Royal Pains (USA) - Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Royal Pains (USA) - Series Thread

Old 07-29-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: USA renews Burn Notice for 4th season & Royal Pains for 2nd season

Expected it for Burn Notice

Both shows pull near-broadcast numbers (and get more viewers than many NBC shows) from time to time, glad to see them doing well.

Well, glad for Burn. While Royal Pains had potential initially and does have some solid eye candy, it isn't a very good show.
Old 07-29-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Royal Pains has done really well mainly because of having BN as it's lead-in.

I'm glad people are tuning in to USA instead of watching re-runs of CSI and Grey's etc.
Old 07-29-09, 12:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I, for one, look forward to another whole season of Gabrielle's perky glass-cutting nips.
Old 07-29-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If I read that article correctly, Royal Pains has higher ratings than Burn Notice. That's sad. Get rid of the dumb-ass brother on Royal Pains and I may re-visit it.
Over the past few episodes they have been dialing that character down a lot. I think either they were still gelling the character (the writers, producer and the actor), or they got some bad early test audience response that they are slowly correcting.

In any case, great news. I have come to excitedly anticipate my Burn Notice when the regular network shows are on hiatus in the summer and winter!
Old 07-29-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
As for Royal Pains, I like the show, but sometimes it does feel a little tedious to watch.
A friend of mine summed it up best when she said its the McGuyver version of a medical show. Ive watched some, but only cause the remote was out of reach.
Old 07-29-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Over the past few episodes they have been dialing that character down a lot. I think either they were still gelling the character (the writers, producer and the actor), or they got some bad early test audience response that they are slowly correcting.

In any case, great news. I have come to excitedly anticipate my Burn Notice when the regular network shows are on hiatus in the summer and winter!
Agree, the Evan character has been toned down alot over the last few episodes. Definitely not as annoying and ridiculous.
Old 07-29-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20090729usa01

Burn Notice and Royal Pains were both picked up for 16 episodes each.
Old 07-29-09, 03:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hope Psych gets renewed as well!
Old 07-29-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yay for Burn Notice. I'll probably finish out the season for Royal Pains but I doubt I'll be back for season 2. I keep hoping it will get better but it doesn't seem to be happening.
Old 07-29-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in agreement with most so far. I like Royal Pains okay, it's just not nearly as good as the other USA series. Well, maybe Starter Wife.

And this is a point for a different thread, but the upcoming USA show, White Collar, looks AWFUL. The mere presence of Tiffani Amber Thiessen practically guarantees suck city.
Old 07-30-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Royal Pains -- "The Honeymoon's Over" -- 7/30/09

Royal Pains

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Hank cares for an illustrator with a serious heart ailment, a move that puts a strain on his relationship with Jill. Elsewhere, Divya struggles to diagnose a newlywed whose honeymoon plans are thwarted by his illness.

This is episode 8 if anyone is curious. 4 more left.

I wasn't surprised last week to see Hank and Jill essentially break up.
Old 07-31-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Royal Pains -- "The Honeymoon's Over" -- 7/30/09

I must have totally blanked or something last week because I don't recall the Hank/Jill break up. Also, I still get distracted by the fact that she is way too young (and hot) to be in charge of a hospital.

Also, why was Taub kissing Divya's ass at the end? Sure he was being a bit of an ass, but in the end he was kind of right because Hank diagnosed him almost immediately with a minimal examination.
Old 07-31-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's just used to House almost killing a patient before diagnosing correctly.
Old 08-01-09, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Also, why was Taub kissing Divya's ass at the end? Sure he was being a bit of an ass, but in the end he was kind of right because Hank diagnosed him almost immediately with a minimal examination.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the part where Hank said that Divya was keeping him abreast of everything that was happening made him feel bad. It would've been nice if the writers let Divya be the heroine in that case.

I didn't like Evan at first, now I feel bad for him because everyone treats him like crap. They couldn't sit down and watch a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation that he put lots of time and effort into making? Not to mention the fact that he's trying to be as organized and professional as possible and Hank and Divya are running around giving out medical freebees like it's the Oprah show. The writers seem to be struggling with the Evan character, and I hope that they can fine tune him more.

As for the ratings: Timing is everything, and USA is great at premiering shows when nothing else is on. It's not my favorite show, but I like it and hope that they don't cancel it. USA is also better at promoting their series and giving them time to find their audience if need be.

