saw the whole thing before eventually buying the BD set.
Old 08-27-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
The third is stretching, the second is just an overall cliche where anybody above the main character is a doofus - most every form of story telling uses that one. And your other complaints were pretty well established in the first episode of the show, kind of surprised you stuck on for an additional 8 episodes. This show has been referred to as "Fight Club with hacking" pretty much since it debuted, it's actually why I'm so curious to see what they do with a second season.
Mostly because I hoped that it wasn't. They did a pretty good job of making it seem like Mr. Robot was NOT a figment as they showed him interacting with the other characters when Elliott was not present. Up until the "big reveal" I just enjoyed it for what it portended to be - a modern day hacker suspense show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.