Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E10) - Season Finale - "Mother's Mercy" - 6/14/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E10) - Season Finale - "Mother's Mercy" - 6/14/15

Yep. My guess is that Melissandre could have gone anywhere after she desserts Stannis but she chose to go back to the wall for a good reason, and not just to say hello to Davos. She will have a part to play with Jon Snow's body.
Old 06-15-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,037 Likes on 855 Posts

It was mentioned somewhere here that Sam is the only one who knows about the power of Valyrian steel over the white walkers. Now some idiot is going to pick up Jon Snow's sword as a souvenir and have it hanging on his wall as he gets killed.

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I think this is exactly the reason why Jon is not coming back. It was a huge tease and now the Night's Watch has fucked themselves.
(Night's Watch gets overrun by White Walkers)
Viewer 1: Yeah! They deserve it for what they did to Jon Snow!
Viewer 2: But wait, if the Wall falls, then all of Westeros is fucked as well!
(Viewer 1 and Viewer 2 look at each other and shrug)
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

Kit Harrington was on some late night shows last week. His hair is still pretty long. It's not like he got a buzz cut. I actually took his hair length as a positive sign for his return.

The question I have is why kill Jon after you let a bunch of Wildlings through the gate? Why even open the gate to begin with? Now, you have them all on your side of the wall, and you've murdered the only person in black that they somewhat trust. Killing Jon is somewhat short-sighted. Of course the same issue exists in the book.

I was disappointed that they had Alliser Thorne do it though. I always viewed Thorne as an asshole, but not a treasonous asshole.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,538 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
When Trant was beating those underage girls, my first thought was 'Great, there you go Game of Thrones, we are going to have senators rage/quit again'

Oberyn got his head squished by the mountain, I think you are thinking of Dorian (sp?)
Right, Dorian. I thought they would at least give him some sinister motive, but it seems he's just clueless.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
True that. Well, think about it - she fucked Stannis over, which IMO, was the whole point. She broke him down and manipulated the shit out of him in terms of taking everything from him and then his own men abandoned him. She wanted Snow all along.
My take on it was that when she found out the men had abandoned him despite the snow melting, she saw the writing on the wall, realized that Stannis was not the one she had been waiting for and deserted him for the next possibility. I don't think she did all that to intentionally screw Stannis over.

About the ambiguous deaths: they really pulled that card out with the previously on, with both Benjen and Syrio. So you're saying there's a chance Syrio's alive?
Old 06-15-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
He's in an upcoming HBO mini series and looks quite different. That being said...

Spoiler:
I heard that he signed up for two more years of GoT. But that could just be for flashbacks.
Spoiler:
GOT has never been a flashback kind of show. Maybe for an episode here or there but if he's signed on for two seasons I imagine he'll play a big part. Either that or it's a huge misdirection by HBO and he's really off the show.
Old 06-15-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The question I have is why kill Jon after you let a bunch of Wildlings through the gate? Why even open the gate to begin with? Now, you have them all on your side of the wall, and you've murdered the only person in black that they somewhat trust. Killing Jon is somewhat short-sighted. Of course the same issue exists in the book.
I believe that the Night's Watch was begrudgingly going along with Snow until they found out that there was an attack and many members of the Night's Watch died while trying to save the Wildlings. That is what set them off and they only found that out after they let them in.

But yes, Short sighted, nonetheless.
Old 06-15-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

From the pictures I have seen he cut his hair shorter back around January. This picture is less than a week old and shows that he is growing it long again. I don't buy much into the hair thing.

Spoiler:
Old 06-15-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I think it's pretty clear that a vast majority of the Night's Watch are not noble people who think about more than themselves.
Old 06-15-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

About the ambiguous deaths: they really pulled that card out with the previously on, with both Benjen and Syrio. So you're saying there's a chance Syrio's alive?
we now know from the television show at least that the faceless men can shift faces and also body sizes. Meryn Trant never got a chance to confirm or deny whether he killed Syrio as his mouth was stuffed with a rag. It could have plausible for them to throw Syrio into the cells and he changed into Jaqen H'ghar. My pet theory is that Syrio and Jaqen H'ghar are the same person.
Old 06-15-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
we now know from the television show at least that the faceless men can shift faces and also body sizes. Meryn Trant never got a chance to confirm or deny whether he killed Syrio as his mouth was stuffed with a rag. It could have plausible for them to throw Syrio into the cells and he changed into Jaqen H'ghar. My pet theory is that Syrio and Jaqen H'ghar are the same person.
In the books we know they are two different people. He gets asked that in conventions all the time and he shoots it down. In the show they could maybe be the same person... we don't know really.
Old 06-15-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Stop it, I can't stand it when people push this theory. Syrio and Jaqen are NOT the same person.

Syrio was going to kill or be killed in his confrontation with Meryn Trant. He wasn't going to surrender or run away, nor was Trant going to take him prisoner. Syrio, while a very talented swordsman, was fighting with a broken stick and no armor, while Trant is a Kingsguard (has to be a great swordsman) wearing full armor and has his broadsword.

