Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E10) - Season Finale - "Mother's Mercy" - 6/14/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E10) - Season Finale - "Mother's Mercy" - 6/14/15

I actually can't imagine fathom having to wait years and years to read pages and pages of descriptions of food and story lines that tread water just to get to the point where your favorite characters get screwed over or turn evil. I'm sure I'm just oversimplifying the life of a book reader but this reader's digest tv version is probably just what I needed.

Wait, besides the descriptions of food I just described the life of a soap opera (or wrestling) fan.
Old 06-15-15, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I for one never get so invested in a character that I can't deal with them dying. Especially since the book series has been doing this since the beginning.

I appreciate a more realistic approach where someone isn't automatically safe from harm simply because they are the "star" and there are enough characters in this thing that it could ultimately be Dany and her 3 dragons facing off against the White Walkers and I'd be like "okay, let's do this."

If the story is well told (and the Song of Ice and Fire is well told) then I'm along for the ride no matter what.
Old 06-15-15, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait until Season 7 in which it is revealed that either Bran or Bronn is the true Kwisatz Haderach who will train everyone south of the Wall to use weirding modules to defeat the armies of the White Walkers.

I agree that it keeps a reader/viewers more invested in no character is safe; otherwise, the main characters just endlessly dodge bullets & come out smiling in the end (the formula so often used in movies in which you can predict the order of demise within the first 10 minutes).

I don't mind unhappy endings, either, but I think that in the case of a multi-part epic such as SOIAF, most will expect someone who is remotely likeable to end up still standing (even if they're a more unlikely sort such as Sam). There are any number of 'surprise' endings that could be in store, but odds are great that it won't be the baddies who ultimately inherit the Iron Throne (if that "Wheel" doesn't get broken altogether). Likewise, I don't expect the behind-the-scenes schemers to come out on top although some, at least, may be among the survivors.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-15-15 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a minute there I thought Drogon had flown all the way to the North since it seems that every place on Essos was arid. Maybe Dany can now get an army that actually knows how to fight?

I assume that Sansa and Reek will try to get to Castle Black since she's been told that Jon was Lord Commander of the Watch. Interesting trip since Bolton loyalists will be on the lookout for the escapees and Stark loyalists will see Reek as either a Bolton man or as Theon, the Ironborn who invaded and burned two Stark children. Then once they get to Castle Black is when the fun starts.
Old 06-15-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great episode.

So much happened in this episode.

For those freaking out about Jon snow, everything is speculation after he gets stabbed. There are several fan theories, but we are pretty much where non book readers are at.

My personal 'wins':

Ayra killing Merrin Trant
Brienne killing Stannis
Theon getting some redemption in saving Sansa
Tyrion and Vayrs together again.
Dany and the dothraki

Things that sucked:

Marcella looks to have been poisoned after her moment with Jamie
Looks like something happened to Ayra
Stannis king of going out meekly, but deserved after shireen

Other things:

I'd be more upset with Jon Snow if i honestly felt he was dead
That long walk for Cersei, man I actually feel sorry for her
Frankenstein has risen!
That sand snake has her claws into Bronn
Glad that Davos still alive
Old 06-15-15, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Walk of shame went on a bit too long.
Old 06-15-15, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It's not a god damn spoiler more than it's just speculation. I wish people would shut up about being pissy in ruining things for themselves and being hyper sensitive towards anything that is potential rumor or speculation. Given that we're at the point of the story where the book is, there's no more damn spoilers, it's all speculation.
How am I supposed to know it's not a spoiler, but only speculation, when I haven't read the books?

I know it now, since Jeremy517 was kind enough to point it out without being a dick about it.
Old 06-15-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
I for one never get so invested in a character that I can't deal with them dying. Especially since the book series has been doing this since the beginning.

I appreciate a more realistic approach where someone isn't automatically safe from harm simply because they are the "star" and there are enough characters in this thing that it could ultimately be Dany and her 3 dragons facing off against the White Walkers and I'd be like "okay, let's do this."

If the story is well told (and the Song of Ice and Fire is well told) then I'm along for the ride no matter what.
But you're assuming Dany makes it to the end as well. If anything she's been the most unrealistically overprotected person in the series. If we're being realistic she sucks as a ruler, she's mostly bark and no bite, and she should be dead multiple times over, and gets out of things having learned seemingly very little. Maybe the books do a better job showing why she deserves the adulation she's been given. Not to mention if Headey can do a scene like that in the finale, it makes the actress's contract demands seem a bit odd.

But ah we still have Bran. And rikkon can't forget him.