I still don't like Jill.
Old 08-02-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
Also, I still get distracted by the fact that she is way too young (and hot) to be in charge of a hospital.
I've dealt with high level hospital administrators as part of my job. Granted, she was head of IS (Information Systems) and not head of the hospital, but I once met this very bright lady who was in her early 30s and very hot. It happens.
Old 08-04-09, 07:35 PM

I hope the lack of interest in these threads don't reflect in the ratings ;-)
Old 08-04-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mraw
I hope the lack of interest in these threads don't reflect in the ratings ;-)
I wouldn't worry about the ratings. It already got renewed for a 16 episode 2nd season and averages around 6.5M viewers a week.

Alot of people in this forum probably don't have cable/satellite or don't think there is anything to talk about. Even the Burn Notice and Rescue Me threads barely get 1-2 pages of comments.

Non-serialized shows usually are a tough sell here.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-04-09 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-04-09, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wouldn't worry about the ratings. It already got renewed for a 16 episode 2nd season and averages around 6.5M viewers a week.

Alot of people in this forum probably don't have cable/satellite or don't think there is anything to talk about. Even the Burn Notice and Rescue Me threads barely get 1-2 pages of comments.

Non-serialized shows usually are a tough sell here.
That's good to know. The show may not be the best, but the setting is. I love the scenery. One thing that already bothers me is how they tell Hank's story at the beginning of every episode. I'm sick of hearing it.
Old 08-06-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Royal Pains -- "It's Like Jamais Vu All Over Again" -- 8/6/09

Royal Pains

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

A girl falls from a horse at an equestrian show and develops strange symptoms that lead Hank to suspect her father is hiding something. Elsewhere, Divya considers telling her dad the truth about her job, and Hank meets Jill's ex-husband.

There are 3 more episodes left after tonight. It will be interesting to see how this does in the ratings without Burn Notice as the leadin.
Old 08-13-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Royal Pains -- "Am I Blue?" -- 8/13/09

Royal Pains

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Tucker's dad plans to undergo a rapid detox program to help him kick his drug habit, but Hank objects to the dangerous method. Elsewhere, Evan inadvertently causes trouble with a nightclub owner; Hank and Jill try to contact Boris while he hides in New York.

It will be interesting to see how this does in the ratings with no Burn Notice as the leadin. It's leadin tonight is an NCIS repeat.

Did anyone watch last week's episode? I guess with Burn Notice's Summer Finale, this got thrown to the back burner.

BTW, 2 episodes left after tonight.
Old 08-13-09, 10:09 PM

Re: Royal Pains -- "Am I Blue?" -- 8/13/09

This show has some of the best eye candy on TV currently...however, as a Long Islander who's worked out in the Hamptons, I can assure you, it's not quite that easy on the eyes. I also love trying to pinpoint locations because half are actually Hamptons locations and the other half are further west on Long Island. (Hamptons Heritage = Oyster Bay Town Hall and that hot dog stand in episode 2 was actually a Dairy Barn - a drive thru convenience store here on LI)

This episode wasn't too bad but I'm hating the Boris storyline.
Old 08-13-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pollock girl was a prettier, healthier Juliet Lewis.
Old 08-14-09, 10:33 AM

I think that the characters have all hit their stride. Evan has been toned down a lot and it helps the show tremendously. I also love watching Tucker and Libby together and how Hank interacts with Tucker. Even Divya is bringing down the acrimony several notches and it looks good on her. I hope that they keep these characters just the way they are right now and I actually anticipate seeing this every week.

I found two things funny about this episode: when the boyfriend came in and tried to attack Evan, he tells Evan and he and Divya don't look right together. As if he and the Pollock girl look like a match made in heaven!?! I was waiting for that punchline but it never came. Also, when she came to Evan's door in the middle of the night, Evan was busy asking "what are you doing here?" and I'm thinking 'the girl is BLUE!" He didn't see that?

Last edited by mraw; 08-14-09 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-14-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The show still managed some solid numbers last night, despite losing it's lead in.

Thursday night’s airing of Royal Pains averaged 5.56 million viewers and a 1.5/5 rating with adults 18-49.
It was still the most watch show on cable last night, but down a little over a million viewers compared to last week with Burn Notice's summer finale as a lead in.
Old 08-27-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Royal Pains -- Season Finale -- "Wonderland" -- 8/27/09

Royal Pains

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Hank treats a hallucinating woman in the Season 1 finale. Elsewhere, Charlie moves in with Jill; Divya and Raj have concerns about their engagement party.

I know this show hasn't really caught on here, but despite a few missteps, I thought season 1 was actually pretty good. Most of the episodes weren't up to par with the Pilot, but I thought the show was getting quite good the last few episodes. Looking forward to the finale tonight and I will definitely return next summer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.