Trant walked away from that encounter, Syrio didn't. He's dead.
Old 06-15-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as flashbacks, wasn't the first episode of this season the first time we had a flashback of any kind (the Cersei prophecy)?

Didn't mean to start the Syrio conspiracy again, just poking fun at the confirmed/non confirmed dead. We also never saw Shireen actually burning in the 9th episode, so I did think somehow she could survive or some revelation would happen... but nope.
Old 06-15-15, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ever hear of hair extensions or a wig?
The new Hollywood terminology is "scalp merkin."

Originally Posted by General Zod
After her long winded execution preamble she better have killed him.
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Eh, could easily realize that she could use Mannis as leverage to get Sansa back out of Winterfell in an exchange or something.
Agree with Zod (and others) that Brienne is not one to break oaths. Unless a Bolton or Baratheon soldier stopped her, she went ahead & "did her duty." And the Boltons need Sansa more than they need Stannis, especially since they've destroyed his army.

Originally Posted by davidh777
The way they filmed the Cersei scene just screamed body double in every way, until they got to the actual walk, then it's like "whoah!" But it's also not surprising to hear it was CGI. I wonder who gets that job, and if Lena Headey has any say in how it looks.
"More cowbell."
Old 06-15-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Syrio was going to kill or be killed in his confrontation with Meryn Trant. He wasn't going to surrender or run away, nor was Trant going to take him prisoner. Syrio, while a very talented swordsman, was fighting with a broken stick and no armor, while Trant is a Kingsguard (has to be a great swordsman) wearing full armor and has his broadsword.

Trant walked away from that encounter, Syrio didn't. He's dead.
The Hound said it best:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xAibbSOlGZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-15-15, 01:12 PM
Banned

So does Thorne become the new master of Longclaw? Is everyone aware of its power over the White Walkers?

Understand that she couldn't have smuggled it in, but kind of wanted to see Arya use Needle on Trant.
Old 06-15-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
As far as flashbacks, wasn't the first episode of this season the first time we had a flashback of any kind (the Cersei prophecy)?
Yep, the season started with a Cersei flashback and ended with Cersei flashing her front.
Old 06-15-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,031 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Yep, the season started with a Cersei flashback and ended with Cersei flashing her front.
Old 06-15-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, Cersei also flashed back too.

Also, I completely forgot that we already saw resurrection by the disciples of the Lord of Light back when fire sword dude dueled with the Hound.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-15-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Game of Thrones Season 5: Inside the Episode" for episode 10

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xHMuqH7yOQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-15-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I think it's pretty clear that a vast majority of the Night's Watch are not noble people who think about more than themselves.
True, but D&D had Ser Alliser take lead in it, and I think he would have known better.
Old 06-15-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why wasn't Jamie killed as well? Oberyn's sister and kids were killed by the Lannisters, so she didn't avenge them fully. Now does Jamie kill the Martell kid? I don't recall him also boarding the ship. though.
Old 06-15-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Stannis' storyline this season was pure Greek tragedy as everything fell apart to the point that he had nothing left at the end. His own overreaching ambition and willingness to pay any price to get the throne that he considered his birthright ultimately lead to the complete destruction of (legitimate) House Baratheon. Brienne would've punished Stannis more by letting him live instead of killing him because I think at that point he welcomed dying.

And Stannis' army attrition as this season went on makes me think it was somewhat inspired by Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812. Napoleon went into Russia with an army of half-a-million men (supposedly the largest army in history up to that time) but bitterly cold winter weather, starvation, disease, mass desertions, and partisan raids picking off his troops caused him to lose over 80% of his army by the time he had to retreat back to France about 6 months later. (BTW, Russia's success against Napoleon was the inspiration for Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture many years later.)

Last edited by dhmac; 06-15-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I don't recall him also boarding the ship. though.
He was right there getting on the ship with Jaime and Myrcella.
Old 06-15-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The dude that Arya kills - all he did was kill that swordsman guy, right? Pretty vicious murder for an ancillary character. I guess his acts with those girls enflamed things.

What happens to Jon Snow's sword?

I don't recall The Mountain's resurrection. Was the last time we saw him when he fought in the trial by combat?

Would, say, 10 feet of snow save a person jumping from that height? I don't think so. Maybe.

Why would the Cersei actress use CGI? To hide imperfections or to hide her body in general? Her body surely looks something like that so why bother?

How can Melisandre make evil smoke babies but be so wrong about Stannis' fate - unless she actually knew his fate and thats why she bailed early.

Where are the infamous "cock merchants"??
Old 06-15-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

About the snow jumping: I was thinking, you want to really get people riled up, start next season with Ramsey finding a now-crippled Sansa and Reek outside the wall. But unless they were trying to commit suicide, which I don't think was the intention of that scene, they must somehow make good with an escape, I'd think.

Technically last time we saw the Mountain he was under a tarp moaning like Frankenstein's monster, as seen in the "previously seen on GoT" montage.

If leeches could kill multiple usurpers (still think it was mainly coincidence) and a smoke baby can kill Renly, why did sacrificing his daughter only get the snow to thaw? Dumb magic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.