Forgot to mention that it's almost telegraphed that if you have a "happy ever after" sweet moment you're doomed. Myrcella, uniting two houses with love, revealing that she knew for a long time that Jaime was her father and she's so happy. Arya finally getting her revenge. Obviously Shireen and father of the year having a moment earlier this season.
Old 06-15-15, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So if we assume that Brienne killed Stannis (I don't think she went through with it), is Gendry that last Baratheon alive?
Old 06-15-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If we're being realistic she sucks as a ruler, she's mostly bark and no bite, and she should be dead multiple times over, and gets out of things having learned seemingly very little. Maybe the books do a better job showing why she deserves the adulation she's been given.
That's why on this odd show I wouldn't be surprised if she does wind up the winner of the Iron Throne. If Jon is truly out of the way I look at it this way.

Stannis's army is done regardless if he is alive or not.

The Nightwatch will most likely be destroyed by either the white walkers, or the wildings who are not likely to trust them once they hear what happened to Jon.

Looks like the Lannisters and Martells will be busy fighting their own war.

House Bolton is just as likely to kill each other off.

That leaves Danny, who is the only leader surrounded by numerous trustworthy people, and may have access to dragons and two armies. Perfect battle against the white walkers.
Old 06-15-15, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dalbowski
So if we assume that Brienne killed Stannis (I don't think she went through with it), is Gendry that last Baratheon alive?
Why wouldn't she kill him?
Old 06-15-15, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Good finale. A lot of deaths in this one. Kind of glad we're mostly caught up with the books so everyone can be surprised at once and there's less hints and notes from book readers that think they're being clever when referencing things and all the spoiler talk throughout these threads. I've never minded spoilers myself, but it has made the thread harder to read during each season.
Old 06-15-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dave94
Why wouldn't she kill him?
She seems to be the type of person that only kills in self defense or in the defense of others.
Old 06-15-15, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

She seems to be the type of person that only kills in self defense or in the defense of others.
She's also one to stand up for her vows. We'll see.
Old 06-15-15, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You can never be 100% sure of anything in this show/these books, but as close as you can get to 100% is how sure I am that Brienne killed Stannis.
Old 06-15-15, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

After her long winded execution preamble she better have killed him.
Old 06-15-15, 01:40 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
For real. And her sword is Oathkeeper; not some shit like Ministry of Defense
Old 06-15-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought in the battle with the white walkers in episode 8 that Jon might die. After he escaped, I thought he would live. Killing him off now makes no sense at all.
Old 06-15-15, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well he is a bastard.
Old 06-15-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

It certainly would be in character for Brienne to carry out the execution, but the scene cut before we saw what actually happened, so that kind of puts it up in the air.

There were a lot of ambiguous death scenes here: Stannis, Myrcella, Theon, Sansa, Jon (most book readers don't believe he's dead-dead - Billy Crystal has seen worse). Compare with Arya fucking up Meryn Trant's shit.
Old 06-15-15, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It certainly would be in character for Brienne to carry out the execution, but the scene cut before we saw what actually happened, so that kind of puts it up in the air.

There were a lot of ambiguous death scenes here: Stannis, Myrcella, Theon, Sansa, Jon (most book readers don't believe he's dead-dead - Billy Crystal has seen worse). Compare with Arya fucking up Meryn Trant's shit.
Out of those 5, Theon/Sansa are the most likely to be okay. There was snow it looked like.
Old 06-15-15, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by General Zod
Eh, could easily realize that she could use Mannis as leverage to get Sansa back out of Winterfell in an exchange or something. Either way, she short sightedly choose to keep her oath in killing Stannis than saving a Stark girl. So who the fuck knows, but it's off screen, so unless you saw his head roll, there's really no way to tell if she actually went through with it.
Old 06-15-15, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts

Wow, a whole lot of shit went down in that episode, and I didn't see nearly any of it coming. I'm disappointed to see what happened to Jon Snow, but certainly not shocked.

The way they filmed the Cersei scene just screamed body double in every way, until they got to the actual walk, then it's like "whoah!" But it's also not surprising to hear it was CGI. I wonder who gets that job, and if Lena Headey has any say in how it looks.

The overhead shot of the Bolton forces attacking Stannis' was a nice callback to 4.10's shot of Stannis attacking the wildlings.

Is the "episode 10 breaks the internet" thread safe to read now, or does it have un-spoiler-tagged book material?
Old 06-15-15, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

At this point, there's not much of anything that the book readers could say in terms of shit that they know that you don't already know having watched the episode. You're at about the same page now.
Old 06-15-15, 05:19 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre

I thought it was just alright
I take back what I said now that I hear it was CGI.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.